• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxone Resolutiongate (Eurogamer)

nah no 5-8 years... just like any product, I'd make the best most informed decision I could based on my information gathering, buy it, try it and if it didn't live up to expectations trade it or sell it to someone else who wanted one and get something else.

I'm playing games with the thing not marrying it. ;)

It's not the internet's fault per se and I as am as watchful and alert to bullshit as anyone you meet, I also happen to be an optimist so I give people the benefit of the doubt.

That benefit of the doubt along WITH a healthy bullshit detector is what to me, has disappeared.. I understand why people and the dynamic has changed, I'm just saying it was more fun for all of us before full blown cynicism become "normal".

Well as I've said Ignorance is bliss up until you learn the truth the hard way

Cynicism and the internet go hand in hand for the most part imo

I for one am glad this has played out as it did. MS will eventually deliver a console I want to buy I'm sure of it. Just as I was sure I'd never buy the XB1 in its original form

That would be about their product. And don't tell me for a minute that they would be received pleasantly if they commented on a competitor.

Why would they comment on a competitor's product?

Sell up the XB1 OS the XB1 kinect and let us the consumers make the comparisons to competitors as it should be

It's a poor PR position and tactic to try and bring down your competitors product

lol, Yoshida you legend
Screen%20Shot%202013-11-02%20at%2012.54.34%20AM.png

Got to love yosp

He certainly has fun at his job

Biker19

Banned
If multiplat games are being pushed out on 4-5 platforms throughout next year, publishers may not spend the money to optimize for Xbox One.

It'll be big news indeed. Just like last gen with PS3, most 3rd party developers aren't gonna spend the time, budget, & money just to get Xbox One versions of games up to snuff with PS4 versions, as they have deadlines to make. Having easier development is a good thing, & that's the main reason why most Xbox 360 versions of multiplat games were more better than most PS3 versions of multiplats.

Sioen

I almost feel sad for ms, they really are fucking everything up in regards to PR with their lies and promises. If they were honest about the xbox1 people would still buy it, hell I'm buying it and I am very informed thanks to GAF. The lying won't get you anywhere ms, think about that.

Kogepan

So what?

If the situation was reversed, and we have insiders trying to feed us bullshit, we sling it back to them.

It doesn't matter if he did it on his own volition, or if his boss forced him here. If the former, then he's simply lying to us. If the latter, he's paid for it, so why should we give him a break?

It's quite obvious that he's a PR shill, and a bad one at that. He's purposefully putting false information into this forum and quite frankly I don't understand why the account hasn't been banned yet. Anyone else making such statements would have been tarred, feathered and banned LONG ago.

MogCakes

All that's changed is people have more information available to them, are more educated about such subjects and have more avenues of communication. Why you'd miss the days where BS and PR nonsense ran amok far more flagrantly and without as much challenge is beyond me. Maybe Microsoft want to go back to the days of Blast Processing and Emotion Engine, as evident with their cloud claims and all the rest, but we gamers? We don't. We just want an honest account of what they're selling, so we can make an educated decision about what to purchase and what is best for our needs.

Since I share his sentiment I'll reply: I don't miss that less info was available back then, I like that we're able to discern what's going on now. What I miss is the feeling of being excited for a new game system without the fear of what the company is trying to rip me off with in the back of my mind. As Klocker said, optimism.

And he's done it again: thread successfully derailed (even if it wasn't on purpose). Let's try and move the focus back to resolutiongate rather than bullshitprgate.

Unless this topic is dead. I think we can get a few more gifs out of it.

le.phat

Odds are that if he said what people actually want him to say (honest no spin answers) he'd get a pretty good scolding from the know-nothing suits in Redmond. :p He's in a shitty situation. But you're right that how he responded to certain things was not helpful to the Xbone.

Then he either should'nt post on GAF, or shouldn't post on certain thematics then. This is a den of devoted gamers, largely well educated, if not on a technical level then by experience with the way this industry rolls. We can smell the bullshit from a mile away.

Since I share his sentiment I'll reply: I don't miss that less info was available back then, I like that we're able to discern what's going on now. What I miss is the feeling of being excited for a new game system without the fear of what the company is trying to rip me off with in the back of my mind. As Klocker said, optimism.

Well, you could choose to be that way now, but it'd be closer to naivete.

And he's done it again: thread successfully derailed (even if it wasn't on purpose). Let's try and move the focus back to resolutiongate rather than bullshitprgate.

Unless this topic is dead. I think we can get a few more gifs out of it.

Until another DF faceoff, or another leak of resolution differences appear, or another publication comes out to criticise the resolution difference, the topic has run its course.

Doesn't help that the rest of the press are downplaying the differences. Pathetic.

It's just a shame hardly any of it comes from the gaming press.
Back in 2006/2007 the press came down on Sony like there was no tomorrow, and for less trickery than Microsoft did this year.

I'm extremely disappointed that practically all major outlets are simply taking part of the farse, instead of fighting it like they did when the "villain" was Sony back then...

I think it's why people are looking for other places for news. Whether it be towards forums like this or Youtube personalities. They're moving away from the traditional games media. Jason Schreier mentioned yesterday that he's seeing people prefer Youtube personalities over the press and he wonders when that'll stop. The answer is that that it'll stop when the press stops treating those people like they're idiots.

madmackem

Yeah, I'm genuinely surprised by this as it feels as if a lot of folks are actually defending Microsoft here.

Yep the media had a field day with every single bad bit of news with the ps3, they also played up the difference at nearly everyone of those launch window multiplats. There is something strange here.

le.phat

If you feel ripped off, or fear it at least then there is something wrong with the value proposition from your perspective, because for a lot of us, these launches are as exciting as ever. Maybe you feel bad because you know that there's a chance that you bet on the wrong horse?

stryke

I as am as watchful and alert to bullshit as anyone you meet

Performance: I’m not dismissing raw performance. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…
#TRUTHFACT

thanks for your reply and you can say it 1000x and there will still be people who will keep saying "buh buh buh, the numbers that people told me matters" and never quite comprehend what you mean about the nuances of the architecture and how it will work for developers making the games and not some benchmarking tool.

As you said ignore them and let them fight their uphill battle as the games prove them wrong just as they did with 360

thanks for your input as always

I think we have the second coming of theKayle.

I think it's why people are looking for other places for news. Whether it be towards forums like this or Youtube personalities. They're moving away from the traditional games media. Jason Schreier mentioned yesterday that he's seeing people prefer Youtube personalities over the press and he wonders when that'll stop. The answer is that that it'll stop when the press stops treating those people like they're idiots.

The problem is a lot of those youtube personalities are no better

What about that Review tech guy?

The problem is a lot of those youtube personalities are no better

What about that Review tech guy?

He said that his "sources" told him that Ghosts would actually 720p on the PS4. The reason? Well, that's the best part. It was supposed to be 720p on the PS4 because PSN was having network difficulties so they dropped the resolution to fix it! Also, the day 1 PS4 patch will remove the DRM that Sony didn't tell you that the system had.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
Preach brother! People who decry information overload weren't around when there was no information and you'd get hosed half the time when you'd rent a game or buy a console that was about to crash and burn.

Bull.

Shit.

As a gamer who has been around for every console launch sinch the 2600, I can assure you, the old days sucked, and nobody had fun when they figured out that they fell for some slick marketing bullshit and bought the dud system of the generation, even if they had multiple consoles.

Having access to more real, factual information for consumers to make an informed purchase decision is ALWAYS better than the roll of the dice consumers had to do in the old days.

Been there for all of them including the pong and shooting game thing also. You relied on magazines who got advertising money from devs and console makers. The reviews were no more then an ad, you would buy the game and think WTF is this lol. It's pretty much the same way now with all the gaming sites, but we have a voice and can call out the BS when it occurs. For all the hate that E.T. Game gets, I really didn't mind it, I thought the Superman one was lacking though.

beast786

That is pretty damn true. I can't recall the last time I clicked a big site for news. The only reason I click them is for previews with new video or screenshot.

There is no question that gaf had more news to break and influence ie no dorm . Than any big site. The only one that played role was vgleaks

Bishop89

Yep the media had a field day with every single bad bit of news with the ps3, they also played up the difference at nearly everyone of those launch window multiplats. There is something strange here.
Someone needs to call them out on it. flood their websites with it and demand them to

Klocker

O

I for one am glad this has played out as it did. MS will eventually deliver a console I want to buy I'm sure of it. Just as I was sure I'd never buy the XB1 in its original form

Like I said, I miss having expectations and calculating what the experience will or might be like and then getting it home and deciding for myself if it was fun or not.

I remember staring at the new SNES in an acrylic case until I could buy one waiting to put my hands on it. I had already read about the cool sound and the "3d" graphics chip in a Nintendo magazine. Nobody was there tweeting about Ninty lying to me. Telling me that the sound chip was actually just some crappy dsp taken from an old Sony tv. ;)

I got it home and decided it was ass kicking fun and looked sounded and played great games...

I think we have the second coming of theKayle.

aren't you cute

Last I looked it's way too early to decide exactly how the games release over the next ten years will look and play until we get them home and until devs have time with the hardware

QaaQer

Yeah and the PS2 could run the game at 60fps if you made it 240p with no effects of any kind. Doesn't mean there isn't a huge delta in performance.

Sheesh MS employees sure are good at being unlikeable. That hubris and stubbornness from the majority of their front facing people.

With very few exceptions, you don't get to be high up in MS without being a hyper-alpha male. It's about winning, not being the best.

Jabba

Banned
This is the reason I joined GAF. That whole DRM thing was going down and so many sites were nonchalant about it all. I googled xbox one drm terrible and GAF came up as the first result. Started reading the threads, then Cboat made an appearance lol. This place is what gaming journalism should be like, take no prisoners.

Ended up on GAF a long time ago, I love when reading GAF, the truth is in there. It's a part of what the industry dislikes about GAF when news is possibly damaging to the brand. Do we all post bird brain things at times? Yes, but this website isn't crazy, nor is there a HIVE mind.

Lurkers should actually read the threads on instead of drive by labeling the site. I find it funny how GAF has a great "conspirital attitude" towards a subject from some press but when press is questioned, GAF is crazy. So dismissive.

Some of the industry try to play down GAFs importance while simutaneous calling out and straight up trying to infiltrate the site. Which one is it?

All you had to do Microsoft? Sell your system and show the benefits of that system to me as a consumer without being SO disengenuos about the systems gaming performance relative to the competition. You can turn it around within the early adopter audience if you seriously, stop with the hubris right now! Look at Sony, they have turned things around with the early audience, whom are very excited for their next gen product. Sony took a bath here on GAF also for awhile after launch. Microsoft, isn't the only corp to be tarred and feathered by GAF.

nib95

Banned

There would be a lot more optimism if there was less misinformation and more honesty. And less broken hearts or regret with misinformed purchases too.

That is pretty damn true. I can't recall the last time I clicked a big site for news. The only reason I click them is for previews with new video or screenshot.

There is no question that gaf had more news to break and influence ie no dorm . Than any big site. The only one that played role was vgleaks
Yup. I don't go to ign, gamespot, kotaku, joystiq it any other site for news and editorials. It's all corporate pr BS coated as "fair and balanced" reporting. I now get my. News from forums and various people on twitter.

Sure, but its easier to believe that someone like that is merely wrong, instead of being in a weird position with review copies, ad revenue from game companies etc.

That's true. Gaming sites and journalists try to present themselves as unbiased sources and just fail miserably. Youtube personalites rarely bother

He said that his "sources" told him that Ghosts would actually 720p on the PS4. The reason? Well, that's the best part. It was supposed to be 720p on the PS4 because PSN was having network difficulties so they dropped the resolution to fix it! Also, the day 1 PS4 patch will remove the DRM that Sony didn't tell you that the system had.

Yeah I can only imagine he was trolling us hard at the cost of what little reputation he had

Those claims were so good

Someone needs to call them out on it. flood their websites with it and demand them to

This is like a reverse persecution complex? "Why aren't you persecuting the other guy? You persecuted us!"

Personally, I don't want either console skewered. I DO want honest answers though. We're smart enough to make decisions based on the truth.

Facism

Yeah, I'm genuinely surprised by this as it feels as if a lot of folks are actually defending Microsoft here.

scared of losing their free consoles/games/xboxlive if they say anything? No $300 Halo press swagbag if they dare speak negatively about xbox?

Pretty much. You can stick to this forum and you really don't need to do elsewhere. You'll have threads where people tell you their opinions on games, insiders that have very accurate info, and all the screenshots will be posted around the time that they hit the net. So there really isn't much need to go elsewhere. And I think that may even grow in this upcoming generation with the likelihood that people here may start Twitch channels to do their own Quick Looks for games now that both consoles are equipped with streaming abilities.

MogCakes

Well, you could choose to be that way now, but it'd be closer to naivete.

The times that I'm nostalgic about are from when I was a child/teenager, so yeah, it would be. But there's no harm in being nostalgic about it.

Agree except the bold. There's nothing wrong with being nostalgic about older times. I don't get why we were suddenly bombarded with posts attacking us for being nostalgic, with phrases along the line of "ignorance is bliss, you were just naive", essentially telling me to get back to being a cynic because remembering earlier times and being fond of them isn't cool. I really don't understand why I'm being put under the knife.

If you feel ripped off, or fear it at least then there is something wrong with the value proposition from your perspective, because for a lot of us, these launches are as exciting as ever. Maybe you feel bad because you know that there's a chance that you bet on the wrong horse?

Lmao. I'm not of the Xbox camp I'll have you know, since it appears people are pinning me to that (nevermind that the reason I joined GAF was to join the DRM movement). More like there's a lot of cynicism involved with this launch that wasn't present even at the start of current gen (which was soured over the course of the generation).

Been there for all of them including the pong and shooting game thing also. You relied on magazines who got advertising money from devs and console makers. The reviews were no more then an ad, you would buy the game and think WTF is this lol. It's pretty much the same way now with all the gaming sites, but we have a voice and can call out the BS when it occurs. For all the hate that E.T. Game gets, I really didn't mind it, I thought the Superman one was lacking though.

Seems older gamers are much less nostalgia prone than I am, lol. I am grateful as fuck for the bold as well.

There would be a lot more optimism if there was less misinformation and more honesty. And less broken hearts or regret with misinformed purchases too.

Agree completely.

I love that playground-tier "my dad works at nintendo and..." bullshit. It's so funny.

Top Bottom