• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen blasts NWA's "Fuck tha Police" during slain officers funeral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polari

He comes off as an asshole but I don't blame him.

Don't blame the kid at all.

Comments like this are just ridiculous. The kid is a dumbass. There are constructive ways to have your voice heard. Playing "Fuck tha Police" at a memorial for a cop murdered because of the uniform she was wearing is not one of them. What do you know about Miosotis Familia? Was she a racist oppressor? Maybe she became a cop because she wanted to work in and help her community.

Why not spend as much time advocating for constructive, positive solutions that build relationships between communities and the Police, instead of needless antagonism? You guys continue the cycle, and whether you like it or not the Police aren't going away any time soon. That doesn't mean calling out the Police when they're wrong and holding them to account, but that isn't what this is.

Jesus Christ Gaf - This is a funeral we are talking about. A person has died and their family is mourning the loss of a loved one.

This is some borderline Westboro Baptist Church shit.

Don't blame the kid if you don't want to but at least call out the horrible action for what it is.

Unbelievable.

Yea just like how they protest their own funerals to stick it to the mayor.

Comments like this are just ridiculous. The kid is a dumbass. There are constructive ways to have your voice heard. Playing "Fuck tha Police" at a memorial for a cop murdered because of the uniform she was wearing is not one of them. What do you know about Miosotis Familia? Was she a racist oppressor? Maybe she became a cop because she wanted to work in and help her community.

Why not spend as much time advocating for constructive, positive solutions that build relationships between communities and the Police, instead of needless antagonism? You guys continue the cycle, and whether you like it or not the Police aren't going away any time soon. That doesn't mean calling out the Police when they're wrong and holding them to account, but that isn't what this is.

I'm guessing this is a performance piece for people who haven't been here for very long?

Usobuko

Banned
This accomplish nothing.

But it's precisely all other avenues failed for marginalized black people that this is probably the best shot they have to vent out.

Ultimately, it's the police and the American public who failed them. By failing, it mean people of their kind getting killed for shit and giggles at best and hatred at worst.

I'm not even black and I can see why.

Lois_Lane

Comments like this are just ridiculous. The kid is a dumbass. There are constructive ways to have your voice heard. Playing "Fuck tha Police" at a memorial for a cop murdered because of the uniform she was wearing is not one of them.

No.
Want to know why?

Because a cop can kill me, my family, my friends and nothing will happen to them. In a few months, they can go to their local barbecue like nothing happened. The police have all the power in the situation.

It's their to fix their reputation. They want people to treat them with the same respect firefighters/EMTs get then they need to work for it. Otherwise-

*Plays NWA*

johnny956

There's a cop on here who could vouch for just how deep the biases and racism runs, but I forget his name and that barely-existed thread is long gone.

Actually, he probably wouldn't say shit about it now, since nothing ever came from the advice given.

(for the record, not defending the kid here. I'm really not feeling his little 'protest'.)

I work with law enforcement as well. It's 'legal organized crime'. Heard stories about breaking car thieves arms in car doors. Racism galore, Fox News on in every office, or making fun of kids books that deal with a parent in prison. I could go on and on.

Why not spend as much time advocating for constructive, positive solutions that build relationships between communities and the Police, instead of needless antagonism?
You guys continue the cycle, and whether you like it or not the Police aren't going away any time soon. That doesn't mean calling out the Police when they're wrong and holding them to account, but that isn't what this is.

NYPD Commissioner:

Mental illness/meds may have played a role, but evil + hate + demonization of cops are to blame for #MiosotisFamilia's killing

Several hundred cops turned away in protest Tuesday morning as the mayor delivered his eulogy at the Bronx funeral of slain Officer Miosotis Familia.

They can go first

Kid is a insensitive dumbass. There is a time and place to do those things and a funeral isn't one.

Has their been verification his brother's and friend were killed? If they were killed what was the issue at that time.? Were they killed by racist / trigger happy cops? How can we say it is justified if we don't have the facts.

The teen gave The Post the names of his brother and friend who he said were killed by officers, but the paper could not find any record of their deaths.

Dai101

Banned
I get what you're saying but you do miss one key point. Being an officer is still a job that is often supporting a family and your moral high ground of doing the right thing may get you cheers from gaf but it won't pay your morgage if you're let go by internal affairs. The whole situation sucks where both cops and minorities feel like they're risking their lives interacting with the other and our politicians help to empower this sense of fear.

I'm sure cartels are looking for enforcers and alike everyday.

I'm guessing this is a performance piece for people who haven't been here for very long?

PROTIP: Just look in that user post history.

Maybe in a different world, where police are held accountable for murders, then there can be some reconciliation between the police and the communities.

Polari

No.
Want to know why?

Because a cop can kill me, my family, my friends and nothing will happen to them. In a few months, they can go to their local barbecue like nothing happened. The police have all the power in the situation.

It's their to fix their reputation. They want people to treat them with the same respect firefighters/EMTs get then they need to work for it. Otherwise-

*Plays NWA*

So the solution is to wait for the cops to fix their reputation or play NWA? That's a pretty passive approach.

Maybe in a different world, where police are held accountable for murders, then there can be some reconciliation between the police and the communities.

Yeah, and there's a place for lobbying for justice reform, for sure.

Lois_Lane

So the solution is to wait for the cops to fix their reputation or play NWA? That's a pretty passive approach.

Yeah, and there's a place for lobbying for justice reform, for sure.

I vote. I protest. I play NWA.

You realize I was joking based on what the article was about, right?

zashga

Blasting that song at a funeral is a shitty thing to do. Twenty cops heading over to intimidate the kid is worse. Getting him kicked out of his home is even worse than that.

I kind of expect kids to be assholes, but no one comes out of this story looking good.

Polari

Nothing will be done legally so the third option is violent retribution vs cops who aren't held accountable for shit they do.

One good thing that has happened in recent years is the use of bodycams being mandatory in states. That's something which came out of people making their voices heard in a constructive way.

Usobuko

Banned

The cops won't fix their reputation and black people will find ever increasing difficult to hold influential position. Even then, they are outnumbered 1:4 to the white population, 1:2 if you give liberty and assume only half are against them.

What do you expect minority to do here? It's a game they cannot win. Meanwhile, they watch black people, their kind, getting murdered just because the police can. And the subsequent shitshow that have the culprit getting away with a shit eating grin on his face.

Nydius

Gold Member
That doesn't mean calling out the Police when they're wrong and holding them to account, but that isn't what this is.

How many times do they need to be called out before they're actually held to account? I could go back decades, prior to Rodney King even, but just examine these last five years.

Incident after incident of police officers clearly abusing their power over citizens, almost always minorities, many of them caught on video and even on police officer dash and body cams and how many of them have been held to account? Almost none of them.

Just a few examples off the top of my head: Choke hold a black man to death for selling an untaxed cigarette: no indictment. Shoot a black man in the face with both dash cam and cell video showing no reason for escalation: Not guilty. Off duty cop shoots daughter's black boyfriend: Two mistrials. And of course Ferguson, MO. The list goes on and on and on.

They can kill someone, get put on PAID ADMINISTRATIVE LEAVE, and never have charges filed. Back out on the street with the same gun and badge in a month. Not seeing the legal system doing much to hold them to account.

One good thing that has happened in recent years is the use of bodycams being mandatory in states. That's something which came out of people making their voices heard in a constructive way.

...And cops still get away with murder, now in first person view.

Lois_Lane

K.

How many convictions have resulted after these bodycams were procured? Please provide links.

It's great that we can now see close and personal footage of cops murdering black people and getting free. Before we only heard about it then they got free.

Alienfan

What did she do to deserve any of this? Better more appropriate places to protest than a single officers funeral, who at least that I can tell, did nothing wrong

Nydius

Gold Member
One good thing that has happened in recent years is the use of bodycams being mandatory in states.

Body cams mean jack shit.

But jurors, watching these images playing on projection screens in courtrooms, have not come away with simple answers. In some trials, a single piece of body-camera footage has been used to illustrate competing viewpoints: In the Milwaukee case, slowed-down, frame-by-frame video was used to show that the suspect had no weapon when he was shot a second time. The same video, played at regular speed, revealed a scene that was swift, confusing and chaotic, a boost to the defense.

Some jurors in these cases have said that, videos aside, they had been swayed most of all by officers' assertions that they feared for their lives.

It's like a dystopian version of the old South Park hunting episode: Don't worry Eric, all you have to do is yell "I'm afraid for my life!" (e: or "stop resisting!") as you shoot and you'll get acquitted.

Polari

Apart from when it goes "missing"

...And cops still get away with murder, now in first person view.

K.

How many convictions have resulted after these bodycams were procured? Please provide links.

Wait, are you guys arguing the greater accountability that bodycams bring aren't a good thing?

I don't know about convictions, but what you won't be able to measure is whether lives have been saved because cops know they're being recorded. My gut says they probably have, though.

Lois_Lane

Wait, are you guys arguing the greater accountability that bodycams bring aren't a good thing?

I don't know about convictions, but what you won't be able to measure is whether lives have been saved because cops know they're being recorded. My gut says they probably have, though.

Your gut means nothing without actual sources to back it up. Going with your gut is why so many cops pull the trigger when they don't need to.

And how exactly are body cams a deterrent when they don't result in any punishment either formal or informal?

If it wasn't 11pm and my wife wasn't sleep if laugh even harder.

Oh I see you brought up body cams, you really want my wife to wake up don't you. Haaaaaaa.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Most police officers are good people doing a hard job. This is disgraceful behavior and I am glad he got kicked out.

Isotropy

Whatever your views on the police are, this is a human being been laid to rest by their family.

As somebody who recently lost a parent prematurely, anybody who wants to fuck up a funeral can burn in hell.

Disgusted at the comments in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom