• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vehicle plows into counter protesters in Charlottesville

Vamphuntr

What the hell is your problem? I'm just less ready to condemn after finding out that the owner and his family don't have any obvious hatred toward the protesters. I thought it was intentional at first as well, but I'm now considering the possibility that it could have been an accident.

After seeing the video it seems rather hard to believe to be fair. You can see him speeding in a street full of people then pulling out in reverse before getting away. If it was health related he wouldn't have been able to reverse and get away. Speeding in a street full of people isn't an accident either as the brake pedal exists for a reason.

Welcome to America where Nazis committing violence against civilians in the persuit of a political agenda isn't terrorism and all wealth and resources must go to a handful of billionaires because a healthy populace isn't worth the hit to their vaults overflowing with more money than they could ever spend.

The driver's car insurance, if he has any, would be liable first.

I don't have a car or insurance so I don't really know how all this would work. Would it still apply if the car was stolen because that's what I've heard.

Fuck off, I'm not arguing in favor of anything other than censoring the plates util more is known.

How about you stop giving the benefit of the doubt to a guy who went full speed into a crowd and slammed into reverse and ran away?

I don't think we need to play Internet detective with the plates either. But you're not just doing that.

As I said above you're going on the info put out by pol and 4chan which most likely is the owner of the car, but at this stage the police haven't announced who was driving the car. It could be stolen, it could be someone else in the family and so on. All we have to go on is the videos and they are as damning as you can get for crowd ramming and fleeing the scene.

Of course it could be stolen, that was in my first post. If it's not, then there is actually the small chance that it could have been unintentional. Either way, showing the plates here isn't helpful.

Plum

Just heard this and good god it's fucking horrible. To see people stoop to such violence and, more horrifically, to see so many including Trump actively defending it, is disgusting.

RIP to the deceased and I hope all those injured recover and get all the help they need.

Audioboxer

Of course it could be stolen, that was in my first post. If it's not, then there is actually the small chance that it could have been unintentional. Either way, showing the plates here isn't helpful.

The video evidence is by far the most damning evidence we have, and it, therefore, is more important than running the plates and getting names of people. You're taking the names of the person/people that have come back and are trying to work out why a family that doesn't seem to fit the MO could have done this. Right now I'd say that isn't really the right way to look at it. The police have who was driving and we'll need to wait for their name to come out, and for right now what we do have is multiple shot videos all showing what clearly displays intent and fleeing the scene.

How about you stop giving the benefit of the doubt to a guy who went full speed into a crowd and slammed into reverse and ran away?

I don't think we need to play Internet detective with the plates either. But you're not just doing that.

I'm sure as fuck not giving him the benefit of doubt. I'm saying that it's something like 90% chance of stolen and intentional, and 10% chance that someone panicked. Everyone else is at 100% intentional and fuck anyone who has the slightest bit of doubt.

Rellik

A new low for defence forces on NeoGAF. A couple of people have really shown what kind of people they are.

Just checked pol, seems they're already trying to pin the blame on someone already and what a surprise that the Nazi scum are trying to place the blame on a anti-trump artist.

SaviourMK2

Fuck off, I'm not arguing in favor of anything other than censoring the plates util more is known.

I get what you're saying, believe me I do. But right now it's a little too toxic to pubically come out with a defense of the driver.
I want to believe he was drunk, and an accident, but the evidence in the videos and the fact Nazi's are even there say otherwise to the point.
I'm not telling you, but maybe just take a step back and let things unfold. Take it from me, coming out hoping for a less darker tone to the story is almost never going to be met with appraise.

watershed

Banned
The driver is in custody. We'll know more soon enough. Focus less on 1 act of violence and more on the mass of white supremacists that started all of this because they can't handle losing statues of their racist white heroes.

Damaniel

Banned
Fuck all this. How long until we're gonna have to create an alt-right Guantanamo equivalent to hold these assholes? I don't think far right terrorism is going anywhere anytime soon, as long as they're supported all the way up to the top.

Audioboxer

Just checked pol, seems they're already trying to pin the blame on someone already and what a surprise that the Nazi scum are trying to place the blame on a anti-trump artist.

There's a blurry snapchat picture from some pages back which appears to suggest a middle aged man.

That along with the video evidence of the attack is all people should really be concerned with for now. The police will identify who they caught shortly I'd guess. Ignore pol and 4chan, irrespective of them running plates for ownership.

What rumours are these? I know full well not to put all my faith in a Twitter rumour I'm just curious what the ppl are saying and Twitter isn't working right for me at work right now

It appears they've (pol/4chan) run the plates of the car on a paid information site to get ownership name/address and more. They're then playing internet detectives and what not. The sort of shit that isn't helpful when the police have a suspect arrested and will no doubt shortly release who it is.

I hope the Twitter rumors of the driver is aren't true and god help that man if they arent.
What rumours are these? I know full well not to put all my faith in a Twitter rumour I'm just curious what the ppl are saying and Twitter isn't working right for me at work right now

commedieu

Banned
Fuck all this. How long until we're gonna have to create an alt-right Guantanamo equivalent to hold these assholes? I don't think far right terrorism is going anywhere anytime soon, as long as they're supported all the way up to the top.

White people won't be in those prisons mate. They will make protesting illegal. Give it time. And no one living in privilege will say a damned thing.

Azuran

Banned
At least ISIS owns up to their atrocities. On the other hands, these motherfucking Nazis are fucking cowards who contently hide and run while blaming everyone else for their fucked up views and troubles.

It's a fucking disgrace what's happening in the US.

DHCsSnkXsAIwf9N.jpg:large

And you can be certain that these are the same people that have told someone to "Shut up, you lost" when criticizing Trump.

Late Flag

The video evidence is by far the most damning evidence we have, and it, therefore, is more important than running the plates and getting names of people. You're taking the names of the person/people that have come back and are trying to work out why a family that doesn't seem to fit the MO could have done this. Right now I'd say that isn't really the right way to look at it. The police have who was driving and we'll need to wait for their name to come out, and for right now what we do have is multiple shot videos all showing what clearly displays intent and fleeing the scene.

Exactly. We'll find out who the driver was and what his motivation was in the next day or two. For now, the video evidence pretty much speaks for itself.

DogDude

Some berniebro kid has been doxxed to hell and back by the looks of it and Twitter accounts are pinning him to be the driver. There does not appear to be any actual evidence backing this up

acevans2

I live in Charlottesville, fairly close to downtown. Locals reports of one of the state helicopters doing down now, a little ways away from downtown. What a day. I can't believe someone was killed here today.

riotous

Banned
Some berniebro kid has been doxxed to hell and back by the looks of it and Twitter accounts are pinning him to be the driver. There does not appear to be any actual evidence backing this up

They are claiming his hair matches the driver's hair.

Problems with that:

1) They are literally using a whisp of hair down the driver's brow as evidence
2) They are using a selfie for comparison; the selfie would be reversed.. so the whisp of hair is on the wrong side actually
3) The picture of the pulled over / cuffed driver, wile blurry, looks nothing like the kid.. and the one detail it appears you can make out is that they have a beard. And a different build.

riotous

Banned
Yeah, I saw that witness tell the same thing to MSNBC. If it's accurate, that's scary as fuck and they need to track down and arrest anyone who helped.

Witnesses also claimed the guy backed up and rammed people a second time; video evidence doesn't show that whatsoever.

Some witness claiming it was a coordinated attack because he saw the guy talking to people on the side of the road is pretty loose evidence wise. Even if someone did point the guy in a direction, even if it was with the intent of helping the guy.. that doesn't prove a coordinated attack.

Witnesses also claimed the guy backed up and rammed people a second time; video evidence doesn't show that whatsoever.

Some witness claiming it was a coordinated attack because he saw the guy talking to people on the side of the road is pretty loose evidence wise.
Agreed. Its always a good idea to approach these witness reports with some skepticism.

Emotions were running high, and a lot happened to a lot of people in a matter of just a few moments, and then chaos ensues. Some information will be confused.

BajiBoxer

Banned

Some witness claiming it was a coordinated attack because he saw the guy talking to people on the side of the road is pretty loose evidence wise. Even if someone did point the guy in a direction, even if it was with the intent of helping the guy.. that doesn't prove a coordinated attack.

Yeah, it's important to remember witnesses are unreliable in the middle of a terrifying situation. Kind of like how it's always reported there may be two shooters but then there aren't.

Dude holding the Nazi flag looks like the most unintimidating Nazi of all time.

I wonder if these Neo-Nazi types see themselves as 'real Americans'. Because frankly I can think of few things more American than fighting against the Nazis. Alongside baseball and apple pie.

Agreed. Its always a good idea to approach these witness reports with some skepticism.
Yes, totally. We know eyewitness accounts can be very unreliable. As much as we'd like to trust our memory, our brains are pretty good at misremembering and confabulating things in times of crisis.

This is some of the most sad and infuriating shit I have seen recently. These people should read up on World War 2 and be forced to visit Auschwitz to get educated on the subject. Millions died to stop the nazi's and here we are 70 years later with people wanting to throw away everything their grandparents fought for.

But these fuckers are basically pro slavery with the whole Confederate stuff also, so probably beyond help.

Hope the attacker gets life in prison with no parole. Terrorist attack, plain and simple.

Top Bottom