• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Green's new band is called "Furtive Pygmy" [Black Dragon plays Dark Souls]

eyGFKk0.jpg

Watch Jeff at http://www.twitch.tv/greenspeak

Jeff streams infrequently, if you want to be keep up with stream times, follow Jeff on twitter @greenspeak, it's more reliable than waiting for twitch to send out email notifications.

If you miss a stream, you may view it under the Past Broadcasts section of Jeff's twitch profile: http://www.twitch.tv/greenspeak/profile/pastBroadcasts

Jeff's YouTube channel, where Jeff slowly uploads his past streams: https://www.youtube.com/user/Greenspeakachu

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Green never shoulda left journalism! Great mind for it, and we've been DEPRIVED not seeing him talk or play newer games. Can't wait for more, and more new games. I have to admit Black Mesa is just too old for me to care about, want to see him touch new shit!

Love you Black Dragon!

Just hearing the menu music makes me want to boot up Dark Souls.

Edit: Why? Why would his viewers tell a 1st time player to take the Master Key??????????

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jeffrey's gotta be true to himself. Unfiltered. I gotta have his views on new shit!

nbthedude

Just hearing the menu music makes me want to boot up Dark Souls.

Edit: Why? Why would his viewers tell a 1st time player to take the Master Key??????????

Well, I was thinking the same thing. But the one benefit ai can see is you can go down to Blight Town the easy way.

It is easy to get into areas you arent ready for with it, though.

Kimaka

"Why blame myself when I can blame the game? 'This game is terrible, none of the controls work!'"

Haha. That's an all too familiar complaint. Most LPs are unbearable because of this.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
The next person who calls me "mid fifties" is getting grounded. I'm 52! I don't need help aging here! :)

And thanks for watching my public midlife crisis.
actually I had that 10 years ago

tci

Seems I forgot to follow his channel when he first started streaming :(

Watching this later. Always informative and entertaining.

Helmholtz

Hey Jeff, you should look into DSfix if you haven't already. There's a thread on it here. Makes the game look much better without much effort involved.
Have fun with Dark Souls - I played it for the first time a little while back and got around 13 hours in. Haven't played it since, but what I did play was pretty good but frustrating :p.

Kadayi

Banned
Track one will be 'Traverse the White Light'

Anyhows Jeff if you're reading and you're inclined to give DS another look, some fast advice: -

I say restart but go for something a bit more agile in terms of movement like the wanderer, warrior, hunter (added bow) or the pyromancer (a good mix of combat + fire magic). Knight is cool in terms of his starting armour, but it also drains your stamina something rotten when you move & attack and once that green bar runs empty then you're completely vulnerable to attacks until it recharges. The 'classes' are really just starting templates/equipment rather than than fixed roles.

With the Asylum Demon Boss, basically you want to jump off the ledge and RB that mofo on the way down for huge damage, and then basically try and get behind him and stick him with the pointy end as much as possible. If he starts to fly up then back off as that generally signals he's going to perform a ground smash attack.

Albeit not great LP footage I'd say get used to the movement controls in terms of rolling, jumping back and evading and with the combat the parry/riposte and backstab are extremely useful (though only against normal opponents/mini-bosses not big bosses). With the parry you really need to be up in peoples grill as well (even if they have spears). It's all about understanding your opponents attack strategy and timing, but if you hit it right when they're coming in on the attack then you essentially stun them and can 1HK most with the riposte attack (mini bosses usually take a few hits). This dude does a great guide: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1hrh94Dc-h0#t=131

Estus is your health and the only way to recharge that is to rest at the bonfires, but that does reset the level in terms of enemies save Bosses & Mini Bosses. The shiny white lights you see are souls which are sort of both currency & experience points, so pick those up. Be aware that if you get killed all of your unspent souls get dropped where you die (the green glowy stuff) but they are only available for pick up on that life. You get killed again on the way to retrieving them they are lost forever, so if you're in too deep my advice is to basically try running back to where you came from because by rights you should be able to get there again from your last bonfire.

Other thing I'd say about Dark Souls is think Jason Bourne. Jason Bourne doesn't just casually wander into a room, Jason Bourne patiently surveys the room before and as he enters. Look up, look down, look left and right, look behind and look to the distance. Just adopting that approach rather than focusing on what's immediately in front of you pays a surprisingly amount of dividends in Dark souls in terms of informing you as to strategy and opportunity. Draw distance sadly isn't great in the game, but taking a bit of time can be beneficial.

Just watched the archive, hahaha hilarious :D

Jeff read yourself a little up on dark souls, you need to understand ALL the basics of the game, like health stamina, camera, focus etc.

START HERE:

BOOK OF THE NOOB :D

Keep it up jeff, you are doing great, already almost at 1000 followers on twitch and you need even a scheduled streamer yet that is VERY good.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Thank you guys for the tips (and the kind words)!

I realized later that, yeah, I coulda glanced at the manual or something first. But...whatever. I only had an hour and figured I'd just go with it. :)

Gonna brush up on the basics and then give it another go probably tomorrow!

More Black Dragon plays Dark Souls this afternoon:

Jeff Green ‏@Greenspeak 7m

Off to center myself and achieve inner peace at yoga. Then I'm gonna come back and rip shit up in part 2 of my Dark Souls PC livestream.

nbthedude

Jeff Green is streaming Dark Souls again this afternoon. Give him all your moneies, babies, virginities, and other valuables. He deserves all of them.

Top Bottom