• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.
720p sounds a bit too high for me but people will freak out and do the "lol nintendo" thing anyway when comparing it to phones.

Adryuu

1080p would be nicer if only for simpler games or watching videos and stuff, because it would mean it had the power to output that to the tv. I don't think the "dock", if it exists, would provide more power. Would love to be served crow on this. 1080p portable Breath of the Wild is honestly just nuts, so we're probably good with 720p. Vita intensive games were almost all sub-native resolution after all, alas, Wii U games are mostly 720p right?

720p for a portable is nice enough anyway, and it's the resolution Breath of the Wild is running on, so it's good to me if it runs just the same as WiiU in portable mode. I mean, that would already be one hell of a portable system.

I don't think 6+ inches is TOO big. I always thought they were going for a big screen that you can carry with you but you separate the control pads from and set on a stand over a table/bench/whatever. So, you can use it on the train commute but it weighs maybe a bit too much, but then you arrive somewhere and set it on stand on a table if you just don't have a tv, and that's still hybrid/portable/whatever.
If that's not the case 6 inches is still sweet, really, it's just a big larger than vita's screen and with better resolution. Imagine it's oled too, or at least ips, hnnnnngg. DAT ZELDA ON 6'' OLED!!!

The only issue could be weight. But please no sub-native resolution games, that sucks a real lot.

rekameohs

Banned
Goddamn, 720p would be awwweeesome. Who knows what the finished screen size will be but assuming the sources are accurate, I'm sure the resolution wouldn't change.

EDIT: waitaminute, people are complaining about a handheld video game console with 720p resolution?! Never change, GAF.

javac

Breath of the Wild probably wouldn't be that great on a smaller screen. I'm just hoping that the battery life is good and that the games run smoothly. If they forgo native resolution for better framerates at that point it would be better to have a lower res screen but maybe 720p is what they're aiming for on the TV.

The Hermit

Same size as the WiiU Pad?

This will be confusing as Hell lol

No wonder Reggie is worried about how people receive it..

Luckyly very few people knows what the WiiU is

Mega

Banned
Anyone who thinks 720p isn't enough for a modern handheld should spend some time with this. (GPD XD, fantastic 720p screen)

5Mw6bGz.jpg

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
As much as the WiiU really pissed me off. And yes. I have one since launch and have plenty of game for it.

The thought of having a portable that can play the next Zelda at 720p has me frankly drooling. Those fuckers. I was out.

giphy.gif

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
For those still comparing this to your smartphone, please keep in mind this rumour is the upper end of expectations for a device that has to

• Sell at mass market price without contract subsidies
  • Run full-fledged modern videogame without melting
  • Have acceptable battery life

http://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g

Not 150$ but close, there are other examples as well. Though if the comparison makes sense, that's another story

I have a Moto G myself. It won't be running any sort of modern 3D game.

Taker666

Yeah, this is my concern... make it 5" (PSVita size) and call it good.

It's a tricky one. IF it's a hybrid and the controls are also used for tv play, then the controllers are going to have to be decently sized. The smaller the screen..the smaller the controllers will likely be (unless they have prongs that extend below the base of the screen).

For those still comparing this to your smartphone, please keep in mind this rumour is the upper end of expectations for a device that has to

The third point hasn't seemed to matter to Nintendo for a long while. Doubt it will have decent battery life.

Rellik

For those complaining about the resolution:

1) Phones with 1080p pixel density cost hundreds of dollars more than NX will cost.

2) Those phones don't run games at full resolution anyway. It's a performance and battery hit not worth taking.

540p and 5 inches would have been perfect and has an upscaled ratio exact with 1080p. Hope 720p is a false flag.

LG G3 can be bought for £150 with a 1440 x 2560 screen.

Number 2 is definitely correct though.

javac

6 inch isn't big for a screen but it'll have a meaty bezel to house all of those buttons and front facing speakers no doubt.

lol at people saying 720p is too much for a hanheld. It's the bare minimum for a screen nowadays.

For phones. The power requirements for a handheld are completely different and 720 could hurt the system's visuals greatly. Phones with 1080p or higher screens are irrelevant because they aren't rendering games natively and they're usually graphically worse than Wii U games.

Why would they? Just stick it in the dock and never take it out. Ta-da, console-only NX.

To be honest, I think it would be a good idea to release a console only SKU down the line. It could have the same hardware as the portable but with a stand alone controller. Since there would be no screen and no extra dock, it could end up being pretty cheap which could attract buyers who aren't interested in having a portable.

Though I guess it would depend on how important the touchscreen is to the system and games.

Persona7

Banned

My 3DS runs at 240P and the battery lasts MAYBE four hours. Doesn't seem to be a priority for Nintendo.

Asd202

But it won't run modern video games just Nintendo and Japanese games.

Oregano

As much as the WiiU really pissed me off. And yes. I have one since launch and have plenty of game for it.

The thought of having a portable that can play the next Zelda at 720p has me frankly drooling. Those fuckers. I was out.

giphy.gif

+ Mario Kart + Xenoblade
+ Every Nintendo game for the foreseeable future

How about there's a 6.2" 720p screen handheld with a docking mode as the "main" NX, but a cheaper, handheld only 5" 720p NX available? Would that make people happy? I'd certainly prefer it.

ss_lemonade

For people saying that 720p is too low, streaming games to my Shield Portable at it's native 720p resolution doesn't look too bad. In fact, it looks close to being as good as the native source, just on a smaller screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom