• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

People are cheering for 720p on a 6.2 inch screen. What kind of phones are you people using? I saw the title and thought: "Damn, that resolution is straight out of 2013".

I mean, I get it, this is supposed to be affordable. But that doesn't make 720p anything to cheer about.

Come back when those phones can run Wii U level+ games for a few hours and you might have a point.

I cracked the screen on my wii u pad nearly 2 years ago. Nintendo wanted £75 to repair it. NO THANKS REGGIE im not down with this

image.php

People are cheering for 720p on a 6.2 inch screen. What kind of phones are you people using? I saw the title and thought: "Damn, that resolution is straight out of 2013".

I mean, I get it, this is supposed to be affordable. But that doesn't make 720p anything to cheer about.

It's a biiiiig step up from the 3DS's 240p. And if the games are beefier than Wii U level stuff, even that system only rarely went above 720p.

Is there still a possibility the NX's dock will have improved processing power and allow for a 1080p render in console mode?

It's not a phone.
It's a videogame system that'll play full fledged videogames.

J@hranimo

Banned
Oh and it looks like it's not dual screen anymore, so the Dragon Quest XI port will definitely be the PS4 one.

Bingo.

I also didn't know the Gamepad's screen size was 6.2in :O

That screen size + multitouch + 720p are exciting. It's like the two things I wished the Gamepad was to begin with.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

720 is still fine for phones too though. if it keeps the price down i'm fine with it. 720 on a 6.2 inch screen is definitely out of "retina" territory but it'll be far from bad looking, especially for video media. and 720 games on ~600 GF hardware should look pretty damn good.

at this point i just hope the bezel is slim.

...and that it runs android but i know that's a pipe dream.

iBlue

Everything sounds good i am just a little corcern about the buttons. It kinda sounds like it will be a portable wii u gamepad

LewieP

Direct comparisons to phones are not particularly useful. Those are devices designed for displaying text, images, videos and simple games, not playing complex 3D games for long sessions. The requirements for such hardware is vastly different to a handheld console.

You also have countless manufacturers engaging in a spec wars pissing contest, often to the detriment of design.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
720p will look fine. A nice bump over the Vita and you know all of Nintendo's output will be native res too.

Jeels

The more I hear about the NX the less interested I get :(

I really hope they make a "console only" version of it too at some point.

J@hranimo

Banned
Everything sounds good i am just a little corcern about the buttons. It kinda sounds like it will be a portable wii u gamepad

Yeah from what bits of info here and there it does sound like the reverse of the Wii U concept with stronger specs.

Why do you people keep comparing the NX to phones?

foppy79

6.2 inch might be a little big, but happy to hear about 720p, hopefully the final version is a little smaller, perhaps 5.8in

Plum

720p. Yeah. Hardly impressive. :(

I can kind of guess just how powerful this thing will be. I think lot of folks will be dissapointed.

If Nintendo could somehow create a handheld device retailing for under $300 that can run Breath of the Wild at 1080p/30fps then my mind would be absolutely blown. I really don't understand how them doing less than that is disappointing and indicative of a low-powered machine. In real-world scenarios even the iPhone 6+ wouldn't be able to handle a typical complex console game at a decent framerate.

MCN

Banned

One that gets extremely hot when I try to run anything demanding, and ends up with a battery life measured in milliseconds. And can't run Breath of the Wild.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
720p. Yeah. Hardly impressive. :(

I can kind of guess just how powerful this thing will be. I think lot of folks will be dissapointed.

No, you can't. Also 720P for a handheld is plenty.

having 1080P on a small gaming device is going to burn resources, burn battery life, and overall = lower quality looking games. Just so you could be happy by checking that pixel box.

Flare

So presumably, if the rumour's true, the console aspect of this hybrid machine would also be 720p? Unless the SCD patent becomes a thing a year or so down the line.

martino

6" + gaming control won't go in pocket
bad move .mainstream good size for use other than game (watch anime /serie/ film) and idea"l web navigation is 10"
tegra bringing h265....an intelligent game tablet doing what most be use them for would be a thing...
this is niche choice and won't gather much people imo.

Mega

Banned
Awful. Just awful. Upscaling is awful. If it doesn't render in 1080p it's a no buy for me.

720p Wii U games upscale nicely to 1080p, although I do agree in preferring 1080p render via dock hardware.

I hope it's a really nice screen because that's just as important as moving away from 3DS 240p.

Shiggy

For those complaining about the resolution:

1) Phones with 1080p pixel density cost hundreds of dollars more than NX will cost.

2) Those phones don't run games at full resolution anyway. It's a performance and battery hit not worth taking.

540p and 5 inches would have been perfect and has an upscaled ratio exact with 1080p. Hope 720p is a false flag.

At least that part is not true. I bought my phone for 300 EUR last year and it has a 1080p screen.

EVH

720p comming from Nintendo and after the shitty 3DS screen, makes me very happy.

And looks like we got capacitive screen to.

Hurrah!

Hybrid is right

Portable console for local play

Dock to TV

Looking a lot like a gaming tablet setup kind of like what Razor did

joecanada

Honestly I may be incorrect here but if your paying a premium for 1080p on a small phone screen you may be falling for marketing hype. My Nexus 5 was 720 I bought it brand new for 150 bucks and I like it as much as my xperia

Doctre81

Wait I thought most were expecting a 540p screen. Now it's looking to be 720p and that is not good enough lol. Anything over that is complete overkill on a 6 inch screen anyway.

Uhyve

Oh and it looks like it's not dual screen anymore, so the Dragon Quest XI port will definitely be the PS4 one.
While I'm glad they dropped that, I hope they allow you to attach the controllers with the screen in a vertical orientation to allow for 3DS compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom