• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAMADAN 2013 thread of 18 hour fasts | Eid Mubarak!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

La hawl wa la quwata ela bilallah.
My mother told me one of our distant relatives passed away, so she'll be going to Bahrain on Friday with my dad for the funeral/to be with the relatives there.
As I understand it, he was very old, and passed away peacefully.

We were watching the 'Khatem Al Quran' on Saudi Arabia channel, which was very beautiful and I prayed for him during it.
These Duaa are always moving, I'll try to find a Youtube video of it once it's up.

Houston, we have a problems

BBC:Ramadan fasting dilemma when sun never sets

-------------------------------------------------

atmospheric-refraction-at-sunrise-sunset.jpeg

Atmospheric Refraction at Sunrise and Sunset

We have observed that the sun is visible at the horizon about 2 minutes before the actual sunrise, and about 2 minutes after the actual sunset. This is also because of atmospheric refraction. In this section we will learn more about refraction.

Muslim gaf: how does ramadan work for people north of the arctic circle work during the summer months when the sun is always up? I was always curious about this. Are they exempt?

It is usually the nearest large populated city that has sufficient time for tarawih to be prayed.. something like that iirc.

Kisaya

I'm most likely going to have to work during Eid.

Oh well. Really hasn't been a festive holiday for me since I was a kid.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Oy' Desi/Muslim-GAF, Hungry?

Pictures of food me and my moms made

2 Trays:
GDYwB3L.jpg

Top Tray, Spicy Potatoes (same mix as chicken)
OKY1NcZ.jpg

Bottom Tray, Chicken:
PMczTzO.jpg

Masoor Daal:
VFELtCU.jpg

RFb46Jf.jpg

Basmati Rice (Zebra is the best brand, pricey as fuck, but it's the best):
Z24EoH6.jpg

There we go!

=D

Kisaya

Ack that sucks to hear, have you tried to apply for a 1-day leave?

I'm already taking a week's off vacation this month, which my manager was nice enough to give me since I'm not really supposed to take off during this time of the year.

It's fine really, my family will just be a little annoyed. Like I said, it hasn't really been as festive for us since I was younger. I'd probably just stay at home all day if I took off :(

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Apparently we're not sure over here too XD.
I still think it'll be Thrusday though.

If it's Thursday, most will just push family gatherings till the weekend here in NYC, most do

Read the Eid Prayer in Flushing Meadows Park (used to get huge gatherings, but it's faltered off for a few years due to other Masjids opening in other communities), go to work, wait till Saturday for the festivities and family gatherings

Usual Moon-Fighting. The Mufti of Australia pulled a swifty and suddenly changed to calculation, informing everyone with an announcement this evening. Chaos ensued.

No moon sighted tonight anywhere in Australia, so Eid is Friday for me :D

Usual Moon-Fighting. The Mufti of Australia pulled a swifty and suddenly changed to calculation, informing everyone with an announcement this evening. Chaos ensued.

moon sighting fights are the best fights. lol

Nothing gets on my nerves more than moonfights ughh. Why does this p roblem plague only the west including Australia? I never even heard of these problems in India, Pakistan, Malaysia, etc

Zapages

Nothing gets on my nerves more than moonfights ughh. Why does this p roblem plague only the west including Australia? I never even heard of these problems in India, Pakistan, Malaysia, etc

That's because they always celebrate Eid a day after everyone else. Hence they are are no problems because everyone already celebrating Eid. :p

All joking aside, Moon sighting fights are very sad.

liger05

If Eid is on Friday whats the deal with those that started to fast a day early. There 30 days would be up today. Do they fast tomorrow as well?

Ashes

Banned
La hawl wa la quwata ela bilallah.
My mother told me one of our distant relatives passed away, so she'll be going to Bahrain on Friday with my dad for the funeral/to be with the relatives there.
As I understand it, he was very old, and passed away peacefully.

We were watching the 'Khatem Al Quran' on Saudi Arabia channel, which was very beautiful and I prayed for him during it.
These Duaa are always moving, I'll try to find a Youtube video of it once it's up.

r.i.p.

Eid is Thursday confirmed for London.

Azih

The only year there was no moon fight was the year where Eid could have fallen either on the 10th or 11th of September.

It was glorious in a very very sad way. Everybody just tacitly agreed that Eid was on the 10th. Nobody even SAID anything. It was like the whole Muslim community of North America had a silent mind-meld and everyone celebrated Eid together.

MJLord

Moon sighting fight!!!

We've been told no moon sighting the UK, so Friday Eid. Next door neighbours are following Saudi Arabias announcement though.

As someone who knows very little about ramadan. I'd have thought there would be a more modern way of calculating the date for eid? What am I missing?

F#A#Oo

Banned
Moon sighting fight!!!

We've been told no moon sighting the UK, so Friday Eid. Next door neighbours are following Saudi Arabias announcement though.

The UK generally follows Saudi...most of the major Islamic centres and mosques have called it for tomorrow.

Ashes

Banned
As someone who knows very little about ramadan. I'd have thought there would be a more modern way of calculating the date for eid? What am I missing?

There are a couple of schools of thought on the matter. Some say calculations are legitimate. Others say, the moon must be sighted by the naked eye. The big mosques that have links to mecca, e.g. East London Mosque, I believe they follow Mecca as well.

MJLord

There are a couple of schools of thought on the matter. Some say calculations are legitimate. Others say, the moon must be sighted by the naked eye. The big mosques that have links to mecca, e.g. East London Mosque, I believe they follow Mecca as well.

Ahh okay. I just wondered if there was anything in writing about it. My dad works in Dubai so we were talking about it earlier.

AJ_Wings

Just stumbled upon this thread. 0_o

Eid Mubarak Everybody. It's 3:20 AM here in Dubai. just can't seem to get some sleep and I have an entire day worth of family visitations for the first day of Eid. Well... guess I'll watch Dota 2 matches until Fajr. :p

Happy Eid from Obama!
Michelle and I send our warmest greetings to Muslims celebrating Eid al-Fitr here in the United States and around the world. During the past month, Muslims have honored their faith through prayer and service, fasting and time spent with loved ones. At this year’s White House Iftar, I was proud to spend time with some of the many American Muslims whose contributions enrich our democracy and strengthen our economy. Many of us have had the opportunity to break fast with our Muslim friends and colleagues—a tradition that reminds us to be grateful for our blessings and to show compassion to the less fortunate among us, including millions of Syrians who spent Ramadan displaced from their homes, their families, and their loved ones. To help the many Syrians in need this Eid al-Fitr, the United States is providing an additional $195 million in food aid and other humanitarian aid, bringing our humanitarian contribution to the Syrian people to over $1 billion since the crisis began. For millions of Americans, Eid is part of a great tapestry of America’s many traditions, and I wish all Muslims a blessed and joyful celebration. Eid Mubarak.

Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/cityofbra...he-occasion-of-eid-al-fitr.html#ixzz2bKY5aObj

effzee

Eid Mubarak everyone! Here is NA following ISNA who use calculations so Eid was going to be tomorrow no matter what for us but now it seems majority of NA might also do tomorrow.

Hope so.

RiZ III

Final fast about to open in 26 mins here. I must say, mashaallah this Ramadan went very well for me on a spiritual level. Memorized some surahs, got back to establishing fajr prayer, and my mind feels so much more free from unwanted thoughts.

Anyone else get the post Ramadan blues? I always feel a bit lonely afterwards.

Oh and Eid Mubarak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom