• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break uses "Digital Molecular Matter"; extremely versatile destruction system

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The way I see it:

A) If the model was pre-calculated, the bullet would hit and interact realistically.

B) The bullet would hit and a collision would be detected. The colliding objects details would be sent to a server which calculates the model sends it back to the game. Then the bullet would then interact realistically.

Is it realistic to have massive lag between a bullet hit and a visible result?

The way I see it:

A) If the model was pre-calculated, the bullet would hit and interact realistically.

B) The bullet would hit and a collision would be detected. The colliding objects details would be sent to a server which calculates the model sends it back to the game. Then the bullet would then interact realistically.

To calculate the model using the resources of just a console or a single PC would take a few seconds-minutes; depending on how complex the system is (number of objects). The problem with situation A is that there is only a finite number of situations you could pre-calculate; where-as solution B would mean there is an infinite number of situations because they are calculated when they are encountered on-the-fly.

Indeed. This is where I think this whole approach falls down.

Unless they use a pre-calculated simulations for models of similair shape/material for a large variety of objects then it's just not realistic.

Also this:

Dr_Swales

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. If you are implying that a collision would be detected then you would have to wait for a response from a server this is not how collision/interactions are implemented in games.

See: network prediction, client-side predicition

EDIT:

This is where I think this whole approach falls down.

Yeah, that is the problem, the games designers would be limited in what objects they could use. Would be a cool system to have though =)

Jezehbell

1265.gif

Antialias

Having used Finite Element Analysis for projects in the past I somehow doubt that they're using true FEA. I've set a model to run on a fairly modern PC for a simple beam and had to leave it for over a minute while it did all the calculations, so I can't see a console mapping all these objects in real time.. I'm completely unfamiliar with this DMM model, but I'm assuming it's a toned down FEA model as opposed to a full one.

They published their method here: Paper

It's a co-rotational linear approximation with a ton of hacks and simplifications. The performance numbers in the paper suggest it wasn't really viable last-gen, although they managed to ship something in TFU. Maybe that was all extra fakery too.

Most engineering finite element codes have restrictions on the material model that mean super-slow explicit methods need to be used (hypoelastic models in particular). In computer graphics it's more common to use an efficient hyperelastic model with plasticity bolted on, which is what these guys do. So it's just collision detection and a linear solve. With compute shaders and some other innovations we can do a lot better than the numbers in that paper on current-gen so I would expect to see this kind of tech spread.

So it's not really a physics system, but rather a material based animation system?

What it is basically is dividing a model into a finite number of parts (the more the better) and running a physics simulation for each of these parts and therefore calculating an overall model. It's much more accurate than the classical approach and as long as you have a computer to do all the calculations, it's much more "simple".

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So more like the broken wall in GTAV? It makes sense, I can't imagine the next gen systems being able to pull off finite element analysis in real time. But even if canned, the results should look amazing and very natural.

Mael

Console wars bullshit has nothing to do with this thread, that's what's wrong with it.

"Bone needs all the exclusives it can get." contributes nothing positive to the thread at all.
Dunno why I even have to explain why that post is useless.

Sycophant only thread?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wasn't DMM used in the last few Star Wars games?

I remember reading about it before anyhow in a games context. Or maybe it was a different/earlier version.

gaming_noob

Very nice. I don't think I've seen any tech demos for the Xbone yet. It would be nice to see some of the new techniques they've developed. I remember Rare showing off their paralax mapping on Perfect Dark Zero's walls and it blew us away lol...

Gbraga

This is very cool, can't wait to finally see some gameplay.

This and D4 are the most interesting Xbox One exclusives imo

Guy.brush

hmm. PLAYBACK in the press release seems to suggest that it is just a fancy way of playing back pre-simulated destruction that was done in Maya or elsewhere.
So it will not be dynamic.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
No wonder why the object physics looked so awesome.

Star Wars physics were awesome (also because of Euphoria), can't wait to see this one in action.

Respawn

Banned
Which is what I was thinking. This would be a good application to run on MS's cloud based services.

Because there is no way you can run real time finite element analysis in real-time on a console. For one object at a time maybe, but not a system of objects.

This is sounding interesting. I like new tech in games.
The cloud is not going to do what you're asking for.

Alienous

Sounds awesome.

That shit's going to look really good frozen in time. Hopefully the TV bullshit isn't going to play a big role in the game.

KKRT00

For all people asking, its like in Ryse, its animation destruction system. It is prebaked, but geometry is rendered in real-time.
So basically its advanced animation system for destruction.

Alienous

For all people asking, its like in Ryse, its animation destruction system. It is prebaked, but geometry is rendered in real-time.
So basically its advanced animation system for destruction.

I can't imagine how it wouldn't be somewhat prebaked, unless they really were simulating at a molecular level.

Welp, let's hope it's impressive.

The only problem with this is what system was it demoed one? We've already seen visual downgrades for both Forza 5 and Ruse from their original E3 reveals...

Nearly all games at e3 including forza and probably this were created in realtime using ingame assets to simulate closely what the game will/might/hoping to look like. When real gameplay is utilized the IQ is always lost due to extra processing the cpu requires in addition to graphics and if the game is playable then it is on a developers kit which has higher specs than consumer devices so they have ample space to work on their game. Remember remedys Alan wake demos before it became a Microsoft game ? There was a remedy demo in 2006 which showed the game physics of
Alan wake which were beyond what Alan wake actually got

http://youtu.be/D3HybhZjcGE

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm sure some of this can be realtime (as per Star Wars) but those big bridge collisions must be pre-computed.

Let's hope this comes to PC.

Top Bottom