• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump administration weighs cuts to Coast Guard & TSA to fund border wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoKKeR

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...0_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.24080d411b1a

Yes, you read that correctly.

The Trump administration, searching for money to build the president's planned multibillion-dollar border wall and crack down on illegal immigration, is weighing significant cuts to the Coast Guard, the Transportation Security Administration and other agencies focused on national security threats, according to a draft plan.

The proposal, drawn up by the Office of Management and Budget, also would slash the budget of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which provides disaster relief after hurricanes, tornadoes and other natural disasters. The Coast Guard's $9.1 billion budget in 2017 would be cut 14 percent to about $7.8 billion, while TSA and FEMA would be reduced about 11 percent each to $4.5 billion and $3.6 billion, respectively.

I'm at a loss for words.

Nabs

DouqEKK.gif

Beeks

Really doubling down on blocking land-based immigration by making it easier to sneak in via the air or sea.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They're never going to find that money and there's no way tax cuts for billionaires isn't higher on his list.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's not like the TSA is any good at their job to begin with.

Sadly all this probably means is that airport lines will take even longer.

"The safety added by the border wall will offset the safety subtracted by cutting funds for the Coast Guard. Pretty simple folks. Liberals just don't get it. Sad!"

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So in order to build this guy's ego with a monument to idiocracy, I'm going to have to wait longer at the airport. Great.

MindofKB

1) I thought Mexico was going to pay? Donny plz
2) I've gotten so many open containers of travel toothpaste through TSA that I don't think they will be effected at all.

You can just gut the TSA, that'd be fine with me. At least, the fake safety, keeping up appearances aspect of it I mean.

But gutting the Coast Guard, which does actual great rescue work and the like, in favor of a fucking brick wall.

That's ludicrous.

Alucrid

Banned
TSA cuts are

Training for the what’s known as the “armed pilot” program, begun after 9-11, would be eliminated at a savings of $20 million. The training was intended to prepare pilots and crew for the attempted armed takeover of an aircraft.

An additional $57 million would be saved by cutting a program that sends armed teams of highly-trained uniformed agents to sweep airports, train stations and bus terminals. Commonly known as the VIPR program (for Visible Intermodel Prevention and Response teams), they were deployed to Reagan National Airport, Dulles International Airport, Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport, Amtrak’s Union Station and subway stations to guard against terrorist attacks during President Trump’s inauguration.

The $45 million in grants that local law enforcement uses to patrol in and around airports also would be eliminated.

The fourth program slated for elimination uses specially trained TSA agents to watch passenger behavior in the airport, and particularly as fliers approach checkpoints, to single out those who appear to behave oddly.

Dishwalla

Banned
It's funny because the Coast Guard actually is fairly effective in stopping drugs from entering the U.S., at least more effective then the wall will be.

But what about Mexico? The Great Leader told us they would pay?

How are is fucking moronic supporters twisting this one? God I hope they all suffer to the fullest extent under every one of his policies. Fuck reaching out and understanding these ignorant racist fucks.

M.W.

Matt Damon needs to make a Mercuh Great Wall movie and use the proceeds to build this piece of shit.

I don't really care about cutting funds to TSA, there have been many reports that they don't actually increase safety in a meaningful amount , but I wish he wouldn't spend the money on something so ridiculous

Also...I thought Mexico was paying for the wall? I wonder why Donald would need to cut funds if they're paying...lol

E: so he's cutting funding to the practical aspects of the TSA...smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom