• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoe Quinn wins the case against her ex-boyfriend (who started GamerGate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad for Zoe, I don't think many people would have the strength to fight so much bullshit and still want to fight some more. Quite an example of a courageous person. I hope that at least the efforts that she and others are doing are worth something in the long run.

My understanding: It's about someone who used her influence with multiple men to get positive game reviews, then hid behind feminist flags when people called her on it.

Your understanding is a wrong one, that has been proven fake since a long time ago.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm glad she won her court case. And I am so ,so glad he lost because he deserves to lose. He's a loser and a sack of shit.

Mikeside

That was what her boyfriend claimed back then, but nothing was proved to be right. His post at least can be used as an example of what started all.

Oh yeah, it's not true, but my point is that it doesn't matter.

at this point she could have slept her way to a 100 metacritic score & sent her ex a detailed description of every fuck and it wouldn't be worthy of the hugely abusive response she (and so many other women and outspoken pro-equality men in the industry) have received.

This is just about small-minded idiots with a free soapbox: the internet, and they're using it to hurt other people because they think it's funny & don't understand the real life implications of their words and actions

We should probably distribute a note explaining GrambleGrimps to every new member's PM inbox when they sign up so that when someone comes in here spewing this shit we don't have to question if they're genuinely ignorant or just a Gator looking to spew their bile over yet another thread.

You know why there's so much hostility against GamerGate?

It's because of juniors like this guy who do the "I don't understand what this GamerGate thing is, but <Insert accusation that was disproven in 2014>" schtick.

We lost patience for this bullshit a long time ago.

Bro but what if like, someone was just asking questions?

And of course, both sides.

Damn Neogaf!

Back at it again with the dog piling!
Should we not dogpile people who come into GG threads to spread misinformation or beg us to do the research for them on a movement that had been going on for years as well as have had many articles written about them on major gaming sites?

Also good use of a dead and outplayed meme.

My understanding: It's about someone who used her influence with multiple men to get positive game reviews, then hid behind feminist flags when people called her on it.

Only that's slander. If there were evidence, she would have likely been sued.
Even IF it were true, the death threats and harassment are still not justified.

Cheebo

Banned

Your user-name sounds familiar....

Oh thats right, you were the same guy who also this WEEK defended the racist #AllLivesMatter nonsense, and said you don't like fat acceptance.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=203673177&highlight=#post203673177
Your pro-gamergate post makes a lot more sense now.

Edit: Oh well thats over.

rhandino

Banned

YVt7BtS.gif

L Thammy

In a nutshell, think of the abomination offspring of the Tea Party and Religious Extremists who want to "behead those who insult X," but for videogames.

I think religious extremists might be the wrong camp to put into it. Aren't there a huge amount of anti-feminist atheist personalities support Gamergate as well? I distinctly recall hearing something about a wave of anti-feminist sentiment following comment from Richard Dawkins silencing a woman who had been stalked after an atheist meeting.

fernoca

At least some justice.

Thoygh if anything, it was Adam Baldwin the one that coined the #gamergate hashtag/name.

The ex-bf just did the campaign/harassing before that, which name aside; it is sadly quite normal online.

Warxard

Banned
Bro but what if like, someone was just asking questions?

And of course, both sides.

If you're on a gaming enthusiast's forum you should be expected to have awareness of things that go on within the industry.

ESPECIALLY if you're a fucking junior. Let's be anecdotal-- for every member of GAF whose told me of the site before I signed up it was mostly because of gaming side. I'm a dude who enjoys video games -- I'm gonna sign up to talk about games.

Nah, we live in an age where information is at your fucking fingertips and I expect nothing more than people to be educated when using it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Awesome, now watch her get harassed by the defenders of free speech once again (though it probably never stopped)

adj_noun

It's worth people posting shit like that on the first page so we can root them out.

Sometimes I honestly do wonder if they have a bunch of sacrificial junior accounts ready to hurl off the cliff.

Every darn time there's a thread on this stuff. You can almost set your watch by it.

Famassu

She maybe had sex once or twice or just dated some game journalist or two for a short while and also happens to be a female game developer, which OBVIOUSLY means that she's a she-demon temptress whore only after dem reviews for a F2P game. Because otherwise it's impossible for a game developer to meet game journalists and start dating them. She's a woman so there has to be something devious behind her actions instead of her just dating around and not finding these men to be some Beelzebub's Gifts to women. Of course feminazis were behind this grand masterplan all along.

Yeah, that's it.

Toxi

Banned
If you're on a gaming enthusiast's forum you should be expected to have awareness of things that go on within the industry.

ESPECIALLY if you're a fucking junior. Let's be anecdotal-- for every member of GAF whose told me of the site before I signed up it was mostly because of gaming side. I'm a dude who enjoys video games -- I'm gonna sign up to talk about games.

Nah, we live in an age where information is at your fucking fingertips and I expect nothing more than people to be educated when using it.
SheepyGuy's making a joke dude. :p

Fat4all

Banned
Your user-name sounds familiar....

Oh thats right, you were the same guy who also this WEEK defended the racist #AllLivesMatter nonsense, and said you don't like fat acceptance.

Huh, I didn't even remember that I argued with him about the fats.

Now it makes more sense.

To be fair, from most of my friends I've heard mostly this opinion too. It's not that it's correct though. I haven't been following this saga much either but I believe the correction in your statement is that a group of people have been cyberbullying others on the allegation that someone is at the centre of a vast game reviews and awards conspiracy.

The mainstream opinion isn't always the correct one and most certainly a mainstream opinion from so called hardcore gamers should be taken with a grain of salt. Whether or not your statement is true is besides the point because realistically; in any situation - mob mentality witch hunts should not be justified in any shape or form as an adult and indeed legal way to conduct yourself online.

Ruining lives and indeed careers over allegations and twitter folk-tales is really the true issue here.

Another issue is of course that what you said is what most people in gaming circles believe is what the situation is. Which is a shame but it's not something that can be undone due to the male-centric culture of gaming itself.

Once again I haven't been following this closely so someone feel free to correct me.

I still till this day don't know what gamergate is.

Thought I understood it for a while, but something always comes along to confuse me. It seems to boil down to MRAs vs third wave feminism, at least as a super simplified explanation of it. It's hard to find unbiased sources and all that, but it doesn't seem to be an entirely black and white issue (even though one side is FAR more "black" than the other).

Edit: Yeah, and didn't the ex-boyfriend coin the term Quinspiracy and not gamergate? It's been a while.

Toxi

Banned
Sometimes I honestly do wonder if they have a bunch of sacrificial junior accounts ready to hurl off the cliff.

Every darn time there's a thread on this stuff. You can almost set your watch by it.
They do. This isn't one of them, but many of the junior accounts throwing themselves off the cliff in these threads are obvious burner accounts that haven't posted in years. I've seen threads on a certain deleted reddit from banned folks with multiple accounts.

This is fantastic news though, hope it sets a precedent for the courts that this kinda shit won't fly and threatening, horrible tweets just aren't acceptable. Just so sick of GG, glad there's some despite happening.

Canucked

There was a great informative post with links in one of the old threads that I think should still be used for everyone who enters a gamer gate thread saying "I have no clue what gamer gate is" or "it's not a game, why bother?" I wish I could find it.

Toxi

Banned
Edit: Yeah, and didn't the ex-boyfriend coin the term Quinspiracy and not GamerGate? It's been a while.
Yes, though Quinspiracy was what spawned GamerGate.
There was a great informative post with links in one of the old threads that I think should still be used for everyone who enters a gamer gate thread saying "I have no clue what gamer gate is" or "it's not a game, why bother?" I wish I could find it.
Here you go.

L Thammy

To be fair, from most of my friends I've heard mostly this opinion too. It's not that it's correct though. I haven't been following this saga much either but I believe the correction in your statement is that a group of people have been cyberbullying others on the allegation that someone is at the centre of a vast game reviews and awards conspiracy.

The mainstream opinion isn't always the correct one and most certainly a mainstream opinion from so called hardcore gamers should be taken with a grain of salt. Whether or not your statement is true is besides the point because realistically; in any situation - mob mentality witch hunts should not be justified in any shape or form as an adult and indeed legal way to conduct yourself online.

Ruining lives and indeed careers over allegations and twitter folk-tales is really the true issue here. It annoys me when people spout "I'm tired" instead of educating people who claim not to know because I don't think Gamergate is nearly as tired. Give them the information, if they're still actively rejecting it, then they can fuck right off.

Another issue is of course that what you said is what most people in gaming circles believe is what the situation is. Which is a shame but it's not something that can be undone due to the male-centric culture of gaming itself.

Once again I haven't been following this closely so someone feel free to correct me.

I went to a family gathering once, Thanksgiving or Christmas or something like that, and a relative of mine was ranting about how much he hated Gamergate. We talk about video games whenever we meet, so this wasn't strange that he was bringing the topic up, for the record. The thing was, even though he absolutely hated them for the harassment they've caused and even how they make it harder to voice actual complaints about gaming journalism, he still believed that that they were originally about gaming journalism.

Gamergate has actively pushed their narrative, I think they've been fairly successful about it, which is the scary thing.

Yeah, if someone post here they're obviously curious about it so I don't understand why post stuff like that instead of doing a little research.

Maybe I'm naive, but I honestly think that a lot of people who go into Gamergate threads and act proud of not knowing anything are genuinely proud of not knowing anything. It's really easy to see a conflict and say "I'm superior to all of these people because I'm in the middle!", especially if you don't know anything about it.

Hahahaha, oh buddy.

You're cute.

EDIT: Of course he trapped me seconds before he was banned and before I read the four pages following giving him the what for. Sorry for the pointless dogpile post.

Toxi

Banned
Honestly while the initial post definitely is bullshit slander, the amount of junior calling and waving to the mods for a ban isn't really anything to be proud of either.

We're better than that, GAF.
It has been two years of junior accounts feigning ignorance so they can spout bullshit.

Some people are better than that. Not me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom