• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the end, did Linkin Park deserve all the hate they got? Does it even matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

Hybrid Theory and Meteora were good. I appreciated Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns because they were trying to change things up a little. Overall there are other groups that deserve way worse 'hate' than LP.

I put them into the same group as disturbed or drowning pool or papa roach

Music was actually shit but who cared it was "harder" music than what was on the radio and hit at just the right time for my generation

Still, I did buy some of their songs on Rock Band 3 a few years ago because they're fun

I would probably place them a tier above those bands, but whatever, nothing worth thinking about too much.

It is a combination of teenage angst and them being overplayed. I remember a thread on Gaf about how their would be a video for The End set to anything one could think of.

Fou-Lu

Hybrid Theory and Meteora are good albums, they are easy fun listening and good to rock out to. Reanimation was good too and their newest album isn't bad.

Fort Minor is where it's at though. Shinoda can really rap given the chance.

Jobbs

Banned
Not many bands DESERVE hate. If you like something, then like it, and don't give a shit who thinks you shouldn't.

And FTR, Nickelback and Creed were a hundred times worse than Linkin Park ever was.

I was the biggest fan of them I knew as a 14-15 year old. When Living Things was coming out my hype was so massive. I played the shit out of it, and then played the shit out of it some more... and then, it kinda got old. Around when I was 16 I started listening to 70s prog rock a bunch and after that my first band crush ever became an embarrassment for me. The Hunting Party came out and I listened to it once out of curiosity, but yeah, this kind of music just wasn't for me. They were a great nu metal (not a fan - but from that genre, they were first tier) outfit in the early days, an average alternative outfit in the late 00s, and... more alternative in the 10s. I still sorta like A Thousand Suns, and do attribute that to developing my tastes to listening to "better" music.

Fuchsdh

Angsty yes. But still musically compelling.

I love me some Linkin park. I mean, you had a fuckin DJ spinning, a rapper, Chester's voice and sweet guitar and bass riffs.

I don't actively seek out their music, but I still appreciate elements of it. Really Linkin Park was my edge tolerance for that kind of music, and still is. They were screaming, but they weren't screaming all the time. They were loud, but they weren't loud all the time and had some actual range to their output. They had a kind of whiny voice, but it was still a bit less than the Blink 182 bright line I had that if someone stepped over I couldn't handle their music at all.

genjiZERO

I was an adult when it came out so to me it was always very childish, but I can see how it would be appealing to teenagers and pre-teens. There's nothing wrong with making music for this demographic.

B33

Banned
Not many bands DESERVE hate. If you like something, then like it, and don't give a shit who thinks you shouldn't.

And FTR, Nickelback and Creed were a hundred times worse than Linkin Park ever was.
All three are awful.

daviyoung

Banned
Yes, but they're super successful so at the end of the day, who cares?
ICP got a bunch of shit too, but they gained a rabid fanbase that makes them money to this day out of it so it's kind of like who cares if your music is trash if enough people like it

yeh, like why bother talking about things?

Xe4

Banned
I loved Linkin Park back in the day. I stand by my opinnion that their only good albums were Hybrid Theory and Meteora.

ghostjoke

Banned
Hybrid Theory is pretty good but the lyrics are cringy as hell throughout. I recall Meteora was alright too but I never listened to it in full much.

What hate? They are mostly a nostalgia act right now. Their music was angsty, but it worked for our teenager selves.

Minutes to midnight >>>>> ur ugly faves

collige

Banned
The first two albums are pretty good, but the lyrics have always been trash. I don't think people would hate them nearly as much if they weren't so overplayed and used in every trash AMV.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Yes, they did.

We look back on their music now and laugh. The angst just kills it, it's the musical equivalent of /r/im14andthisisdeep.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
It's the kind of stuff you grow out of.

Hell, even they grew out of it. I mean, their music is still not that compelling, but it's definitely better than most of their early 2000s material.

While on the topic of people that didn't deserve the hate, pre-douchey phase Justin Biber got an obscene amount of it. Oh don't get me wrong, his songs are complete garbage to me but I still never understood the amount of death threats and fuckery people gave him back then.

I mean, there were easily about a dozen others like him out there at the time, yet people wanted this specific person massacred for some reason. IMO, it was a contributing factor to why he became douche-Bieber in the first place.

Wiseblade

Hybrid Theory has a good sound, but is atrocious lyrically. Their later albums don't really progress from this point either.

Nightbird

You tell me OP, i've been getting crap for my musical choices since ever.

But i really don't think they did. It's kinda mean towards the Fans that they completly abandoned their old style, but it's their choice, so more power to them

zeitgeist

I don't think Linkin Park deserves hate really.

I used to like them a lot and even though I didn't really relate to the angsty stuff at all, I've always thought it was beneficial for kids actually struggling with angst/ depression to have music they can relate to.

Same goes for bands like Good Charlotte and anyone else with songs that have anti-suicide / it gets better-esque messages. Sometimes kids need that.

You tell me OP, i've been getting crap for my musical choices since ever.

But i really don't think they did. It's kinda mean towards the Fans that they completly abandoned their old style, but it's their choice, so more power to them

That's pretty entitled. I only ever want an artist to make the music they want to make. I don't ever want someone to make something they don't want to make.

I didn't go out of my way to listen to them nor did I hate them with a passion, but it was immediately apparent from their singles that their total vocabulary was probably like 50 words. How many times did they rhyme "feel" and "real"? I liked certain aspects of their sound, but I can't listen to music that is constantly reminding me it's for 13 year olds.
You were listening to music at 13?

I don't hear people say that type of thing about them.

My friends and I loved them during high school, and I still like their debut album and its follow-up quite a bit. When they changed their sound and went a bit emo, things went downhill.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
They're so bad. And not in the Power Glove in the Wizard way. Just the Power Glove in reality sort of way. From the get go, I was about 15 when One Step Closer hit and they were immediately among my most hated music on the radio. In the 15 years since I haven't heard anything that's made me reconsider my position.

Mohasus

It is sad that most people didn't give a chance to A Thousand Suns and The Hunting Party, I really like these albums.

Nightbird

That's pretty entitled. I only ever want an artist to make the music they want to make. I don't ever want someone to make something they don't want to make.

Nah, you took it all wrong.
I'm totally in for new stuff, but it's not like they made some bonus Track for the Fans of the older stuff, they completely abandoned it. If you were a Fan of the older stuff, that'll disappoint you.

I won't ask for an Artist to do the same over and over again. That'll be like what Fall out Boy did up until Folie a Deux. I'm asking to not completely bury the past.

But at this point, it doesn't matter anymore, since they have been doing their new stuff for a while. Those who like it are there, those who dislike it left already.

It is sad that most people didn't give a chance to A Thousand Suns and The Hunting Party, I really like these albums.

A Thousand Suns is such a good Album. Some of my favorite Tracks of them are from that Album (the others are from Meteora)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom