• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa PS4 Alpha gameplay, preview

Being negative is the new cool, you can't enjoy anything or at least let anyone know you enjoy anything!

Anyway back on topic really looking forward to this. I've had it on PC for a while but never really put much time into it mainly because the GUI puts me off (climbing across my wheel to reach my mouse etc.). Be great to have it on the PS4 with a nice button friendly interface!

Dirt Rally? Never heard of it, any info on this

An amazing, hardcore rally game that hates you and you WILL ruin your car a lot of times. It's amazing and it's the most realistic rally game I've played (and yes, I've played RBR). Been available since around April on PC in early access, released properly Nov/Dec, coming to consoles at some point this year (and targeting 60fps!)

900p continues to live on Xbox One despite the console being 10x more powerful than PS4 due to the cloud.

I like how your snark is trying to imply the PS4 is the best platform here when it's still stuck at 1080p60. PC exists too, remember.

GT Sport coming this year.

The guy you're quoting said sim racer.

TheMan

My thoughts:

I hope anyone who bought PCars on console is not put off by the genre for extremely poor out of box experience regrading UI and game pad controls. Although i expect pad controls to be not much better.

I watched blackpanthaa's video on youtube of him using a controller, and he put >180* of the steering wheel lock through a corner which i know only uses about 90-100*, causing insane understeer. This is very hard to mitigate on gamepad, the only real way is some steering assist like Forza and GT have, that dynamically adjusts speed sensitvity to get the steering to lock at peak grip. AC wont have this for sure, just like PCars, meaning itll be terribly difficult even with decent settings.
On PC i have my 360 pad setup so i can test things, but its still not massively fun, and totally uncompetitive. You can be competitive in certain cars that suit the controller settings, but it wont work universally across cars.

And lastly, trying to play with a pad against AI, with the current videos, the AI look very fast for casual pad drivers (could change) on easy, but ok for casual wheel drivers.

Thanks for the impressions. This sounds really disheartening...don't they see that 95% or more of people who will play this on console will be using a pad? They need to poach whoever works on controller settings for forza and get this shit done right.

terrible

Banned
Thanks for the impressions. This sounds really disheartening...don't they see that 95% or more of people who will play this on console will be using a pad? They need to poach whoever works on controller settings for forza and get this shit done right.

You can still drive fine with a controller, you just have to understand that moving the joystick fully left or right is the equivalent of turning the wheel as far as it'll go. Forza artificially prevents you from turning your front tires to the point where you lose grip, that's why you can slam the joystick fully to the left or right without getting yourself into a tank-slapper every time.

That means for the majority of turns you should only be slightly moving left or right in PCars or Assetto Corsa when using a controller. That's a little hard with a standard joystick but if you have something like an FPS Freek on the left stick it's a lot easier to make small movements and keep your driving smooth. They'd be losing a lot of what makes it a sim if they used Forza type assists, though I am never against having more options so if they just made it an optional control style that would indeed be good.

Jamesways

You can still drive fine with a controller, you just have to understand that moving the joystick fully left or right is the equivalent of turning the wheel as far as it'll go. Forza artificially prevents you from turning your front tires to the point where you lose grip, that's why you can slam the joystick fully to the left or right without getting yourself into a tank-slapper every time.

That means for the majority of turns you should only be slightly moving left or right in PCars or Assetto Corsa when using a controller. That's a little hard with a standard joystick but if you have something like an FPS Freek on the left stick it's a lot easier to make small movements and keep your driving smooth. They'd be losing a lot of what makes it a sim if they used Forza type assists, though I am never against having more options so if they just made it an optional control style that would indeed be good.

And that's what steering sensitivity and deadzone adjustments are for, right? I'm sure it'll be fine. If I can find a setting to make pCARS enjoyable, I'm sure I'll be able to find some settings to make AC awesome too.

GHG

With sim racing games and controllers its all about fine tweaking the controller setup until it suits you.

The out of the box experience will be right for some people but horrid for other people. You just need to be willing to put a bit of work in to get it set up right based on your preferences.

I expect it will be no different with AC on consoles.

LilJoka

Thing is, if they did that, it would drive quite like Forza, in which case you may as well buy Forza as its a better package. In Forza the assist pretty much dynamically determines optimum slip angles at any travelling speed per car and then in realtime is setting the steering lock such that you dont over turn the wheel, this is why for a lot of pad users, Forza is pretty much on rails, and so is Gran Turismo but to a slightly lesser effect. Forza's simulation handling pretty much mimics the more loosely determined optimum slip angles (and thus steering lock on the joystick) like in GT.

Since Kunos are adding nothing in terms of assists, except speed sensitivity, to the pad, itll turn out just like PCars. And the reason for this is pretty simple, they dont want to alter the physics for anything.

If you want to get a handle on how this might feel, try playing rFactor with a gamepad. Decent settings can get you so far, but itll never be optimum like Forza/GT as they use per car realtime assist.

Sky Saw

Banned
Thing is, if they did that, it would drive quite like Forza, in which case you may as well buy Forza as its a better package. In Forza the assist pretty much dynamically determines optimum slip angles at any travelling speed per car and then in realtime is setting the steering lock such that you dont over turn the wheel, this is why for a lot of pad users, Forza is pretty much on rails, and so is Gran Turismo but to a slightly lesser effect. Forza's simulation handling pretty much mimics the more loosely determined optimum slip angles (and thus steering lock on the joystick) like in GT.

Since Kunos are adding nothing in terms of assists, except speed sensitivity, to the pad, itll turn out just like PCars. And the reason for this is pretty simple, they dont want to alter the physics for anything.

If you want to get a handle on how this might feel, try playing rFactor with a gamepad. Decent settings can get you so far, but itll never be optimum like Forza/GT as they use per car realtime assist.

So when you use a wheel on GT and Forza those pad assists turn off?

LilJoka

So when you use a wheel on GT and Forza those pad assists turn off?

Of course, would feel completely wrong otherwise, youd be pretty much changing the soft lock on the wheel.
For example at 100mph with a wheel you can put whatever lock you like, with a pad nope.

danowat

Banned
Dude, it's high time you got yourself a wheel.

It's not that I don't want one, I just haven't got the space to be able to set one up properly, maybe when we start looking for a new house to buy, I'll factor in a decent sized games room!

Jamesways

It's not that I don't want one, I just haven't got the space to be able to set one up properly, maybe when we start looking for a new house to buy, I'll factor in a decent sized games room!
We finally got the bigger house with extra rooms, I just need to convince the wife that I need to spend $600-1,300 on a proper rig.

She's so not on board right now.

Fox Mulder

getting flash backs to the pcars controller nightmare.

Actually I've been playing it. Pretty decent after the last big update. But I would trade open world for tracks.

does the crew have tracks built into the world? I know Test Drive Unlimited had one or two.

jimforspeed

Neo Member
Happy to see everything going well, being a supporter of the sim since the first day of the Technical Preview. Hopefully the income/publicity pressure from consoles will lead to a better MP system, because with Live for Speed dying, I really feel the quality racing void building up. I couldn't care less for career mode and AI, it's all good but it's for other games.

terrible

Banned

You don't need a lot of room if you have a Playseat Challenge. When you're done playing you can just fold it up and slip it in a closet or somewhere else out of the way.

That's what I use because I don't have room for a more permanent setup like a Playseat Evolution or whatever. It takes me like 30-60 seconds to get it up and running so I'm never too lazy to bring it out and play either. I'm really impressed with it and I can safely recommend it. You really have to get creative with shifter mounting but there's a thread on the pCARS forum with some good ideas in it.

The Xbox One keeps lagging behind with that 900p resolution. Pretty common anymore.

After watching the videos, I'd say the game looks no better than Forza-6, and I would venture to say it even looks worse.

So maybe the Devs for Asseto Corsa need to get a few pointers from Turn-Ten for XB1 optimization?

danowat

Banned
After watching the videos, I'd say the game looks no better than Forza-6, and I would venture to say it even looks worse.

So maybe the Devs for Asseto Corsa need to get a few pointers from Turn-Ten for XB1 optimization?

It's more work than FM6 is though, so I'd expect it to take a slight hit visually.

ethomaz

Banned

It do more in background in terms of physics than Forza 6.
The force feedback on wheels is better too.
At least from what I played on PC.

Luckydog

Dude, it's high time you got yourself a wheel.

But which one? I have been inching to get a wheel and this game may put me over the edge, but am having decision paralysis. I have a Fanatec CSR elite for Forza on 360 but was burned when I cant use it on the Xbox.

I'm considering a Fanatec Clubsport V2 so I can get PC, PS4 and Xbox one, but dont want to drop that much money with no upgrade path.....ugh, what to do.

As the Carn82 said, Turn 10 is first party and they even have experts who make tools for third party devs to get more out of their material and lighting engines.

The most important thing though is that Forza uses pre-baked lighting for a track, the lighting, cloud cover, time of day never changes (night and rain are basically seperate tracks and take a lot of space on the disc). PCARS and AC simulate the time of day and cloud cover(at least PCARS does), so of course they don't look as good as Forza Motorsport. But it's not as if you don't get anything in return. Driving alone on a track in PCARS in a thunderstorm at night, racing the whole night, going over a crest and see the sun rising over a fog area is pretty awesome. A sundown in the desert at Willow Springs can give you some Star Wars magic moment feeling.

Both techs have their advantages at the moment, but Forza's isn't really future proof, they will have to go for dynamic lighting once they'll develop for better hardware than the Xbox One.

danowat

Banned
But which one? I have been inching to get a wheel and this game may put me over the edge, but am having decision paralysis. I have a Fanatec CSR elite for Forza on 360 but was burned when I cant use it on the Xbox.

I'm considering a Fanatec Clubsport V2 so I can get PC, PS4 and Xbox one, but dont want to drop that much money with no upgrade path.....ugh, what to do.

Yeah, using two consoles for racing sims makes things a bit more muddy, is the Fanatec CS V2 the only one that supports both?

Yeah, using two consoles for racing sims makes things a bit more muddy, is the Fanatec CS V2 the only one that supports both?

With Fanatec you use the same wheel-base and different wheel add-ons for that base for each console, with Thrustmaster you can use the same wheel add-on (I got the Alcantara for 2 months now) but need to buy two wheel-bases, which is still cheaper than Fanatec, but also probably less awesome. Also switching between consoles is way (edit:)easier the way Fanatec has built their stuff.

Luckydog

That i have found yes. But at $600 just for the base (plus you need comparable wheels for different systems, it can get pricey. I would be willing to pull the trigger, but we are already a few years into this generation. Should this not be compatible with say a PS5 or Xbox Two, that would be criminal.....

With Fanatec you use the same wheel-base and different wheel add-ons for that base for each console, with Thrustmaster you can use the same wheel add-on (I got the Alcantara for 2 months now) but need to buy two wheel-bases, which is still cheaper than Fanatec, but also probably less awesome. Also switching between consoles is way (edit:)easier the way Fanatec has built their stuff.

You don't need diffrent wheels for the Fanatec the Xbox standalone rim and Xbox adapter both work for ps4 ps3 and pc. You still have to spend a shit ton, but you don't need seperate wheels, unless you have the original wheel adapter which was discontinued months ago.

Luckydog

You don't need diffrent wheels for the Fanatec the Xbox standalone rim and Xbox adapter both work for ps4 ps3 and pc. You still have to spend a shit ton, but you don't need seperate wheels, unless you have the original wheel adapter which was discontinued months ago.

Interesting. I thought the Xbox one adaptor only worked for Xbox. Still a $1000 buy in for the wheel is a tough sell.......but I so want to do it.

Fuck, I just checked, I can use the "ClubSport Steering Wheel Universal Hub for Xbox One EU" with the xbox buttons on it on a PS4... wtf.

I'll probably should never try buying into fanatec unless it's a complete, idiot-proof bundle.

Hey, do you also know if the rumble of the v3 clubsport pedals can rumble like the triggers of an Xbox One controller in Forza? Or is it directly linked to wheel-rumble and not able to receiving extra signals just for the pedals from a game?

Mascot

I've got a CSR Elite as well - amazing wheel, isn't it? So glad that legacy Fanatec support was added to pCARS and Assetto Corsa (and hopefully Dirt Rally and GT Sport) on PS4. I never thought that would happen after Xbone support was denied.

Luckydog

I've got a CSR Elite as well - amazing wheel, isn't it? So glad that legacy Fanatec support was added to pCARS and Assetto Corsa (and hopefully Dirt Rally and GT Sport) on PS4. I never thought that would happen after Xbone support was denied.

It is a great wheel setup. I'm still toying with the idea of the V2 with Xbox support and temporarily using the pedals and shifter from the Elite setup so I can play on PS4 and Xbox. Anyone actually using the clubsport V2 and can vouch its worth the buy in?

system11

Driveclub and FH have that pretty much covered on their respective platforms.

They're not really arcade, they're a halfway house - and in Driveclubs case 30fps which is deeply disappointing.

We need a Ridge Racer. A good one.
We need an open city racer as good as Midnight Club 2 was.

Hawk269

I love racing games so looking forward to this one. PCars, even though I was a supporter and I still earn money from them was a real disappointment. I have been mainly a Forza player, have all 6 plus the 2 FH games, but always want something with a little more sim to it than Forza offers. Ability to have tire/engine wear adjusted, pit stops that actually do something etc is what I am looking forward too. Hopefully they can get it stable at 60fps (regardless of PS4/Xbox One) and that control pad is implemented well.

terrible

Banned
Physics (especially road cars), force feedback, mod support, audio (for the most part).

Career is probably worse, but I prefer AC in almost every other aspect

pCARS has more tracks and cars plus dynamic weather and time of day. It also has better AI imo. I don't think their tracks are laser scanned though so they are probably less accurate than the ones in AC.

I like the driving experience in AC more and it runs better on my PC but pCARS is the more complete package right now. I guess they plan on adding more of a career mode for the console release but I can only comment on what we have on PC right now. With that said I still like AC more simply because it drives better.

Sky Saw

Banned
pCARS has more tracks and cars plus dynamic weather and time of day. It also has better AI imo. I don't think their tracks are laser scanned though so they are probably less accurate than the ones in AC.
Yes this is all true, Pcars tracks are pretty damn inaccurate sometimes, depends if you care about that stuff I guess. In sims I do. There are plenty of track mods for AC though, sadly no mods for console versions it seems.

I think AC's AI has come a long way especially in the latest update, I'm not sure if it's on the level of CARS yet but it's getting there.

Driving alone on a track in PCARS in a thunderstorm at night, racing the whole night, going over a crest and see the sun rising over a fog area is pretty awesome. A sundown in the desert at Willow Springs can give you some Star Wars magic moment feeling.

You're god damn right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lsFfyk0L3g

My league did a 15 lapper at Nordschliefe over the weekend in LMP1 with time sped up to 30x. Went through ~48 hours of time change, it's lovely seeing how the shadows change and watching the sun rise/fall.

Yes this is all true, Pcars tracks are pretty damn inaccurate sometimes, depends if you care about that stuff I guess. In sims I do. .

There are a few outlier tracks that are pretty poor renditions, but generally, I find them pretty good. Sonoma in particular, but it does have the best non-laser scanned Nordschliefe I've seen.

Top Bottom