• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
You should include this one:

There really isn't a need to. People should understand that anything journalists have told us about the NX is variable to change. T heir sources could have outdated information ect...

Oregano

Someone please find me a Breath of the Wild caliber mobile game running at at least 720p for a period of time that would be acceptable for a handheld.

Latest rumors have been good, but honestly starting to get fatigued seeing only rumors and no official word from Nintendo. Hopefully the reveal is within the coming weeks.

I'll be very satisfied with 720p on the handheld though.

Same size as the gamepad, which is what I was expecting. 720p seems somewhat high for battery life to be decent though

Wonder if it can do DS games with the screens side by side - or maybe even turned around with the controller bits clicked into the other sides

pastrami

The real kicker for me is the screen size. Combine that with two detachable and full featured controllers, and just how big is this thing supposed to be? Getting less and less excited about this one. Seems like they are trying to make it a jack-of-all-trades, to the detriment of the handheld side of things.

LewieP

I am hoping for 540p, but I had a smaller screen in mind. Probably would still prefer that but 720p is ok. Hope they have the GPU grunt and battery capacity to suit.

I still hope they make a handheld and a home console, perhaps just with the handheld running at 720p and home console running at 1080p.

I don't want to use a handheld on my TV.

Schnozberry

Same size as the gamepad, which is what I was expecting.

Wonder if it can do DS games with the screens side by side

Or maybe even turned around with the controller bits clicked into the other sides

The 2DS is one large screen separated by a bezel to create the appearance of two, so I would think they could do emulation if they wanted to. It would get a bit wonky though.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Isn't the Wii U Gamepad screen exactly 6.2 inches?

Yup. Might be they just highly modified the Gamepad for prototype and early dev kit units. Kind of like how they used a screen with two Wii-motes attached to it for early Gamepad prototypes.

Kudo

720p in 2016, my cheap phone I bought in 2012 has that same resolution. Will seriously re-evaluate my plans to get the system if true, at least the home console needs to be native 1080p.

Eusis

It's not that much bigger than an iPhone 6 Plus (5.5")
And screens that size and smaller have been rocking 1080p for awhile. Hell, some are crazy and going for 4K (which will be amazing for VR but kinda silly on phones. Diminishing returns for damn sure.)

6" screen?

Well so much for being a portable system.

Fuck.

bZjC8JW.jpg

My concern is how small the controllers are going to be, assuming the NX screen is going to have a 16:9 ratio.

Plum

720p isn't going to cut it. Budget phones and tablets ship with 1080p displays.

And do they have the power to run Breath of the Wild (the one game we know for certain will be on the NX in a form we can look at right now) at a full 1080p with decent framerate whilst making sure the battery doesn't drain in an hour?

I'd be very impressed if they could, extremely impressed actually.

Kouriozan

Might be a bit too big but nowadays I don't leave my house with my handhelds so it should be fine.
Expecting a smaller SKU sometime later though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
720p isn't going to cut it. Budget phones and tablets ship with 1080p displays.
...but the quality of the visuals being driven are directly impacted by this. Jumping up to 1080p massively increases the rendering requirements which would, in turn, reduce the quality of the visuals in mobile mode.

Those budget phones sure as hell aren't producing acceptable visuals at 60fps at full 1080p - not the kind of visuals this thing needs to produce.

Ok so it's a screen with detachable Wii Remotes, I'm calling it now that there will eventually be a VR headset accessory where the screen slides into it like Gear VR and the Wii Remotes are used like Vive/PS Move controllers.

It won't be "real" VR since it won't have positional tracking like the Vive and PSVR (or the power) but it'll be better than the Gear VR and other headsets that you slide your phone into. Maybe the headset would come with a Sensor Bar, or maybe it'll be built in to the dock? I imagine the NX HAS to have some kind of Sensor Bar regardless since it'll have Wii Remote-esque controllers.

Gaspard

720p sounds perfect in terms of battery life to performance ratio for the handheld. Hopefully we get at least 5 hours out of this thing.

For those complaining about the resolution:

1) Phones with 1080p pixel density cost hundreds of dollars more than NX will cost.

2) Those phones don't run games at full resolution anyway. It's a performance and battery hit not worth taking.

540p and 5 inches would have been perfect and has an upscaled ratio exact with 1080p. Hope 720p is a false flag.

Schnozberry

Ok so it's a screen with detachable Wii Remotes, I'm calling it now that there will eventually be a VR headset accessory where the screen slides into it like Gear VR and the Wii Remotes are used like Vive/PS Move controllers.

It won't be "real" VR since it won't have positional tracking like the Vive and PSVR (or the power) but it'll be better than the Gear VR and other headsets that you slide your phone into. Maybe the headset would come with a Sensor Bar, or maybe it'll be built in to the dock? I imagine the NX HAS to have some kind of Sensor Bar regardless since it'll have Wii Remote-esque controllers.

At 720p it would look like you're viewing everything through a screen door. VR would be a mistake.

Shinigami

Why is it that people believe 720p would be too much for a 6.2 inch screen? Some cell phones have been quad hd for a few years now (The LG G series comes to mind) and with the batteries they come equipped with, they can last quite a few hours without needing a charge. At that size, 720p, while better than the Wii U screen, won't look as crisp as it could.

Edit: I did forget about the price of the machine though, and running a game constantly. Heh.

MANGOD

Banned
I cracked the screen on my wii u pad nearly 2 years ago. Nintendo wanted £75 to repair it. NO THANKS REGGIE im not down with this

jett

D-Member
Best thing to take from this is Nintendo ditching their worthless dualscreen gimmick.

Awful. Just awful. Upscaling is awful. If it doesn't render in 1080p it's a no buy for me.

This thing is purportedly weaker than the Xbone, which currently struggles rendering games at full HD, most multiplatforms land at 900p.

So 720p for the NX seems about right.

Kudo

...but the quality of the visuals being driven are directly impacted by this. Jumping up to 1080p massively increases the rendering requirements which would, in turn, reduce the quality of the visuals in mobile mode.

Those budget phones sure as hell aren't producing acceptable visuals at 60fps at full 1080p - not the kind of visuals this thing needs to produce.

Does the game need to run at 1080p though? I'm fairly sure just having 1080p screen and having some games that run natively on that, but then more demanding games run at lower resolution, would be better solution than just having some sub-HD screen that will affect general UI look too.
But you're right, it's probably not that easy to get 1080/60 running portably, will have to see and this is all just grain of salt stuff anyway.

SxP

People are cheering for 720p on a 6.2 inch screen. What kind of phones are you people using? I saw the title and thought: "Damn, that resolution is straight out of 2013".

I mean, I get it, this is supposed to be affordable. But that doesn't make 720p anything to cheer about.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
6.2 inch 720p multi-touch touchscreen

720p. Yeah. Hardly impressive. :(

I can kind of guess just how powerful this thing will be. I think lot of folks will be disappointed.

Yes, but it's 480p. The bump to 720p would push ppi just above Vita.

Thinking about it. You are right. I take back my previous comment about the screen. 720p on a screen that size would look great. I really hope it's OLED.

Really hope it's smaller/the form factor of the device is compact. If the thing can be docked to a television, I really would prefer a smaller device for on the go.

Why are people saying 720p on a handheld is disappointing? Very confused by what exactly people want out of the thing. I personally just don't think Nintendo needs higher than that or would really benefit all that much from it.

NateDrake

Months ago people were told it likely wouldn't be 1080p and still folks act disappointed when they were previously settling for 540.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom