• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: Microsoft won't announce any new games at TGAs

GnawtyDog

Banned
Not indies. Anything but indies.

BSR1vBP.gif

Cuphead is arguably one of the Top 10 indies for 2015.....a system seller for me (if it delivers).

Microsoft getting complacent after black Friday. I wonder how they will combat Sony's December conference.

They won't. Sony's conference / event this weekend is to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Playstation. There's a reason for it. Companies generally don't just hold their own random events, especially just because a competitor has something on.

I imagine the next few game announcements from MS will be at E3 2015.

Expect updates on currently announced titles at the VGAs though.

jelly

Forza Motorsport every 2 years is as guaranteed as COD or Assassins Creed... its not like he's listed some random game from a developer with a poor track record. It doesn't get much more regular than FM

They've already said they have up to S3 planned for KI, and I assume he listed indies as a general one instead of listing each individual game...

Forza 6 with.....no weather or night racing but look at the prodigious stitching on the dashboard.

In terms of what Microsoft might actually show, realistically I think we could see a trailer for Riptor in Killer Instinct. I also think we could see a trailer for one of Below, Inside or Ori and the Blind Forest.

Beyond that I'm not sure what else they'd be willing to show. Maybe Fable Legends with an announcement of an open beta or something.

Why would there be no weather or night racing?

I think at least one of those will be in, but someone from Turn 10 has already said that just because those two things are in FH2, it doesn't mean that they will necessarily make it into FM6. Fair enough, I just want to see the feature list continue expanding.

In other news, I'd say the work on FH3 has already started because Playground yesterday tweeted about rehiring a guy who worked with them on FH2.

This doesn't mean they won't show new stuff from their aldeady announced games though.

Multiplatform stuff
Scalebound
Quantum Break
That one where the trailer was two folks with powers fighting

Rembrandt

Banned
In terms of what Microsoft might actually show, realistically I think we could see a trailer for Riptor in Killer Instinct. I also think we could see a trailer for one of Below, Inside or Ori and the Blind Forest.

Beyond that I'm not sure what else they'd be willing to show. Maybe Fable Legends with an announcement of an open beta or something.

Isn't the beta supposed to launch this month anyways? I can definitely see that. Probably a new trailer/gameplay for Quantum Break, Halo 5, Ori, etc and maybe some DLC announcement akin to the DR3 one.

Maybe some trailers/gameplay for some id@xbox games? Also what about third party exclusives? Idk if that counts as microsoft announcing them.

This doesn't mean they won't show new stuff from their aldeady announced games though.

Multiplatform stuff
Scalebound
Quantum Break
That one where the trailer was two folks with powers fighting

Oh yeah, I hope we see some Scalebound stuff. I still believe this game is further along than people think.

No Man's Sky was an amazing reveal at last year's show. I don't expect anything that awesome this time, but you never know.

Yeah, we've gotten a lot of cool things from the show. First QB gameplay, too, iirc. We got The Phantom Pain, Dark Souls II, ME3, Prototype II, Skyrim, etc. announced at previous ones, so who knows with these shows. It's sometimes on par with Gamescom for announcements.

Isn't the beta supposed to launch this month anyways? I can definitely see that. Probably a new trailer/gameplay for Quantum Break, Halo 5, Ori, etc and maybe some DLC announcement akin to the DR3 one.

Maybe some trailers/gameplay for some id@xbox games? Also what about third party exclusives? Idk if that counts as microsoft announcing them.

Closed beta has been going on since mid-October I believe. I didn't get in it but I know a few that did and they had surprisingly good things to say. So yeah, not completely outside the realm of possibility that they'd announce an open beta relatively soon.

ID@Xbox sizzle real could be in play too. Lots of timed exclusive indies on XB1 next year. Smite (which is getting a beta) and SpeedRunners are two that I know are coming early in 2015 so it really wouldn't surprise me if we did see them, if it's something Microsoft wanted to show off anyway.

klodeckel

Banned
Do MS have anything planned for next year beyond Halo 5 and Quantum Break? It seems like it's going to be a long and barren year for Xbone owners.

Confirmed for 2015:
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Quantum Break
  • Screamride
  • Fable Legends
  • State of Decay: Year-One Survival Edition
  • Ori and The Blind Forest
  • Below

Heavily rumored/safe bets:
  • Forza Motorsport 6
  • something Gears of War
  • Game 4 (TheBehemoth)
  • New IP game by Twisted Pixel

Unlikely but still a chance:
  • Crackdown
  • Phantom Dust
  • Scalebound
  • Next Rare game

Not included are all those timed exclusives (Smite, Goat Simulator, Space Engineers, Rise of the Tomb Raider and so on). Ye, I think that's the list for now. The first few months for 2015 are looking pretty empty, but after that a lot of games seem to be getting released.

“TGS is a Japanese show. It’s a games show, it’s a Japanese games show, so it didn’t really feel like the right place for us to talk about Microsoft products, but Japan and Japanese games isn't exactly critical to Microsoft’s success."

Phil Spencer

yurinka

Halo 5
Screamride
State of Decay Year 1 Edition
Ori & the Blind Forest
Fable Legends
Cuphead
Quantum Break
Forza 6 (probably)
Below
Rise of Tomb Raider
Inside
Neverwinter Online
Happy Wars
Killer Instinct Season 3
Indies, Indies, Indies

3 exclusive AAA games, an exclusive beautiful indie, several timed exclusives (mostly indies) and a couple of games most people won't care about. And a couple of AAA likely to be announced (one of them being a 3rd season of an existing game).

Doesn't look too promising. They said that needed to push 2016 some games because they already had a crowded 2015, but I think Crackdown, Phantom Dust and Scalebound already were at least 2016 games since the start.

Their teams that released a game during the last year will need time, like the Gears guys. 2015 and 2016 won't be too crowded in MS side.

They need more important IPs and specially more dev teams. MS needs to buy Take 2, Sega or similar asap to stay competitive with Sony (not even counting stuff like PS Now, VR, Share Play, Remote Play,lower indie support due to parity clause etc).

Somnia

3 exclusive AAA games, an exclusive beautiful indie, several timed exclusives (mostly indies) and a couple of games most people won't care about. And a couple of AAA likely to be announced (one of them being a 3rd season of an existing game).

So basically the same as Sony? Order, Bloodborne and Uncharted are the 3 AAA off the top of my head announced for 2016, they do have a few more exclusive indie games, soem timed indie games and a few games people won't care about.

Basically 2015 is looking good for 3rd parties at least.

wapplew

So basically the same as Sony? Order, Bloodborne and Uncharted are the 3 AAA off the top of my head announced for 2016, they do have a few more exclusive indie games, soem timed indie games and a few games people won't care about.

I've been educated yesterday for posting the same. I'll let someone else do it.
Smelling incoming list war.

Biker19

Banned
Hard to complain, Sony went mostly for next year, Microsoft went mostly for this year. You could argue 3rd party would keep people sweet but people will complain either way. Just keep games coming throughout the year, 3rd and 1st Party instead of the fall onslaught. At least next year it's looking pretty sweet for the first half with big 3rd party games and some 1st party.

I agree. Microsoft had a good 2014 year, but 2015 is looking more & more likely to be Sony's year.

blakep267

i was going to say the same thing. The only difference is that Sony has Japanese support of niche games that may be a big deal here but arent really that big of a deal and probably won't even get localized right away( not talking about bloodbourne)

Figments

Doesn't look too promising. They said that needed to push 2016 some games because they already had a crowded 2015, but I think Crackdown, Phantom Dust and Scalebound already were at least 2016 games since the start.

Their teams that released a game during the last year will need time, like the Gears guys. 2015 and 2016 won't be too crowded in MS side.

They need more important IPs and specially more dev teams. MS needs to buy Take 2, Sega or similar asap to stay competitive with Sony (not even counting stuff like PS Now, VR, Share Play, Remote Play,lower indie support due to parity clause etc).

I hazard a guess to say that a majority of people would rather /not/ have Microsoft purchase Take 2, because that would mean GTA is Xbox exclusive for the rest of forever.

Sega, though--if they can make it work with the Japanese gov'ment, I'd love for Xbox to have at it.

KAL2006

Banned
When it comes to retail games Sony has BloodBorne, The Order, Uncharted 4, Tearaway Unfolded, Ratchet and Clank, Persona 5 and Until Dawn.

All MS have is Fable Legends, Quantum Break and Halo 5.

Of course both companies can announce a new game for 2015 for example MS can announce a new Forza or Sony can announce the new IP FROM Guerilla Games for 2015. But I don't think much will change from the above list.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Let's forget that one of the AAA exclusives early next year on PS4 was supposed to be a holiday game this year. Microsoft has less early next year because they shipped more exclusives late this year.

Microsoft isn't going to reveal a title at the VGAs at the end of a year.

When it comes to retail games Sony has BloodBorne, The Order, Uncharted 4, Tearaway Unfolded, Ratchet and Clank, Persona 5 and Until Dawn.

All MS have is Fable Legends, Quantum Break and Halo 5.

Of course both companies can announce a new game for 2015 for example MS can announce a new Forza or Sony can announce the new IP FROM Guerilla Games for 2015. But I don't think much will change from the above list.

The Order is a delayed 2014 title....

Bgamer90

Banned
So many assumptions in here. Can at least wait for 2015 to start to actually, you know, make conclusions on what a system will have for the whole year (heh).

Anyway, not a big deal. Always assumed The Game Awards was going to have mostly new multiplatform game reveals.

Halo 5
Screamride
State of Decay Year 1 Edition
Ori & the Blind Forest
Fable Legends
Cuphead
Quantum Break
Forza 6 (probably)
Below
Rise of Tomb Raider
Inside
Neverwinter Online
Happy Wars
Killer Instinct Season 3
Indies, Indies, Indies

Your concern is noted however

I don't want to continue this list war but come on. You know you're padding a list when you put fucking Happy Wars on it. A direct port of a 3 year old free to play 360 game.

Halo 5
Quantum Break
Fable Legends
Rise of Tomb Raider
Screamride
Indies (Ori, Cuphead, Below, Inside)

These are the new games coming out next year that have been announced, none of the first 4 are rumored to be coming until at least the 2nd half of 2015. Thats what their problem is, you can't carry half a year on solely several good indies and a rollercoaster tycoon clone. And if you count Forza 6, which is probably coming admittedly, that still isn't coming until the Fall. And unless they announce a big game out of no where without an event and release it within a few months from its announcement, there isn't much faith in them having much for the first half.

m23

I don't want to continue this list war but come on. You know you're padding a list when you put fucking Happy Wars on it. A direct port of a shitty 3 year old free to play 360 game.

Halo 5
Quantum Break
Fable Legends
Rise of Tomb Raider
Screamride

These are the new games coming out next year that have been announced, none of the first 4 are rumored to be coming until at least the 2nd half of 2015. Thats what their problem is, you can't carry half a year on solely several good indies and a rollercoaster tycoon clone. And if you count Forza 6, which is probably coming admittedly, that still isn't coming until the Fall. And unless they announce a big game out of no where without an event and release it within a few months from its announcement, there isn't much faith in them having much for the first half.

Woah woah woah.....

....happy wars was not shitty.

Leflus

I don't want to continue this list war but come on. You know you're padding a list when you put fucking Happy Wars on it. A direct port of a shitty 3 year old free to play 360 game.

Halo 5
Quantum Break
Fable Legends
Rise of Tomb Raider
Screamride

Ori isn't an indie game.

Quantic Dream, Playground Games and Insomniac are independent studios. Does that make Beyond, Forza Horizon 2 and Ratchet & Clank indie games?

In a technical sense, yes. Though you wouldn't refer to them as such because they use AAA budgets and are large games with large dev teams. Many indie games have publishers like Hotline Miami or Journey. They are still referred to as indie games. Indie games usually refers to a small game, with a smalll budget, developed by a small studio these days. For all intents and purposes I would consider even a studio owned by Sony/MS like Twisted Pixel to still make indie games because thats the category the games they make fit into. Maybe a better term would be "Small downloadable games" but that doesn't really come out as easy.

Absolutely nothing.

just kidding

:(

List wars are so hilarious. Yes, screamride is what people are dying to try in 2015.

Quality over quantity bro.

The list could be in response to whatever it wants. It's still pretty hilarious seeing screamride and stuff that's basically just a guess on the part of the person making it.

What on there is a guess besides KI Season 3 and Forza 6, which seem like pretty damn god bets to me...?

Halo 5
Quantum Break
Fable Legends
Rise of Tomb Raider
Screamride

Err, it's not padding a list if I find all those games appealing. And what's wrong with Happy Wars? I've had some of my best times with friends on that "shitty" game on the 360.

I listed all Microsoft owned IP and some "timed" exclusives that look pretty damn promising. Anyways, I wasn't trying to one-up Playstation or whatever, in fact, I think Playstation looks to have an AMAZING line-up next year that beats X1's any day... but my point of the list was that the X1 isn't "baren" or whatever hyperbole troll things people like to come up with. If you don't like some of those games, then fine, but it's pretty diverse and there is plenty to play.

But ya, as usual, MS doesn't look to have any good "AAA" games until late summer. That's sorta their thing though, so if anyone was expecting otherwise that's on them

Directly from the developer's website

http://www.oriblindforest.com/#!moon/

MS owned IP, therefore MS funded, so while the dev is independent, I don't consider the game an indie, much like I didn't think Child of Light was an indie game despite being a smaller downloadable game from Ubisoft.

Top Bottom