• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

Colbert

Banned
The details of Scorpio's CPU seem to be as elusive as the snow leopard.

YUa5nyH.jpg

Speaking of which ...

TLZ

Banned
lol not exactly, I'm not very eloquent.

Timeline goes like this:

- I received two separate bits of info from separate sources saying Scorpio's dev kit needed June XDK update to hit its launch targets.

- I HEARD that DF or someone was going to leak Scorpio's specs.

- As I wasn't sure whether or not DF or whoever would know about the XDK not being completed, I decided it was time to leak that info as it would become pertinent following any leaks they had. Any assertions that Scorpio isn't hitting 6 TF would've been false, as the XDK wasn't ready yet.

- After posting that, I found out that DF or whoever WASN'T leaking, but was instead collaborating with Microsoft to get a look at the system. I confirmed that info with several sources.

- Finding that out confirmed other bits of info I had about Forza Motorsport 7. So I figured it was time to post it all up.

- wew

So it's still 6tf.

$399 then.

Yoday

I spent most of last gen explaining that DF wasn't biased in favor of MS, they just talk up the winner. They still talk up the winner, but now people say they are biased toward Sony. It's silly at this point, DF is lucky enough to only have to judge the objective aspect of games but they are still blasted for taking sides lol
As an Xbox fan and someone who pays close attention to the technical side of things I don't think they are bias in their analysis, but they are indeed bias in their coverage. It was pretty frustrating seeing Sony games get covered multiple times each, yet Halo Wars 2 didn't get anything at release. It's pretty fair to say that Sony exclusives get more coverage than just about anything else. Some of that bias has to do with the Pro giving them more material to work with, but some of it is purely click based, and that is understandable but unfortunate. However, I do get the feeling that it will be flipping as people from both camps get more and more interested in the capabilities of Scorpio and how it compares to the Pro.

I do think there's a bias, but one that the company themselves caused.

MS this gen was all tight lipped, we are going to talk about this very important subject when we feel like it, and even for their games they hold on too much to have e3 blown out of gameplay for instance.

Whereas Sony is always feeding the press with previews and their fans too. Look for example on how sony handled Horizon, and how Ms handled State of Decay 2. Even though it got delayed Sony showcased Horizon a lot, made tons of trailers and preview events. Ms announced SoD2 went radio silence other than assuring the game comes out this year.

So bias is simply a reflection from that. Every time they showcase a game on them generate clicks so the press loves Sony. The fans see the game getting promoted and become hyped too.

Now other than that there's definitely a sentiment of entitlement sometimes but most of it it's just a reflection of how both companies are handling their market.

I do agree that Microsoft puts way too much emphasis on E3 every year and Sony is far more engaging throughout the year with other key events they have. There are many examples however of Sony not showing progression of key titles though. What have we really seen on Detroit or Dreams or Days Gone since they were announced or any game still scheduled for 2017 aside from GT Sport? We are seeing a trickle of Sea of Thieves slowly evolving but you're right, nothing on Crackdown 3 or State of Decay 2.

Yes there is bias but rightfully so, Sony deserves the recognition this generation much more so than Microsoft's output thus far.

Of course it's not jaguar people. Why would Sony come out and say: Pro is still a ps4, as the processor is the same, if the processor changed it would be a new generation.

It was a clear statement to get the message across, that Scorpio is a new generation (and the weaker one of the new generation at that)
Yes there is bias but rightfully so, Sony deserves the recognition this generation much more so than Microsoft's output thus far.
They definitely deserved on how they handled the revealing of the console, but I disagree completely on output. For the longest time they just rode on the mind share they gained, whereas Ms had to work their asses off to turn things around.

TLZ

Banned
Xbox

Xbox 360
Xbox 360 S
Xbox 360 E

Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox One X

It fits with the naming scheme of previous models and even brings the brand full circle with the acronym XBOX.

360 S, 360 E, One X.

S E X.

;)

Was there speculation it wasnt going to be 6?

Well not really, but I read "mindblowing" and took that as something new happened and possibly increased the 6tf to whatever more tfs.

Hawk269

Just listened to that podcast, so it seems that DF is gonna be doing the deep dive. Looking forward to hearing/reading about.

Is it possible that DF got a hold of some solid info and MS found out about it? Then MS went to DF and told them to hold off till Thursday and they worked up a deal to hold on until that day?

It just seems odd to leave it to one outlet, but then again, with the majority of us watching any press conference that is showing HDR/4k it is hard to discern these things in a stream and having DF with how they analyze stuff that is why they are partnering with them?

Is it possible that DF got a hold of some solid info and MS found out about it? Then MS went to DF and told them to hold off till Thursday and they worked up a deal to hold on until that day?

It just seems odd to leave it to one outlet, but then again, with the majority of us watching any press conference that is showing HDR/4k it is hard to discern these things in a stream and having DF with how they analyze stuff that is why they are partnering with them?

Makes perfect sense since Scorpio is made for the crowd that reads DF.

JaggedSac

More likely that they realize the specs are bound to be leaked sooner rather than later and would like to control that message as best as they can. They go to an outlet that is known for providing technical insight into hardware specifications in order to massage the message into the news as best they can. I think this is as good an indicator as anything that it will be utilizing a Jaguar CPU. They want to try to get ahead of that story and provide rationale to their decision.

Wedzi

Banned
More likely that they realize the specs are bound to be leaked sooner rather than later and would like to control that message as best as they can. They go to an outlet that is known for providing technical insight into hardware specifications in order to massage the message into the news as best they can. I think this is as good an indicator as anything that it will be utilizing a Jaguar CPU. They want to try to get ahead of that story and provide rationale to their decision.

I think this is probably the most rational reason. I also think Xbox has been completely left out of the headlines in March and Phil knows he needs to do something quick. Jez tweeted something about Phil knowing the general feeling from a lot of gamers that Xbox has a weak lineup of games this year. A specs reveal along with Forza 7 makes me think this is a start to changing that narrative.

Dunno, but once DF releases the info...other outlets will report on it as well. So it will get enough lime light.

Doubt its gonna be Jaguar, this will kill the message about scorpio...dont think its going to be Zen, think it might be something custom based on something in between, just my opinion after listening/reading on some of the stuff leaked.

Betty

Banned
But you can just feel it in the air from them the nervousness and panic when this beast gets revealed..god forbid all gms+multi-plats will look miles better on the Scorpio.

Beyond having 4k 60fps I'm really not sure what some of you are expecting here in regards to third parties.

I mean take Red Dead Redemption 2, I get the feeling for some you if it's not a whole generation ahead of the PS4 Pro in terms of graphics on Scorpio some of you will be disappointed.

I'm sure Scorpio will be the most powerful console so far but it'll just run games at the best framerate/resolution.

I don't see it giving most third party games a massive graphics bump but I guess weirder things have happened.

Hawk269

How do you come to that conclusion? Telling a website that focuses on technical analysis of games/systems and you give them one that has all these improvements but with a 4 year old CPU. To me that would be the opposite thing to do, because if it does have a Jaguar CPU I would think that DF would focus on that and it would be a more negative thing, even with the 6tf, 12gb of ram, higher bandwidth etc.

Personally, if it does have Jaguar, it will still provide the best version of most console games so it still will be worth it to me...but like many I hope it has something more in regards to a CPU other than a higher clocked jaguar.

Hawk269

Beyond having 4k 60fps I'm really not sure what some of you are expecting here in regards to third parties.

I mean take Red Dead Redemption 2, I get the feeling for some you if it's not a whole generation ahead of the PS4 Pro in terms of graphics on Scorpio some of you will be disappointed.

I'm sure Scorpio will be the most powerful console so far but it'll just run games at the best framerate/resolution.

I don't it giving most third party games a massive graphics bump but I guess weirder things have happened.

As someone that has a high powered PC which can do 4k/60fps in almost every game with every possible setting set to max, there is more to it that just 4k resolution. For example, if you take Elder Scrolls Online on PS4 at 4k vs the PC version at 4k, there is a MASSIVE difference in how each looks. PC version uses better texture, texture filtering and a host of other things that make it's 4k image really pop that is not present in the PS4 PRO version of the same game.

I think what a lot of people are missing is the 12gb of RAM and the big increase in bandwidth. Then there is the 6tf CPU that is if it is Vega based or mostly Vega based that all these extra things would allow game to run at 4k with extra bells an whistles. Not knowing the CPU leaves a big question mark for how far they can push things.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

he isn't wrong though, MS's exclusive output for first two years was pretty solid while Sony relied on big third party deals like Destiny, COD and GTA. Now don't turn my post into I am saying Sony didn't have any exclusive games in first 2 years. But most people bought it for the upcoming game promises which Sony is fulfilling it now and best looking multiplatform.

MaulerX

As someone that has a high powered PC which can do 4k/60fps in almost every game with every possible setting set to max, there is more to it that just 4k resolution. For example, if you take Elder Scrolls Online on PS4 at 4k vs the PC version at 4k, there is a MASSIVE difference in how each looks. PC version uses better texture, texture filtering and a host of other things that make it's 4k image really pop that is not present in the PS4 PRO version of the same game.

I think what a lot of people are missing is the 12gb of RAM and the big increase in bandwidth. Then there is the 6tf CPU that is if it is Vega based or mostly Vega based that all these extra things would allow game to run at 4k with extra bells an whistles. Not knowing the CPU leaves a big question mark for how far they can push things.

Absolutely. I heard the podcast on my drive home and he talks about 8GB RAM being available for games (4GB for the OS) and with Game Mode games can use more than 8 (up to the whole 12). That is fucking huge in and of itself.

Conduit

Banned
he isn't wrong though, MS's exclusive output for first two years was pretty solid while Sony relied on big third party deals like Destiny, COD and GTA. Now don't turn my post into I am saying Sony didn't have any exclusive games in first 2 years. But most people bought it for the upcoming game promises which Sony is fulfilling it now and best looking multiplatform.

He is goddamn wrong. And you're wrong. Sony didn't relied just on Destiny, COD and other shit. Sony 1st party output was solid too in first 2 years. Unbeliavable.

belvedere

Junior Butler

This simply isn't true based on my own experience and after countless DF analysis comparisons. They've not once mentioned that the difference was anything more than minor and even that was less than two feet away from the display as far as PC to Pro is concerned.

The differences have mostly been in framerate and textures and if the Jaguar assertions are valid then only one of those will be a factor anyway.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Battlefront 2 and Red Dead Redemtion 2 will probably be more fun to see than the Scorpio itself. I don`t trust Microsoft to have any cool exclusive titles anyway.

He is goddamn wrong. And you're wrong. Sony didn't relied just on Destiny, COD and other shit. Sony 1st party output was solid too in first 2 years. Unbeliavable.

Who am I to tell what other people should like, but for me anyway was as bleak as it could be, with Bloodborne being the saving grace from a complete disaster.

And I think it was the overall sentiment as well, pretty much every thread would boil down to on whether the AAA scene was saturated anyway and was a breath of fresh air to have a console with the smaller games flourishing, or whether indie games should not be counted as they weren't real games.

Conduit

Banned
Who am I to tell what other people should like, but for me anyway was as bleak as it could be, with Bloodborne being the saving grace from a complete disaster.

And I think it was the overall sentiment as well, pretty much every thread would boil down to on whether the AAA scene was saturated anyway and was a breath of fresh air to have a console with the smaller games flourishing, or whether indie games should not be counted as they weren't real games.

Jeez, man!

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Tell that to people who are wrong in every way. They ask for list wars. They keep trying to push "PS4 has no gamez" mantra.

Sorry, but only a Sony die hard would vehemently defend a position that posits the PS4 exclusive lineup in the first 2 years being anything more than "there".

But that's fine. History shows that's how Sony does it. Go back and look at the PS2 and 3. Exactly the same. Slow out of the gate, come home strong. It's a strategy that's worked for them.

Top Bottom