• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxone Resolutiongate (Eurogamer)

Oh yeah and this one (same thing, just clarifying the earlier post):

I'm asking if people could conceive of a circumstance where the published specs might not tell the whole story on performance.

I had a hard time thinking of an answer to this back in June, and and even harder time now...

Biker19

Banned
1) The. Hardware. Is. Not. Equal. Period. 50% more CUs and over double the RAM bandwidth means that no matter how much the XDK improves, the PS4 will be more powerful.

2) Honestly only sort of true. If (1) is true (it is), and the hardware is similar (it is), then the gulf in performance is a known quantity. So it's not that the gap will widen because developers will get more power from PS4 than they do now, it's that they aren't getting as much from it now as they will eventually be able to. Yes it's a semantic argument, but it is important. We know the difference in hardware. But while the developers are still experiencing learning curves that difference isn't going to be fully realized.

There will not be parity. The PS4 is a lot more powerful and that's not going to change just because devs learn how to get past the eSRAM bottleneck. The gap will only get bigger as more games use GPU compute, since the PS4's advantage in compute is arguably bigger than the CU or ROP count.

Agreed. People that are expecting for parity to happen between PS4 & Xbox One multiplats like with most PS3 & Xbox 360 multiplats are in for a big surprise.

Rhindle

Yes, it is a problem when they are using there inside information as fact to shill disingenuous information about rival product.
There's nothing wrong with spinning things in favor of your product. That's what you and practically everyone else on this forum do day in and day out. You just take the information and spin with a grain of salt, and weigh it against all the other information and spin.

That said, if I were a MS person I'd just get the hell out of the power/resolution debates at this point. There;s nothing to be gained. The games will either improve going forward, or they won't.

cheezcake

Microsoft hung themselves out to dry here.

Okay their console is weaker, we knew this from the start, they knew there was nothing they could do about that.

They could have focused on demoing new gameplay possibilities involving Kinect or new Live/OS features, hell just focus on trying to show that you have the best games. Instead they chose to knowingly misinform their loyal fan base about the Xbox One's technical capabilities, to act is if their potential customers were idiots.

Everyone is now seeing through the bullshit and they're pissed. This resolution issue wouldn't even be an issue if Microsoft were just upfront about their systems capabilities from the start.

What an absolutely shocking turn of events. Klocker enters the fray to defend the FUD posts by an employee of his console manufacturer of choice. Do they pay you for this shit? I can't think of any other reason someone would defend the absolute misinformation that we've been fed from day one. Unless you're actually a sentient mushroom, in which case you'd love being kept in the dark and fed shit.
#dead

Sides hurt. Sogood.gif

Gator86

Im dumbfounded people are sympathizing with a snake oil salesman with a six figure salary trying to sell an underperforming product with false promises and misdirection.

Piggus

Fuck that noise.

He's using his position to communicate mistruths, half-truths, and flat out lies on an as-needed basis at the expense of gamers.

Fuck that guy.

Odds are that if he said what people actually want him to say (honest no spin answers) he'd get a pretty good scolding from the know-nothing suits in Redmond. :p He's in a shitty situation. But you're right that how he responded to certain things was not helpful to the Xbone.

MogCakes

What an absolutely shocking turn of events. Klocker enters the fray to defend the FUD posts by an employee of his console manufacturer of choice. Do they pay you for this shit? I can't think of any other reason someone would defend the absolute misinformation that we've been fed from day one. Unless you're actually a sentient mushroom, in which case you'd love being kept in the dark and fed shit.

He isn't defending Albert, he's just saying he appreciates him being here to interact, even if it's backfiring on him. Come on man, be civil.

You two do realize that without the internet most people even us dedicated fans on here would likely have to buy the consoles at launch (if we wanted to buy at launch) with so much less information on them going in right?

Why would you prefer to be less informed about an upcoming purchase that you have to live with for 5 - 8 years?

Neither my post nor Klocker's is meant to start any kind of argument. Back then, the tech to have an always-online console or completely negate physical media didn't exist, so times were simpler. There's no intent to belittle anyone.

brofist for the good old days. :)
Brofist.jpg

I saw it lol

I was hoping for an answer from Albert though!

That would be rich. I think the ESram in the XB1 might have potential to perform better than GDDR5 in some really obscure tiled rendering scenario but no idea how you make up the canyon that is the difference in the GPUs

Neither my post nor Klocker's is meant to start any kind of argument. Back then, the tech to have an always-online console or completely negate physical media didn't exist, so times were simpler. There's no intent to belittle anyone.

I get that. I just think it's not the internets fault. Ignorance of these types of issues and misinformation in the past was bliss as they say

I would agree that on the whole I think the wider access to information that we have presently likely leads to being more cynical because it trains you to look for bullshit

beast786

There's nothing wrong with spinning things in favor of your product. That's what you and practically everyone else on this forum do day in and day out. You just take the information and spin with a grain of salt, and weigh it against all the other information and spin.

That said, if I were a MS person I'd just get the hell out of the power/resolution debates at this point. There;s nothing to be gained. The games will either improve going forward, or they won't.

Do you not understand why people who claim insider and say false information get banned in GAF?

I don't claim to be insider when I give my opinion here in GAF. hence the discussion . he is using his position of power as insider to lie and spin. people are much more vulnerable to him than me.

Example.

today during xbox1 bf4 tournament we saw huge pop-ins on the ground. People were going back and forth about how broken the MP was. then. Dice LA dev chimed in and said that bug is now fixed. everyone then believed him and hell even mocked other posters who later complain about the pop in. it's now believed fact that the bug will or is already fixed by retail just because dev said it.

Udham

PR or no PR.
His words in his official capacity to be taken MIcrosoft's words.

All in all MS misunderstood power difference based on raw specs. Something which should have been done as early as Feb 20th.

It was more fun in the old days when we waited and found things out on our own or in little trickles or as we actually experienced the machines and decided our opinions with our own eyes when we got the machines home..

Bull.

Shit.

As a gamer who has been around for every console launch sinch the 2600, I can assure you, the old days sucked, and nobody had fun when they figured out that they fell for some slick marketing bullshit and bought the dud system of the generation, even if they had multiple consoles.

Having access to more real, factual information for consumers to make an informed purchase decision is ALWAYS better than the roll of the dice consumers had to do in the old days.

You asked what the chances were.

I'll be back. You're right, I should talk about it. But right now, still lots of info to come out. Once the dust settles, and all the information is out there, I'll address my comments.

Jesus dude, just give it up, there is nothing that you are going to reveal in the future that is going to make up the difference in power between the two systems. When the dust settles, thr PS4 will be the more powerful machine. We have already seen a difference in BF4 and COD. You can try to argue that the difference isn't huge, but the is a measureable difference in performance between the two systems. It doesn't make the XB1 a bad device, but just admit you were wrong and move on, people are not going to buy into any more bullshit and misinformation. You wanted an apology if there was no difference. Well there is a difference, 720p to 900p for BF4 with One missing AO, and 720p to 1080p for COD. We'll soon be able to compare the other 3rd party games, and it will not be favorable to XB1.

So please, just admit you were wrong. You can argue that the XB1 will h ave better exclusives, or that the Kinect will add incredible value, or that the multimedia functions will be better, but you cannot argue that the machines are "basically the same".

Edit: spelling, damn phone

Hey Albert if you're still there. What exactly did you mean when you said this (way back when)?

Doesn't that just sound like their balance push? Acknowledge that the PS4 does have better specs but also suggest that despite that the Xbox One is the more capable box because it's been balanced. So it would be more powerful in the end because of that.

So why do people get banned for posting misinformation here? Hmm... so that shouldn't apply to someone directly involved with making the console?

Pretty sure you've got that backwards. The rule should apply doubly so for people who know better.

FranXico

The weird part is, an overwhelming amount of people (including journalists) actually at the BF4 event in Stockholm said that the PS4 version clearly looked better in person. The Eurogamer article even points this out. (I say "overwhelming" because at least one said they were nearly indistinguishable, but we all know who that is [if you don't, just take a wild guess]).

Then all of these editorials come out from people who apparently weren't even there and they're all "well no biggy, it's not even noticeable, you'd have to be a pixel counter lol"

That user concludes with the following comment:
n6FyHEx.png

That's as close as it is going to get to calling out GiantBomb as Xbox fanboys.

Wille517

Neo Member
That would be rich. I think the ESram in the XB1 might have potential to perform better than GDDR5 in some really obscure tiled rendering scenario but no idea how you make up the canyon that is the difference in the GPUs
Theoretically you'd be correct it's maximized capability is great but they'd have need to put a metric shit ton more then 32Mb of it for it to make any kind of noticeable difference.

Bull.

Shit.

As a gamer who has been around for every console launch sinch the 2600, I can assure you, the old days sucked, and nobody had fun when they figured out that they fell for some slick marketing bullshit and bought the dud system of the generation, even if they had multiple consoles.

Having access to more real, factual information for consumers to make an informed purchase decision is ALWAYS better than the roll of the dice consumers had to do in the old days.

Preach brother! People who decry information overload weren't around when there was no information and you'd get hosed half the time when you'd rent a game or buy a console that was about to crash and burn.

Biker19

Banned
You can't be serious. The only reason he is backtracking now is probably because his bosses at EG are finally starting to notice how badly DF is making their whole organization look. He was probably called into a meeting and told to cut his shit out or else.

That's good news. They either need to stay on Richard, or replace him with someone else.

The scorn aimed at MS and Albert is well deserved. But when it comes down to it he is an employee doing his job. If the roles were reversed you would probably see the Sony insiders downplaying the differences in tech or try to push misinformation. I'm not defending Albert. I'm simply stating that the derision should be aimed at MS as an institution instead of the individuals who can't break from the corporate line unless they are willing to lose their jobs.

Edit:
Bull.

Shit.

THIS! Word for word I agree.

Rhindle

Do you not understand why people who claim insider and say false information get banned in GAF?

I don't claim to be insider when I give my opinion here in GAF. hence the discussion . he is using his position of power as insider to lie and spin. people are much more vulnerable to him than me.

Example.

today during xbox1 bf4 tournament we saw huge pop-ins on the ground. People were going back and forth about how broken the MP was. then. Dice LA dev chimed in and said that bug is now fixed. everyone then believed him and hell even mocked other posters who later complain about the pop in. it's not believed fact that the bug will or is already fixed by retail.
Well there's a big difference between "lie" and "spin."

I don't disagree with you if insiders are intentionally posting false information as fact. That 's different than stating an opinion or putting a positive spin on things. If anyone from MS or Dice or whoever has purpose "lied" about objective facts, then I stand corrected.

MogCakes

I get that. I just think it's not the internets fault. Ignorance of these types of issues and misinformation in the past was bliss as they say

I would agree that on the whole I think the wider access to information that we have presently likely leads to being more cynical because it trains you to look for bullshit

Definitely nobody's fault, just a result of the times, plus we were younger after all.

Bull.

Shit.

Yes it is, no doubt about it. But it's alright to be nostalgic about earlier times too. Though in your case, you've experienced more consoles than me so you're probably more cynical :p

Preach brother! People who decry information overload weren't around when there was no information and you'd get hosed half the time when you'd rent a game or buy a console that was about to crash and burn.

I can tell you with 100% certainty we weren't decrying info overload. Just being nostalgic.

beast786

Well there's a big difference between "lie" and "spin."

I don't disagree with you if insiders are intentionally posting false information as fact. That 's different than stating an opinion or putting a positive spin on things. If anyone from MS or Dice or whoever has purpose "lied" about objective facts, then I stand corrected.

I agree.

Albert had to know this was coming, right?

I mean, there's a few possibilities:

1) He didn't know it'd be 720p/1080p, even though devs have been saying that shit since E3. That means he was honestly out of the loop on what the hell is going on with 3rd parties and really not a useful source of information

2) He knew it was going to explode like this, and chose to make posts and statements like "We invented DirectX" and "Not more than 30%, no" to make him look insane later.

3) He thought somehow the discrepancy would be lessened by launch, or at least ignored. Which is more likely for his line of thought, but unlikely to actually work in 1080p as the rumors were bubbling for a while and he played dumb.

4) Or... ultimately, he's a PR account (Even though he said he isn't PR), as a Major Nelson Jr., and basically has to toe the company line, so he knew ultimately what he was being forced to say is an out-and-out lie.

So he was either out-of-the-loop, insane, foolish or a liar.

I'm still waiting for that list of Kinect voice commands that work in which countries...

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Mr.Penello,

Before you post again please do me a big favor. Go pack to every thread you've ever posted in and gauge how positive or negative the the mood was by the end if the thread. The only thread I can remember not ending in a more negative and vile mood than the moments before you posted, is the Kinect and Nu-Ad thread. What was the defining difference in that thread? Your last-ish post was very clearly coming solely from your own personal opinion, and you said you hoped that the Kinect and Nu-Ad plans never came to fruition. The thread then died a quiet death seeing as how you acknowledged a problem, and then admitted that it was a problem. I assumed you would try to do whatever you reasonably could after that to stop that program from happening.

My point being, if you're going to come in here, and you're not going to be completely genuine with us, you should just not post. You don't need to tell us you think we want to hear. What we want to hear is your absolutely honest thoughts and opinions. Completely disregarding your occupation.

~A poster who thinks being thick skinned and thick skulled can be interchangeable.

FranXico

The scorn aimed at MS [...] is well deserved.[...]

It's just a shame hardly any of it comes from the gaming press.
Back in 2006/2007 the press came down on Sony like there was no tomorrow, and for less trickery than Microsoft did this year.

I'm extremely disappointed that practically all major outlets are simply taking part of the farse, instead of fighting it like they did when the "villain" was Sony back then...

3) He thought somehow the discrepancy would be lessened by launch, or at least ignored.
To be fair it has been ignored by a lot of games press. First it was just rumors and speculation, then when it became fact (speaking about resolution differences mostly) it was downplayed by countless sites and games press 'personalities'. It still is.

Klocker

You two do realize that without the internet most people even us dedicated fans on here would likely have to buy the consoles at launch (if we wanted to buy at launch) with so much less information on them going in right?

Why would you prefer to be less informed about an upcoming purchase that you have to live with for 5 - 8 years?

nah no 5-8 years... just like any product, I'd make the best most informed decision I could based on my information gathering, buy it, try it and if it didn't live up to expectations trade it or sell it to someone else who wanted one and get something else.

I'm playing games with the thing not marrying it. ;)

It's not the internet's fault per se and I as am as watchful and alert to bullshit as anyone you meet, I also happen to be an optimist so I give people the benefit of the doubt.

That benefit of the doubt along WITH a healthy bullshit detector is what to me, has disappeared.. I understand why people and the dynamic has changed, I'm just saying it was more fun for all of us before full blown cynicism become "normal".

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Comment on the UI and kinect functionality?

Those discussions usually go pretty well although the whole representative UI video thing not so much I guess

That would be about their product. And don't tell me for a minute that they would be received pleasantly if they commented on a competitor.

beast786

Albert had to know this was coming, right?

I mean, there's a few possibilities:

1) He didn't know it'd be 720p/1080p, even though devs have been saying that shit since E3. That means he was honestly out of the loop on what the hell is going on with 3rd parties and really not a useful source of information

2) He knew it was going to explode like this, and chose to make posts and statements like "We invented DirectX" and "Not more than 30%, no" to make him look insane later.

3) He thought somehow the discrepancy would be lessened by launch, or at least ignored. Which is more likely for his line of thought, but unlikely to actually work in 1080p as the rumors were bubbling for a while and he played dumb.

4) Or... ultimately, he's a PR account (Even though he said he isn't PR), as a Major Nelson Jr., and basically has to toe the company line, so he knew ultimately what he was being forced to say is an out-and-out lie.

So he was either out-of-the-loop, insane, foolish or a liar.

I'm still waiting for that list of Kinect voice commands that work in which countries...

He is in direct contact with tech fellows and has played cod/bf4 on xb1 already: not out of the loop

Works in one of the high ranks in one of biggest company in the world: he is not insane

His post are very calculated and speaks of knowing great knowledge: he is not a fool

Mr.Penello,

Before you post again please do me a big favor. Go pack to every thread you've ever posted in and gauge how positive or negative the the mood was by the end if the thread.

Yup. Every time he's tried contributing, it basically is just inviting a ton of scrutiny and pretty much is almost like a beacon for CBOAT to spread some truthfacts.

I remember seeing a rumor a bit back that Cboat was Albert's alter-ego. I don't think that's true, but it's funny to image it. Kinda like Gollum/Smeagol.

He is in direct contact with tech fellows and has played cod/bf4 on xb1 already: not out of the loop

Works in one of the high ranks in one of biggest company in the world: he is not insane

His post are very calculated and speaks of knowing great knowledge: he is not a fool

I see you left out one... which leads to one conclusion.

The scorn aimed at MS and Albert is well deserved. But when it comes down to it he is an employee doing his job. If the roles were reversed you would probably see the Sony insiders downplaying the differences in tech or try to push misinformation. I'm not defending Albert. I'm simply stating that the derision should be aimed at MS as an institution instead of the individuals who can't break from the corporate line unless they are willing to lose their jobs.

So what?

If the situation was reversed, and we have insiders trying to feed us bullshit, we sling it back to them.

It doesn't matter if he did it on his own volition, or if his boss forced him here. If the former, then he's simply lying to us. If the latter, he's paid for it, so why should we give him a break?

Hoje0308

Banned
Aaron's tweet was technically correct. I think he thinks it doesn't really matter. As multiple journalists have reported, XB1 and PS4 games look nearly indistinguishable from each other.

Certainly MS should admit they have a less powerful console and move forward with what they do have. I think it would be more favorable to them.

Bullshit. The difference is noticeable not just in the SP of BF4, but have you seen the MP footage? X1 looks like garbage. But yeah, keep the wheels spinning and come up with another car analogy. "You see, if one car is using a certain kind of wax..."

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's just a shame hardly any of it comes from the gaming press.
Back in 2006/2007 the press came down on Sony like there was no tomorrow, and for less trickery than Microsoft did this year.

I'm extremely disappointed that practically all major outlets are simply taking part of the farse, instead of fighting it like they did when the "villain" was Sony back then...
Yeah, I'm genuinely surprised by this as it feels as if a lot of folks are actually defending Microsoft here.

nib95

Banned
nah no 5-8 years... just like any product, I'd make the best most informed decision I could based on my information gathering, buy it, try it and if it didn't live up to expectations trade it or sell it to someone else who wanted one and get something else.

I'm playing games with the thing not marrying it. ;)

It's not the internet's fault per se and I as am as watchful and alert to bullshit as anyone you meet, I also happen to be an optimist so I give people the benefit of the doubt.

That benefit of the doubt along with a healthy bullshit detector is what to me, has disappeared.. I understand why people and the dynamic has changed, I'm just saying it was more fun for all of us before full blown cynicism become normal.

All that's changed is people have more information available to them, are more educated about such subjects and have more avenues of communication. Why you'd miss the days where BS and PR nonsense ran amok far more flagrantly and without as much challenge is beyond me. Maybe Microsoft want to go back to the days of Blast Processing and Emotion Engine, as evident with their cloud claims and all the rest, but we gamers? We don't. We just want an honest account of what they're selling, so we can make an educated decision about what to purchase and what is best for our needs.

beast786

To be fair it has been ignored by a lot of games press. First it was just rumors and speculation, then when it became fact (speaking about resolution differences mostly) it was downplayed by countless sites and games press 'personalities'. It still is.

to be fair, we haven't seen a single review of comparison of final product by press. Right now they are stating personal opinions. I would say it's any issue when reviews will be out and difference in review scores will be without penalizing for obvious graphics differences or performances .

Top Bottom