• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump administration weighs cuts to Coast Guard & TSA to fund border wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belfast

The TSA sucks, but yeah, let's cut its budget (and lots of jobs, even if the work is meaningless) and make it even less efficient. I'd rather he just cut it entirely.

But even then, don't most immigrants who come over and stay come on airplanes, through airports? Why even bother spending the time and money to dismantle one symbol of security theater just to build another one?

And let's not even get started on slashing the CG budget.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
TSA can be completely shut down for all I care. 9/11 is never going to happen again thanks to the simple concept of locked cockpit doors combined with memories of 9/11, and an individual plane seems like no larger a target to bomb than a sporting event or mall or even airport security checkpoint. Not saying there should be no security, but it could be done just like sport event security.

Shadybiz

Sölf;231666481 said:
So Mexico is not paying for the wall is all I am getting from this.

Mexico has been pretty adamant about it indeed. However, Trump will tell his followers "They will reimburse us for it later in some way," and they will take it as Bible truth...because they're fucking stupid.

shira

Can't wait till we found out that it's mostly "fence"

Also the Coast Guard doesn't do anything essential do they?

Village

So you want to... fight perceived vulnerabilities to your country...

By opening your country up to vulnerabilities.

Wat?

Ithil

"We're going to sell the lower half of the country to Mexico to pay for the wall on the Mexican border. This may affect the location of the wall somewhat".

JordanN

Banned
TSA can be completely shut down for all I care. 9/11 is never going to happen again thanks to the simple concept of locked cockpit doors combined with memories of 9/11, and an individual plane seems like no larger a target to bomb than a sporting event or mall or even airport security checkpoint. Not saying there should be no security, but it could be done just like sport event security.
I honestly think it could happen again.

9/11 happen the first time because all the warning signs were ignored. Trump, being the orange idiot he is, could ignore all security briefings giving terrorists a chance to strike.

You've got to be kidding me. The TSA? I already know he was to cut regulations on airplane safety. Like holy shit. Fuck these guys

Chococat

This one boggle me so much cause it is seemingly out of left field. Trump wants to stop "bad hombres" reducing the Coast Guards effectiveness? I think we all could agree the TSA needs tweaking in procedures. But the COAST GUARD?

Mind blown.

Ithil

The TSA sucks, but yeah, let's cut its budget (and lots of jobs, even if the work is meaningless) and make it even less efficient. I'd rather he just cut it entirely.

But even then, don't most immigrants who come over and stay come on airplanes, through airports? Why even bother spending the time and money to dismantle one symbol of security theater just to build another one?

And let's not even get started on slashing the CG budget.

The majority of illegal immigrants are people who come in like anyone else on airplanes, with student/work/travel visas, and stay after they expire. This idea of millions of people jumping the border like in a movie is a right wing fantasy.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Not to sound like an Infowarrior, but cutting practical aspects of TSA leading to another attack on US soil would just benefit Trump's administration if anything. Not that they don't seem to be passing whatever they want now, but Patriot Act 2.0 would probably be even more of a carte blanche.

sans_pants

avec_pénis

9/11 happen the first time because all the warning signs were ignored. Trump, being the orange idiot he is, could ignore all security briefings giving terrorists a chance to strike.

nah. 9/11 can never happen again because they took over plans with box cutters. they would have to sneak a bomb on a plane somehow and even then the people will go down in flames rather than allow the plane to be used as a missile

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
TSA cuts are

If we are going to treat our airports as if their under as big of threat of suicide bombers as Israel is, than we should follow Israeli example by valuing those as the most important protections for airport security. The security theater we put up front only creates an easy target for a suicide bomber to cause major damage before anyone can search them.

But America largely isn't at threat of suicide bombers. They're at threat of mass shooters outside of airports.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Trump wants a terror attack on US soil soooo baaaad...

DouqEKK.gif

Please don't normalise Kevin O'Leary, we Canadians are trying to avoid our own Trumpster fire.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I mean 9/11 as a hijacked plane flying into a skyscraper.

9/11 as a massive terrorist attack on american soil in general very much could happen again, just not by that method, TSA or not.

TSA I can understand. However, the Coast Guard actually does an important mission. Maybe his wall will just block off the coastline!

Lorcain

This is like something an executive coach would do as an ice breaker exercise. Ok, those were all good ideas, now let's spend the next 5 minutes coming up with the stupidest, most damaging idea you can imagine...go!

boingball

The wall will just be extended into the sea. No need for a coastal guard at all.
And the ban will just be extended to every country on earth, so no more international flights as well. No need for the TSA.

FyreWulff

I mean, I think the TSA was never needed and is obsolete because people will jump a hijacker before they can do anything, but it's pretty sad when you have to raid the rest of the defense budget for the most useless wall ever.

Thing is, most military budget is pork centric, meaning he's going to have to take easy job creation projects for Republican Senators and Reps and kill them to fund the wall.

Gonna be a lot easier without the coast guard around
#MakeCartelsGreatAgain

Why bother with a submarine. Just build a huge fuck off Spanish galleon with pirate flags and the wall border patrol agents will just have to watch it quietly sail by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom