• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAMADAN 2013 thread of 18 hour fasts | Eid Mubarak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an employee of mine that works 10 hour days out in the sun in 95+ degree weather while fasting, I have mad respect for him. He chugs that gatorade at sundown like a boss.

Come one, come all, Iftar is ready

COL3uDU.jpg

tVbXldT.jpg

19345.jpg

2241524.jpg

iftar-qwerty28345245_2013715211513.jpg

1373606279-indian-muslims-take-iftar-on-the-first-day-of-ramadan-in-kolkata_2246429.jpg

is-th1e-lk-iftar-2013-66.jpg

raphanum

Amazingly a lot of people gain weight during the month

Cause most go off their regular diets/eating habits

Your body conditions to your eating times, if your eating time for a month get switched before sunrise and only after sunset, yeah it might take awhile to come off it

Also a lot over eat right before they start the fasting to keep them satiated during the day and the hunger that arises right before breaking the fast, so they double down and eat more at night also

You would have to be a strict eater and watch what you eat religiously if you want to watch your figure
This all depends on what you choose to eat. A lot of families eat more and unhealthier food than they would normally because almost every day turns into a sort of feast. People eat a lot of unhealthy food when they break their fast, eat food before/after they go for taraweeh (night prayers), and then load up before they begin their fast.

All of this is contrary to the sunnah. The Prophet PBUH would break his fast with just dates and water. He would also never eat gluttonously as we do today.

It can help you lose weight if you still eat clean. A lot of people eat fried fatty foods though and binge so they can end up gaining weight.

I know I've continued working out and have lost at least .5-1 lb so far. Not really good for me since I am skinny, but I'm hoping it's mainly fat.

Today I monstrously binged on two gyros, and a large ass samosa. Feels good man.

As long as you keep the calorie level in a day below what you want to to achieve weight loss, yeah you can lose weight easily. A ton of people go over what they usually eat in a day at night tho and end up gaining weight. Three meals in those few hours can easily go up to 2000-2500 calories

Thanks, for the replies. Very insightful.

Ruz Bukhari is the king of rice recipes. It originates from Afghanistan and is simply the greatest rice dish ever (after biryani). Go to your nearest Afghan place and order it!

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, check this out

Robbers break into a family's home, beat up the family and force theem to prepare suhoor
Islamabad: Robbers stormed a home in the Pakistani capital, beat up the family and made off with valuables worth Rs 3 million after forcing the women of the house to prepare 'sehri' or the pre-dawn meal in the month of Ramzan.

Yasir Sheikh said his home was robbed by seven masked men who forced their way in while he and his wife were attending an 'iftar' party on Saturday.

The robbers spent six hours in Sheikh's house, looking for 80 tolas of gold that they believed was in the residence. The Pashto-speaking robbers placed Sheikh's mother’s hand on the floor and hit it with a hammer. They beat his sister, wife and father.

While they were looking for the gold, the robbers realised it was time for 'sehri', the pre-dawn meal eaten by Muslims before a day of fasting. ?Meanwhile, the time for sehri started, so they untied my mother and wife and instructed them to prepare food...They also untied other family members to ensure that we had sehri with the robbers,? Sheikh was quoted as saying by the Dawn newspaper.

While eating, the robbers even removed their masks and Sheikh and his family were able to see their faces. He said two of them were in their mid-30s, one was a teenager and the others were in their mid-20s.

The robbers made off with gold biscuits and jewellery worth Rs 1.8 million, prize bonds of Rs 965,000, Rs 200,000 in cash, a television and other electronic items.
Wow. how do these animals' minds function? Burglarizing and beating up innocent family? Stealing millions of rupees? And then still fast? I will never understand.

In other news, half of Ramadan is over. I hope all your fasts are going well.

cdkee

Banned

Ydahs

I was a bit disappointed to see myself gain a kilo or two, so I did an Insanity workout after breaking my fast yesterday.

I actually felt a lot better than the usual days, because instead of eating one large meal I ate a little before and a little after the workout. Might try to do a workout every 2-3 days for the remainder of Ramadan to keep the weight in check.

I was a bit disappointed to see myself gain a kilo or two, so I did an Insanity workout after breaking my fast yesterday.

I actually felt a lot better than the usual days, because instead of eating one large meal I ate a little before and a little after the workout. Might try to do a workout every 2-3 days for the remainder of Ramadan to keep the weight in check.

Were you eating a lot during iftaar? That usually happens because most of our iftaar stuff is bad calories.

Ydahs

Were you eating a lot during iftaar? That usually happens because most of our iftaar stuff is bad calories.
I've been skipping iftaar considering we only fast to 5:30pm in Australia. I think the major problem are the sweets we've been shoving down our throats each day :p

liger05

I've lost like 8 lbs. I'm not really eating that much and cycle like 25 miles a day to and from work. I really dont need to lose this weight!!

Kenka

Ruz Bukhari is the king of rice recipes. It originates from Afghanistan and is simply the greatest rice dish ever (after biryani). Go to your nearest Afghan place and order it!

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, check this out
I can't hold the awesomeness.

But Bukhari is the demonym for what originates from Bukhara, a (admittedly persian-speaking) town in Uzbekistan, not Afghanistan.

Uzbeki plov > Bukhari btw.

I've lost like 8 lbs. I'm not really eating that much and cycle like 25 miles a day to and from work. I really dont need to lose this weight!!
The weight you lost was most probably fat. If you practice some sports before the first meal of the day, your body will likely burn your reserves first. So it's all healthy, my sexy bro. Well, I would understand your concern if you have no fat to begin with, though.

PFD

I've never worked out during fasting. I may this year. Do any of you work out during the month? If so, what's the schedule like?

I've tried it a couple times, and it suuuucks. Sadly my gym closes at 10PM, so I can't go after Iftar either :(

liger05

I've tried it a couple times, and it suuuucks. Sadly my gym closes at 10PM, so I can't go after Iftar either :(

Yeah I went gym on Monday to see what it would be like and it wasnt the most pleasant experience. I didnt do any cardio but still after like 15 mins I was desperate for water.

OS hey! I thought we all lost you. How's your Ramadan going? Thanks for not leaving neogaf :)

Sup? :D

I never leave, I just take extended breaks. Was OS for about 6 weeks too. It goes well alhamduliLlah, though it has been less productive than I would like, was at high altitude and travelling so I have a lot of make up to do. Also in Tajikistan it seemed like no one fasts, because we were in a region that was all Aga Khan Ismaili. Could hear the people praying Tarawih in Afghanistan and was jealous.

How about you? :D

I never leave, I just take extended breaks. Was OS for about 6 weeks too. It goes well alhamduliLlah, though it has been less productive than I would like, was at high altitude and travelling so I have a lot of make up to do. Also in Tajikistan it seemed like no one fasts, because we were in a region that was all Aga Khan Ismaili. Could hear the people praying Tarawih in Afghanistan and was jealous.

My Ramadan is going good Alhamdulillah. It's funny because before Ramadan I was dreading the long hours, but there really is nothing too hard about it. Also in this thread we got people who have it much harder than me and it's amazing to see everyone keeping fasts.

Yeah Ismailis are weird bunch they take pretty much every aspect of worship as "metaphoric" in meaning.

Hey OS can you explain something to me, what is it with Aga Khan Ismili? Do they fast ? What's are their conditions, I heard they just can't have anything with dough in it?

Here in Aus the hours are really short lol. About twelve and iftar is really early. 5 o'clock!

I honestly don't know what the deal with the Aga Khan people, other than a bunch of broke Tajiks pay a large percentage of their income to a king type dude who then spends it on divorce settlements and swanning around Europe.

just wanted to say this for a while. never eat to much when breaking fast. just date and few drink then take a break. perform Maghreb salat then eat again. it has been always helpful for me. I believe there is a reason Maghreb is right away after the fasting time ends.

just wanted to say this for a while. never eat to much when breaking fast. just date and few drink then take a break. perform Maghreb salat then eat again. it has been always helpful for me. I believe there is a reason Maghreb is right away after the fasting time ends.
Sadly back home if you dont have a massive iftar everyday you're considered crazy.

vareon

I'm always confused with the tradition to eat full meal when breaking. I usually eat or drink something sweet, and that's enough to hold me until an hour or so. But tradition always led me to have a full meal right after that and prayer, which makes for a very sleepy tarawih.

Hey OS can you explain something to me, what is it with Aga Khan Ismili? Do they fast ? What's are their conditions, I heard they just can't have anything with dough in it?

Aga Khanis are one of the branches of Ismailism who were a splinter group of the Shi'a. Their group is infamous historically for trying to assassinate the khalifas, including Salahuddeen al-Ayoubi RH as well as for ingesting hasheesh.

This particular branch of Isma'ilis believe in the Agha Khan to be a continuation of the imams. He is a Pope-like figure, without the celibacy and apparent piety.

The Agha Khanis do not believe the laws of the Qur'an or the Sunnah to be applicable today and instead, look to the words of their Agha Khan as equivalent to divine will.

Other differences include three "prayers" a day that only involves making du'aa (no actual salah takes place), potluck dinners at their jamaat khanas, lack of segregation, lack of hijab for women, lack of concern regarding halal or haram food, interest, etc.

This group is really prominent in Canada. They are building a multimillion dollar "Islamic museum" in Toronto. This is a good thing, because at least that can act as a stepping stone for many who are curious towards Islam.

As for their status in Islam:
http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?HD=12&ID=552&CATE=10

I just wanted to share that I lost close to 10 lbs since the beginning of Ramadan.

I dont have more than 2 small samosas every other day, a small bowl of cantaloupe/watermelon/peach daily, and also dahi vada every 3 or so days. This is followed by my normal dinner, which is actually reduced in portion size because you still have some of that iftar left in you. My suhoor though completely changed from a nice meal and a mango lassi (actually just mango pulp+milk that I make myself) to just mango lassi.

Not counting the iftar parties on weekends though, but it became my habit now just to not overindulge in iftar.

liger05

Last couple of days I've really started to feel it. I'm not eating any less @ Suhoor but by lunchtime I'm starting to feel really hungry.

Didnt help today when a brother I work with comes back to work with KFC and its right under my nose.

This ramadan feels like a right off :( I've been sick and traveling to high altitudes so I have barely fasted at all. Argh.

Still, looking forward to Eid. Haleem is the best! Everyone sorting out their Zakat al-Fitr, last year I almost forgot.

Quick question: Am I the only one gaining weight while Ramadan although I'm fasting 19 to now 18 hours a day?

Gained about 4-5 kg (that's 8-10 pounds).

Codeblue

DerZuhälter;74793931 said:
Quick question: Am I the only one gaining weight while Ramadan although I'm fasting 19 to now 18 hours a day?

Gained about 4-5 kg (that's 8-10 pounds).

I've gained about five pounds. I attribute that more to eating more frequently around Arab relatives that insist that I haven't eaten enough though.

Can't believe how close Eid is, when is it expected to be for you guys?
Wow cant believe we're discussing Eid already. It's been a crazy ride you guys. But we pulled it off!!!!! Congratulations to all and may Allah accept all your fasts.

The TeamCalculation already declared Eid on wednesday evening, with prayers on Thursday. It's either Thursday or Friday for us.

Very Happy Eid is among us shortly hopefully you've all had great fasts this Ramadan. The past few days have been kinda rough for me HUGE hunger pains but I feel better not that I'm not at home.

PFD

Can the Arab speaking brothers give a brief translation to this video.

Seem like A Brother was forcibly evicted from masjid for doing itekaf in Morroco. The mind boggles, it really does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGUQkFkqCbA

Only watched a couple mins, but yeah pretty much like you said. He says he got kicked out the day before while doing itekaf, so he came back today and chained himself to the mosque and did itekaf. The authorities cut the chains and evicted him again. Then he started talking about politics and corruption and the need to change the government.

Tizoc

Wow cant believe we're discussing Eid already. It's been a crazy ride you guys. But we pulled it off!!!!! Congratulations to all and may Allah accept all your fasts.

The TeamCalculation already declared Eid on wednesday evening, with prayers on Thursday. It's either Thursday or Friday for us.

My country is having it on Thursday, with Wed-Sat public holidays IIRC. I'm working on Wed and Sat so I'll be getting overtime pay >=3

kingslunk

Muslim gaf: how does ramadan work for people north of the arctic circle work during the summer months when the sun is always up? I was always curious about this. Are they exempt?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Muslim gaf: how does ramadan work for people north of the arctic circle work during the summer months when the sun is always up? I was always curious about this. Are they exempt?
They follow another country's dawn/sunrise, from what I've heard it's usually the nearest from them or Saudi Arabia's

kingslunk

They follow another country's dawn/sunrise, from what I've heard it's usually the nearest from them or Saudi Arabia's

So if you live in Alaska you couls essentially eat normal during the day following saudia arabias time and not eat / drink at night and not break fasting?

Wow we are the end of ramadan. Was very long fasting days for me though from 03am to 11pm

Work from 4am to 12am

But nothing is impossible :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom