• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vehicle plows into counter protesters in Charlottesville

The approach of moderates continues to suggest that both sides are bringing equally valid arguments to the table.

There is nothing about this rally, about this movement, about any of the garbage that Trump or any of his cronies have championed that can be labeled as valid.

Correct, and I've never seen a single moderate in my life say otherwise. It's an idiotic straw man.

Memory

That's such fucking bullshit. This was clearly planned.

Don't you only charge people with something you can prove? If they try to say its 1st degree and can't prove it then he will be found innocent right? Sounds like they don't want to take the chance of him walking away from this.

Besides won't he get a bunch of attempted murder charges from the injured also?

bplewis24

Neo Member
I think the disconnect here is the difference between people who call themselves moderates and people who are actually moderates.

It's partly that, for sure. But the reality is that the GOP has moved far to the right politically. So anybody who is considered a "moderate" is much more closely aligned to the political left. Also, the parties have become much more partisan (primarily because of the GOP moving so far to the right):

house_full.gif

Ambient80

Charges can be upgraded if the investigation points to that. You definitely don't want to go to trial though and lose because you overcharged.

This. Prosecutors are being smart. Make initial charges that are light, wait for more evidence to be uncovered that you can use to upgrade charges, if possible.

fester

Banned
Anyone who advocates compromise with nazis is not a moderate. It's a complete strawman.

So what the fuck are we supposed to do with people who insist on appealing to "both sides" and call themselves "moderates"? Did you somehow miss Drumpf's tweets tonight? You've gone one better than these people, buried your head in the sand, and claim they somehow don't even exist. Pathetic.

KHarvey16

So what the fuck are we supposed to do with people who insist on appealing to "both sides" and call themselves "moderates"? Did you somehow miss Drumpf's tweets tonight? You've gone one better than these people, buried your head in the sand, and claim they somehow don't even exist. Pathetic.

Trump isn't a moderate and wasn't appealing to moderates there.

bplewis24

Neo Member
Don't you only charge people with something you can prove? If they try to say its 1st degree and can't prove it then he will be found innocent right? Sounds like they don't want to take the chance of him walking away from this.

Besides won't he get a bunch of attempted murder charges from the injured also?

Different states have different charging requirements. Jurisdiction matters. In some cases, you can charge multiple counts and degrees, in case a person isn't found guilty of the highest degree. In others, it's different.

Also, it's important to note that a prosecutor will determine the appropriate charges at a later date. A lot can change between now and then.

III-V

It's partly that, for sure. But the reality is that the GOP has moved far to the right politically. So anybody who is considered a "moderate" is much more closely aligned to the political left. Also, the parties have become much more partisan (primarily because of the GOP moving so far to the right):

house_full.gif

Great graphic, and a good illustration for morons who think the dems need to become more centric. THEY HAVENT CHANGED. Republicans have moved grossly far right in the same time.

That's such fucking bullshit. This was clearly planned.

The prosecutor will decide what charges they go after later. These are just the charges they're using to hold him.

A lot of people are letting their outrage get in front of the facts. If they can prove more, they'll go after it. It's not like Dylan Roof got off easy.

It really is.

You think moderates believe in a halfway point between civil rights and murdering black people? It's complete bullshit.

It sure doesn't feel like BS, I mean sure they stopped having evening dinner while hanging us but people sure have gotten comfortable with it being open season on us with the police and criminal justice system. We are treated like second class citizens and the feeling I have gotten from living in GA for 30 years is that I should be happy I'm not in a ditch somewhere. I have to deal with people riding around with confederate flags every damn day and if I even give the hint that I'm uncomfortable with it I'm made out to be the idiot who doesn't understand heritage pride. I live in a country try where the Klan is more respected by the majority than Black Lives Matter.

So what the fuck are we supposed to do with people who insist on appealing to "both sides" and call themselves "moderates"?.

Tell them to fuck off? There is nothing moderate about looking for a middle ground between civil rights and nazis. Anything in that space is extreme and just because someone who is in that space claims to be moderate, does not make it so. It's a lie, don't fall for it. Don't let them convince you that being a moderate means meeting fascists halfway. That is not what a moderate is.

My local news site has this story and the comments are 90%

"Leftists should have left a peaceful protest alone"
"Left antifa protests are always violent"
"Don't stand in the road unless you have a permit to block traffic"

Then there are the people who think the driver was antifa and rammed into peace loving right wingers.

Anticol

Banned
What from the shadows? America has been always like this, full of racism and bigotry, and now it comes out from the shadows? hahaha I know what you guys get taught in middle school but don't believe the America is great and just, America is full, FULL of hate.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Driving full speed into a group of people is not first degree?

First Degree would likely require they prove that he came down to Charlottesville with the express purpose of driving his vehicle into a crowd and planned to do so ahead of time and did not simply act out in the moment.

Second Degree is still intentional murder, but simply one that was done in the moment amd not premeditated and planned for in advance of the event.

They can always up the charge come trial should they find sufficient evidence that he was intending to do this and planned for it well in advance of the event itself.

Plus it's not like he's going to only get charged for the murder. He's going to have a wealth of other charges like attempted murder for at least 19 other people, using a vehicle as a weapon and a lot more. What will really matter is whether he serves those sentences concurrently or consecutively.

My local news site has this story and the comments are 90%

"Leftists should have left a peaceful protest alone"
"Left antifa protests are always violent"
"Don't stand in the road unless you have a permit to block traffic"

Then there are the people who think the driver was antifa and rammed into peace loving right wingers.

What part of Florida you live at?

cameron

James Alex Fields, Jr. has been identified as the suspected driver of a vehicle that rammed into protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia, killing one and injuring dozens more. Fields was booked in jail on suspicion of second-degree murder, police told the Washington Post. Fields, 20, is from Maumee, Ohio, outside of Toledo. Fields registered as a Republican in 2016, public records reviewed by The Daily Beast show. Fields was cited for expired plates in May 2017, records show.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/james-alex-fields-jr-idd-as-charlottesville-suspect

God damn it. Please disregard that pic I posted of the black police officer protecting the KKK guys. Turns out it wasn't taken today. Twitter bamboozled me. And usually I'm really good about detecting false or misleading pictures on Twitter.

I mean its still a good pic, and I think it was actually taken in Charlottesville, but at a different rally some other time.

It sure doesn't feel like BS, I mean sure they stopped having evening dinner while hanging us but people sure have gotten comfortable with it being open season on us with the police and criminal justice system. We are treated like second class citizens and the feeling I have gotten from living in GA for 30 years is that I should be happy I'm not in a ditch somewhere. I have to deal with people riding around with confederate flags every damn day and if I even give the hint that I'm uncomfortable with it I'm made out to be the idiot who doesn't understand heritage pride. I live in a country try where the Klan is more respected by the majority than Black Lives Matter.

I see where you are coming from. But don't let those fuckers claim they speak for the centre, that they occupy the middle ground because if you do that, you accept that civil rights, equality, common human decency and all of that stuff that should be taken for granted is some kind of extreme position. It is not an extreme position. You cannot allow the right to claim the centre. Call that bullshit out.

platocplx

I'm realizing that guys intent was to completely drive through that crowd. The damage would have been even worse if those other cars weren't there. Just simply insane.

bplewis24

Neo Member
Here is what my friend had to say about the charges. She is a public defender.

The cops have to make a probable cause statement regarding charges and have to book on specific charges. Very rarely is someone arraigned on the same charges they are booked on. It is the DA who files the charges after they read the LE reports. The DA is the official charging agency but the cops have to book people on what they determine to be appropriate. Most often times wrong. That is always one of the first conversations I have with clients. Either they are upset becaus the cops booked them on different more serious charges than the ones they are officially charged with and arraigned on or the cops booked them on less serious crap the da decided to file on. Usually it is the latter and they do it because it makes the first bail amount higher. When I do the job I am in now at arraignment most clients have at least $50,000 bail. When they leave my courtroom it is usually much lower bc the DA charges them with less serious and I make a big deal and judge lowers it. The quick answer is they have to be booked on something, the cops write something down, but when they are arraigned it is the DA who decides.

From my own fucking hometown. I hope this fucker gets executed.

This is why you don't give fascists a platform, why you don't let them organize. The murdered man was a comrade of mine, in the same organization - the IWW. The second IWW member murdered by a right wing terrorist in public this year.

How long do weak ass liberals need to talk about their pathetic non-measures to deal with the fascist party while condemning radical self defense?

If you consider yourself a leftist, join an organization and buy a gun. These fascists will kill you first chance they get.

Wait, just 2nd degree?

@Tom_Winter

NBC News: James Alex Fields Jr., age 20, has been charged with second degree murder in connection with the car ramming in Charlottesvile.

It's easier to prove 2nd Degree than first (although he should probably be tried on 1st Degree and, in the alternative, 2nd degree, which is also allowed in most states.)

How long do weak ass liberals need to talk about their pathetic non-measures to deal with the fascist party while condemning radical self defense?

When they start getting affected by fascism. So either never or when they do it's far too late and people are already being murdered and carted off to camps.

So is this the same guy people found on Facebook earlier saying Trump should have been aborted?

I'm realizing that guys intent was to completely drive through that crowd. The damage would have been even worse if those other cars weren't there. Just simply insane.

Yeah seems pretty clear he wanted to ram through the entire crowd and couldn't see the cars in the crowd. Once he hit the cars he reversed to escape. Truly insane.

Top Bottom