• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical copies og CoD WW2 doesn't work without a patch.

you're jumping to conclusions here... we really don't know what this is (was) footage of. or if its legit

your thread title is literally trying to blow this way out of proportion when really we know nothing about if it's true or not

Gamezone

Gold Member
you're jumping to conclusions here... we really don't know what this is (was) footage of. or if its legit

your thread title is literally trying to blow this way out of proportion when really we know nothing about if it's true or not

Yes, I am. I don`t have any proof with the video taken down, but be prepared.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I think no one will really care? How many people buying CoD WW2 don't have internet? I'm gonna say less than 1%

People really seemed to care when Microsoft announced Xbox One. This is a start. Will you care when they use this system to block used games as well?

Rick1o1

I think no one will really care? How many people buying CoD WW2 don't have internet? I'm gonna say less than 1%

I do. I only play cod campaigns. But I understand that I'm the minority here. Still sucks because I was looking forward to this and now I might pass.

People really seemed to care when Microsoft announced Xbox One. This is a start. Will you care when they use this system to block used games as well?
No. It's easy to ignore stupid shit when there's so many games coming out.

But as of now, this is a patch. This isn't a way to block used games. Calm down bud.

starblue

Neo Member
Spanish YouTuber "AlphaSniper", says that is fake. He has an early copy of the game and confirms that the only thing you can't play is the multiplayer.

https://twitter.com/Alphasniper97/status/924271252029796352

El "rumor" de que no se puede jugar a nada sin "el parche del dia de salida" es falso; eso sólo afecta a partidas ONLINE

"The rumour about that you can't play anything without the day one patch is fake; only affects online game."

Bickle2

I’ll bet if that person disconnects from the internet it’ll work. The game may very well be reaching out to a server on boot and barfing when it doesn’t find it. But no internet will usually bypassuch a step.

Microsoft’s System, despite popular hysteria did not block used games. In fact it enabled the buying/selling/lending/trading of all, including your digital games. It also enabled a legitimate game sharing system people keep asking for it integrated GameStop and Best Buy computers (more retailers were signing up when it all went to hell) to be directly tied into Xbox Live. No more gift cards, the games or point cards appear directly in your account.

sony’s Actually did, by having a single use RFiD chip that burned after reading (on either the server end or physically). They only killed it because Microsoft’s System was ludicrously better. That’s why they jumped on then slime train in 2013.

Microsoft’s System was pro game developer. It stopped GameStop from screwing them over. Big titles “churn”, especially single player ones, through GameStop very quickly. Stolen copies, Beat in one night copies etc etc. and they rely on this income of high profit (their top buyback is $10-15 under wholesale) stock, not a penny of which goes back to the publisher, or more importantly the developer in the form of royalties.

Microsfoft basically established a system whereby transfer of the license was possible for a small fee. Just like you pay to sell on EBay, with lending and stuff following something like the Kindle model. Please note that no one complains about the LACK of such a a system from other publishers, or the impossibility of it on Steam. It only is labeled evil by people who jump to conclusions, and because it’s Microsoft. EVERY platform publisher etc is moving toward all digital on most titles. Dont you want to system in place that gives you rights?

These fees would be split between the owners of the game and Microsoft taking their 30%.

So instead everyone is locked down, and we probably won’t see this system in place for at least another year or two, and probably not feature complete either.

I realize some people may not want this, but it’s the way we’re headed anyway, just with far more rights as a consumer, and equally importantly more rights for the developer to keep their heads above water. Such a program can literally mean the difference between keeping the doors open and shifting done on a midrange title.

brawly

Multiplayer I understand...sorta. Hope it opens up before the actual launch though, because I'm bound to get it a day or twi early again.

JayBabay

Whoa that's nice and clever AF at the same time..Finally no head start from mom n pops shops, you play like everyone else on launch day. Salute to whoever finally made this happen.

Let’s just destroy the idea of games working without internet or server approval because some small family businesses have sold games early. Don’t want to imagine the “nails on chalkboard” feeling you must get knowing some people played a game 2 days before you if this is the extent you would go to prevent it.

Buzzbrad

Let’s just destroy the idea of games working without internet or server approval because some small family businesses have sold games early. Don’t want to imagine the “nails on chalkboard” feeling you must get knowing some people played a game 2 days before you if this is the extent you would go to prevent it.

Most games now and days require an online verification when you first play it. Usually after that you can play it without a connection. So the era where no internet is needed to play a game is slowly fading.

Incredibly poor practice. Disgusted to see people here supporting it, too. Wow.

People getting a 'head-start', lol. Like they are insurmountable at the game or something if they got it 36 hours earlier than the rest of the world.

JayBabay

Most games now and days require an online verification when you first play it. Usually after that you can play it without a connection. So the era where no internet is needed to play a game is slowly fading.

For single player modes on consoles? That’s news to me. What games are doing this if you know any off the top of your head?

amar212

Whoa that's nice and clever AF at the same time..Finally no head start from mom n pops shops, you play like everyone else on launch day. Salute to whoever finally made this happen.

This must the stupidest, most selfish and most non-long-term-effect-observed comment I read on NeoGaf in past few weeks and you may imagine it was a fierce competition.

Hyun Sai

So, is it confirmed we can play the campaign even without the patch ?

Seems silly to call this a problem if the patch is only needed for euh online multiplayer ?

Reallink

This is the dumbest shit I've read in quite some time. No console game has ever required anything of the sort for SP content.

I realize that this isn't really a concern for most people who buy CoD games, but I personally haven't touched the online mode seriously since Black Ops, outside of messing around with Advanced Warfare a few times with some friends.

Advanced Warfare was also the last one I bothered buying (before that was probably Black Ops 2 or MW3, can't really remember the order they launched), and this one has me intrigued because I've grown to miss WW2 shooters in the years after they saturated the market.

I know that no one cares about my individual interests, but I imagine a fair amount of people feel similarly. I have internet, but that's still a bit fucked if true.

I can't believe some of you are supporting this.

This must the stupidest, most selfish and most non-long-term-effect-observed comment I read on NeoGaf in past few weeks and you may imagine it was a fierce competition.

Lol calm down fellaz..knew some of you wouldn't get the joke..play all you want, shop owners fault for selling early not yours.

styl3s

I can't believe some of you are supporting this.
Most people have internet so it's not really a problem especially considering most AAA games have day 1 patches that fix a lot of bugs and sometimes game breaking ones.

Forcing online for single player every single time you play is one thing but a patch doesn't ruffle my feathers considering every single AAA game i have bought in the last 5 years has had a day 1 patch. Besides, why would you own a console that's so heavily connected to patches/updates and needs the internet if you don't have it? Being in the military and being overseas is one thing but come on.

How could this transpire? Did Activision print a broken version of the game?

The video's being taken down only makes this more interesting.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
lol I got that christmas day 2004, spent 4 hours installing Steam and the game over dial up internet before I could play it.

Great days.
Word i was so fucking angry man.
I told myself to never ever buy steam games again.

And here i am proud owner of 300+ steam games xD

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Can you leave PC gaming out of the discussion? People who got the Orange Box for consoles were able to play it early.
Sorry i just got angry flashbacks cause of your thread.
In no way am i supporting this shit.
Calm down.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If true this is super disgusting and also not a good form for Activision even if one has no concerns regarding preservation, because it points towards them shipping an inherently disfunctional product.

Gamezone

Gold Member
If true this is super disgusting and also not a good form for Activision even if one has no concerns regarding preservation, because it points towards them shipping an inherently disfunctional product.

This will probably be common for them to do from here on out.

ViolentP

Yeah. Lots of people dont even play the solo campaign and go straight to multi.

Doesnt make It less shitty though.

I wouldn't exactly use the term "shitty" as that implies wrong-doing. Fact is, there are many reasons why this could be the case and not all are nefarious. Some are simply unfortunate. I would think that anything solo wouldn't require a patch to play unless some exploit is available in that version noticed after final pressing.

But...

It this was intentionally done for no greater reason than to authenticate, then it would be shitty, I agree.

This will probably be common for them to do from here on out.

Curious as to what makes you believe this is an emerging pattern and not simply circumstantial.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Remember E3 years ago?

"Disc based games won't require you to check in online to play, or have any type of authentication".

Thanks for keeping your promise as a platform holder, Sony.

Top Bottom