• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.75 coming soony (3D Blu-ray support) #4theplayers

ViciousDS

Banned
Hope XB1 adds DLNA and media playback so Sony can get going.

hahaha, I was just thinking this......please microsoft add good DLNA in the next monthly update so Sony can announce it a day later.

Honestly, this proves that the firmware guys are able to work fast.....what the hell have they been doing!

Vashetti

Banned
To all the haters, rather than seeing this as a pointless feature -- see it as a major feature for some, that has been crossed off of Sony's list. Which makes it much more likely that they get to your most-wanted feature sooner.

Handy Fake

To all the haters, rather than seeing this as a pointless feature -- see it as a major feature for some, that has been crossed off of Sony's list. Which makes it much more likely that they get to your most-wanted feature sooner.

Like getting a green one in a packet of Rowntree Fruit Gums.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
To be fair, I'd say developing and testing a new piece of software probably took more effort than adhering to the existing standards of a feature they included in the system.

The PS3 had a video editor and the X1 has as well. It would be a shame if the PS4 didn't.

Krakn3Dfx

#4the3dblueraybutstillnotquitesuspendresumeordlnaormp3players

oh-boy.gif

Downhome

Wow. I didn't even know there was that many 3D discs in existence.

There are hundreds of them, way more than what I have.

My favorites are the old school flicks. House of Wax, Dial M For Murder, Creature, things like that. It's just incredible seeing those old 3D flicks in quality never seen before. They are releasing The Bubble on 3D Blu-ray soon, I can't wait for that.

spwolf

You can on Xbox one. I actually stream things directly from my NAS to my Xbox One.

It doesn't have a browser though, so I browse my NAS using a generic DLNA app for iPhone and then the Xbox plays it.

you have to push content to it via PlayTo which is really annoying... it is not full DLNA client that can read DLNA servers, like PS3 can for instance. It is also very limited in codec support and no subtitles either (you cant transcode ones that dont natively work on Xbox one, which you could if it supported DLNA servers properly).

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Do people really think they withheld a feature and then threw it in because the competition had it?

If that's the case they should have withheld the ability to delete games or to know when the controller battery is dead

hahaha, I was just thinking this......please microsoft add good DLNA in the next monthly update so Sony can announce it a day later.

Honestly, this proves that the firmware guys are able to work fast.....what the hell have they been doing!

In all seriousness, I suspect the sudden push isn't due to Microsoft, it's due to the explosion of popularity of Frozen in Japan, related to their deal to release themed PS4s and such. After all, having a Frozen-themed PS4 that can't actually play the 3D version of Frozen (even if it is a small market) is pretty embarrassing to them.

shem935

Banned
In all seriousness, I suspect the sudden push isn't due to Microsoft, it's due to the explosion of popularity of Frozen in Japan, related to their deal to release themed PS4s and such. After all, having a Frozen-themed PS4 that can't actually play the 3D version of Frozen (even if it is a small market) is pretty embarrassing to them.

This....actually makes a lot of sense.

spwolf

considering my 80gb fat PS3 randomly decides it does not like to play some blu-rays without shitting itself (never had a problem with games, only movies) this means I can finally watch that copy of Jurassic Park 3D I bought last year.

well, considering how many revisions PS3 blu-ray player got, especially with 3D playback, I would be surprised if everything worked great right away... probably will need few... stability updates!

VanWinkle

They've probably been working on a big update with a lot of features, like April's. However, when MS announced 3D Blu-Ray support, Sony probably figured that they might as well get that one out instead of putting it in the big update when it's ready.

Do people really think they withheld a feature and then threw it in because the competition announced it?

no. but it was probably going to be part of the next big firmware roll-out. sony themselves have said numerous times that they will work on these features individually in teams and then integrate them into larger firmware upgrades to avoid having new firmware coming out constantly like what happened with the ps3. it's certainly possible that this was supposed to be in a future, larger update...and sony pushed it in quicker because MS announced they were doing it

Raymo

I just... why? I mean, it needs to be added, but an update just for that feature alone? Right after they just released an update?

I mean, it's good news. There was always going to be feature parity at some point (not there yet of course). But I mean, they had to know that this would look like a reactionary move right?

Sony really baffles me with their firmware updates. Nintendo and Microsoft seem to be much better about actually doing things with their updates and not seemingly "reacting" to someone elses update. Feels odd saying that givne that you would have thought last year before PS4 came out that it would be #1 for adding new features to the firmware in a timely manner.

I'll try to convince myself that they are saving a bunch of features for v2.0 and they are releasing 3d support early to compete with Microsoft. I need hope for more features dammit!

No. It has to be some bullshit involving console wars!

icespide

Banned

actually a really good point

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Also, the DLNA and HTML 5 bits that Jeff Rigby was talking about in another thread make it sound like PS4 will increase in functionality so it's ready for the new spec compliance requirements.

I wanted to make a joke about PS4 not being stable enough to handle it but I'm just kind of sad about the whole thing so whatever

DayEnder

That logic has no place here, you should be outraged for no reason. /s

In all seriousness, I don't even have a 3D TV/monitor and have no plans to jump on board with 3D since it gives me a headache. I can't even play my 3DS with 3D mode on.

LAWL!

Well played Sony.... Well played.

Edit: It does not come with the 3D version, but has a bundle option on Sony Japan. Probably just an attachment.

s3ltzer

Banned
I'm glad for this 3D support, but damn Sony, this seems suspicious as hell only because MS got it first just today.

Next update I'll be another stability update, until XBO adds DLNA.

Prove me wrong Sony!

EvB

you have to push content to it via PlayTo which is really annoying... it is not full DLNA client that can read DLNA servers, like PS3 can for instance. It is also very limited in codec support and no subtitles either (you cant transcode ones that dont natively work on Xbox one, which you could if it supported DLNA servers properly).

About off topic here, but last time I checked , DLNA didn't have any specifications that required the inclusion of SRT/SUB subtitles. Has that changed?

Tigress

Well, I guess I'm in the minority judging by the first replies, but at least that's one thing on my list I wanted to see added (finally).

Now if they can get the friend takes over your game and suspend when turn off. I think there was something else I wanted to but I guess now it's been so long I forgot.

Wait, I've figured out Sony's Plot! Take so long we forget so they don't have to do it!

Top Bottom