• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X 1/48 Skell/Doll transformable figure available for preorder

TheFlow

Banned
Wow I'm gonna have to get this! I already collect Japanese action figures so I'm familiar w/ the market but I've never bought a model kit. Thanks to you guys posting in this thread I have the confidence to try building one. I also want to paint it so I guess I have some research regarding that to do. I like the suggestion of a matte or gloss clear coat, that and a black-wash might be a really cool look.

yea panel line and matte coat will make it look great already without paint.

Mechonis vs....Mechonis

1zBbX79m.jpg

WRTiGf8m.jpg

finished sword

LSFXIcNm.jpg

Boogiepop

Does this thing actually manage to hold together well? That's honestly why I'm at least currently done with Gunpla (well, at least when it comes to picking stuff up at a con or whatever and thus not carefully consulting GAF. Got a Unicorn MG a few years back, and it looks brilliant... but due to the horribly loose legs it's only currently standing through the power of intense prayer and suffering to get it in a pose it can hold, and it'll be needing intense glue or something if I ever need to move it).

That intense of a transformation function in a model kit sounds kind of worrying to me in that regards...

TheFlow

Banned
Does this thing actually manage to hold together well? That's honestly why I'm at least currently done with Gunpla (well, at least when it comes to picking stuff up at a con or whatever and thus not carefully consulting GAF. Got a Unicorn MG a few years back, and it looks brilliant... but due to the horribly loose legs it's only currently standing through the power of intense prayer and suffering to get it in a pose it can hold, and it'll be needing intense glue or something if I ever need to move it).

That intense of a transformation function in a model kit sounds kind of worrying to me in that regards...
The unicorn is very known for falling apart.

Visit the gundam thread and gunplay because a lot of gunpla are amazing. I have built more than a dozen

Yarbskoo

I haven't had any issues getting it to hold a pose, unless that pose requires the mostly useless stand to hold it up off the ground.

Boogiepop

The unicorn is very known for falling apart.

Visit the gundam thread and gunplay because a lot of gunpla are amazing. I have built more than a dozen
I probably will again at some point in the future, though honestly right now I don't have space anyway. But yeah, that thing kind of traumatized me for a while.
I actually got the MG Sengoku Astray this year thus breaking that hold, since it was likely my last time going to that con, and buying one had been a tradition up to that point. And it is nice, though I think if I ever do properly get back into them, I probably need better build habits. Like, I still primarily twist stuff out primarily, which kills my fingers and is probably blasphamy.

So yeah, maybe one day, but not yet...

TheFlow

Banned
I probably will again at some point in the future, though honestly right now I don't have space anyway. But yeah, that thing kind of traumatized me for a while.
I actually got the MG Sengoku Astray this year thus breaking that hold, since it was likely my last time going to that con, and buying one had been a tradition up to that point. And it is nice, though I think if I ever do properly get back into them, I probably need better build habits. Like, I still primarily twist stuff out primarily, which kills my fingers and is probably blasphamy.

So yeah, maybe one day, but not yet...
Twist? You never use your hands to remove pieces from the runner. Use hobby pliers and if you have no other choice toenail clippers. Go visit the gunpla reddit before you start the astray

Boogiepop

Twist? You never use your hands to remove pieces from the runner. Use hobby pliers and if you have no other choice toenail clippers. Go visit the gunpla reddit before you start the astray
Yeah, I know it's a bad habit/method (that has stuck around from my younger days with the much cheaper and bulkier Zoids stuff), so I'll need to break it when I next build one. I actually already built the Astray and for what it's worth it turned out fine.

As for on topic, this thing is damn tempting, but I don't think I'll jump on it for the time. But it is freaking cool to see this kind of merchandise get made.

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah, I know it's a bad habit/method (that has stuck around from my younger days with the much cheaper and bulkier Zoids stuff), so I'll need to break it when I next build one. I actually already built the Astray and for what it's worth it turned out fine.

As for on topic, this thing is damn tempting, but I don't think I'll jump on it for the time. But it is freaking cool to see this kind of merchandise get made.

all good. I gotcha

Top Bottom