• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There was a Tumblr-Con this weekend. It ended in disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Reading through some of this makes it feel like the complete opposite of that Kanye wedding thread a while back, just more lonely and sad than weird and high profile.

Is that the modern family dad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WKveTogBE

He's from Misfits, a british superhero show. His character is called Rudy. The funniest thing on that show (that went to shit after season 3).

tumblr_lwbg12MTDE1qc31l8o1_500.gif

Alright, this is the funniest shit I've seen in weeks. I feel like I just had an extra hour in the ball pit myself, it's that hilarious...and awful. I've got problems of my own, but getting tricked by con artists and entering the Omegaverse don't apply. This better not represent the bulk of Tumblr's active community...

terrene

Banned
I find it odd that it's fandom that causes people to react this way, not the vast amounts of fucked up things you can find on the internet in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disowned_Self

We are the harshest critics of aspects of other people that we loathe in ourselves. And we are just a somewhat more cleaned up collection of internet nerds. We know this. We fear it. There but for the grace..

Y'all should follow @Tumblr_TXT on Twitter by the way. It's the finest distillation of Tumblr culture -- all real quotes!

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
In this thread I learned what slash fiction was.

...now that I think of it, I'm presuming that Shipping 101 wasn't a panel on how to best post items sold on eBay

Edit: I just found the answer to my own question. Fucking hell people on tumblr are weird.

Yrael

In this thread I learned what slash fiction was.

Can someone tell what a cis is? I feel like I'm out of my depth here. I knew I should have stayed on the gaming side.

...now that I think of it, I'm presuming that Shipping 101 wasn't a panel on how to best post items sold on eBay

Cis = short for cisgender or cissexual, which means someone whose gender identity matches their sex at birth. Most people are cisgender, as opposed to transgender (gender identity does not match birth sex).

studyguy

I feel like people will think I'm a jackass if I refuse to use the word 'cis'.

Where did that even come from

Honestly most internet terms feel like they never apply when it comes to real life. So much of the arguments you hear so often just sort of fly out the window when talking to the average person. Maybe it's the circles I run in, but shit I don't know. Most of Tumblr has always seemed like such an insular community that never escapes the net outside of certain settings...

Honestly most internet terms feel like they never apply when it comes to real life. So much of the arguments you hear so often just sort of fly out the window when talking to the average person. Maybe it's the circles I run in, but shit I don't know. Most of Tumblr has always seemed like such an insular community that never escapes the net outside of certain settings...

Exactly. I've never heard anyone describe themselves as cis hetero male or whatever. I've heard 'I'm gay' and 'I'm bi' and transgendered women are women and vice versa, but with Tumblr it feels like everyone has to define themselves as some sort of ultra-unique category that very few if any have apply to them?

I'm so confused. Am I supposed to check my privilege? What's my privilege?

Check your privilege

I would, but labeling my gender is one of my triggers.

I'd say something snarky to these two posts, but thing is when it comes to this stuff, I have zero clue if people are joking or if they're serious.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I believe it means that they have multiple personalities, one of which is apparently a vampire.

e: yup. http://livingplural.tumblr.com/Faq

some nonsense about multiple beings living in the same body. Really.

A buzzword loaded description of Disassociative Identity Disorder? Blimey. I think it's still controversial whether it actually exists, it's very rare. More of a trope in fiction, and how schizophrenia was portrayed.

So that's why people were jumping to that conclusion about the bloke who wrote the dead girlfriend on Facebook story.

Shipping and fandoms are two of the most fucked up things on the internet

If you think shipping and fandoms are among the most fucked up things on the internet, I can only assume one of two things: you are incredibly new to the internet and rarely venture outside of this forum or you have some serious issues with women expressing their sexuality in the same way men do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom