• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Zelda coming to both Wii U + NX, choose between male/female link, VA for NPCs

Who would you like to be the female character option in Zelda U?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ad0ve

Banned
It's about time. Has always felt like a budget concern to me over being a legacy item like people claim.

Unless link is talking like Nathan Drake it's not really a issue.
Its totally a legacy thing. If it was about budget not a single Nintendo game would have voice acting

MK_768

How many fake nintendo leaks have their been? This sounds awesome but cool down the hype a bit.

This is different. Emily is very good with this sort of stuff. Plus, we are now hearing people back up her claims.

The fake leaks came from nobodies...

I do not understand why every game must have all genders now. True, there are a lot more girls playing than before, but on mobile AFaIK. I feel like everything is too PC now and by trying to cater to everyone your game loses its focus and its identity. Linkle would be a shame really, cannot wait for female Kratos and Master Chief too.

Link is practically just an avatar of the player. Kratos was designed to be a big muscular badass and is an actual character with a personality and Link is a silent avatar. These are very different things you're comparing. It's not being "PC" or whatever, if anything it's progressive thinking for Nintendo.

I'm surprised to see some resistance to a female Link option on the basis on the relationship to Zelda, especially with two of the last three console titles offering no romantic undertones between the two. Hell, Twilight Princess is pretty explicitly about that.

This, and fuck's sake, it's 2016.

Even if there is romance with Zelda, it shouldn't matter whether it's with a male or female Link.

Jarmel

Banned
Again, reiterating what I said in the other thread:

The only constants between Links in each game are that

1) He wears a green tunic
2) He's brave, because he has the Triforce of Courage
3) He's willing to go out of his way to protect his kingdom and the people he cares about.

How would any of those things be effected by gender?

There's also the flirting angle that a number of the NPCs have to Link like in OoT and Majora's Mask.

fernoca

One of the tweets states:

Rumor #1: Yes, Zelda is coming to both Wii U and NX. I confirmed it with a ton of people. You can choose which one to get. Or get both.

Why "both"?
Could this possibly mean that the 2 version are slightly different? (And not just for technical details).
Probably a GameCube/Wii situation like Twilight Princess. With one version having some additions tailored around the hardware; over the other.

I do not understand why every game must have all genders now. True, there are a lot more girls playing than before, but on mobile AFaIK. I feel like everything is too PC now and by trying to cater to everyone your game loses its focus and its identity. Linkle would be a shame really, cannot wait for female Kratos and Master Chief too.

If we're being honest, Link isn't much of a character to begin with. So comparing Link to say Kratos isn't fair. Regardless of your personal views of Kratos, he's a very defined character. You can't just swap his gender and say that's Kratos.. Link on the other hand is a blank slate each game without much in the way of character development in those new games. So this really doesn't change anything.

BiggNife

Personally I am a big nerdy Zelda fanboy and to me Link is a character, not an avatar I'd love a female character playable, I just don't want it to be a simple toggle. Either make link female only, or make a different playable character. I just don't want a toggle because to me link is a single character.

But Link is a different person in different eras. Why couldn't one of those be a girl? It doesn't break the mythos or anything.

Instro

Because this pretty much guarantees Link as a character is going to be shit. They're not going to do two separate storylines and I'm doubting they would even do small changes. I would rather they just do a full fledged game tailored with Link being female then this half-measure.

Why would they need two separate storylines...?

Again, reiterating what I said in the other thread:

The only constants between Links in each game are that

1) He wears a green tunic
2) He's brave, because he has the Triforce of Courage
3) He's willing to go out of his way to protect his kingdom and the people he cares about.

How would any of those things be effected by gender?

As if Link's character has anything to do with his gender. Please...

I think you might be misunderstanding what they were saying, they didn't say Link would be a shit character if they're female. Unless I'm misunderstanding myself, they were saying that having a simple male/female toggle for Link - which would likely change very little beyond their appearance - suggests that Link will continue to be a blank slate non-character, when some people would prefer to have a Zelda game with Link being an actual fleshed-out protagonist, whether male or female.

Personally, I'd be excited about playing a female Link, while also being disappointed on a narrative level if they keep link as a "you're the protagonist" character, which I really don't like (see also: Persona).

Be interesting to see how the partial VA will work. I can like the fact the Zelda series is silent. Well with gibberish notes.

Finished of TP this afternoon, and the expressions they use on the characters go a long way. I guess the proof is in the pudding.

User1608

Banned
Holy shit. Assuming this is true, I'm buying both versions and so replaying this game four times. Female Link...dhjsjeiwo

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I knew it. I've been saying this since the last trailer. I still say they'll use Linkle.

BiggNife

There's also the flirting angle that a number of the NPCs have to Link like in OoT and Majora's Mask.

Then have different characters flirt with female Link as opposed to male Link. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Persona 3 Portable do the same thing with their female PCs.

Curufinwe

Every game doesn't.

Uncharted 4, for example.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Love it.
Just give me skin tones, hair styles, and body shapes now. Totally immerse us as the character.
Also, voice acting! The crazy memorable NPCs will be even more memorable now :)

Ad0ve

Banned
In those games. this game maybe has no flirting from the NCPs, or maybe they flirt with Fem Link because why the fuck not

Shredderi

I'm all for more inclusivity going forward with new IP's and new characters but I don't think well established iconic characters really need this treatment. I'm not hugely anti-Linkle either, it doesn't really matter to me but seems kind of an odd choice for this kind of thing.

-Horizon-

But Link is a different person in different eras. Why couldn't one of those be a girl? It doesn't break the mythos or anything.
The person you quoted doesn't say they're against female link. Just not a fan of the toggle. They like Link to be a their own character in each game.

mantidor

Are we... not supposed to talk about this? the other thread got locked D:

I don't care for female Link and specially voice acting, I hope is just gibberish.

If there really is a female Link I hope both characters have enough changes to make it worth it to make two play runs of the game, and that is not just a skin change.

studyguy

lol link characterization.
Dude is a walking camera with a tunic

I hope Link and Linkle are both in the game, as brother and sister, and you choose which one you want to be the hero. The other is still involved in the story somehow, but takes a backseat.

Maybe the opening chapter can be sort of like WW, where the other sibling gets captured by evil forces and you set out to rescue them before being drawn in to the larger story?

That sounds cool, but damn their parents were really scraping the bottom of the barrel for names there lol. Like they gave the bare minimum effort after naming one.

Neoxon

So will this take 2 slots in the next smash.
No, it'd likely be like Robin or Corrin where you can choose between Male or Female Link as costumes. And even then, if the game doesn't have suitable designs for Zelda & Ganondorf (they can always wing it for Sheik), Smash 5 may just stick with the Twilight Princess designs & forego Female Link altogether. Plus, if they do go with Zelda U/NX designs for Smash 5, they may go with Male Link as the default/the Amiibo if he's the one that's the most marketed. This would lead to people getting pissed off at Nintendo for not making Female Link the default like what happened to Corrin (Male Corrin is the heavily-marketed default & getting the Amiibo, despite Female Corrin being more popular).

Calamari41

41 > 38
I hope Link and Linkle are both in the game, as brother and sister, and you choose which one you want to be the hero. The other is still involved in the story somehow, but takes a backseat.

Maybe the opening chapter can be sort of like WW, where the other sibling gets captured by evil forces and you set out to rescue them before being drawn in to the larger story?

I like this. Nice and clean.

AAMARMO

Banned
Will the curse be broken!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLQ8Mqyf8sw&nohtml5=False
ObeseSelfreliantGoral.gif

Grisby

Figured it would be on the NX too. Be good to have as a launch game.

Gender swap is cool, not like Link had much personality to go on in the first place.

VA is also a good sign:

BiggNife

The person you quoted doesn't say they're against female link. Just not a fan of the toggle. They like Link to be a their own character in each game.

Fair enough, misread that. Still don't think the toggle is an issue, but I kind of understand where he's coming from.

Jarmel

Banned
Then have different characters flirt with female Link as opposed to male Link. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Persona 3 Portable do the same thing with their female PCs.

Do you think they're going to put in the work to do that though? We're only just now getting NPCs with actual VA work, I doubt they're going to put much work into have separate dialogue based on gender.

Top Bottom