• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoe Quinn wins the case against her ex-boyfriend (who started GamerGate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, it really doesn't help me see the errors of my ways when you say things like this instead of explaining your point of view and having a true argument. Also..
I'm sure the mods will explain it well enough with your ban message.

Anyway back OT, hopefully this win is the beginning of a trend.

Warxard

Banned
He might've been serious, guys. Educate him instead?

If he can use the Internet to make a baseless statement that's obviously false he can use the Internet to amend for his mistakes.

No patience for those kind of people.

--
And the head in the sand assholes populating the thread isn't doing anyone any favors either. You're using a computer, you are browsing an enthusiast's forum. This shit has been going on for three years and if you refuse to actually attempt to learn about the subject at hand? Fuck off.

Adnor

Banned
You know, it really doesn't help me see the errors of my ways when you say things like this instead of explaining your point of view and having a true argument. Also..

lol

It's been proved multiple times since day one that the "she used her influence to get postive reviews" is false.

To be fair to Brave, the number of people/places saying that shit probably greatly out-number people giving an honest description of the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if most people who've heard of Gamergate heard it from an unreliable source.

Freeman

Banned
"a good egg ʘvʘ&SnakePersonJackCinco de CoñejoDiscobiscuitzAndrewBlueMadolyn Nix CCitizen Lem"

What?

NIN90

Why would she even go through these lengths to get positive reviews for a free therapeutical game like Depression Quest? Has any GGer ever actually thought this through?

My understanding: It's about someone who used her influence with multiple men to get positive game reviews, then hid behind feminist flags when people called her on it.

BqJvTZe.gif

lol

Hopefully you didn't miss my reply, as I'm genuinely curious what you base your opinion on, as I do disagree with your point of view but at the same time, perhaps if you showed me what spurs this belief I might have an easier time understanding.

Alec

I mean, it's impossible to argue with "He should've Googled." I can get on board with that.

xorx

Banned
I've tried to figure out what it is but every time I find an explanation they go on and insult one of the sides in some way so I can't take the source seriously.
Yeah this. I get incredibly biased POVs so I cant ever get a straight answer it feels like.

You know, it really doesn't help me see the errors of my ways when you say things like this instead of explaining your point of view and having a true argument.
Goddamn even this is practically word for word the typical gator spiel.

Not sure what there is to argue about when there wasn't actually an argument in the first place either lol

You know why there's so much hostility against GamerGate?

It's because of juniors like this guy who do the "I don't understand what this GamerGate thing is, but <Insert accusation that was disproven in 2014>" schtick.

We lost patience for this bullshit a long time ago.
And if a junior gets banned for getting annoyingly argumentative about discussed-to-death claims that have long since been disproven, people that spend no time on gaf start screaming "censorship" and "hive mind".

Gator86

He might've been serious, guys. Educate him instead?

They're posting on a message board on the internet. Maybe try googling it before shitting out garbage like that. If you're accusing people of "hiding behind feminism" the world would be better with you educating yourself quietly somewhere instead of shitposting on a message board anyway.

BibiMaghoo

lol

Essentially your understanding is the exact argument used by shitheads to discredit her, hence the tone of the replies.

Oh grow up, even if that were true, the things that have happened since more than show the true colours of everybody involved

That was what her boyfriend claimed back then, but nothing was proved to be right. His post at least can be used as an example of what started all.

galvatron

Good.

Ex boyfriend with an axe to grind started a witch hunt against her that spiraled into a harassment campaign against women perceived to be "SJWs".

I thought I also didn't understand, since it's so dumb that I thought that I must have missed something in the middle...

23qwerty

My understanding: It's about someone who used her influence with multiple men to get positive game reviews, then hid behind feminist flags when people called her on it.

Oof, I'm really not surprised based on your posts over in OT in that loss of respect thread.

Nanashrew

Banned
I still till this day don't know what gamergate is.

You are not the only one, on the same boat. I tried to learn what gg is, but its really confusing.

I thought I was the only one... and I post on GAF almost every day.

What's in the OP pretty much tells the story. GG rallies behind Zoe's ex and other key figures. He hates Zoe, he's abusive and so on. That guy plays the victim to manipulates people to his side and has gotten gamergate to attack her further and calling her a whore and all the awful things you can imagine.

They never let up their attack and no matter how many you block, they just create a new account. They have a lot of sock-puppet accounts to use. They hate women, believe that they're not gamers and intruding in on their space. Even saying that women are ruining video games. That's not to mention the doxxing they will do if they personally don't like you. They also have a lot of white nationalists/neo nazis in their groups and even side. Oh and another big kicker! They side with Jack Thompson just because he had a dumb thing to say about Anita. The guy who actually and outright, tried to ban video games.

They're a hate group in video games and do it all under the phrase "this is about ethics in game journalism."

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

So would you say it's about ethics in games journalism?

Famassu

I still till this day don't know what gamergate is.
Gamergaters are a bunch of MRA-type whiny manbabies using horrible means to try to silence socially progressive/politically active types (mostly women, but also some men who support those women) who want better representation for minorities & genders other than white straight men. They hide behind claiming their movement is about "ethics in video games" but are really only doing it because they feel threatened by a shift in the status quo that sees their centuries long dominant stature in the world diminishing a little as gays, women & black people, among others, are getting getting treatment a little closer to being equal to how white, straight men get treated. They perceive that as being others dragging them down to their level & taking their rights & such away when it's really just others finally getting a better chance to climb closer to the often privileged life of white, straight men.

They are (mostly) men who don't perceive there to be any huge inequalities for blacks & other ethnic minorities, gays, women etc. in the world and feel that any increase in representation for those groups is something away from their fun and is just "SJW" bullshit that forces black, gay & female main characters down people's throats.

Haha, this has been disproven a long time ago. At least your username is appropriate.

Gator86

If he can use the Internet to make a baseless statement that's obviously false he can use the Internet to amend for his mistakes.

No patience for those kind of people.

--
And the head in the sand assholes populating the thread isn't doing anyone any favors either. You're using a computer, you are browsing an enthusiast's forum. This shit has been going on for three years and if you refuse to actually attempt to learn about the subject at hand? Fuck off.

giphy.gif

It may've seemed that way initially, and may even be true in some tiny but ultimately meaningless way, but it took barely a moment for Gamer Gate to develop into a harassment campaign that spams death threats and aggressively digs into private citizens' backgrounds over even the most innocuous of opinions and statements. They keep saying it's about journalistic integrity, but obsess over feminism rather than the obvious problem of gaming journalism being funded by the industry it's supposed to report on (a problem with most enthusiast media).

Anarky

Banned
Gamergators every time someone makes a thread about gamergate:

E16.png

Just replace 'write' with 'talk' and it's pretty accurate.

Regardless of the grander implications of GG, It must be cathartic for her to win the case. Her life, as well as many others, has spiraled out of control because of assholes on the internet.

Hope things get better for her and anyone else affect negatively.

Toxi

Banned
It may've seemed that way initially, and may even be true in some tiny but ultimately meaningless way, but it took barely a moment for Gamer Gate to develop into a harassment campaign that spams death threats and aggressively digs into private citizens' backgrounds over even the most innocuous of opinions and statements. They keep saying it's about journalistic integrity, but obsess over feminism rather than the obvious problem of gaming journalism being funded by the industry it's supposed to report on (a problem with most enthusiast media).
There is no evidence it happened. None.

That is what makes it so ridiculous to see someone make that accusation in 2016. In a thread about Zoe Quinn finally getting some respite from the shit her ex started, we still have juniors coming out of the woodwork to parrot baseless accusations.

It was disappointing to read this and then discover you weren't (yet) banned.

Great job. You should apply to work for trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom