• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
FADE IN

Shot of the new Hope's Peak High School, the skies are blue and there are flowers all around the school.

CUT TO
Shot of grown up Izuru getting ready to start his first day as a teacher in the new HPA. Suddenly, sounds of someone running can be heard. Izuru looks up and sees a distressed girl approaching him, the girl hurriedly asks him "Do you know where classroom 2-B is? It's my first day and I'm going to be late!" Izuru smiles gently and explains to the girl that he is the teacher of her class. The girl is visibly relieved and proceeds to introduce herself "Hello sensei, my name is Kibougiri! My dad is the SHSL Hope and my mom is the SHSL Detective! I'm the SHSL Lucky student this year!"

DR3: HOPE ARC END.

I guess I'm in the minority because I enjoyed the series for the most part.

As did most of us I'm willing to bet, but this isn't the sort of story where the early episodes still stand strong on their own. After you see the outcome (or lack) of everything the early episodes had been building towards, it poisons the well.

Oh man, reading those reactions in here makes me feel sad and ashamed because I loved every single darn minute of Hope side lol I know I'm easy to please but I smiled all the way through it. Now's not the time to post my reaction :p

FluxWaveZ

the asahina death fakeout and the twilight syndrome murder having no effect on class 77 were two pretty big red flags early on

Was really hoping that Asahina fake-out was going to lead to some sort of payoff eventually. But nah, it was just a lazy narrative device used purely for cheap misdirection that the anime used several other times because it lacked any meaningful means to build a proper sense of suspense and mystery.

Oh man, reading those reactions in here makes me feel sad and ashamed because I loved every single darn minute of it lol I know I'm easy to please but I smiled all the way through it. Now's not the time to post my reaction :p

Go ahead and post it. There's no requirement to fit in with the mood of the thread and you aren't the only person to like it.

Oh man, reading those reactions in here makes me feel sad and ashamed because I loved every single darn minute of Hope side lol I know I'm easy to please but I smiled all the way through it. Now's not the time to post my reaction :p

Please post! I was born to drag this show, but the more perspective, the better! Maybe it will make others appreciate an aspect they didn't before, so post away!

PK Gaming

FADE IN

Shot of the new Hope's Peak High School, the skies are blue and there are flowers all around the school.

CUT TO
Shot of grown up Izuru getting ready to start his first day as a teacher in the new HPA. Suddenly, sounds of someone running can be heard. Izuru looks up and sees a distressed girl approaching him, the girl hurriedly asks him "Do you know where classroom 2-B is? It's my first day and I'm going to be late!" Izuru smiles gently and explains to the girl that he is the teacher of her class. The girl is visibly relieved and proceeds to introduce herself "Hello sensei, my name is Kibougiri! My dad is the SHSL Hope and my mom is the SHSL Detective! I'm the SHSL Lucky student this year!"

eIVFJ7b.png

FADE IN

CUT TO

They should have, add in a scene of hajikai because Hajime used his ultimate ultimate powers to create a child using her dna and his dna. Why not?

Ugh....that ending. Honestly feels like it was a waste of an episode and Future 12 should've had them both combined.

As a whole, I did enjoy the series, though.

I liked how they
connected Class 77 Chiaki with AI Chiaki.

I didn't care for
the one liner on how Kirigiri is still alive.

And why is everyone
still wearing the same exact shit for the reopening of HPA?

And Hagakure's gonna Hagakure.:)

Also why was
the Ultimate Imposter in the Togami outfit when they were fighting but in the HPA uniform when they were all talking to Ryota?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I liked AI Chiaki's conception. That was cool.

I'll miss you, Danganronpa.

Danganronpa is dead. Long live Danganronpa!

UberTag

Also why was
the Ultimate Imposter in the Togami outfit when they were fighting but in the HPA uniform when they were all talking to Ryota?
Imposter kept changing his look throughout the entire episode. We got Twogami, Ryota's stand-in and his new guise as Kyofake Twonakata. It was a grand 'ole Ultimate Imposter showcase.

Niks

That was..... dumb... but it was fun! (also applies to the whole v3 anime).

Izuru Naegi nod was nice, same with Nagito.
Naegi becoming headmaster with waifu Kirigiri at his side fits. all is well.

JerkShep

Hope

Wait how the fuck
Fuyuhiko has his eye wound that he acquired in a fucking virtual space videogame?
Whaaaat.

I am not even that big of a fan of Danganronpa 2 but it's a travesty how much they oversimplified it and removed any consequences of the "darker" aspects of it.

Hope

Wait how the fuck
Fuyuhiko has his eye wound that he acquired in a fucking virtual space videogame?
Whaaaat.

I am not even that big of a fan of Danganronpa 2 but it's a travesty how much they oversimplified it and removed any consequences of the "darker" aspects of it.

the remnants of despair allegedly mutiliated themselves to craft junko onto their bodies, naegi said one of them even switched out their eye so the anime basically confirms that his eye injury in the virtual world is in fact hinting at the fact he replaced one of his eyes with Juunko's

Unless d3 retconned that element of dr2's "plot"

FluxWaveZ

Hope

Wait how the fuck
Whaaaat.

There are a lot of things wrong with this episode and the anime as a whole, but I don't think this is one of them. Weren't there several previous implications that the area
where Fuyuhiko's eye got damaged in the NWP was the same spot he had incurred damage in the real world? Don't recall from where, but I also remember speculation that it was a spot where he might have had Junko's eye transplanted.

Lusankya

Hope

Wait how the fuck
Whaaaat.

Isn't it from his time they became despair and he removed his eye for Junko's? Same with Nagito's hand.

JerkShep

There are a lot of things wrong with this episode and the anime as a whole, but I don't think this is one of them. Weren't there several previous implications that the area
where Fuyuhiko's eye got damaged in the NWP was the same spot he had incurred damage in the real world? Don't recall from where, but I also remember speculation that it was a spot where he might have had Junko's eye transplanted.

I mean I guess you could speculate that it was the case but is seems very convenient.
Look everyone is exactly the same as in the end of D2 except Nagito's hand. That paragraph in Dnganronpa 2 implied way deeper and more disturbing stuff than "Nagito stole Junko's hand and Gangster guy stole her eyes"
Updated designs would have gone a long way to show at least some consequences on the cast

This feels appropiate.
The whole plot feels phoned on when considering the ending, even if the first half of the anime was strong. It wouldn't surprise me that Kodaka only made this because higher ups told him to cede to fans and write a conclusion to the current story before V3, but the tone shift between this and the rest of the series is jarring.

Wait how the fuck
Whaaaat.

It was confirmed on the first episode of this series, as Fuyuhiko's design as a Remnant included a Golden eyepatch.

TWILT

Banned
Hope

I didn't hate the finale as much as others did, but I can kind of see why.

+I am biased as fuck when I say this, but there was not much they could do to save DR3 for me, so Kyoko coming back makes me happy. :p
+I really liked Hajime talking here. Shows how much he's changed/grown since the events of DR2. The eyes were a nice touch too.
+While EVERYONE (bar Chiaki obv) coming back was kind of much, I did really enjoy seeing them to do their thing again. I loved it when Imposter was dressing up as Yu Narukami. It was nice to see Ibuki rocking out again too.
+Related to the above point, but I loved Nagito fanboying over Makoto so much haha.
+Yu Narukami's new suit is sweet.
+The fanservice in general was really fun.
+All in all, I enjoy happy endings.

-Makoto kinda didn't really do anything at all at the end, huh. It was basically just Hajime's time to shine. Him becoming the new headmaster is kind of a fitting end for him, but it didn't feel like he earned it by the end. Also, no double teamup :(
-Like I said, ALL the remnants coming back (and oddly besides Fuyuhiko and Nagito, they look...fine with their DR2 designs) feels so...eh? Like if it was just Hajime + Fuyuhiko/Akane/Sonia/Soda, I can buy that, but EVERYONE? Ehhh, I liked it better in DR2 where everything was a bit more ambiguous that they would come back. Also, while
-Mitarai was a such lame and overall, weak character. Really shouldn't have been the final obstacle in the Hope's Peak arc.

All in all, I enjoyed it for what it was. It was dumb, but at least it was the fun kind of dumb.

That said, pls save us V3

Hope

LMAO, that was pretty bad.

The DR2 cast having to suffer no consequences and being almost completely absolved is awful. I can see how people enjoyed the cloyingly saccharine fanservice, and it was sort of fun, but it did not at all feel satisfying for me considering what we know from DR2.

Kyoko gets to live, but most everyone knew that was happening. And actually, I don't mind all of the DR1 survivors living. I just wish they hadn't teased their deaths in such ridiculously cheap ways.

Future 12 and the end of Despair were so bad that I was kinda prepared for this sort of ending.

Also, I guess the 13th Branch Head thing was just a massive red herring? Otherwise I'm not sure why they didn't just have Hiro, Hina or Makoto be the head of that branch.

Disappointing anime, although mostly the ending. I think it had a good first half, but fumbled so hard in the back end. It really does feel like Kodaka squeezed this out in order to appease the higher ups so he could focus on what he really wanted to write (NDRV3).

Whatever, bring on V3.

The anime certainly had its highs and lows, but overall I'm content with the way it ended. Some of the specifics that led to the conclusion were less than stellar, but there were some good aspects too. (Juzo and Seiko especially, they're pretty great IMO. Chisa was cool also, though they sorta dropped the ball with her towards the end. Ryota however might have snatched the crown of worst DR character.)

I'm very glad that the DR2 cast get their chance at atonement. It might be corny to some, but it's the ending I wanted ever since I played the game. Also, thank goodness Kyoko is alive. I knew they couldn't play her off like that.

I'm definitely ready for the reboot now though. It'll be nice to start fresh.

PaulBizkit

Well, the last episode sucked. At least the first part.

Where did Hajime and the others come from?? Why did they appear right there at that time?? Did Togami bring them??

If that was the case, then they got cured from the despair (ending of DR2) BEFORE future arc started?

---

Anyways, the later part was great.
Chiaki's monologue was great
and
Kirigiri being alive
was somewhat surprising.

The very last segment with
Kirigiri saying "they are waiting for you, headmaster" to makoto
made me feel like the Hope's Peak saga is truly over.

This Danganronpa 3 anime was a VERY ambitious project. I mean, wrapping everything up while trying to make sense out of plot points that were never meant to make sense was VERY difficult task. Specially after DR2, which is basically the Empire Strikes Back of Danganronpa.

But I think they somewhat pulled it off.
What i think was missing from DR3 was the sense of scope that was very well achieved in Ultra Despair Girls: the WORLD is in despair, people killing each other, monokumas roaming every street, explosions, wars. It seemed like it was waaay worse than a zombie apocalypse.

---

Is it me? or
having ALL the characters from DR2 (except for Chiaki) making a comeback
make DR2 feel pointless? It's like
all the killings were in vain. It would've been better if only the survivors returned...

FluxWaveZ

I'm very glad that the DR2 cast get their chance at atonement. It might be corny to some, but it's the ending I wanted ever since I played the game. Also, thank goodness Kyoko is alive. I knew they couldn't play her off like that.

The meaning and significance behind the entirety of Danganronpa 2's conflict and character arcs are completely null and void thanks to Danganronpa 3. There is no tale of sacrifice or even redemption, because any bit of agency they had in what they did was removed thanks to their origin story.

If I went back to DR2 and actively thought of Danganronpa 3 for context instead of taking the whole thing in isolation, the story would be outright ruined for me.

The more you think about DR3 and some events in DR2, the less sense the latter even makes.

The meaning and significance behind the entirety of Danganronpa 2's conflict and character arcs are completely null and void thanks to Danganronpa 3. There is no tale of sacrifice or even redemption, because any bit of agency they had in what they did was removed thanks to their origin story.

If I went back to DR2 and actively thought of Danganronpa 3 for context instead of taking the whole thing in isolation, the story would be outright ruined for me.
That still doesn't change how I feel about their outcome.

The progression of DR3 is not what I would of liked overall, but as far as a conclusion to the story, I can accept it.

FluxWaveZ

That still doesn't change how I feel about their outcome.

The progression of DR3 is not what I would of liked overall, but as far as a conclusion to the story, I can accept it.

Yeah, that's totally fine, but what I feel is that even the word "atonement" for the DR2 cast is a misnomer given everything we know now. I guess that's somewhat semantic but, to me, it would have been way more satisfying if they had actually been awful criminals who decided to fight against their own darkness, despite their past, instead of people who were good all along doing good things again because the NWP worked without a hitch.

I actually liked Hope Side quite a bit. It was a little hokey and it tried to wrap things up a little too nicely, but I am glad that I predicted that the medicine was designed to counter-act the poison. I am a little sad though that Nagito didn't turn out to be anything of any significance. Hell, they couldn't even add a line about how excited he was to see two hopes clashing. I guess I really did expect more out of this anime than I should have.

Ultimately, I think that DR3 is an overall "good" show. Not without its faults of course. But ultimately too, I think that there are some nigh-objective flaws to it. The brainwashing thing absolutely takes away the punch of the characters being villains. At the very least, 77-B should have fallen to despair because they were not strong enough to overcome it, not because their brains were overwritten.

IMO, if you can do a Plinkett-like analysis of a show, movie, or video game and come up with a laundry list of ways to make it work, you may have gone too far in some places.

Mukuro Ikusaba, the 16th student, lying hidden in this school. The one they call the Ultimate Despair... she's a funnier character than we've ever had. Watch out for her.

if anything, dr3 makes me like UDG more because every time toko and komaru showed up i was like "fuckin yeah" and hopeman gun aside Monoca fucking off into space was the best part of the whole thing

Drago

Kyoko gets to live, but most everyone knew that was happening. And actually, I don't mind all of the DR1 survivors living. I just wish they hadn't teased their deaths in such ridiculously cheap ways.
I think the reason why this annoys me so much is that
LITERALLY everyone else died, except important rival character Munakata (who was pointless as fuck in the grand scheme of things... if he had died too, almost nothing would change, when it comes to the ending anyway) and Mitarai who is a necessary character to have for the finale. It's extremely blatant plot armor and it's so cheap, like jesus not a single other FF member could survive this? Cmon...

Not that I want them to die but if they're gonna be in a killing game I'd like the odds to seem somewhat fair. It would be way more acceptable to me if there were also 2 or 3 other FF survivors mixed in.

Boy that ending was stupid.

But Danganronpa is stupid so it's great. The anime is a lot better than people are saying it. It's a good show to turn your brain off for, just like the game.

I think the reason why this annoys me so much is that
LITERALLY everyone else died, except important rival character Munakata (who was pointless as fuck in the grand scheme of things... if he had died too, almost nothing would change, when it comes to the ending anyway) and Mitarai who is a necessary character to have for the finale. It's extremely blatant plot armor and it's so cheap, like jesus not a single other FF member could survive this? Cmon...

Not that I want them to die but if they're gonna be in a killing game I'd like the odds to seem somewhat fair.

That to me is a fatal flaw of the story, and is a flaw UDG had. While UDG stupidly overspared in a lot of places, Asahina's brother and Chihiro's father were just cannon fodder. They died almost right away. It'd have been cool if they had Seiko survive at least.

But, I am satisfied that Seiko's arc paid off.

UberTag

As much as I didn't care for seeing the consequences of DR2 white-washed, I did appreciate the fact that they doled a little credit Mikan's way for the 11th hour Kirigiri revival.

Granted, most of the credit clearly goes to Seiko for perfecting her anti-venom as a pre-emptive measure after failing with Bandai and to Kyoko herself for having the wherewithal to ID the medicine and use it but at least giving Mikan the props for bringing her back from her near-death state helps to undo some of the damage I felt her character had sustained in the Despair arc.

Yeah, that's totally fine, but what I feel is that even the word "atonement" for the DR2 cast is a misnomer given everything we know now. I guess that's somewhat semantic but, to me, it would have been way more satisfying if they had actually been awful criminals who decided to fight against their own darkness, despite their past, instead of people who were good all along doing good things again because the NWP worked without a hitch.
I understand that, but as far as I was concerned, I never really thought of the cast of DR2 as criminals, even after they were revealed to be Despair. I've always attributed their post tragedy actions to Junko. So whether their fall was through brainwashing (which is lame, but after reading DR0, was something I expected to play a part) or through other means, I always considered them to be victims. You're right about atonement probably being the wrong thing to call it, but DR has some very skewed ways of interpreting the human condition.

It might be a slight overdose of "happily ever after", but considering the extreme depths this world of DR has gone in the opposite direction, I'm okay with it. I do hope for a more nuanced presentation of these themes in NDR3 though.

Breads

Banned
Caught future 12 and hope.

Boy. That shit was dumb.

What happened. How did it go so wrong.

At least hope had a few fun scenes in it.

Soriku

Told y'all that
Kirigiri wasn't dead and that Nagito wasn't behind anything.

Not gonna lie, I liked this episode for the Class 77 hype. The fight scene got a couple laughs out of me. The ending was just your generic anime happy ending, something something about bonds and friendship and eating lots of food, but what are you gonna do? At least on the surface...

Is the DR2 cast even well off? They protected the FF with that video, but now the rest of the world will see continue to see them as the bad guys. Realistically, isn't their future fucked? I'd like to see any of them in a job interview...who the hell is going to work with a REMNANT OF DESPAIR?

Munakata...dude should just kill himself, he pretty much lost everything minus a hopeful future lmao.

Finally, are those soldiers that watched the Hope video just mindfucked now? Cuz I'm pretty sure there's no reversal video or method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom