• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Mafia |OT| A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

....that joke would have been funnier if I had said 'officers' instead of 'henchmen'.

Oh well, hindsight and all that.

I'm sure we'll all be looking behind in the days to come.

I think I'll be holding my vote off until everyone's introduced their sandy bosoms.

Palmer_v1

Sorry for the poorly typed posts. I'd edit for grammar and spelling if I could. I'm on my actual PC now, and a bit more sober.

So anyway, I didn't jump to my defense because I didn't think it was really needed. The logic behind what was happening should have been fairly obvious, and I trust the veterans not to make any rash decisions. I hold no grudges over you picking me. I'm more concerned about anyone that seemed easily swayed by your actions, because they're either easily influenced, or trying to pile on for their own reasons(i.e. Mafia).

As for Detain/No Detain on D1, what was the reasoning behind it? Just feels like we're essentially voting blind right now, and have a better chance of detaining one of our own power roles than we do catching mafia this early.

Zatoth

As for Detain/No Detain on D1, what was the reasoning behind it? Just feels like we're essentially voting blind right now, and have a better chance of detaining one of our own power roles than we do catching mafia this early.

Going by that logic we would have to go with No Detain on following days to. I doubt we will have enough information to find a Empire player soon. By not voting we don't use our Rebel power while the Empire will take us out during the night.

For now this is my vote:

Vote: swamped

You still didn't tell me why I should revoke the vote.

Here is the truth:

As LoC recognized, my vote was in fact random. In mafia, the very first moments of the game are usually filled of 'now what' type of posts due to a lack of direction. By immediately voting someone, I have accomplished in moving the game along, and have gotten people to start thinking and searching, even if I'm the one with the most suspicion.

But that all would happen regardless of whether or not I voted Palmer, or someone else. No, I chose Palmer specifically because he was a veteran. I followed the last game, so I understood that he knows how to defend himself against suspicion. My hope was that he would make a quick but easily readable defense, and we would all have someone who we would almost certainly be able to trust, an asset that is invaluable to the rebels. I couldn't state this as my goal until he had the chance to defend himself, otherwise it might have gone down differently.

But then something strange happened. Instead of saying 'I'm not scum, this is why', he decided to make me look as suspicious as possible, using a third party role as the auspicious proposal, rather than the far more contraversial scum label.

Now I am not going to stand here and tell you he is for sure a Hut, that would just be outrageous this early in the day. But his defense has not adequately convinced me at all that he isn't. As such, until someone else is more suspicious than him, or if he provides a better defence, my vote will stay.

This makes no sense.

Palmer_v1

Going by that logic we would have to go with No Detain on following days to. I doubt we will have enough information to find a Empire player soon. By not voting we don't use our Rebel power while the Empire will take us out during the night.

For now this is my vote:

My only problem with that argument is that a D1 Detain means if that person had a power role that could have helped, they'll never get a chance to use it. Let's say we accidentally lynch a Cop. They could role claim it today, but would have 0 information to corroborate. We back down, they just get mafia killed anyway. If we don't back down, we kill our cop for no gain. If this all happens D2 instead, they have a chance to tell us what info they've gathered, and we can decide from there what to do.

I'll probably wait until Monday and then randomly choose someone that hasn't posted yet to lynch.

This is my preference so far, if we do go with a D1 Detain.

Currently, I'm unwilling to vote for LoC(got my back), Johnny(Also had my back and I still feel bad I let him get lynched last game), Barry(he's dead tonight anyway), TB(I won't punish activity), Raindoc(As I said above, I agree about the D1 detaining), Exmachina64(Put critical thought into TB's shenanigans, active)

Zatoth

My only problem with that argument is that a D1 Detain means if that person had a power role that could have helped, they'll never get a chance to use it. Let's say we accidentally lynch a Cop. They could role claim it today, but would have 0 information to corroborate. We back down, they just get mafia killed anyway. If we don't back down, we kill our cop for no gain. If this all happens D2 instead, they have a chance to tell us what info they've gathered, and we can decide from there what to do.

Assuming we pick a cop by chance: This will force him to role claim. Which makes him a likely target during the night. But we probably have other roles to help us in that case. Someone may be able to protect or watch the cop. Which makes the cop actually an unlikely target for a nightly attack.

Palmer_v1

Assuming we pick a cop by chance: This will force him to role claim. Which makes him a likely target during the night. But we probably have other roles to help us in that case. Someone may be able to protect or watch the cop. Which makes the cop actually an unlikely target for a nightly attack.

It just seems like a really big risk for very little gain. Do you really think a handful of random detain votes will lead to anything useful?

Rymuth

That is fair, but I am confident in my decisions, so I would advise anyone who might share the sentiment to hold on a little longer before voting me as well, the last thing we would want is a bandwagon for the huts to jump on to end the day early.
I admit to wanting to make you my first vote due to you muddying the water a bit...but you're right about one thing, I shouldn't be so hasty. I will not be some Nerf that gets herded by someone like...like a Herder.

But I'm keeping an eye on you.

Zatoth

It just seems like a really big risk for very little gain. Do you really think a handful of random detain votes will lead to anything useful?

I think so yes. By not voting we would also get little discussion about the votes. Can be helpful to look for vote patterns later in the game.

We have also to consider that the empire players will get more information as the game progresses. Makes it easier for them to block/attack players.

Remember we can afford to lose a Rebel or two. We still drastically outnumber the Hutts.

The main information we gather from a Day 1 lynch is reactions. We see who everyone votes for, the victims defense and the defense of those helping them, plus the results after the lynch. So much info can be gained. Will it directly lead to a Hutt death? Probably not, but it forces everyone to engage in some way.

You still didn't tell me why I should revoke the vote.

Here is the truth:

As LoC recognized, my vote was in fact random. In mafia, the very first moments of the game are usually filled of 'now what' type of posts due to a lack of direction. By immediately voting someone, I have accomplished in moving the game along, and have gotten people to start thinking and searching, even if I'm the one with the most suspicion.

But that all would happen regardless of whether or not I voted Palmer, or someone else. No, I chose Palmer specifically because he was a veteran. I followed the last game, so I understood that he knows how to defend himself against suspicion. My hope was that he would make a quick but easily readable defense, and we would all have someone who we would almost certainly be able to trust, an asset that is invaluable to the rebels. I couldn't state this as my goal until he had the chance to defend himself, otherwise it might have gone down differently.

But then something strange happened. Instead of saying 'I'm not scum, this is why', he decided to make me look as suspicious as possible, using a third party role as the auspicious proposal, rather than the far more contraversial scum label.

Now I am not going to stand here and tell you he is for sure a Hut, that would just be outrageous this early in the day. But his defense has not adequately convinced me at all that he isn't. As such, until someone else is more suspicious than him, or if he provides a better defence, my vote will stay.

I knew it. I didn't get a moment to post about this little incident but as I was reading I called that this is what would happen. Honestly you should have let it burn a little longer to get more reactions and data, but whatever. That's one way to get some action rolling.
For now I'm fine with Terrabyte. What he did was a bit contrarian, but contrarian and mafia are not always hand in hand.

Having said that, Palmers way of defending himself wasn't inherently suspicious to me either. Role claiming is often a last defense, and it's not surprising that one will defend themselves without taking it to that level. Would scum try to keep safe without giving up his role? Certainly. But would a town member do the same? It's pretty possible and even likely. I'm sure that's the route I'd take if I felt like it'd work (and you obviously had almost nothing so of course it'd work). No reason to suspect Palmer based on these events alone.

raindoc

Not 100% random. Once people started to post it stopped being totally random.

I disagree. Noone knows anything, everyone is just guessing. Starting tomorrow we'll be able to look for patterns. Even if none of the investigative roles goes public tomorrow and we get no concrete evidence, everyone involved in some actions will take that into consideration and their vote starts to mean something.
Right now it's just a dice roll with first impressions.

I'll probably wait until Monday and then randomly choose someone that hasn't posted yet to lynch.
I agree with both Quantum and Palmer that this is the best way to go. As was pointed out to me last game, rebels/townies have no reasons to lurk. Hutts/mafia on the other hand, do: to avoid giving away information.

Detaining a rebel who isn't contributing to our case isn't really a loss, beyond being one non-voice down.

CzarTim

My only problem with that argument is that a D1 Detain means if that person had a power role that could have helped, they'll never get a chance to use it. Let's say we accidentally lynch a Cop. They could role claim it today, but would have 0 information to corroborate. We back down, they just get mafia killed anyway. If we don't back down, we kill our cop for no gain. If this all happens D2 instead, they have a chance to tell us what info they've gathered, and we can decide from there what to do

No matter what, cops (or anyone really) should NOT claim today. Saying they have a power role is all that's required. Let's not give the Hutts any info they can use.

I have to follow quantum, Palmer and absolutbro on this one. Until otherwise I am already kind of trusting you three. I'm also pretty trusting of lord of castemere and barrylocke, but I'm going to be closely watching my fellow "survivors" and long time friends...

Hutt behavior will not be tolerated.

No matter what, cops (or anyone really) should NOT claim today. Saying they have a power role is all that's required. Let's not give the Hutts any info they can use.

Even saying you have a power role is terrible on day 1. Just saying it makes you target enough.

Hutt's don't care what you do, just knowing you do something is enough. That's part of the reason why I like the idea of detaining inactives, if they have a role they should not be "inactive", In a past life taking days off is how you die, and how is rebels could lose a powerful role.

Tl;dr if you have a role, don't claim, just post and keep the conversation going

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
So out of interest, what would be a quick easily readable defense that wouldn't be an obvious role-claim?

It's not really something that can be defind., but there is a tone of voice that comes across posts. If he had posted asking me himself the reason for the vote, or posted a reason or two why I shouldn't vote him, it would have been easier to read his actions.

I will say that now that Palmer is self proclaimed sober that his tone of voice has improved considerably.

I knew it. I didn't get a moment to post about this little incident but as I was reading I called that this is what would happen. Honestly you should have let it burn a little longer to get more reactions and data, but whatever. That's one way to get some action rolling.
For now I'm fine with Terrabyte. What he did was a bit contrarian, but contrarian and mafia are not always hand in hand.

Having said that, Palmers way of defending himself wasn't inherently suspicious to me either. Role claiming is often a last defense, and it's not surprising that one will defend themselves without taking it to that level. Would scum try to keep safe without giving up his role? Certainly. But would a town member do the same? It's pretty possible and even likely. I'm sure that's the route I'd take if I felt like it'd work (and you obviously had almost nothing so of course it'd work). No reason to suspect Palmer based on these events alone.
I honest felt that I probably should've let it go a little longer, but I felt doing so might do more harm than good, so I decided to err on the side of caution.

I also agree that people probably shouldn't be too suspicious of Palmer just because of my little gambit, or whatever you want to call it. Especially since I feel he has improved quite a bit since then.

CzarTim

I've been reading through some if this and Terrabyte is being mighty suspicious right now. He may or may not have a reason to be doing this but if we did decide to go with him it could be interesting to see. Im not fully convinced with him though.
Is there a reason? Just asking. Want to know why we are doing this and not Terrabyte.

I really dislike this post, it feels really shady to me. Whether Terabyte20xx's actions were successful or not, the intention behind them were clearly in the rebel's interest. There would be zero reason for the mob to come in that strong and draw attention to themselves.

Meanwhile Worthy's posts have been wishy washy as if trying to get some rebels in the lynch TB camp without going in so hard that a lynch could be traced back to them.

VOTE: TheWorthyEdge

I'm willing to change my vote if need be, but I feel like this is exactly the sort of post the mob would make day one.

CzarTim

Even saying you have a power role is terrible on day 1. Just saying it makes you target enough.

Hutt's don't care what you do, just knowing you do something is enough. That's part of the reason why I like the idea of detaining inactives, if they have a role they should not be "inactive", In a past life taking days off is how you die, and how is rebels could lose a powerful role.

Tl;dr if you have a role, don't claim, just post and keep the conversation going

In the scenario where we accidently random lynch a cop, having them soft claim would be preferable. A doc could protect them. My point is we don't need to know the full role until it's time to reveal.

Also I don't know know about detaining an inactive. I feel like that gets us as much info as no detain. Maybe in a day or two. Detaining someone making posts without the town's best interest in mind is preferable to me.

CzarTim

In the scenario where we accidently random lynch a cop, having them soft claim would be preferable. A doc could protect them. My point is we don't need to know the full role until it's time to reveal.

Also I don't know know about detaining an inactive. I feel like that gets us as much info as no detain. Maybe in a day or two. Detaining someone making posts without the town's best interest in mind is preferable to me.

Just to clarify, I meant if we get to a point where someone is one or two votes away from being detained. Not like after one vote.

Terrabyte20xx

I definitely agree with this. Detaining an inactive is worse than a No Detain because not only do we get no info, we are down one rebel with nothing to show for it.

But we should keep it on the table even if we never do it. Just the mere threat should keep the huts active enough for them to be within our range of detainable suspects.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
I'm okay with detaining on the first day, but I also don't like picking someone at complete random. Yeah, we have little to no info to go on, but I still think we should have a reason for picking somone, even if it's somewhat flimsy and comes down to "he was acting a little suspicious".

redhood56

Banned
I think we have to vote random but I'm going to wait until Monday to vote. Its day 1 and we still don't have solid information(besides the vague things TB has said) so really we aren't going to get anymore information until somebody comes out with something on day 1 which isn't a smart move.

I think no-detain/no-lynch is pretty common for day 1 because people want to give those with power roles time to do their thing and start feeding information. Detaining an inactive might as well be a no-detain, if they weren't actively participating in the game in the first place.

I actually find it weird when people rush to a random detain. I mean, you basically know you are more likely to detain a rebel than a hutt. And while there are certain acceptable losses (in that even the detained players win with their side), you also risk outing your power roles. Multiple people rushing to the same detain just smells of collusion...

CzarTim

The problem with a random detain to me is that, okay someone randomly picks a player and then half the game or so agrees and votes the same way. What information do we get from that exactly? Unless we get lucky and pick scum, we're really just playing Simon Says.

Picking someone who is at least sort of suspicious gives us a baseline to work with tomorrow.

Swamped

Banned
Woah. I wake up this morning, on a harsh, desolate, foreign planet and see two votes to detain me! That has certainly taken me back. Fellow crashees, please explain?

I really dislike this post, it feels really shady to me. Whether Terabyte20xx's actions were successful or not, the intention behind them were clearly in the rebel's interest. There would be zero reason for the mob to come in that strong and draw attention to themselves.

Meanwhile Worthy's posts have been wishy washy as if trying to get some rebels in the lynch TB camp without going in so hard that a lynch could be traced back to them.

I'm willing to change my vote if need be, but I feel like this is exactly the sort of post the mob would make day one.

This definitely strikes me as more noticeable than the Tera vs. Palmer scuffle or a random vote. I do believe in having some idea of a vote on the early days, and for now

...makes the most sense with where things are at this early stage.

I just want a good reason to not vote for him. I haven't seen anything that really stands out as this is for the rebels. I seriously just want to know why you guys are backing him up. I'll go back in the thread a bit and check it out but I do want to hear from one of you guys on the matter, that's all I'm asking.

Eh. Reading back through some of this stuff TB does sound like he's doing good for us but I mean he clearly has an agenda. Whether that is for us or not only he knows but I may have to go him or whoever we are going random with.

Makai

I'm reading through the last Mafia thread to see why random lynching is being considered. That seems like an insane strategy to me. I will probably vote No Detain.

What? I really don't understand why people are voting me when there are others being far more I interesting and peculiar. I have no reason to be voted at this current stage so it's a bit premature. Still nobody has answered my question on why we don't vote TB.

Terrabyte20xx

Guys, don't read too much into my ploy. It was simply done to jumpstart the game and get people to start searching out scum and finding allies. I didn't actually suspect palmer at the time voting, and I am warming up to him as the game continues to progress.

Zatoth

I'm reading through the last Mafia thread to see why random lynching is being considered. That seems like an insane strategy to me. I will probably vote No Detain.

Or chances of picking Empire tomorrow will not be much better than today. Unless we are extremely lucky and/or a power role decides to role claim.

So not much will chance tomorrow when it comes to making a decision.

But the Empire will strike during the night and they will be able to use the knowledge they gain from their power roles in a better way than we will.

Terrabyte20xx

They just need someone to detain and chose you randomly because you hadn't posted.
There is actually merit to that. By voting it puts pressure on the player. If the player can stand the heat, it makes it far more likely to trust that they are an ally. Finding allies is just as, if not more important than finding scum.

This definitely strikes me as more noticeable than the Tera vs. Palmer scuffle or a random vote. I do believe in having some idea of a vote on the early days, and for now

...makes the most sense with where things are at this early stage.

What stage are we at? I'm asking questions lol isn't that what mafias about?

Guys, don't read too much into my ploy. It was simply done to jumpstart the game and get people to start searching out scum and finding allies. I didn't actually suspect palmer at the time voting, and I am warming up to him as the game continues to progress.

Oh then in that case we go no detain or random. Or ya know. Me.

Unless we get lucky and pick scum, we're really just playing Simon Says.

Picking someone who is at least sort of suspicious gives us a baseline to work with tomorrow.
That is completely reasonable, actually. The issue is, I guess, determining what qualifies as "sort of suspicious".

What? I really don't understand why people are voting me when there are others being far more I interesting and peculiar. I have no reason to be voted at this current stage so it's a bit premature. Still nobody has answered my question on why we don't vote TB.

Interesting and peculiar doesn't mean suspicious, and can stimulate discussion. I think what TB tried to do was a good move but the way he ended up wording his follow up posts confused the issue and threw the focus away from Palmer and onto him. Maybe not the intended outcome, but it still served a purpose. I'm sure he knew when doing it that there was a risk it would turn on him, and it seems unlikely a mobster would take that risk. I mean there is always the chance that it's an incredibly ballsy move to try and build credibility/trust on day 1 but it just seems like too big a risk too early in the game for a mobster play to me.
It also seems like the type of play that the whole mob would want to discuss before actually putting it into effect and TB made that post pretty quickly after the PMs went out.

For your first point: Sometimes someone will post something that just doesn't feel right to me, and when theres little solid info to work with gut feelings are hard to shake and as a good a guide as anything.

Basing votes on previous games seems a bit unfair on the new players but, for the early days, my feeling is I want to keep in players that are likely to be engaged with the game and post useful content, most of the returning players have already demonstrated that. It's not to do with time played either, Barry went out first in the last game, but even in that short time I feel his posts contributed more than people who lasted longer.

Top Bottom