• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS4 Slim leaked ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
UHD is enthusiast at best (I say this as a dinosaur who has a massive collection of films on physical media). I don't think many really give a shit about it.

People buying HDR 4K TVs this Black Friday aren't "enthusiasts".

You better believe places like Best Buy will have Xbox One S's sitting right next to their 4K TVs they're trying to sell as an add-on up-sell because it supports HDR Blu-Rays, and 4K Netflix streaming.

wapplew

You better believe places like Best Buy will have Xbox One S's sitting right next to their 4K TVs they're trying to sell as an add-on up-sell because it supports HDR Blu-Rays, and 4K Netflix streaming.

Xbox one S probably will take Black Friday and holiday season NPD again.

I am sure they will have the Neo as well. However I do think Xbox one s bundles will be cheaper.

BigEmil

Can't believe people are buying 4k TV's this early, just wait a few more years like 2018 then it will reach how 1080p TVs are now in standard non-premium price and the tv tech all settled with low input lag, it's still too early for 4k tv

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

Yeah I agree, most enthusiasts will probably have a 4K solution already or would be more likely to pay a bit extra and go for the NEO.

I'd imagine any decent 4K TV itself would support Netflix Ultra HD (https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444).

Then I guess we are left with the people that would chose a $300 video game console over a $99 4K standalone player.

Venom Fox

Banned
I want to buy one today but it'd mean selling my current 1tb PS4. I am waiting to see this one powered up before I make such a big decision. Plus everyone's talking about Sony bricking consoles. Can they do that?

Edit: I have the seller who has one holding one for me.

Can't believe people are buying 4k TV's this early, just wait a few more years then it will reach how 1080p TVs are now in standard non-premium price and the tv tech all settled with low input lag, it's still too early for 4k tv

I bought a 4k set and it wasn't a premium price anyway, think I paid about £690 for a 49" 3D 4K set, the 3D is a step above my previous 1080 top end LG.

gamz

Can't believe people are buying 4k TV's this early, just wait a few more years like 2018 then it will reach how 1080p TVs are now in standard non-premium price and the tv tech all settled with low input lag, it's still too early for 4k tv

If you are in the market for a new HDTV what else would you buy?

You practically have to go out of your way to buy a new TV and not go 4K.

Oxn

You can buy like a 55inch LG branded one for $800, ive seen. I think the price is there already.

However i want an OLED HDR curved one, and those are still expensive.

Yeah I agree, most enthusiasts will probably have a 4K solution already or would be more likely to pay a bit extra and go for the NEO.

I'd imagine any decent 4K TV itself would support Netflix Ultra HD (https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444).

Then I guess we are left with the people that would chose a $300 video game console over a $99 4K standalone player.

Samsung - $319:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...er-black/4853800.p?id=bb4853800&skuId=4853800

Panasonic - $699
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/panason...er-black/5457202.p?id=bb5457202&skuId=5457202

Neither of those UHD Blu-Ray players will be $99 this year.

I want to buy one today but it'd mean selling my current 1tb PS4. I am waiting to see this one powered up before I make such a big decision. Plus everyone's talking about Sony bricking consoles. Can they do that?

The whole thing seems shady, I wouldn't risk the £300 (assuming he hasn't jacked the price up).

Even if it's the genuine article (I'm still not convinced), you could still risk a PSN ban/bricked machine.

I'm just waiting for 4K TV's with HDR to go to the $500 pice point. I would bite there.

You'll see at least a Samsung or Vizio HDR set for $500 on Black Friday. The problem with the Samsungs are the motion blur (even in gaming).

The 2016 Sony models don't have that problem due to that processor Sony puts in their sets, but those rarely go down that much on Black Friday. But you could probably get the 2016 Sony model WITHOUT 3D for about $1000 in November.

Venom Fox

Banned
The whole thing seems shady, I wouldn't risk the £300 (assuming he hasn't jacked the price up).

Even if it's the genuine article (I'm still not convinced), you could still risk a PSN ban/bricked machine.
So Sony can brick the machine remotely? If this guy powers his up and it's 100% genuine, I'll risk buying one. If not then I'll just wait and see.

Hopefully we get to see it today!

Kinda agree. Cheap sets don't cut it atm. You'll need a UHD premium set with HDR via gamemode. Most cheap sets that are now available are 500 nits ( not bright enough, so not premium UHD ) and don't support HDR via gamemode, so there is lot of lag. I would really love a 4K set myself, and I'll have a hard time not buying one once the Neo releases, but fact is that sets with premium UHD and HDR via gamemode are too expensive for me. In a year the price will come down and the specs of cheaper sets will have improved.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
So Sony can brick the machine remotely? If this guy powers his up and it's 100% genuine, I'll risk buying one. If not then I'll just wait and see.

Hopefully we get to see it today!

Just don't go online at all until after it releases and you'll probably be fine. Or just create a dummy PSN profile to download any updates until then.

Luq

Fake or not, I like the design!

Also - I'm really wondering how Neo will look like in terms of "roundness". Will they go for sharp edges or rather choose to go with something more similiar to this.

novabolt

Go with protection. :p

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Console looks like shit, I doubt that the people who brought you the PS4 would opt for something like this.
After the NX fake I'm positive that this is yet another 3d printed fake.

The PS3 Slim-mer should have taught you that even Sony is not immune to terrible design choices.

pastrami

I mean, there's a reason why Bluray sales continue to lag behind DVD sales, despite HDTVs being the norm for a decade now.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm not sure what to make of the design. it's OK but i think could be better. i thought the OG PS4 looked ugly when i first saw it but like it now. not a huge deal anyway since i probably will never own it as i'm waiting for Neo.

Venom Fox

Banned
I mean, there's a reason why Bluray sales continue to lag behind DVD sales, despite HDTVs being the norm for a decade now.
People will always want the cheaper option if it's still supported. If 4K bluray drives dropped the DVD format people would be forced to move across. Blu Ray should have dropped DVD like a sack of shit.

novabolt

Confident statement before the pricing is released.

Assuming PS4 Slim and XB1 S are the same price, it's far more likely a repeat of last year then XB1 winning.

I can't see the PS4 SLIM beating the XB1 S at the same price. I want one but not at that price. If the Slim does, it won't be a huge difference in sales.

redfirm

Banned
Q4g3EgNh.jpg

Theonik

You know what the new PS4 reminds me of a Mac Mini or Apple TV. More the later if anything.

People will always want the cheaper option if it's still supported. If 4K bluray drives dropped the DVD format people would be forced to move across. Blu Ray should have dropped DVD like a sack of shit.
Making consumers angry by removing things they are still using is not a good strategy. People don't want to clutter their AV racks with equipment so for transitions BC is very important for media if it can be maintained. The problem has been that DVD is good enough for many people so sales are still strong enough that studios won't drop it.

SOR5

dont like the design style for the slim. looks cheaper. similar to how the ps3 look premium and the ps3 slim looked like cheap plastic

Exactly how i'm feeling, but somebody posted a mockup in different colors that actually looked quite appealing and juicy

Hoo-doo

Banned
I can't see the PS4 SLIM beating the XB1 S at the same price. I want one but not at that price. If the Slim does, it won't be a huge difference in sales.

Where are you basing this on? XB1 has been a lot cheaper than PS4 for nearly a year now and still the PS4 is selling more.

You think the device design is the thing that'll be tipping the scales?

pastrami

Is this a thing? Buying Bluray players to play DVDs? Or is it people buying cheap DVD players and people who already own DVD players and see no reason to upgrade their content to match their TV? You could give away a 4K TV to every household and I doubt you would see a significant uptick in 4K content consumption. I think the value of being 4K compatible as a selling point is being overstated.

Elios83

Parallel reality?
Do you know who is leading the market and who is outselling who even at a higher price?
PS4 Slim+Price cut+Neo is a devastating combo this holiday season.

LordofPwn

where is this idea coming from?

the osiris black leak from awhile ago. also the rumor that Sony could try and bump up the specs, really if they wanted to they could say that neo is now more powerful than the Scorpio and releasing holiday 2017. theres always a chance Sony calls an audible. Though if the foxconn leak is true and the neo is a heavy/thicker PS4 then they are mass producing them so the should be ready by October/November

Boke1879

I don't see why it wouldn't. PS4 has been more expensive than the Xb1 for quite some time, and it still outsells it. Xb1 won NPD last month on the back of a firesale and even then it barely outsold the PS4.

Both models at price parity. I mean it's a toss up but many people will see a cheaper PS4 and bite. PS4 has the advantage of being the market leader. More people have one, 3rd parties are selling better on it. It also has a partnerships with 2 of the biggest 3rd party games this year. Destiny and COD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom