• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prosecutors decline to charge Caitlyn Jenner in fatal crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Prosecutors say they didn't have enough evidence for a conviction.

Seriously? Paparazzi photos and skidmarks/crash evidence isn't enough?

Especially since we've seen prosecutors do more with less in the past. Screams coverup to me. Someone got payed. It's bullshit. I'd be in a rage if I was in the victims family.

Lazyslob

Banned
Because she can't be an effective activist and have had an accident at the same time.

I don't agree with the prosecutors' decision, but it's disingenuous and even sort of disgusting to discredit the good she's done on the basis of this.

you realize a bunch of celebrities who may be good people but say something stupid and people turn on them despite any good they have done. in this case this celebrity happened to kill someone

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Because she can't be an effective activist and have had an accident at the same time.

I don't agree with the prosecutors' decision, but it's disingenuous and even sort of disgusting to discredit the good she's done on the basis of this.

Not really. She killed a person because of her stupidity and incompetence behind the wheel and refuses to take responsibility for it. She is a despicable human being, and should not be propped up by anyone as a symbol, except as a symbol of how money and fame can get you off.

Has she ever even apologised for causing the crash?

Nothing I can say that hasn't been said before. Being famous lets you get away with murder and avoid all the negative press apparently.

Getting off legally is not new, but I'm actually even more disgusted how she continues to be propped up as some type of hero and her killing a person is pretty much ignored.

The Adder

Banned
Then make it that when you bring up her gender or appearance you lose the argument.

Might want to check my posts, I haven't. Kind of don't talk about her much at all (this is partly because most of the conversations have occurred while I was banned, mind) but I'm an egotistical asshole who feels the need to chime in when someone's assigning a motive I find disgusting to an opinion that I hold.

Just to clarify, the potential charge was a misdemeanor with a maximum punishment of 1 year in county jail. Even if charged and convicted the possibility of any jail time at all was very low, and would be for anyone.

How the hell was she only being charged for a misdemeanor here?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I guess that's what happens when you're an Olympic gold medalist.

JimiNutz

Banned
Bullshit.
If I was the family of the victim I'd be really pissed.
Being the USA can they at least sue for a shitload of money?

Fair point, but there are other public trans figures who are, quite simply, much better people than Jenner (although she has done some good on the activism side, that can't be disputed) that young people can look up to and have as role models instead. Just my two cents.
That's getting a bit off track though, and all I can say is that I really feel for the family and hope things work out.

Zoe

They were probably looking for concrete evidence of distracted driving (such as cell phone logs). Otherwise it might have been difficult to convince a jury it was more than just an unfortunate accident.

If somebody rear-ends you with enough force, wouldn't you be thrust into the intersection anyway? Going straight into the intersection may be even worse since you'll be more likely to be T-boned by the cross traffic.

I think he's talking about when you're making a turn while already in the middle of the intersection waiting for traffic to pass. If your wheel is already turned then a bump could put you right into that traffic. If it's not turned you'll just roll towards the opposite turn lane and maybe hit that car but they'd likely be stopped or moving much more slowly.

Ingeniero

Bullshit...
This guy is above the law sadly.
JzKGOjM.png

Spinifex

I'm not mad at this one.

She made a mistake, but she wasn't speeding or drunk and driving.

I think you're mistaken. According this thread it was virtually cold blooded murder that warrants at least 10 years jail.

Also there's no ulterior motive for people being so outraged about this, as the poster above me makes clear.

I think you're mistaken. According this thread it was virtually cold blooded murder that warrants at least 10 years jail.

I think they're mad because its Kris Jenner.

I don't like her either, or the Kardashians, but from the link it sounds like she made a mistake in bad weather.

Not trying to blame, but never turn your wheel when making a turn until you are going to move. You can't trust the asshole behind you not to push you into incoming traffic. My uncle was in a serious accident (no fatalities) after a small bump pushed him into the next lane.

I still think this should go to trial.

I never really thought about this but that's good advice. I'll have to do that from now on.

Also there's no ulterior motive for people being so outraged about this, as the poster above me makes clear.
I don't think anyone said that at all. But most people still get a punishment for killing someone, even if it's by accident. Caitlyn Jenner won't, because she's a celebrity and celebrities very frequently get away with crimes without getting punished.

You're pretty delusional if you think the Average Joe could get into this accident and get out of it with no jail time.

KHarvey16

I don't think anyone said that at all. But most people still get a punishment for killing someone, even if it's by accident. Caitlyn Jenner won't, because she's a celebrity and celebrities very frequently get away with crimes without getting punished.

You're pretty delusional if you think the Average Joe could get into this accident and get out of it with no jail time.

Any first time offender facing the same charge is unlikely to see jail time. Again, the potential charge was misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter. Maximum penalty is a year in county jail.

Garlador

There is more than enough evidence for a successful prosecution and conviction. Not sure if the prosecutor is either an idiot or a coward.

If this was anybody else, there would be charges.

So hey, legitimate question here.

In an instance where you're talking about a person's activity pre-transition, is it appropriate to use the pre-transition name when talking about the circumstance?

For instance: Bruce Jenner rammed a person's car and caused a fatal collision, but Caitlyn won't be charged as the prosecutors said there's not enough evidence to prosecute her.

Or do you just use the post-transition name/gender forms?

OctoMan

Banned
Glad she is out of jail. Maybe deserved it but she can do so much more good in the world out of jail so it's best she's out.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm pretty sure it was rather obvious it was her fault.

She rear ended the car and it moved it the other one into oncoming traffic right?

In an instance where you're talking about a person's activity pre-transition, is it appropriate to use the pre-transition name when talking about the circumstance?

I'm like 90% sure it would work the same as a legal name change, it would just be like Caitlyn Jenner (then known as Bruce Jenner). I'm figure with the gender stuff it would probably show up as she (then he) or something like that.

The report still states she was driving at an "unsafe speed" even though she wasn't technically speeding.

There will be a civil suit.

stufte

Glad she is out of jail. Maybe deserved it but she can do so much more good in the world out of jail so it's best she's out.

What good do you think she will do that someone else who hasn't killed someone is fully capable of doing?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Dude, someone died...

We're not talking about someone getting arrested for smoking a joint or some petty shit.

Z412ZYhl.jpg

This person is now dead because of something Caitlyn Jenner caused and you couldn't give any less shits about her.

Troy

Banned

Plenty of other people that can do good. She belongs in jail (well she belongs on trial. Let a jury decide where she belongs).

Kinsei

Banned
That's awful but sadly expected.

For instance: Bruce Jenner rammed a person's car and caused a fatal collision, but Caitlyn won't be charged as the prosecutors said there's not enough evidence to prosecute her.

Or do you just use the post-transition name/gender forms?

Use their preferred name/pronouns unless the person in question specifically requests you not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom