• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS4 Slim leaked ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icespide

Banned
the osiris black leak from awhile ago. also the rumor that Sony could try and bump up the specs, really if they wanted to they could say that neo is now more powerful than the Scorpio and releasing holiday 2017. theres always a chance Sony calls an audible. Though if the foxconn leak is true and the neo is a heavy/thicker PS4 then they are mass producing them so the should be ready by October/November
do people think the September 7th event is just for the slim? that would be very lackluster

Curufinwe

You do know that I was replying to Primethius's NPD comment? I wasn't talking about WW.

You do know that Xbone rarely beats PS4 in the NPD?

A3hiOVs.png

Interesting. Surprised by the design. I think it's a step back from the original PS4. Doesn't look as sleek, but seems practical.

I'm happy that both MS and Sony seem to be moving back to physical/mechanical buttons rather than capacitive ones. I never got the incentive for capacitive buttons other than maybe cost saving or something, and it was a bad design decision, so I'm glad both new versions of their consoles are going back to mechanical buttons.

novabolt

I don't see why it wouldn't. PS4 has been more expensive than the Xb1 for quite some time, and it still outsells it. Xb1 won NPD last month on the back of a firesale and even then it barely outsold the PS4.

Both models at price parity. I mean it's a toss up but many people will see a cheaper PS4 and bite. PS4 has the advantage of being the market leader. More people have one, 3rd parties are selling better on it. It also has a partnerships with 2 of the biggest 3rd party games this year. Destiny and COD.

I don't know man. Americans seem to want things feature heavy, that's one of the reason I think PS4 is sweeping the floor with XB1. I can't see casual Americans going for a PS4 Slim at $299 while the XB1S is the same price with a UHD player and HDR compatible.

Maybe I'm wrong, we will know by October.

You do know that I was replying to Primethius's NPD comment? I wasn't talking about WW.
Ps4 usually wins every NPD as well man...MS did fire sales almost every holiday to catch up.

I agree it should be close, Xbox sells really well end of the year. But I disagree with your logic. Think there's way more gamers who just want a cheap Ps4 and could care less about 4K.

Yes and in the NPD, two Slims priced the same...

The PS4 will win.

Whilst this is likely, unless we know of anything different with this PS4, then the XB1S has a chance to still sell better given it's 4K ability for streaming blu-ray playback etc. If the PS4 is still stuck at 1080 then they are missing a trick in my opinion.

Theonik

Wha? Other than rounded edges it shares very little design language with the Apple TV.

maxresdefault.jpg

50122120.cms

maxresdefault.jpg
It looks like you crossed a PS4 with an Apple TV. Square shape and top logo with rounded corners, slanted shape from PS4. I'm not suggesting Sony copied apple. Just that the two devices are reminiscent of each other.

jayu26

I don't know man. Americans seem to want things feature heavy, that's one of the reason I think PS4 is sweeping the floor with XB1. I can't see casual Americans going for a PS4 Slim at $299 while the XB1S is the same price with a UHD player and HDR compatible.

OG Xbox had HDMI in, cable guide and other shit. Most people didn't care. These are video game machines first. People buy machine that has the games they want at the price they are willing to pay for the hardware in the box.

Chobel

What exactly is PS4 "feature heavy" with?

Hoo-doo

Banned

I'm guessing that you are vastly overstating how much the general console-buying populace cares about these rather niche features. 'Casual americans' likely care even less.

The PS4 slim will still be the more powerful console more positive mindshare, currently owning the largest market in the US. It's been steadily outselling the XB1 month after month while being more expensive. Putting the slim units side-by-side at equal price is probably unlikely to go in favor of the XB1. That's all i'm saying.

jayu26

wonder what game/s might be bundled. uncharted 4 springs to mind, but I think they sold a lot of those bundles for PS4-
Most people who buy slim have not played Uncharted 4. Most people who upgrade will upgrade to Neo. Therefore, slim gets bundled with U4 and Neo gets bundled with bubkis.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I gotta say. The placement of those feet would drive the OCD/Perfectionist in me CRAZY!

The X and Triangle are directly across from each other. Yet the O and Square aren't. WTF?

I've been trying to figure out a pattern myself. But it seems random as hell.

Edit: Oooh, clever post above.

People are completely overestimating HDR/UHD to the average consumer that this system is targeting. I don't even think it's relevant.

Alucrid

Banned
I gotta say. The placement of those feet would drive the OCD/Perfectionist in me CRAZY!

The X and Triangle are directly across from each other. Yet the O and Square aren't. WTF?

there's two of each symbol. going diagonally, it's triangle, circle circle, cross cross, square square, triangle

icespide

Banned
People are completely overestimating HDR/UHD to the average consumer that this system is targeting. I don't even think it's relevant.
yep. it's a great selling point for sure but most people just stream shit now and most 4K tvs now come with the software for streaming 4K built in

novabolt

I'm guessing that you are vastly overstating how much the general console-buying populace cares about these rather niche features. 'Casual americans' likely care even less.

The PS4 slim will still be the more powerful console more positive mindshare, currently owning the largest market in the US. It's been steadily outselling the XB1 month after month while being more expensive. Putting the slim units side-by-side at equal price is probably unlikely to go in favor of the XB1. That's all i'm saying.

Okay, now I understand. So if someone was going to buy a console and wasn't invested in the drama of 2013, do you still think they would pick the new PS4 Slim over the XB1 Slim?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sorry I meant to say more benefits

Spotify
More exclusives
Better power
Better deal

All of those aren't changing with the slim models of the consoles, except for the 'better deal' one, which is kinda nonsense because the XB1 has been a lot cheaper to purchase compared to a PS4 for a long time.

Okay, now I understand. So if someone was going to buy a console and wasn't invested in the drama of 2013, do you still think they would pick the new PS4 Slim over the XB1 Slim?

Yes? PS4 has outsold the XB1 nearly every month even while being more expensive. Clearly the demand for PS4 is quite a bit higher.

Audioboxer

As said repeatdly in this thread, these kind of grey market sales happen all the time. It can easily happen legally and until Sony say anything different, this is a legal console.

Grey market sale? Its weeks before release, it is unannounced and it hasn't just been purchased from a independent retailer a few days early. It is also a foreign unit and it is in the UK? (UAE unit it seems)

Hence why it is quite clearly stolen. DF would be best to ignore something stolen and just hold off until Sony give them a unit or they can access one legally. Sony could probably sieze it from DF and also probe them for why they are handling stolen good for monetary gain (site clicks).

Elios83

Whilst this is likely, unless we know of anything different with this PS4, then the XB1S has a chance to still sell better given it's 4K ability for streaming blu-ray playback etc. If the PS4 is still stuck at 1080 then they are missing a trick in my opinion.

You can do 4K streaming on your 4K smart TV without buying a 300$ separate box.
UHD BR is a very small business. People actually interested are a niche within the niche of 4K contents. Tons of people even today don't even care about standard BR movies, go figure UHD.
It's nice that MS can offer those things as a plus in the entry level model but realistically the market appeal of those features right now is very limited. It's pretty much like claiming that backwards compatibility would change the market situation. People who actually consider that a selling point are a small group.
A PS4 Slim at 299$ (plus deals) will sell a LOT in the mainstream market. And on top of that they'll also get all the Neo sales from upgraders and people who actually care about 4K.
Sony is really well positioned this holiday season, there's a reason they are forecasting 20m units for the fy.

jayu26

Sorry I meant to say more benefits

Spotify
More exclusives
Better power
Better deal
Bold is absolutely wrong. In fact PS4 consistently outsells Xbox at higher price. Even when MS does insane fire-sales, PS4 comes pretty close.

No one is buying PS4 because it has been able to do Spotify for past few months.

More exclusives is something that is not going to go away even when Neo will be significantly less powerful than Scorpio next year. So...

More power is one thing, but they have to always strike balance between power and how much it costs. And as far as power is concerned, slim is still more powerful for gaming than One S.

Carn82

Eurogamer updated their post:

UPDATE: We can confirm that the PS4 Slim is real.

In our bid to confirm the veracity of the images that leaked online last night (more on that below), Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter visited the person who claimed to have bought the console from Gumtree.

The video, below, shows the PS4 Slim booting up.

We also have our own image of the PS4 Slim. We'll have more on the console soon.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-22-ps4-slim-leaks-online-first-pictures

That's if NEO is coming out this year.

I'm expecting a delay, so it fits in with the whole. You don't need NEO for PSVR
yes, me too. Neo and S on the same time makes sense since appeal to different markets but PSVR and Neo are being sold to the same people. The best would be to delay Neo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom