• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa PS4 Alpha gameplay, preview

Does Assetto have multiclass and endurance racing in carreer mode?

That's the main thing for me in racing games.

I've been seeing some stuff on YouTube. The best R18 sound samples in te business got me excited, the graphics appeal to me more than other racers around and people who played on PC talks wonderful things.

I really need a proper racing simulator on my PS4, specially after my Project Cars hype train got nuked by the troublesome nature of the game and its support.

but it does have the best non-laser scanned Nordschliefe I've seen.
I had the impression that especially the Nordschleife is really inaccurate in PCARS, some other non-laser scanned tracks feel spot on though ... at least as far as I can tell comparing them to laser-scanned versions just from memory.

Hmm maybe, the ones in GT5/6 and Netkar pro were probably my favourites.
For a low-RAM last-gen game version the Nordschleife in GT is pretty amazing, I agree. Kaz really really cares about that track, I guess.

I had the impression that especially the Nordschleife is really inaccurate in PCARS, some other non-laser scanned tracks feel spot on though ... at least as far as I can tell comparing them to laser-scanned versions just from memory.

You can jump from AC's Nord' to PCars Nord' and feel right at home. The only real concern that is the fact PCars version is actually a little too bumpy on some segments of the track.

CaVaYeRo

We got a video demo / explanation / commentary on how Assetto Corsa console menus work and, more importantly, on every single settings parameter for the streamlined Force Feedback configuration system here:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/...gurar+el+Force+Feedback+en+Assetto+Corsa+PS4/

thisishow_1657893b.png

So it's settings including all those FFB, Curbs FFB, Road FFB, Slip FFB, Understeer FFB and degrees of rotation.

We got a video demo / explanation / commentary on how Assetto Corsa console menus work and, more importantly, on every single settings parameter for the streamlined Force Feedback configuration system here:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/...gurar+el+Force+Feedback+en+Assetto+Corsa+PS4/

So it's settings including all those FFB, Curbs FFB, Road FFB, Slip FFB, Understeer FFB and degrees of rotation.
That understeer slider isn't in the PC version, it's just a basic off/on. On is very OTT so I hope the PC version gets the same slider.

I'd be worried about not being able to reliably tune FFB in the console version because out of the box, the FFB in the PC version is absolutely all over the place. Some cars have very low gain, others have huge amounts of clipping and lack any kinda of feel. Properly tuned (FFBClip app is great for this) and the FFB is sublime, out the box it's lousy. So much so I very nearly refunded the game at first.

I really hope the PC version gets the d-pad friendly interface also, but I know Kunos aren't keen on porting it across. I hate having to lean over to my keyboard/mouse currently.

So much better than "Mz scale", "SoP Master" and what other non-consumer friendly keys PCARS uses. Given how few options there are, I guess the values interact with each other... like "higher understeer FFB" lowers the "Road FFB" and other things in the actual formula(not in the values on screen) in order to prevent clipping in certain conditions.

Yeah, I'm excited for this... only wish they had waited one more month to get the hype-train for console gamers going. I mean, I'm excited NOW, not sure I still will be in early april unless they have some new reveals.

Edit:
Properly tuned (FFBClip app is great for this) and the FFB is sublime, out the box it's lousy. So much so I very nearly refunded the game at first.
Uhm... didn't they improve the FFB after some outrage? Or was that in very early access? Now I only hear praise about AC's FFB from everywhere.
I believe you, but I hope it's just that you haven't tried the out-of-the-box FFB in a while and that has been sorted out or at least will be sorted out for the console release.

CaVaYeRo

Hmmm I hear praise as well.

Only tried Audi R8 and Ferrari FXXK myself on consoles, and default values were pretty good. Overall gain should be 50-60 by default and not 100 (they're probably doing just that with the final build), but rest felt nice :)

Uhm... didn't they improve the FFB after some outrage? Or was that in very early access? Now I only hear praise about AC's FFB from everywhere.
I believe you, but I hope it's just that you haven't tried the out-of-the-box FFB in a while and that has been sorted out or at least will be sorted out for the console release.
I picked it up about 6 weeks ago and am still working my way through tuning each car with FFBClip. The difference between the lowest and highest car is almost 60% gain. I'd say 80% of the cars are off and either clip heavily or are just way too low. pCars is the same. I just don't get it. If the FFB isn't right then everything else is all for nought imo.

I picked it up about 6 weeks ago and am still working my way through tuning each car with FFBClip. The difference between the lowest and highest car is almost 60% gain. I'd say 80% of the cars are considerably off and either clip heavily or are just way too low. pCars is the same. I just don't get it. If the FFB isn't right then everything else is all for nought imo.

I agree with your gain and clipping impressions of the factory PCARS settings. So... that's bad news for me on the AC end :(

If the game is great, I can live with "boring" but at least functional FFB like in GT6. If I had to use the PCARS FFB unchanged (especially after they made it way stronger on XB1 after a patch) I probably wouldn't have played PCARS at all.

garyizraw

Banned
900p continues to live on Xbox One despite the console being 10x more powerful than PS4 due to the cloud.

Anyway, game looks rather interesting.

To be fair, even after crackdown we can't expect third party studios to implent that software until microsoft makes it easy or unless they dump money into every game.

Also i love drive club and forza but this has my attention for some reason

terrible

Banned
That understeer slider isn't in the PC version, it's just a basic off/on. On is very OTT so I hope the PC version gets the same slider.

I'd be worried about not being able to reliably tune FFB in the console version because out of the box, the FFB in the PC version is absolutely all over the place. Some cars have very low gain, others have huge amounts of clipping and lack any kinda of feel. Properly tuned (FFBClip app is great for this) and the FFB is sublime, out the box it's lousy. So much so I very nearly refunded the game at first.

I really hope the PC version gets the d-pad friendly interface also, but I know Kunos aren't keen on porting it across. I hate having to lean over to my keyboard/mouse currently.

Without any tweaking outside of what is available in the menu and my wheel software the FFB is fantastic to me. I wonder if it's wheel specific. Thrustmaster TX here.

I agree with your gain and clipping impressions of the factory PCARS settings. So... that's bad news for me on the AC end :(

If the game is great, I can live with "boring" but at least functional FFB like in GT6. If I had to use the PCARS FFB unchanged (especially after they made it way stronger on XB1 after a patch) I probably wouldn't have played PCARS at all.

The FFB is way better than pCARS out of the box.

Jamesways

Weird considering that so many testers/reviewers already got a preview copy...

Maybe it's also to dodge the competition with DiRT Rally, a possible GT Sport Beta, Forza 6 Porsche DLC (people say march, I still assume april, since that's when the season pass runs out of promised car packs).

No no no, we're talking April 2016, not April 2017!

Har har.

Bummed about this, really looking forward to this game, probably my most anticipated title this year.
I'll will keep busy with Dirt Rally and pCARS while waiting.

Some coverage by Alan at VVV-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTtbXGURmTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esaxfpuvPyk

Jamesways

Dammit! Well, gives me more time to pre-order it on PSN.

Now I can focus on Miletsone's bike games in June-
Valentino Rossi/MotoGP16 and Ducati (Ride spin off).

I just recently learned to drive the Nordschleife. And I have this game to thank for that. This track and physics alone make it worth it.

The career mode is overrated tbh. It's in typical PC sim style and very unimaginative.

Bobnob

I wish this would be the sort of game to take advantage of the xbox beta program, like i'd pay for it right now from what i've seen.

Momentary

Banned
Car list keeps growing bigger for the console release.

- Features Mazda MX-5 2015
- Features Mazda MX-5 CUP
- Features Mazda RX-7 Spirit R + tuned version
- Features Toyota Supra MK IV + time attack and Drift version
- Features Toyota AE86 Trueno + tuned and Drift version
- Features Nissan 370Z NISMO
- Features Nissan GT-R R34 Skyline V-Spec

All added today on STEAM.

anddo0

Car list keeps growing bigger for the console release.

- Features Mazda MX-5 2015
- Features Mazda MX-5 CUP
- Features Mazda RX-7 Spirit R + tuned version
- Features Toyota Supra MK IV + time attack and Drift version
- Features Toyota AE86 Trueno + tuned and Drift version
- Features Nissan 370Z NISMO
- Features Nissan GT-R R34 Skyline V-Spec

All added today on STEAM.

Just saw that my game was updated... All dlc for $20.56?
Might have to jump on that.. The PS4/XB1 versions are late August now.

Mascot

https://youtu.be/FWJAuZhWwUM

PS4 footage from eurogamer.it.

Looks pretty solid. I'm going to miss dynamic ToD but I'll be picking this up for the cars and tracks missing from pCARS.

Translation:

Many sexy game for cars racing have emerge soon, Asseto Corsa but be like naked female who entice with legs and chest, seduction. For to be top look, is good. Man play on drive with erect part for to be happy with every, and trouser explode. Game so good no sexy lady can divert.

Looks pretty solid. I'm going to miss dynamic ToD but I'll be picking this up for the cars and tracks missing from pCARS.

Get ready for far superior feel for your cars. You will be slower and have less grip, but the cars will feel more natural and be easier to drive because of that. Really interested if and how your perspective on pCARS will change.

Mascot

Get ready for far superior feel for your cars. You will be slower and have less grip, but the cars will feel more natural and be easier to drive because of that. Really interested if and how your perspective on pCARS will change.

I've had AC on a creaky VAIO for a couple of years and loved the handling with my Fanatec wheels. I had to play with PS2 levels of graphical fidelity though to get 60fps so I haven't really played it since pCARS launched.

TheMan

For those fearing that the game won't control well with a gamepad, I ended up buying this on sale for the PC. Gamepad controls are fantastic and totally shit on project cars. I don't think I've done any tweaking at all to things besides button layout...deadzones, sensitivities, and all that shit works fine with default settings. I caved on the PC version cause it was cheap and the mod scene is fairly active, but if the controls are kept the same for the ps4 version you'll be in good shape.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The devs are targeting PSVR for this, aren't they?

PC version still only has beta support for VR. Whether they get things done in time for PSVR launch remains to be seen.

It's pretty awesome on an Oculus with a full wheel setup though, even in the beta state.

Top Bottom