• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metal Gear Solid V previews coming 6/9 (no story info though)

Ishida

Banned
Skip-Bayless-Looks-at-Camera-Shakes-Head.gif

Some of the most cringe worthy, absurd scenes in the series without question. The previous ones had them too, but 4 was on another level. I remember being in awe of the sheer stupidity of some of them. Add those to the crazy drawn out, boring ones and...man, fuck that game. Every time I think about it. Fuck that game.

No, not really. The game was awesome. You can hate it all you want, as long as you acknowledge your opinion is an unpopular one. ;)

PyxGqSg.png

Alienous

Some previewers think that happened.

I wouldn't put it past Kojima to use an early preview to keep some secrets. It would probably be the best way of going about it nowadays; make people think they know what's happening then surprise on launch day.

I doubt it, but it's possible.

I always forget how fuckin' terrible MGS4's narrative was until people post screens.

Thank God that wasn't Kojima's farewell on this franchise. Good riddance.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Gameplay wise MGS4 was solid.

I see what you did there.

There wasn't enough of it. Plus, it didn't explore the new mechanics it brought to the table nearly enough for my liking. The need for closure on all the threads from past titles completely derailed the gameplay by the end. Damn shame.

Man, I hope they bring back pitched battles in TPP.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No, not really. The game was awesome. You can hate it all you want, as long as you acknowledge your opinion is an unpopular one. ;)

PyxGqSg.png
It really isn't. That games reputation popularity tanked after initial critical reaction. I think of it as generally disliked among the MGS fan base.

There should be an updated poll among the fan base. I am sure it would score below MGS1-3.

jrush64

Banned
but metacritic!

I dont know if youre being sarcastic or something. I dont get what you mean. MGS4 was a great game that deserved high ratings.

I was extremely disappointed with the story and conclusion to Snake's story. I dont even acknowledge MGS4 anymore.

@ Screaming Meat

I wasnt actually being sarcastic.

cackhyena

It really isn't. That games reputation popularity tanked after initial critical reaction. I think of it as generally disliked among the MGS fan base.

There should be an updated poll among the fan base. I am sure it would score below MGS1-3.

I really don't see how it wouldn't.

usp84

yes it really is!I think the game won game of the year a second time here in gaf also so your argument is invalid. I dont think the opinion of some people represents the general feeling about this game

LowSignal

From what has been shown I think this metal gear will be better than MGS4. I disliked MGS4. IMO it was a beautiful looking game at the time but almost everything else was below average. If it was the same game but without the Metal gear name and characters it would have been meet with much harsher criticism.

BocoDragon

That actually happen

dat gap in points between 3 and 4 tho...
Case in point.

6% of MGS fans on GAF think 4 is the best Metal Gear. In a game with only 4 big entries to choose from (PW is good but you can tell many fans haven't played it)

Now the "least best" Metal Gear doesn't imply that it's the worst Metal Gear... But when I say the game is generally disliked, I think this backs up that fact.

usp84

Case in point.

6% of MGS fans on GAF think 4 is the best Metal Gear. In a game with only 4 big entries to choose from (PW is good but you can tell many fans haven't played it)

Now the "least best" Metal Gear doesn't imply that it's the worst Metal Gear... But when I say the game is generally disliked, I think this backs up that fact.

No it doesnt.The only thing it proves is that it is considered 4th best(or second from last) from the metal gear games.

This has nothing to do with how people view mgs4 generally.Yes the game that actually won goty twice in neogaf lol

Imm0rt4l

The game does have shortcomings. I never said it didn't. But it got the Metacritic score it got because the game was easily one of the best of the last generation. ;)

Well, just remember something. You are in a minority on that opinion. ;)
The generation? Nah. 2008? For sure.

Ishida

Banned

That's not true. The game is as popular as ever.

Besides it won GOTY here at GAF twice.

Only a handful of people around here dislike it.

what else would even win in 2008 on this website. LittleBigPlanet or Dead Space 1? The worst Smash Bros? Pretty weak competition outside Fallout 3.

Imm0rt4l

I don't know why that's supposed to mean something to people that can't stand it.
Yeah. I'd vote it as my GOTY again, that's more of an indictment of the competition in the year it came out.

I think a lot of even the most ardent MGS fans dislike mgs4.

what else would even win in 2008 on this website. LittleBigPlanet or Dead Space 1? The worst Smash Bros? Pretty weak competition outside Fallout 3.
This.

GTA4 was in the running too iirc, but that game was like the worst recieved number GTA(by fans, not the press who gushed about its being Oscar caliber writing)

BocoDragon

No i doesnt.The only thing it proves is that it is considered 4th best(or second from last) from the metal gear games.

This has nothing to do with how people view mgs4 generally.Yes the game that actually won goty twice in neogaf lol
If you really don't think the game tanked in the mind of the fanbase over time, you have deluded yourself. I am confidant we could take all the polls we want today and we'll find that opinion has soured on it.

I don't care about GAF's game of the year. For all I know that poll represents how much of the old GAF demographic bought PS3s and like Japanese console games more than Fallout 3 or whatever. MGS4 was a big shiny game for that year and maybe it was our favorite big shiny game of that moment. I think I voted for it and I'm sour on it now. It's a sign of the times of 2008. .... But beloved classic game? Good Metal Gear game? That's not indicated by that GAF poll at all.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
AAAAAAANYWAY

So folk are worried about the lack of cutscenes in TPP?

I think the trailers we've already seen have quite a smorgasbord of different scenes and settings in them. I imagine they're spread out more than other games in the series (no bad thing... MGS4 intro, I'm looking at you), but from what we've been shown, I somehow doubt Kojima will be skimping on the story side of things.

Ishida

Banned
If you really don't think the game tanked in the mind of the fanbase over time, you have deluded yourself. I am confidant we could take all the polls we want today and we'll find that opinion has soured on it.

I don't care about GAF's game of the year. For all I know that poll represents how much of the old GAF demographic bought PS3s and like Japanese console games more than Fallout 3 or whatever. MGS4 was a big shiny game for that year and maybe it was our favorite big shiny game of that moment. I think I voted for it and I'm sour on it now. It's a sign of the times of 2008. .... But beloved classic game? Good Metal Gear game? That's not indicated by that GAF poll at all.

Not only it was a good Metal Gear game. It was one of the best.

AAAAAAANYWAY

So folk are worried about the lack of cutscenes in TPP?

I think the trailers we've already seen have quite a smorgasbord of different scenes and settings in them. I imagine they're spread out more than other games in the series (no bad thing... MGS4 intro, I'm looking at you), but from what we've been shown, I somehow doubt Kojima will be skimping on the story side of things.

They spent a year mocapping the cutscenes so it's a bit strange people think there's barely going to be any. Half of the cutscenes in MGS3 happen after Snake gets to Groznyj Grad.

usp84

Yes but on your post above you seem to think a different poll on GAF makes your "case". How come you care about that poll? I am sorry but all you got is some people's opinion on this site and there is no proof to what you are saying.On the other hand everything about his game(reviews, polls and general reactions) indicates that most people liked it even though they would rank it as the weakest of the main mgs.

cackhyena

You mean why do you dislike the game? I don't know, maybe you feel the story was terrible, the graphics were terrible, the gameplay was terrible, the music was terrible?

Graphics were great for the time and the game play was an evolution of 3, so it was fine. I'm sure there's plenty of people that like the story. I feel it's objectively bad, as are the bloated, embarrassing cut scenes.

I'll take plenty less of that and the best game play the series has ever had in TPP, judging by GZ. Less cringe, more play time for me.

Drewfonse

The final cutscene of MGS4 is absolutely the most drawn out, boring, unintentionally funny ending to game that I've ever experienced. A cherry on top of the rest of the game's sundae for me. Just awful. I still to this day don't understand the 94 meta. Incomprehensible.

Ishida

Banned
Graphics were great for the time and the game play was an evolution of 3, so it was fine. I'm sure there's plenty of people that like the story. I feel it's objectively bad, as are the bloated, embarrassing cut scenes.

I'll take plenty less of that and the best game play the series has ever had in TPP, judging by GZ. Less cringe, more play time for me.

Completely valid.

The final cutscene of MGS4 is absolutely the most drawn out, boring, unintentionally funny ending to game that I've ever experienced. A cherry on top of the rest of the game's sundae for me. Just awful. I still to this day don't understand the 94 meta. Incomprehensible.

People having different opinions? Being in a minority is incomprehensible? Shocking!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You mean why do you dislike the game? I don't know, maybe you feel the story was terrible, the graphics were terrible, the gameplay was terrible, the music was terrible?

Sorry, I think I didn't write that very well. I'm not asking you to second guess why I don't like it. I meant that, in past discussions, I've explained why I dislike certain aspects and why I don't think the game worked overall. Y'know, rather than simply said: "It's shit." That's a positive thing, surely?

Btw 'Old Snake' and 'Love Theme' are two of the best tracks in the series. :)

They spent a year mocapping the cutscenes so it's a bit strange people think there's barely going to be any. Half of the cutscenes in MGS3 happen after Snake gets to Groznyj Grad.

Exactly. The intro sounds like one long interactive cutscene alone.

Venom Fox

Banned
Come on guys, MGS4 was easily one of the worst in the franchise (apart from Peace Walker).

When I first played it, I was like FUCK YEAH!
The second time I played it, I was like WHAT THE FUCK!

The game was batshit insane at times.
Snake in a microwave,
Raiden stopping OH with his hands.

There's more as well...

/s

Ishida

Banned
Sorry, I think I didn't write that very well. I'm not asking you to second guess why I don't like it. I meant that, in past discussions, I've explained why I dislike certain aspects and why I don't think the game worked overall. Y'know, rather than simply said: "It's shit." That's a positive thing, surely?

Btw 'Old Snake' and 'Love Theme' are two of the best tracks in the series. :)

Aaaaah yeah. Sorry, I didn't get it. And of course, you have always explained in detail why you didn't like it, which is very cool by me.

Come on guys, MGS4 was easily one of the worst in the franchise (apart from Peace Walker).

Snake in a microwave,

There's more as well...

Batshit insane? Well, of course. It's Metal Gear. That's the whole point. The scenes that you mentioned were awesome. Pure Metal Gear.

BocoDragon

Yes but on your post above you seem to think a different poll on GAF makes your "case". How come you care about that poll? I am sorry but all you got is some people's opinion on this site and there is no proof to what you are saying.On the other hand everything about his game(reviews, polls and general reactions) indicates that most people liked it even though they would rank it as the weakest of the main mgs.
I agree it's not a scientific poll. And no I don't trust it completely. But I think it is closer to telling the truth for two reasons.

1. It's actually about Metal Gear fans giving their opinion on how it is as a Metal Gear, rather than MGS vs other games of 2008

2. Some time has past

I agree that MGS4 is a solid game package that really impressed in 2008. But I do think it's taken a dive as people consider it outside the bubble of "big/shiny new game".

It's those insufferably awkward cutscenes on the Philanthropy airplane, man. It just feels like the show turned into a family sitcom all of a sudden, and at that pace, you start to realize how wierd these characters are when they're not barking slogans with cool camera angles and slo mo sequences. That, and everything after Act II, which nerfed the sneaking on the battlefield mechanics.

Snake in a microwave,

There's more as well...
It was definitely the second play through that made me say "damn".

Star Wars Episode II levels of awkwardness throughout.

I don't mind those particular sequences you mentioned, though. (I think Ishida's right... They're pretty MGS levels of insane which is alright by me)

Top Bottom