• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical copies og CoD WW2 doesn't work without a patch.

Veon

Neo Member
Remember E3 years ago?

"Disc based games won't require you to check in online to play, or have any type of authentication".

Thanks for keeping your promise as a platform holder, Sony.

This generation is a Dreamcast situation in reserve.

This is disgusting.

Remember E3 years ago?

"Disc based games won't require you to check in online to play, or have any type of authentication".

Thanks for keeping your promise as a platform holder, Sony.
yeah I remember that. Its awful their not holding this position anymore :(

xRaizen

This isn't true. I have a copy.
Please post proof. Multiple redditors over the past few days have posted their own proof of not being able to access anything.

The patch will probably go live on Tuesday for reviewers.

Shitty practice though.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The game is still 4 days from release where I live, yet they just released a patch that makes the campaign fully playable.

Pantz

I hope they start doing this for all games. No more getting your games a week early and bragging about it. Play on Day One like the rest of us.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Whoa that's nice and clever AF at the same time..Finally no head start from mom n pops shops, you play like everyone else on launch day. Salute to whoever finally made this happen.

What ever will you do when you find out about these things called timezones and the fact that some countries can be playing damn near 24 hours before you! Oh the humanity!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Whoa that's nice and clever AF at the same time..Finally no head start from mom n pops shops, you play like everyone else on launch day. Salute to whoever finally made this happen.

What ever will you do when you find out about these things called timezones and the fact that some countries can be playing damn near 24 hours before you! Oh the humanity!

Pretty sure patches on consoles go live at the same time world wide.

So even in Australia ill probably get the patch mid day while you get it at midnight.

If they are using Steam style game unlock then thats when an Antipodean could get some extra time with the game.

P.S THough its a pretty shitty thing to do for people who dont game online.
If the SP is also blocked isnt the disc trash until you patch the game?

P.P.S I had a period last year where i went like 2 months with no internet....it happens. So dont say it doesnt happen.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I hope they start doing this for all games. No more getting your games a week early and bragging about it. Play on Day One like the rest of us.

So you are just jealous? Others are having fun days ealier than you, so developers better make discs useless coasters?

sn0man

Just another title I’ll write off on principle. I find this practice sad and destructive. Why the single player? Why force this... to stop a few spoilers?

PSYGN

So you are just jealous? Others are having fun days ealier than you, so developers better make discs useless coasters?

Jealous? I think the CoD developers expressed disappointment when people leaked and spoiled their work a week or more before release. I don't mind there being a soft lock in place until release date. Sounds like you're just mad that you can't get a head start, tbh.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Just another title I’ll write off on principle. I find this practice sad and destructive. Why the single player? Why force this... to stop a few spoilers?

Spoiler obviously ruin their sales according to some people. I bet Telltale cry themself to sleep when streamers like Pewdiepie streams entire games they made.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Jealous? I think the CoD developers expressed disappointment when people leaked and spoiled their work a week or more before release. I don't mind there being a soft lock in place until release date. Sounds like you're just mad that you can't get a head start, tbh.

It`s our choice if we want to get spoiled or not. You can spoil a game after release too. It really doesn`t change that much.

Mr Moose

So you couldn't play the campaign until the patch? What in the fuck?
Makes me want to cancel my pre-order, but I got a decent-ish deal on the Pro version.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

I don't see how this lock is soft in any way and also note that it is not only a lock before release, but also after the end of XBL / PSN for XB1 / PS4.

sn0man

Listening to the bombcast from a week or so back and a question came in discussing the ramifications of the PlayStation network going down today.

Imagine it... tons of kids that got a PS4 and CoDWW2 for Christmas and if PSN was down for 3 days... it would be a PR nightmare. I hope this practice goes away. It feels very scummy.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Listening to the bombcast from a week or so back and a question came in discussing the ramifications of the PlayStation network going down today.

Imagine it... tons of kids that got a PS4 and CoDWW2 for Christmas and if PSN was down for 3 days... it would be a PR nightmare. I hope this practice goes away. It feels very scummy.

I expect this to happen with every game published by these guys. ;(

Syriel

It's been a thing on Blu-ray movies for awhile.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=15983

Not totally shocked that game devs might start doing the same thing.

test_account

XP-39C²

I expect this to happen with every game published by these guys. ;(
PSN and patches are seperated from each other. You dont need a PSN account to download patches. PSN being down should have no effect on this, so this is pretty much a non issue.

It's been a thing on Blu-ray movies for awhile.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=15983

Not totally shocked that game devs might start doing the same thing.
This has been common practice on PC games for several of years now. I think this might be the first case on consoles though.

Petrae

The console video game industry is fully invested when it comes to internet connectivity. The risk of an extended outage, whether malicious (a la Lizard Squad) or not, is one that publishers must take in this day and age.

I fully expect PSN and/or XBL downtime during the Christmas holiday period, and I anticipate plenty of pissed off users (new and existing ones) when it happens. It comes with the territory when so much is dependent on these services.

Patches won’t be affected, but games with a significant multiplayer component or that require connectivity will certainly be.

Gamezone

Gold Member
PSN and patches are seperated from each other. You dont need a PSN account to download patches. PSN being down should have no effect on this, so this is pretty much a non issue.

This has been common practice on PC games for several of years now. I think this might be the first case on consoles though.

To be honest I think my digital investments on PC are much safer.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm actually surprised this is legal. I mean, if you buy a physical product you should be obligated to use it as you see fit.

Joco

Surprised this isn't getting much attention. Pretty scummy move by Activision.

Unfortunately this is just part of a larger trend where console games on disc are becoming more like buying a PC game at the store that has a steam code in it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Surprised this isn't getting much attention. Pretty scummy move by Activision.

Unfortunately this is just part of a larger trend where console games on disc are becoming more like buying a PC game at the store that has a steam code in it.

Yeah, unfortunately.

I don't see how this lock is soft in any way and also note that it is not only a lock before release, but also after the end of XBL / PSN for XB1 / PS4.
This. I can't believe people brush this off as being butthurt about not being able to play the game early. These practices are an affront to game preservation and anyone who gives a shit should be incensed.

Pantz

Ok CrUNT.

My name was created before I even knew about that word. I rarely curse in real life or on the internet. It's just not for me. CRUNT was based, a bit randomly, on the word, CROUTON. Not that you will believe me.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It isn't fare for people playing overseas. Better yet, men and women in the service. I'm sure I've seen one or two pictures on imgur where each branch buys video games for their crew members while they're stationed somewhere.

This issue was brought up before with Don Mattrick and his idea to use an Xbox 360 instead.

Edit: I'm glad things are coming out to be lies. Right?

I'd erase my post, but you'd almost need to remind these companies that this is their business model.

This is the future of where we are headed.

Top Bottom