• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.75 coming soony (3D Blu-ray support) #4theplayers

Tigress

True. People complained there wasn't 3D Blu-Ray support, and now Sony is adding it and they're complaining it's being added. :/

You're assuming the same people complaining now are the same complaining then. You'll note a post or so before this one I actually said I was happy to see it.

I'm one of the ones who was complaining about it not having 3-D support (That was one of my big issues and I'll have to say I don't think I was in the majority as it didn't seem many people seemed as annoyed by it).

Hey, I know the PS4 is still relatively new and hasn't seen a ton of updates yet (I actually have no idea how many of them there has been), but have they all be painless to install? I remember with the PS3 it kind of got to the point where people here would wait for a few brave souls test it out first before downloading.

spwolf

no. but it was probably going to be part of the next big firmware roll-out. sony themselves have said numerous times that they will work on these features individually in teams and then integrate them into larger firmware upgrades to avoid having new firmware coming out constantly like what happened with the ps3. it's certainly possible that this was supposed to be in a future, larger update...and sony pushed it in quicker because MS announced they were doing it

i doubt that they are "saving" the features... when feature gets developed, tested and ready to go, it will likely be built into next update. That's how it worked so far.

Considering that they both had blu-ray playback from the start, this has been on their list for a long time now.

In any case, it is annoying how some people make a big deal about non-gaming features... while they are cool in general, I think majority of people bought PS4 for gaming and features like patching and game pre-loading are far more important IMHO (and every future feature related to gaming).

Linconan

This is how fans behave in general:

3f600a5802f15078d248f7b42f98364e63a40749924104d3b6e9952f07c4d6b3.jpg
Lol, this is so True
*hangs head in shame*

but i'm mostly like Oliver Twist asking "please sir, can i have some more."
I've always used my manner before the storm. lol

i doubt that they are "saving" the features... when feature gets developed, tested and ready to go, it will likely be built into next update. That's how it worked so far.

Considering that they both had blu-ray playback from the start, this has been on their list for a long time now.

In any case, it is annoying how some people make a big deal about non-gaming features... while they are cool in general, I think majority of people bought PS4 for gaming and features like patching and game pre-loading are far more important IMHO (and every future feature related to gaming).
Eh it's the new console war battlefield. I think in general there's things i want but they're not console breaking or items that drive sales. It is just one area MS is clearly one upping Sony on and being quite open and vocal about their FW plans. Meanwhile Sony drops them out of nowhere Nintendo direct style

spwolf

*sigh* I'll get the aloe-vera.

On a more serious note, the PS4 is now among the most feature-rich Bluray players on the market, right? It sure loads faster than the standalone players I've seen.

We will see once it has been released... so far Eurogamer did the test between the two and found PS4 to be better, Xbox one had some serious issues:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-vs-xbox-one-which-is-the-better-media-player

So just because feature is "checked" it does not mean it works great. Overall so far PS3 had superior playback, then PS4 and then XB1.

Of course, PS3's own playback of blu-ray and DVD discs has been updated for years in order to get it to this point.

DWinn7

This is good. Finally opened their mouths to directly mention a feature of a future update. Especially after we've been giving them a hard time for their secrecy. Lol

ShutterMunster

3D Bluray support is a headlining feature for a system that still doesn't have Suspend/Resume functionality and a broken share system? Absolute insanity.

Great for the 10 people out there with 3DTVs.

Get it together Sony.

We will see once it has been released... so far Eurogamer did the test between the two and found PS4 to be better, Xbox one had some serious issues:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-vs-xbox-one-which-is-the-better-media-player

So just because feature is "checked" it does not mean it works great. Overall so far PS3 had superior playback, then PS4 and then XB1.

Of course, PS3's own playback of blu-ray and DVD discs has been updated for years in order to get it to this point.

There have been a lot of fixes since then. Avatar didn't crash when we watched it last week for one. 5.1 sound has been fixed. There are still issues with the Xbox One surround sound. I think all of these updates were just part of the "stability updates". Sounds still can lag in 24hz and 60hz still causes motion judder on the Xbox One, where that is not a problem on my PS4. Other than that, they are pretty much the same.

I still think this update is more to do with the upcoming Frozen PS4 Edition than the Xbox One. Sony is giving the option to bundle it with the 3D version. The Frozen Edition does not come with a copy.

stufte

3D Bluray support is a headlining feature for a system that still doesn't have Suspend/Resume functionality and a broken share system? Absolute insanity.

Get it together Sony.

"I don't need it so it's not important."

I knew as soon as MS announced support that Sony would quickly follow.

I can play my 3d movies again!

FleetFeet

In all seriousness, I suspect the sudden push isn't due to Microsoft, it's due to the explosion of popularity of Frozen in Japan, related to their deal to release themed PS4s and such. After all, having a Frozen-themed PS4 that can't actually play the 3D version of Frozen (even if it is a small market) is pretty embarrassing to them.

I can't find any flaws with this logic.

jaypah

did anyone have problems with their profile picture after the last update? I just have mine setup to use whatever my facebook pic is but after I updated my pic just shows up as a black box of with one of those uh... circles with the line through it haha

Happens to my wife's profile but not mine. Weird. Also, fuck yes for 3D! Thank you Sony I was hella jelly of my XO brethren but no more!

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781

Get it together Sony.
The suspend/resume is also broken on the X1.

Y0j1mb0

Get it together Sony.

I'm one of those ten and while I agree with everything else that needs to come down the pike for the PS4, I'm not going complain when one more feature gets added.

Get it together Sony.

You trying to deny me Tron Legacy and Dredd in 3D, mofucka

Get it together Sony.

Why so serious? Why so angry? Some of us have eagerly been awaiting this feature. Can't wait to watch 3D movies in my room again

Wouldn't be surprised if they had this working for a while but were waiting for a large update to include it in. Microsoft's announcement obviously made them put it out by itself instead.

"Xbox One does it now, better do it. Also its for the players...get it? The people that PLAY blurays." #TVTVTV

But for real. Sony seems to get complacent when they are doing well and don't really do much until they have to or if there is enough uproar.

f@luS

More than a member.

Get it together Sony.
It is for me. The only reason i was putting Back my PS3 sometimes. Just Bought pompei ans 300/2 3D bluray. Luve them

Charcoal

Get it together Sony.
You actually took the effort to think this and write it down.

lol

I think people are complaining about the fact that software updates were released just a day or two apart, when they could've been released together as a single update.

I don't think people are complaining about getting more features.

Did they actually say when "soon" was?
Or is this a PR reaction to the competition?

Gestault

They have different spec sheets.

You suggested it reason for the delay was a licensing consideration. Obviously it has a different spec sheet; it functions differently. That's different from separate licensing. If you have reason to think otherwise, I'd appreciate being able to see it.

Slixshot

Banned
I gotta ask why so many people like 3D blu rays. The only 2 3d movies I've ever loved the 3d in we're dredd and avatar..

Top Bottom