• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAMADAN 2013 thread of 18 hour fasts | Eid Mubarak!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Despera

Banned
I've never met a Muslim who refused to look at woman. Lower your gaze means to either not stare at her tits, or not reducing your look at her as a sexual object. I'm not sure you're reflecting majority opinion there.

The hijab thing could go on all night with either side debating till the cows go home.
Yep, the hijab thing is debatable. But regarding the gaze lowering bit, the Quranic verse is clear and direct, and is not up for interpretation.

I believe there's a pretty great hadith from the Prophet that goes something like: "The first look is free, but the second will cost you".

Also Despera's "agreed by all" comments are invalid. I've met very few who hold that kind of an extreme interpretation. Just out of curiosity are you Saudi Arabia or Kuwait Despera?
Actually there are a few hadiths that talk about the same thing, as compiled by Imam Ahmed and Al-Termethi. A muslim may mistakenly look directly at a woman (1st look), but is pardoned as long as he lowers his gaze afterward.

When I say "agreed by all" I'm talking about scholars/clerics who refuse to cherry pick Quranic verses and hadeeths. Nothing extreme about being honest with one's self.

In any case, this is not the appropriate place to discuss these matters. I'm just sharing some of the knowledge I gained back in my muslim days. Sorry for derailing the thread.

F#A#Oo

Banned
925 million people are starving this Ramadan.
#stats worth thinking about.

Tbf has there ever been a point in human history where we've eradicated hunger? People still have scarce access to water, such a basic thing.

I donate to UNICEF and they plan to end hunger by the end of this year. I say good luck but it's not gonna happen.

All of humanity needs to contribute to each other.

Hell the other week I opened a thread on GAF telling people to support their local food banks and there was like 2 posts.

well, not a usual day i suppose...found out in the morning that my mom's brother back in the country had a brain hemorrhage and passed away, dude was just 35...if it's not a bother, i ask muslim Gaf to pray for his magfirat

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sleepiness in Ramadan is the worst :(

Especially since the weather here where I live is just so bloody perfect for it, as if it is specifically designed to entice people to curl up and sleep. Cold, but not too cold, with breezy wind blowing.... That plus an empty belly...... Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Not such a big problem on holidays but on work days? Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

Anyways, the 5th day already!

vareon

well, not a usual day i suppose...found out in the morning that my mom's brother back in the country had a brain hemorrhage and passed away, dude was just 35...if it's not a bother, i ask muslim Gaf to pray for his magfirat

I will. I'm sorry for your loss.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihim raajiun.

Ashes

Banned

Will do absolutely.

Did he die during Ramadan?

Yep, the hijab thing is debatable. But regarding the gaze lowering bit, the Quranic verse is clear and direct, and is not up for interpretation.

Actually there are a few hadiths that talk about the same thing, as compiled by Imam Ahmed and Al-Termethi. A muslim may mistakenly look directly at a woman (1st look), but is pardoned as long as he lowers his gaze afterward.

When I say "agreed by all" I'm talking about scholars/clerics who refuse to cherry pick Quranic verses and hadeeths. Nothing extreme about being honest with one's self.

In any case, this is not the appropriate place to discuss these matters. I'm just sharing some of the knowledge I gained back in my muslim days. Sorry for derailing the thread.

Do these scholars not watch television? Or soap operas? or sell products to women? or talk in a friendly manner to neighbours?

The Quran is poetic, and should be viewed holistically. The passage to me is clearly talking about modesty. It is absurd to take it to it's absolute literal extreme. One should read the the Quran with great intellect. This just comes across as simply another example of a rigid dogmatic attempt to preserve tradition.

liger05

How's everyone's weekend been? I thought it would be harder for me than being at work but if anything its felt easier. Even being outside in the heat wasnt uncomfortable.

Do you guys usually eat more than usual during Ramadan? Personally I dont find myself feeling that I need to eat more come iftar.

I find myself thirstier when I'm in an air conditioned room than outside. I slept with the AC on and I woke up dying of thirst. I guess the moisture from the heat or whatever makes it a lot more bearable. My throat was so dry beforehand ugh.

Sorry for your loss :(

Inna Lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Last night I had a double chicken zinger with double cheese, 4 donuts, french fries, and about half a KG of Jalebis.

Sogood.gif

My condolences to your heart

Worst pig out (sorry) I did was 2 lbs of Jalebis, then another time was 1.5 lb of Dark (Kala) Gulab Jamun

Oh my stomach/ass combo was fucking lethal

I think I have eaten so much Jalebis in my life, the beard that I have started soaking up the color
8xqmSCim.jpg

The pictures of the baklava during Ramadan and Eid are always my fave ;3

I have jury duty tomorrow morning which really is going to make things a bit tough. Otherwise I've been pretty good so far. I'm a bit concerned though that I don't eat as much after I break my fast (although I don't want to overeat/binge either).

Always vote GUILTY!

Sorry to hear man, my condolences

Family Death during Ramadan is especially hard

I remember my best friends mom died during it a couple of years back, was the worst time to get through
Really hard to fast, pray, sacrifice and then have the hardship of losing a loved on top of that

Hopefully with Ramadan families get closer, hoping there's good support for everyone in your immediate family to overcome it

Wish you and your family the best

I many not be Muslim-GAF anymore but hopefully a prayer from this sinner/apostolic gets accepted on your behalf

How's everyone's weekend been? I thought it would be harder for me than being at work but if anything its felt easier. Even being outside in the heat wasnt uncomfortable.

Do you guys usually eat more than usual during Ramadan? Personally I dont find myself feeling that I need to eat more come iftar.
Just got back from iftar party. How can you hold iftar party without samosas :p jk. I had good time. Weekends are usually hard for me because we have usually nothing to do but sit and wait. During weekdays time goes by fast because you're busy. But I would still prefer weekends over weekdays haha.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Been playing The Last of Us to kill time on weekends.

Anyways, don't see OttomanScribe in here. Has he forsaken GAF already? Too bad, considering in my opinion he's one of the most knowledgeable, well-educated, and well-spoken Muslims in GAF. MuslimGAF loses a great deal with him gone :(

Been playing The Last of Us to kill time on weekends.

Anyways, don't see OttomanScribe in here. Has he forsaken GAF already? Too bad, considering in my opinion he's one of the most knowledgeable, well-educated, and well-spoken Muslims in GAF. MuslimGAF loses a great deal with him gone :(
He was there in that Dawkins thread and did a pretty good job standing up against criticism of Islam despite people calling him all sorts of vulgar names. I learned so much from his posts and I hope he is still there/lurking :( Hope he comes back. IslamGAF star for sure.

My weekend was boring since I sprained my ankle playing basketball thinking I wasn't going to go all out during my fast but then I rolled my ankle. The fast itself was easier since I was in bed for most of the weekend until I had to break my fast. This year I'm more focused on cutting out rap music from my iPhone less video-game playing and less Internet use during Ramadan this year.

Just wanted to chime in and say the complex carb and fibre rich food really does help in keeping me satiated for like 8 hours or more.

Been having haleem with lentils, fruits, and shreddies+weetabix.

roddur

i don't know whether anyone asked this before, what is the one food you guys always eat/ate at iftaar time?

for me it's poha (pressed rice) and yogurt.

Yasir

i don't know whether anyone asked this before, what is the one food you guys always eat/ate at iftaar time?

for me it's poha (pressed rice) and yogurt.

Chicken. There has to be chicken. In any form. NEEDS TO BE CHICKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

liger05

What breaks the fast and what doesnt:

tumblr_mpymt1l9sa1qhqwuzo2_1280.png

tumblr_mpymt1l9sa1qhqwuzo3_1280.png

tumblr_mpymt1l9sa1qhqwuzo4_1280.png

tumblr_mpymt1l9sa1qhqwuzo5_1280.png

Wet dreams and vomiting don't break the fast? I didn't know that.

Tasting food? I thought that would break the fast.

I've already lost weight.

Day 1 of Ramadan - 10st 2lbs. Morning of day 5 9st 11lbs. Evening of day 5 after cycling 12.5 miles each way to work 9st 8lbs. Carry on like this and by the end of Ramadan there will be nothing left of me.

Tasting food? I thought that would break the fast.

I've already lost weight.

Day 1 of Ramadan - 10st 2lbs. Morning of day 5 9st 11lbs. Evening of day 5 after cycling 12.5 miles each way to work 9st 8lbs. Carry on like this and by the end of Ramadan there will be nothing left of me.
TAsting food is same as brushing teeth. When you prepare food especially with the intent of feeding fasting people, it is important that they dont feel unsatisfied. In india the cooks taste food and rinse mouth afterwards. In the end it comes down to intent.

That's a very interesting list, didn't know so much was allowed. I guess vomiting and wet dreams are out of your control, so that's why.

"Kissing and hugging doesn't break the fast...as long as ejaculation is not resulted."

mHM3DMk.gif

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Hugging I can understand but kissing doesn't break the fast? o_O

Well, scholars where I live tend to favor the thought that there are two levels of fasting breaking: the 1st level is when the fast is not broken but you don't get any reward from Allah for it (the word is "Pahala" in here, I have no idea what is the English equivalent), and the 2nd level is when the fast is broken altogether.

I guess kissing can be put on the 1st level of that fast breaking.

Today was really hard...Dunno why. Hunger started around 11 and never left..Now I have headache. Man, I missed tea so much :3

One week is already over guys.

This is not entirely correct depending on which madhhab you follow.

For example, using toothpaste is by itself not something that breaks your fast but while you're brushing, if you end up swallowing the paste, your fast CAN be broken as you intentionally put the toothpaste in your mouth even if you did not intend on swallowing it.

A similar thing is that with inhalers. Using inhalers DOES break your fast. If they are a necessity (e.g. acute asthmatic attack), the fast would still break but would only require a qadha fast to be made later on, instead of kaffara that is required of breaking the fast without a valid reason.

Masturbation, although explicitly forbidden, does not by itself break the fast. If ejaculation occurs, then only is the fast broken. Wet dreams do not break the fast, though, as those are out of people's control.

Also, a lot of the listed actions are makrooh, such as using mouthwash or toothpaste or tasting food, regardless of whether they are swallowed (swallowing them intentionally or unintentionally would break the fast).

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Sorry, if this is off-topic, but does fasting help your body lose weight?

Amazingly a lot of people gain weight during the month

Cause most go off their regular diets/eating habits

Your body conditions to your eating times, if your eating time for a month get switched before sunrise and only after sunset, yeah it might take awhile to come off it

Also a lot over eat right before they start the fasting to keep them satiated during the day and the hunger that arises right before breaking the fast, so they double down and eat more at night also

You would have to be a strict eater and watch what you eat religiously if you want to watch your figure

This all depends on what you choose to eat. A lot of families eat more and unhealthier food than they would normally because almost every day turns into a sort of feast. People eat a lot of unhealthy food when they break their fast, eat food before/after they go for taraweeh (night prayers), and then load up before they begin their fast.

All of this is contrary to the sunnah. The Prophet PBUH would break his fast with just dates and water. He would also never eat gluttonously as we do today.

Lamel

Banned

It can help you lose weight if you still eat clean. A lot of people eat fried fatty foods though and binge so they can end up gaining weight.

I know I've continued working out and have lost at least .5-1 lb so far. Not really good for me since I am skinny, but I'm hoping it's mainly fat.

Today I monstrously binged on two gyros, and a large ass samosa. Feels good man.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I just wanted to pop in and say that I was born during the month of Ramadan.

My parents put Ramadan in my name.

Go me.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I've started to feel headaches and dizzyness after 7 pm until breaking the last couple of days, never really had this in years before. It's durable, but I always reach a point where I have to lie down for a while and rest. I get enough sleep (around 6-8 hours in a day) so either it's the hot weather or I'm just really outta shape

As long as you keep the calorie level in a day below what you want to to achieve weight loss, yeah you can lose weight easily. A ton of people go over what they usually eat in a day at night tho and end up gaining weight. Three meals in those few hours can easily go up to 2000-2500 calories

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I just wanted to pop in and say that I was born during the month of Ramadan.

My parents put Ramadan in my name.

Go me.

That's badass man. I would love to have Ramadan as part of my name.

Well, unless you're not a Muslim but I assume you are a Muslim, right? Hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom