• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Zelda coming to both Wii U + NX, choose between male/female link, VA for NPCs

Who would you like to be the female character option in Zelda U?

Results are only viewable after voting.
If true, hopefully the voice acting will be good. Right choice to keep Link silent. Only worry is that Zelda has a lot of eccentric/weird characters and voices may be hit or miss for them.

Interesting to see where this goes. Potential end of lip flapping!

They should hire whichever studio did the voice work for Ni no Kuni. I think the quality and style would be a perfect fit for Zelda.

BiggNife

Well I guess the other thread got locked so I'll just reiterate what I said in here

What's up with all of these posts where people are seemingly angry about the potential of a female Link and give zero reasons why

I don't fucking get it

You can just ignore it! Just pick male Link! PROBLEM SOLVED!

Why is giving players a choice a bad thing??????

jonno394

I hope Link and Linkle are both in the game, as brother and sister, and you choose which one you want to be the hero. The other is still involved in the story somehow, but takes a backseat.

Maybe the opening chapter can be sort of like WW, where the other sibling gets captured by evil forces and you set out to rescue them before being drawn in to the larger story?

So I'm cool with the concept of a female Link, but the more I think about this, the more I'm bummed out by the idea of it being a simple toggle, which assumedly would not have much impact on the game. It only further drives home the fact that Link will continue to not be a character, continuing the "you're the protagonist!" thing that makes less and less sense as they try to get more serious about the narrative in the games. I want to play as an actual character.

(So to clarify: Down with female Link, down with it being an option here, but I'm bummed that it suggests that Link will continue to be a silent non-character regardless of gender.)

Kinsei

Banned
If there's the same amount of 'character' with Link as there has been in previous ones, and they'll let you choose genders, they might as well go full on character creator
wtzgU.gif

There's always the next game. Hopefully they include it if this goes over well.

She needs to clarify if by choosing between male and female playable character she means link and someone else (Zelda?) Or a toggle at the beginning pokemon style.

TreIII

I'd rather Zelda herself get a larger role, but whatever.

Still betting that any gender options this game includes still won't mean any skin color options at the very least, in which case, I remain nonplussed.

Griss

Rumor 3: Ugh, I hated that in Dragon Age Origins. Silent protagonists don't work in games with voice acting.

This would be my big concern. Zelda passionately explaining why they must defeat Gannondorf, then looking over to a mute mannequin of a character who lamely nods his head.

It was excruciating in XCX, I don't know how they could make it work here.

Well I guess the other thread got locked so I'll just reiterate what I said in here

What's up with all of these posts where people are seemingly angry about the potential of a female Link and give zero reasons why

I don't fucking get it

How am I going to explain to my daughter that Link could be male or female?

diaspora

I don't really see the reasoning behind not having a gender toggle. Zelda games mostly take place in different eras with different incarnations of the Hero of Time, it's literally the perfect series for a gender toggle.

If there's the same amount of 'character' with Link as there has been in previous ones, and they'll let you choose genders, they might as well go full on character creator
wtzgU.gif

well, yeah but no, because ultimately that character is (evenntually) going to dress like this no matter what

but some more choice than just Male Model 1 or Female Model 1 would be good, I think Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates did this well

I don't fucking get it

Whatever reasons they give will be bullshit

MrV4ltor

That's pretty much my feeling on the matter. If you're going to go this route, just go the full ten yards.

But it's still Link as a character. I'd imagine that all the characteristics will be the same between the two. It's just so people who prefer to play as female characters have that option and more female badasses in video games is always a good thing imo.

Ydelnae

Voice acting doesn't mean the game will have actual english voices. Twilight Princess had some voice acting and I was expecting it to return in this game.

I said in the other thread too, but I'm pretty stoked if these are true. These are all things I've been seriously wanting for this game. Awesome!!

Funny how these rumours have made me the most excited for the game out of everything we've seen so far, heh.

How many fake nintendo leaks have their been? This sounds awesome but cool down the hype a bit.

Emily Rogers is more than some random leaker. For starters she mentioned Paper Mario as the only unannounced Wii U game well before the Direct revealing it. She's also reported Mother 3 being internationally-released this year which other sources have backed up.

And other people are vouching for these Zelda rumours too, from what I've heard others mention.

If they're provide a gender option they should also provide skin tones as well.

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, that would be great as well. Pokemon and Splatoon do, too.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Lmao, for a second I thought I was banned for preferring to play as Zelda over a gender swapped Link. I tried to post again in the previous thread and it wouldn't let me. XD

Why was the other thread locked?

BiggNife

This would be my big concern. Zelda passionately explaining why they must defeat Gannondorf, then looking over to a mute mannequin of a character who lamely nods his head.

It was excruciating in XCX, I don't know how they could make it work here.

They could just do what they did in Hyrule Warriors and give link a fairy that communicates everything necessary

I mean in HW they weren't even subtle about it, the fairy's name is literally Proxi

Ridley327

I'm surprised to see some resistance to a female Link option on the basis on the relationship to Zelda, especially with two of the last three console titles offering no romantic undertones between the two. Hell, Twilight Princess is pretty explicitly about that.

Where Link is sorta reincarnated or whatever every game (with some exceptions like Majora) I don't see why some versions wouldn't be female. Having the option for people is great, and the people that don't like it can... pick original male Link? This isn't a problem and if it spurs into one it's going to be a display of supreme idiocy.

Jarmel

Banned

Because this pretty much guarantees Link as a character is going to be shit. They're not going to do two separate storylines and I'm doubting they would even do small changes. I would rather they just do a full fledged game tailored with Link being female then this half-measure.

Henkka

Banned
It would be pretty funny if male and female Link just looked the same. The only thing that changes is the pitch of his voice.

To preempt the "why is Zelda trying to be like an RPG" comments, I'll just leave this here:

Computer Gaming World said:
Serious game players, especially CRPG players, have for years looked down upon the dedicated game machines as "mere arcade toys", and for years they were right. Those coin-ops without a coin slot did provide a lot of fun for people, but when they wanted a real game, they turned to their Apple II or Commodore (IBMs were too snooty, in those days, to stoop to having games on them). Even when the Second Wave of game machines debuted in 1987, no one felt any different. These new machines were actually powerful computers, but expressly dedicated to game play. Then The Legend of Zelda arrived from Japan on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) in the fall of 1988, and heads began to turn.

Now, a truly great game should make people go out and buy the machine that plays the game. This has been a truism since the dawn of computer history: Software drives the
marketplace! Basically, the machine specs are really irrelevant; it is only the software that is available for a machine that matters to the consumer. Since I have 18 computers at home, I hardly needed to buy another machine. Yet, along came Zelda, and in 1988 a Nintendo was suddenly needed.

[...]

[Zelda is an example of] Japanese-designed CRPGs. While America has been concentrating on yet another Wizardry, Ultima, or Might & Magic, each bigger and more complex than the one before it, the Japanese have slowly carved out a completely new niche in the realm of CRPG.

The first CRPG entries were Rygar and Deadly Towers on the NES. These differed considerably from the "action adventure" games that had drawn quite a following on the machines beforehand. Action adventures were basically arcade games done in a fantasy setting such as Castlevania, Trojan, and Wizards & Warriors. The new CRPGs had some of the trappings of regular CRPGs. The character could get stronger over time and gain extras which were not merely a result of a short-term "Power-Up." There were specific items that could be acquired which boosted fighting or defense on a permanent basis. Primitive stores were introduced with the concept that a player could buy something to aid him on his journey. The dungeon mazes were incredibly simple by U.S. standards, but still, there was a hint of a CRPG.

When The Legend of Zelda burst upon the scene in fall of 1988, it hit like a nova. Although it still had many action-adventure features, it was definitely a CRPG. Fine graphics, exciting monsters, intriguing puzzle mazes and a wide variety of items to acquire were hallmarks of this game. But above all, it was entertaining.

Source: http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/issues/cgw_76.pdf

Because this pretty much guarantees Link as a character is going to be shit. They're not going to do two separate storylines and I'm doubting they would even do small changes. I would rather they just do a full fledged game tailored with Link being female then this half-measure.

And nothing of value was lost?

Wow yall just close my thread huh? What kind of bird tree is that yall not right lol. Could've atleast modified my title that thing was made like 20 mins before this. #salty

Top Bottom