• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden Palutena's Guidance Found in Smash Wii U Data, More DLC Characters Coming?

Roto13

You guys saying "It's what will play if there's an error and it doesn't recognize the character it's talking about" are weird. That makes no sense at all.

You guys saying "It's what will play if there's an error and it doesn't recognize the character it's talking about" are weird. That makes no sense at all.
How many games get the VA cast to read out error codes in-character only people disc-mining would find anyway?

... It's something I could totally imagine Sakurai doing though.

:D
We all need to get together and yell at Sakurai to make Rayman a DLC guest character; surely he's just the right size for settling it in smash.

The right size?

829.jpg

Are you sure about that?

hatchx

Banned
If they bring Snake as DLC, they'd just have to release a Metal Gear on WiiU, and I'd be totally happy with MGS2/3 collection, but I digress.

Based on Sakurai-San's recent comments, it really doesn't sound like there will be DLC characters beyond Mewtwo.

Pit: Who is that?
Palutena: I have no data on this fighter. I can't believe it.
Viridi: It must be an intruder from another dimension.
Pit: Whoever it is, the goal remains the same. To fight and win.

"no data" = non-specific
"another dimension" = the real world
"to fight and win" = action

Clearly Non-specific Action Figure is DLC.

markot

Banned
I have to say.

screw you sakurai for putting pitt and paulenta in this game >_<

Couldnt keep them in your awful 3ds game and let them rot there!?

Raitaro

It's Simon Belmont.

Oh god, let this be true!

Him, Snake or (SF) Ryu would elevate this game to heavenly nostalgia tier for me, especially if we'd see all three.

It could be Bayonetta as well though, right?

I have to say.

screw you sakurai for putting pitt and paulenta in this game >_<

Couldnt keep them in your awful 3ds game and let them rot there!?

Edit: also, is my sarcasm radar broken, or? If not, is this real life?

Trike

Wouldn't it just make more sense to have nothing happen in that instance than go to the effort of recording an error message that never actually plays in-game?

Unless they put it in as a precaution and needed to have something play in order to keep the game from breaking. I mean, Palutena literally says she doesn't have the data on the fighter, you can't get any more transparent than that. We don't know how the code is set up, but it makes a whole lot more sense than it being for a character that they have said is not in development. Or at the very least, there would be one for Mewtwo rather than a whole new character. It is too generic to even be about a specific character. It will probably play if/when someone hacks the game to play as a nonplayable character like Master Hand. Or maybe even there was an option to use it during the fight against Master Core. All other options are more viable, but it would make less of a sensationalistic title.

Obviously, this is just the normal speech given after the huge "Disney Infinity 2.0 compatibility with Super Smash Bros." patch. Obviously, you need to own the figure to unlock them in Smash. Finally, Thor versus Palutena, Elsa versus Charizard, or Iron Man versus Samus Aran can be a thing.

Doczu

If that would be Simon Belmont i would just spam Starbombs "Crasher-Cania" tune during combat so that my girls brain melt.

But seriously i'm no against DLC characters, but i do hope that if they come along (and i'm pretty sure they will) they won't be absurdly priced. I would rather like something like DLC for Hyrule Warriors. 3-4 characters and levels. That would be nicer than milking 4-5 bucks per character...

Golnei

Unless they put it in as a precaution and needed to have something play in order to keep the game from breaking. I mean, Palutena literally says she doesn't have the data on the fighter, you can't get any more transparent than that. We don't know how the code is set up, but it makes a whole lot more sense than it being for a character that they have said is not in development. Or at the very least, there would be one for Mewtwo rather than a whole new character. It is too generic to even be about a specific character. It will probably play if/when someone hacks the game to play as a nonplayable character like Master Hand. Or maybe even there was an option to use it during the fight against Master Core. All other options are more viable, but it would make less of a sensationalistic title.

If it played a dummy audio file, that'd be plausible, but this is a separate conversation that had to be scripted, translated and acted. It makes no sense as an error message.

Zombine

Banned
I honestly would rather not get my hopes up in regards to more DLC other than Mewtwo. Yes, Nintendo has been aggressive in terms of their new appreciation of passes and content expansion, but it will have to be done without Sakurai. He seems firmly planted in the old world when it comes to additional content.

Doczu

I would love someone from Advance Wars. I was crossing my fingers hoping Sakurai would implement someone from the series. They really have a cast of great characters and at least one of them could be used :(

A place holder or an error handling easter egg... Just like in the Persona titles where they had the voice actors record lines for impossible to obtain persona as well as a "this shouldn't happen!" type message.

Trike

If it played a dummy audio file, that'd be plausible, but this is a separate conversation that had to be scripted, translated and acted. It makes no sense as an error message.

I don't understand that logic. So because it is voiced it doesn't make sense and the only other conclusion it that it is for a DLC character? The only character Sakurai says is in development is Mewtwo and he has no plans for future DLC characters.

Neoxon

I don't understand that logic. So because it is voiced it doesn't make sense and the only other conclusion it that it is for a DLC character? The only character Sakurai says is in development is Mewtwo and he has no plans for future DLC characters.
He said he currently had no plans.

Zubz

Banned
I'm 50/50. On the one hand, this could just be a playful approach to an error message; Brawl didn't have one with Snake, but characters like the Mii Fighters mean there's more room forever, and Sakurai may have wanted to do something with the KI cast for what may be his last time (He goes into each game assuming there's no sequel). On the other, even if Sakurai is 110% about not having DLC planned, it was always a possibility; just look at the DLC Shop and Stage Select screen arrows. Obviously, something have to be there if Pit tried to do Divine Guidance for one, and voice actors aren't always readily available.

Hey, who knows, maybe this is a dummy message for a potential glitch involving DLC? They definitely are considering the potential for it regardless of this file's purpose, but either way, even if it seems like too grand for a blasé character like Dixie or a Brawl Vet (I mean, if he remembered that whole "Shadow Bug" bit with Game & Watch, it'd be weird if he forgot Lucas, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, or the Ice Climbers as comrades in arms, too), it's just a placeholder.

Aw, who'm I kidding. Crash Bandicoot & Ridley's clone Liquid Ridley confirmed to launch with Mewtwo.

Top Bottom