• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the end, did Linkin Park deserve all the hate they got? Does it even matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sort of listened to them back in the day but even then would never really call myself a fan (nor did I dislike them), but I dunno how much hate there is as I kind of put them out of sight and mind after Minutes to Midnight.

I enjoy Linkin Park

Hybrid Theory/Meteora are amazing i personally prefer Meteora

but i really really enjoy A Thousand Suns ...anybody else really dig that album?

To answer OP's question: no.

Actually no artist deserves the "hate". It's ridiculous how people hate and mock what they don't like because it "sucks". It's pretty much "my taste is superior than yours".

Pinkuss

I was a 'mosher' back in the Linkin Park days and never could stand them. They were teeny and angsty to me when I was 17.

Hear them now and then when battered in a club and have the odd dance due to being drunk but always feel so dirty.

Gimme some SOAD etc.. the good stuff.

BTM

Everybody says Hybrid Theory and Meteora are their only good albums. I would almost put A Thousand Suns above both of them. Such an under appreciated album.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
So in retrospect, did Linkin Park suck as the de-facto angst-ridden crap teenagers listen to while going through hormonal changes.
245063794_5ab866053b.jpg

People remember Linkin Park so they attract all the negative karma. Staind or Pappa Roach were blips.

Ristlager

I enjoy Linkin Park

Hybrid Theory/Meteora are amazing i personally prefer Meteora

but i really really enjoy A Thousand Suns ...anybody else really dig that album?

I am the weird guy who prefers MtM, ATS and LT to their first two albums. And ATS is the best of them, so I agree :) The Hunting Party was to much screeming for me.

I still love Hybrid Theory. It's kind of sad that listening to them is considered kind of taboo among numerous circles. People need to grow the fuck up.

Dragun619

I loved Hybrid Theory, Meteora, and Collusion Course, back when I was young like elementary school, but yea, looking back at it, I don't recall anyone hating it around my area at least.

Shit, everybody loved linkin park. They had rapping, singing, a dj spinning, and generally good melodies from the guitar playing. They had like the perfect mix between all of that.

Now, once in a while, When they do get mentioned, someone always goes and sarcastically saying crawling in my skin lines. Kinda funny, now that you look at the lyrics, Hah.

Some of there new stuff tho, is mostly eh, with at least a one or two standout tracks.

Lots of people rationalising nostalgia here. I think the point is not that they catered to 14 year old boys, since rock has always tapped into the teenager market (not anymore maybe). The problem is that their music had no staying power at all - you listened to them at 14 and at 18 they were already too lame. Yes they still have a sizeable following, but that's almost a given when you sell so much like they did.

smashing pumpkins demonstrated what you need to do to cover dumb lyrics--absurdly good musicianship and song ideas

so nah, linkin park sucked

MogCakes

I'M GONNA RUN AWAAAY

NEVER SAY GOODBYYEEE

They were great for those angsty teen years, but I can only kind of sort of relate to one or two of their songs now that I'm older.

OTOH, I've been listening to bands like Vertical Horizon since I was in elementary and still rock them. Alternative rock is just that good.

patapuf

I still like their early work.

Since english isn't my first language, the lyrics don't bother me. Heck i only knew what they meant years after i first heard the songs.

M52B28

Banned
Lots of people rationalising nostalgia here. I think the point is not that they catered to 14 year old boys, since rock has always tapped into the teenager market (not anymore maybe). The problem is that their music had no staying power at all - you listened to them at 14 and at 18 they were already too lame. Yes they still have a sizeable following, but that's almost a given when you sell so much like they did.
Exactly. When I was high-school, Link in Park became irrelevant and was mainly mocked. I liked their music for a short while.

I wish Shinoda stuck with the Fort Minor project. I'm still listening to Rising Tied today.

I never minded them while growing up, though I definitely preferred the beats and song production over the actual lyrical content. I really enjoyed their first two albums, Meteora especially.

I think my favorite track from them still is "Session" though I guess that's cheating a bit since it's an instrumental track.

Meteora was a pretty good album imo, angsty lyrics aside. Other than that I only ever hear their stuff on the radio occasionally, it's not anything I'd cycle into my normal listening, but its nothing horribly offensive like some people make it out to be, you could do a lot worse.

They got fucked by the depiction of their fans. The band itself is like any other hard rock act - there's a goofy Spinal Tap element to every band. But once their fans got labeled as crying emo babies it was all over.

lazygecko

That whole nu metal movement never really took off here. It was pretty jarring being online in the early 00's and interacting with lots of Americans who were sincerely into this stuff, lol.

Miletius

Their only crime in my eyes was the overly angst ridden lyrics designed to tap into the suburban loner. It's hard to look past that, but I don't mind them every once in a while. As an optimist, though, I can only stand a little bit of it before I move on elsewhere.

Meh, it's no more or less shitty than the catchy pop tunes on the radio I mindlessly sing and dance along to without irony. I'm not going to say it's breaking any new ground or that I even think their music is particularly "great," but when I evaluate pop music, I only take how catchy it is and how much I enjoy the singer's voice into account. In the case of Linkin Park, Hybrid Theory and Meteora both meet that criteria for me, so I can appreciate the melodies and how their particular sound melds with the singer's vocals. It makes for compelling tunes you can jump around to or play in the background. I would be a hypocrite if I were to criticize the lyrical content given a lot of the radio pop songs I give a free pass to.

Now, if I'm looking for punk or thrash metal for example, I evaluate artists quite differently.

RangerX

Banned
Yep they were completely fucking awful in my opinion. Plus I had to suffer through them before Metallica. They were practically bottled off stage which is completely unacceptable no matter how bad a band is.

Their only crime in my eyes was the overly angst ridden lyrics designed to tap into the suburban loner. It's hard to look past that, but I don't mind them every once in a while. As an optimist, though, I can only stand a little bit of it before I move on elsewhere.

That's the weird contradictory thing about Linkin Park - they did the "loner" thing but their music was catchy and mainstream. I mean, moms were into Linkin Park. It was safe angst music for the masses.

LionPride

Banned
Like almost any musician Linkin Park has a few songs that people enjoyed. Personally I'll still listen to their older stuff and Collision Course, tried listening to that most recent album...nah breh.

Knox

They aren't as bad as people give them credit for, but I think it reminds a lot of people about how dumb they were when they were a young teen. Their lyrics are cringey, but it's made even more cringey because you used to think it was cool.

FStop7

Banned
I liked the Reanimation album because it was mostly instrumental remixes. Less of Cheser's angsty screaming and Mike Shinoda's monotone rapping.

Miletius

That's the weird contradictory thing about Linkin Park - they did the "loner" thing but their music was catchy and mainstream. I mean, moms were into Linkin Park. It was safe angst music for the masses.

I guess that's true. It was safe and catchy, but also very angst ridden music. They had a lot of camp to them too. I mean, they knew they were performers, they were very self aware.

I personally didn't know any parents who were into it, but I could imagine it.

There is definitely angst in the lyrics but I wouldn't necessarily just dismiss it as "bullshit" teenage angst. They have a lot of songs that just sound great and are really catchy.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
When did people hate Linkin Park?? Was this during the 2000's? During the 2010's when I was in high school, people loved Linkin' Park. I am a pretty big fan, because each album is pretty different except for their first two so it's not like Rise Against, Breaking Benjamin or Three Days Grace where a lot of their songs sound very similar.

When did people hate Linkin Park?? Was this during the 2000's? During the 2010's when I was in high school, people loved Linkin' Park. I am a pretty big fan, because each album is pretty different except for their first two so it's not like Rise Against, Breaking Benjamin or Three Days Grace where a lot of their songs sound very similar.

this post is so confusing.

diamount

Banned
They introduced millions of people into that genre of music which probably made them explore certain niches of that genre, so no - I do not.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didnt know they got hate heh

loved the first 2 albums, but im hugely ecletic with music /shrug

I freaking loved Linkin Park. Till this day I still remember being on DALnet on IRC in a rock channel and the album popped up and grabbed it. Was immediately hooked. It was just fun music to rock out to, nothing serious. Went to a couple of their concerts met some good people and just had an absolute blast.

Never really understood the hate they got, other than being "popular" and hating on the popular bands. It was just fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom