• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the end, did Linkin Park deserve all the hate they got? Does it even matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I look back on it, I think they kind of do deserve some of the hate, because their music just seems so stereotypically edgy. Purposefully vague lyrics that appeal to angst-ridden teens, Chester's voice, the fairly corny rap segments. It felt kind of kitchen sink in terms of appeal. Rapping plus heavy guitar plus the scream singing plus the electronic-based production of songs.

I liked A Thousand Suns. The Catalyst was so fucking good.

This feels pertinent to the thread.

10e.jpg

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I'm just patently waiting for all of popGAF to temporarily evolve into hipsters and crawl their out of the toilet they normally wallow in and deficate their way into this thread to say yes before returning to their argument about how has the more attractive forehead between Rihanna and Lady Gaga.

jmood88

I never listened to very much Linkin Park but from what I did listen to I never understood the bad wrap they got. Also, Fort Minor was great.

Closer Two

I think the main reason for the hatred is that Linkin Park reminds people of their
past selves

Not me though, I was never a fan but I have to say that Breaking the Habit has a fantastic music video and I can just about stomach the music.

Thost first two albums were actually, legitimately good. Can't even begin to say the same thing about everything else though.

This. I was in my early 20s when these albums dropped and I loved them. Everything else though really just sucked in my opinion.

They made good music, never understood the hate.

Not my favorite musicians, not even close. But those two albums were far far from terrible.

spekkeh

Banned
In the end it doesn't ev it's just supply and demand. Can't fault Linkin Park for jumping into a market. The demand is what truly warrants derision.

Yes I'm talking about yall.

I gots something to say them there folks on the stand Jerry Springer, hand me the mic.

YALL NASTAAAY

NASTAAAAAY

*drops mic

Somebody explain Linkin Park AMVs though.

They cannot be explained, they just happened.

EVERYWHERE.

Everything was Linking Park, as far as the eye could see. It was even prevalent in non anime vidding. It was weird.

I almost made a vid with Breaking the Habit to Faith from Buffy before I decided it was a bad idea.

somebody explain AMVs

I really need to make that thread.

https://youtu.be/MKECcXnmhRc

First result, I don't know if it's the one I remember fondly from when I was a teen, but there ya go.

Jito

Banned
Their first few albums and Reanimation were quality, dunno why they tried to go all mainstream and failed at it. That one song for Transformers sucked ass.

Anyone ever looked into why they have had soooo many damn AMVs based on their songs?

Hell, I'm not even sure if it's more than a handfull of their songs or what but it's everywhere :/

Anastasia

They have a few songs I really like. I wouldn't call them a great band or anything, but they're far from the worst band out there.

Anyone ever looked into why they have had soooo many damn AMVs based on their songs?

Hell, I'm not even sure if it's more than a handfull of their songs or what but it's everywhere :/

I think it's because the beats are solid, and you can pack emotion into the video.

Something vidders look for, since 'emotional' songs at the time tended to be slower and had less beat to work with? My pet theory anyhow.

Nowadays no one cares about beat work. Sure lets vid an action show to some slow ass song, why the fuck not?

*grumbles from her old school corner*

Joe

I am not a Linkin Park fan. At all. (that's a lie, i liked them a bit in 2000. hybrid theory was pretty damn good. but that's the last i paid attention to them)

But this is a crazy thread. The hate they get on the internet is dwarfed by the success and love they get from their fans literally around the world.

Even when you try to examine something subjective like musical taste you could at least try not to focus on it from a negative perspective. A better question would be "does Linkin Park deserve all the success they have?"

I think asking that question you might realize that they didn't murder or steal so "who am I to questions one's success?"

Garlador

Behold, the official Linkin Park Gundam!

linkinParkGP01fb.jpg

I still listen to Hybrid Theory, Reanimation, and Meteora quite a bit. Iffy on the newer stuff though...

Fou-Lu

AMVs can actually be really cool. Some modern ones have amazing editing. I don't know any Linkin Park ones with good editing though to be fair.

Shokifer

AMVs can actually be really cool. Some modern ones have amazing editting. I don't know any Linkin Park ones with good editting though to be fair.

It's even better when people do AMVs for books that haven't been adapted, and they show everyone their mspaint drawings.

AMVs can actually be really cool. Some modern ones have amazing editting. I don't know any Linkin Park ones with good editting though to be fair.

I completely agree, but to be fair when Linkin Park was popular with vidders we all had incredibly shit source to work with and Premiere was only on 6.0 lol

And I say that as a live action vidder, never made an AMV in my life. (Not an anime fan, but I still know good work when I see it, editing is harder than it seems)

Their first few albums and Reanimation were quality, dunno why they tried to go all mainstream and failed at it. That one song for Transformers sucked ass.

I mean, I've been listening to them since Hybrid Theory and I loved it, but my older brother's comment about them at the time was that it sounded "very overproduced, like it's too packaged and commercialized" and when I went back and listened again, I could see what he was talking about. The timing, the mixing, everything was a little too perfect to see it as anything more than overproduced angst for the masses.

I still totally love Hybrid Theory

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I put them into the same group as disturbed or drowning pool or papa roach

Music was actually shit but who cared it was "harder" music than what was on the radio and hit at just the right time for my generation

Still, I did buy some of their songs on Rock Band 3 a few years ago because they're fun

While I totally get why they would get hate one of the things that always got me was they were grouped so tightly with other "hard rock" acts.

Part of it was the time and they tried to be loud. Yet I always felt their sound lent itself more to a harder (or early days) Incubus especially with the DJ than any of the run of the mill hard rock acts. Never really thought their sound was like Godsmack or Slipknot.

In some ways they were like a late 90s/00s product of their time with the hip-hop influence like say RHCP or Faith No More if they had come into being during the angsty boy band backlash era.

funkypie

Banned
The first 3 albums they did were great and some of them songs with jay z were ok to. Everything after that was complete garbage.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I mean they aren't nickleback or anything. Lots of people actually legitimately liked them. Not sure who the haters are or maybe you're just referring to current Linkin Park?

Their first two albums were much better than whatever they put out more recently.

NotLiquid

Hybrid Theory was legitimately great and I still consider Reanimation to be one of the best remix albums that you can find.

Meteora is not as good but still a decent album.

I can give props to the band for trying to distance themselves from the stigma in Minutes to Midnight but the music was just poor.

A Thousand Suns is a very well produced concept album that I enjoy listening to.

Living Things is probably their most confident and solid album after Hybrid Theory.

The Hunting Party is probably their best album in terms of technical production and it's great to see them finally remember that the guitarist can actually play some decent stuff. It's not as good as Living Things but it's still enjoyable.

Overall they're a band with a mostly solid track record, caught in the trappings of a few hit singles that painted them as pretty whiny. Several tracks they've made I find really hard to deny their catchy melodies and tunes (Breaking the Habit is fucking great).

Nafai1123

Banned
First two albums were good. Fuck the haters.

Saw them at Summer Sanitarium and they were pretty good live. Definitely not the worst I've ever seen.

kabel

The hate is just random. Like all the shitstorms today.

I really really like Meteora and Hybrid Theory. A Thousand Suns is "ok".
The other albums are meh, but I wouldn't call them bad.

Parch

Just thought it was more the usual "I hate popular band" shenanigans that teens like to do.
That's what it mostly is. The internet provides a source to bandwagon hate and there are entire generations of sheep eager to jump on board and mock those who don't. It's cool to hate, so conform or be cast out.
Stop caring so much about what other people think of you and like what you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom