• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Episode Hope

I...
I enjoyed that a lot. It was nonsensical, created more plot problems, acted as a culmination of all the series-ruining retcons, but was a bunch of stupid fun. It was never going to have a good ending with all the shit that led up to so this is probably the best way they could've done it.

I pretty much have to agree with this sentiment. From a writing perspective it was god-awful, but it was a lot of fun. Those 24 minutes just flew by.

i just hope when funimation do release it on blu-ray over here they put like half and half on 1 disc with an option to watch in broadcast order instead of having to switch discs every episode

Unfortunately, I don't think they will. In fact, I believe I read that the initial Japanese blu-rays were split by despair and future and not in broadcast order. :/

i just hope when funimation do release it on blu-ray over here they put like half and half on 1 disc with an option to watch in broadcast order instead of having to switch discs every episode

lol, they won't
they didn't do that with the ultimate haruhi collection they just released, they wouldn't do this for danganronpa

honestly the best thing they could do is do the first 12 episodes (6 of future and despair) in one set and release the next 12 in another set
but i expect they'll just release all of future in one set and all of despair in another

Unfortunately, I don't think they will. In fact, I believe I read that the initial Japanese blu-rays were split by despair and future and not in broadcast order. :/

only the dvds are released by despair and future in like 2 episodes each
the blu-rays are released in 6 episodes sets with 3 episodes of despair and future in each set
i'm honestly interested if we get a director's cut of hope like how the first anime had a director's cut of the final episode

JulianImp

I pretty much have to agree with this sentiment. From a writing perspective it was god-awful, but it was a lot of fun. Those 24 minutes just flew by.

That's my problem when a series does dumb stuff just for the sake of saying "Hey, here're the same old characters you know and love doing exactly the same thing all over again! Feeling nostalgic yet?". I liked the DR2 characters and still haven't had a chance to watch the final episode (dang 25 KBps internet...), but couldn't they at least have shown
the 77th class with more recent designs, rather than going the easy way out of recycling their old appearances from DR2? We even had a glimpse into their appearance as Remnants of Despair a couple times!

Upholding a status quo that was already in pieces sounds like awful writing for the sake of senseless fanservice... but then again, Despair Side had already shown us that
everyone in the 77th class was good all along
, so I guess my expectations of seeing any kind of character development for them (except for Hajime, I guess?) were obviously going to be let down. As it is, the show probably looks unappealing as hell to anyone who doesn't know DR2, and for those of us that do it's still 50% awful writing coupled with 50% generic-as-hell fanservice.

Just give me some OVA about seeing
the 77th class act the same way they did back at the start of DR2
, rather than hijacking the ending with that crap. I like the series and characters quite a bit, but that doesn't stop me from stepping back when a series attempts to bank so heavily into nostalgia that it throws any pretense of making sense (even for a series as wacky as DR) out the window.

lol, they won't
they didn't do that with the ultimate haruhi collection they just released, they wouldn't do this for danganronpa

honestly the best thing they could do is do the first 12 episodes (6 of future and despair) in one set and release the next 12 in another set
but i expect they'll just release all of future in one set and all of despair in another

I absolutely believe they'll sell them by Side/Arc. Judging from the way they've numbered it on the website, that means that one set is likely going to have Despair 1-11 + Hope, which is laughably stupid. Hopefully I'm wrong and they at least stick that with the Future episodes.

only the dvds are released by despair and future in like 2 episodes each
the blu-rays are released in 6 episodes sets with 3 episodes of despair and future in each set
i'm honestly interested if we get a director's cut of hope like how the first anime had a director's cut of the final episode

Thanks for the correction. I dunno if we'll get a director's cut. Not sure if there's really that much extra to see other than maybe a Monaca scene. I guess there's always more DR2 fanservice they could cram in there.

FStubbs

Exclusive to dvd/blu-ray:

Chiaki was the 13th division head all along, is still alive, and gives Hajime a big hug at the end of the Hope arc.

SephLuis

Exclusive to dvd/blu-ray:

Chiaki was the 13th division head all along, is still alive, and gives Hajime a big hug at the end of the Hope arc.

I was fully expecting
Hajime coming with an explanation how he created an artificial body for her AI or how Chiaki was alive. It's stupid, but remember it's DG

Also the ending was
backpedal everything. I was happy seeing 77th class but the game made it clear their bodies weren't intact when they were despairs. Also Kirigiri surviving was a happy twist out of the writer's ass. Still happy though and I appreciate it.

Now this makes me kinda worried for the new game.
DG1, my favorite game until now, was very focused on overcoming despair in a life or death situation. You rooted for some characters because you never knew how bad they could end up. No make-overs, it was everything done.

DG2 got back pedaled thanks to DG3 ending. DG2 was where they tried to make everything more dark by explaining what happened to the world. Even the characters themselves had dark pasts and no one in there was innocent. They failed in some moments but it was where they wanted to use the characters to highlight how fucked up the world was. Back pedaling that in the ending of DG3 doesn't make me confortable that they will tackle those heavy themes again.

UDG I played in japanese and my understanding isn't perfect, but it had some great moments in there, though in a sense of possible consequences of Koharu's action and manipulation rather than something that already happened and people needed to deal with consequences.

I just hope that DG3 keeps that idea that hope is initially lost and you have to fight hard for it. And that this fight has to be harsh.

I realize I may sound like Nagito now so I better go to bed

Just watched it, I really liked it. Here are the main reasons why:

I feel like the scene I'm the first half of 77 fighting the brainwashed soldiers is one of the rare time these characters actually looked like ultimates. It was a really well made scene.

I never much cared for Chiaki, but the ending with her and Hajime was actually pretty effective for me. Specifically how she was the administrator in the game because everyone missed her, which really works thanks to Despair. Actually retroactively made me appreciate the Despair arc a little bit.

I kind of feel like this series needed a happy ending. However my one complaint is that Kyoko should have stayed dead. That crossed the line a bit even if we suspected it.

and really the biggest issue is the fact that Tengan's motive is still kind of lame. I feel like we must be missing something. But like I said, he didn't know Mitarai had the hope video. This was a way to force him to make one (which he must have figured would be difficult considering the guilt Mitarai feels over his Anime)

Overall I really enjoyed that ending. But yall probably could have guessed that. Going to read the comments from the last few pages and try not to be bummed by the "Danganronpa is trash, Kodaka is a hack, Anime is ruined" posts.

FStubbs

Just watched it, I really liked it. Here are the main reasons why:

I feel like the scene I'm the first half of 77 fighting the brainwashed soldiers is one of the rare time these characters actually looked like ultimates. It was a really well made scene.

I never much cared for Chiaki, but the ending with her and Hajime was actually pretty effective for me. Specifically how she was the administrator in the game because everyone missed her, which really works thanks to Despair. Actually retroactively made me appreciate the Despair arc a little bit.

I kind of feel like this series needed a happy ending. However my one complaint is that Kyoko should have stayed dead. That crossed the line a bit even if we suspected it.

and really the biggest issue is the fact that Tengan's motive is still kind of lame. I feel like we must be missing something. But like I said, he didn't know Mitarai had the hope video. This was a way to force him to make one (which he must have figured would be difficult considering the guilt Mitarai feels over his Anime)

Overall I really enjoyed that ending. But yall probably could have guessed that. Going to read the comments from the last few pages and try not to be bummed by the "Danganronpa is trash, Kodaka is a hack, Anime is ruined" posts.

Though this is something I implied, two sentences would make Tengan's entire motive almost make sense:

"After awhile, he saw how violent, insane, and ... full of despair the Future Foundation had become. And he decided the only way to solve this problem was to excise the whole lot of them and start over with the people he felt still had the possibility of hope."

After watching all the episodes I agree. The only things I didn't like were Munakata losing it so easily,
Kirigiri being revived (even if I liked her)
and of course the main thing being brainwashing the despairs. Otherwise I enjoyed it alot and am happy with it. The finale was awesome imo. Glad it turned out that way.
WTF at not using the despair designs tho.

Totally agree with how you feel.

A couple of things I want to add are:

I think it really is great that Makoto didn't stop Mitarai in the end. It was the remnants of despair that he gambled and got in trouble for saving that did it. That's cool.

Also even if they are all dead D3 added some cool characters to the series. I even liked Munakata at the end.

I agree more Nagito would have been good.

Wait

Why did Mitarai have an NG code

Why did Mitarai have an NG code that meant that he couldn't do the ONE thing that the game was created to accomplish

They didn't even explain that! I was teetering on Tengan's plan being shit but I was holding out hope that they even TRIED to make an excuse, like "it was meant for Hagakure, but he wasn't here, and the game wouldn't run if everyone didn't have an NG code"

I think that's exactly what it is though.

Though this is something I implied, two sentences would make Tengan's entire motive almost make sense:

"After awhile, he saw how violent, insane, and ... full of despair the Future Foundation had become. And he decided the only way to solve this problem was to excise the whole lot of them and start over with the people he felt still had the possibility of hope."

Yes this is true, I really think that angle instead would have gone a long way.

Go ahead and post it. There's no requirement to fit in with the mood of the thread and you aren't the only person to like it.
Please post! I was born to drag this show, but the more perspective, the better! Maybe it will make others appreciate an aspect they didn't before, so post away!
You guys are right. After all, this board is full of people who respect other people's opinions!

BEWARE: fanboy time

tumblr_inline_muew010ONO1rctz4p.png

h o p e

Awww Hajime cares for Chisa too :) OMG so everyone is indeed alive?! YEEEEES NAGITO AND HIS ROBOTIC HAND. If I wrote about every single of these scenes it would really fill the page but I just LOVED every single one of them. Right, Ryota recognizes Hajime as Izuru. Awww all his classmates. Sure, Ryota didn't form a bond with any of them (except maybe Imposter) but they all shared the same problem of making mistakes and being responsible for the despair in the world, so it's nice that they're the ones smacking some sense into Ryota instead of Naegi.

Awww all of the DR2 guys are talking with sprites from the game! I'm enjoying this :) Gotta love how they kept Naegi out of this and how the DR2 cast stole the scene, I guess all this wait was worth it after all :p Ohh yeah, sure we didn't get any double "sore wa chigau zo!" but I'm fine with this. Hahaha Nagito fangirling over Naegi is great. So nice from the 77th class taking the blame for Tengan's whole mess. So that's how AI Chiaki was made, I'm still sad that Chiaki died and there's no sign of the AI Chiaki surviving somewhere else but that was a nice convo :) Awww Munakata is wearing Chisa's old coat. Lmao oh god, I 'love' how that random and last-minute conversation was made to explain Kirigiri's return (Mikan: yeah I revived someone!) I gotta say I didn't care about Makoto and Kirigir but that did make me smile a lot lol Hahaha that ending was funny/great, is Makoto sitting on the same desk from DR1?

So, overall I can say I loved this episode, but I definitely understand people's issues with it. Things like
the 77th class having their DR2 clothes despite only using them for like 6 months in the actual timeline and being captured with Ultimate Despair clothing, the 77th class not really showing any kind of mutilation over their bodies (LAME that only Nagito and Fuyuhiko actually took some parts of Junko's body), the 77th not really showing some remorse about their actions despite awakening as Ultimate Despairs and learning about Chiaki's death and the overall feeling of 'happyness' in the episode (tho what Sonia and Imposter say in the episode makes me think sometime has passed for them to deal with it), Kirigiri being alive with such a throw-away explanation (should have remained dead :p), no resolution to UDG stuff :(, even if we ignore that they're not that mad that they killed each other in the virtual world, Nagito hanging out with them like that was weird, no double sore wa chigau zo!, Munakata's resolution isn't that satisfying, and the DR3 characters didn't end up being important (lmao Miaya and Bandai) cept for best characters Seiko and Koichi, the amount of fanservice; things like the 16th participant, the 13th brand leader, dead guards and explanations of details ended up being useless/not answered etc.
Wowza that's a lot of problemas!

tumblr_nhawfdOumS1tmnnqxo1_500.gif

Still, shoving the fanservice aside,
I did love the 77th confronting Ryota as said in my reaction, since if any character has deal through the same kind of thing and can understand Ryota's problem of not being strong, it's them. Them taking the blame for the incident was great as well, proving Makoto was definitely right after all and also ends up being as important as them in the finale since it's hope that lead them to where they are now as said by Byakuya. And I can accept the explanation of AI Chiaki (still doesn't really clear Chihiro's connection), too bad we didn't get Robochiaki.
I can see why people say this episode hurts DR2 and
the killing game being pointless
but if this was really going to end up being the last episode of all these characters, then I don't mind ending it like this.
(Hmmm, maybe more people would accept it if it was only the DR2 survivors + Nagito saving the day and then returning to Jabberwock Island only to find the rest alive and then it cuts to the credits? That would have been cool too, Sonia only got few lines :( )

All in all, I would say DR3 was dissapointing in a looooot of things, specially
the brainwashing :/
, but I did enjoyed being here with you guys and reading all those crazy (and probably better than the final product haha) theories and hidden references. This was a long ride, but thanks for everything!

EmiPrime

The 77th class being wide eyed, happy-go-lucky, wearing the same clothes, having identical bodies (Fuyuhiko and Nagito aside) and having the same personality as before they became the despairs was creatively bankrupt. It ruins DR2 and the final dilemma of Hajime and the other survivors pressing shutdown to save the lives of the dead classmates but potentially staying a ROD or choosing to graduate but keeping their memories from the simulation, becoming good people and leaving the dead to rot in a permanent coma state.

DR3 erases the consequences of that choice and absolves them of guilt for what they did as ROD with the lazy brainwashing explanation. Tengan's idiotic plan aside (as if he would need to go through the trouble of a killing game to manipulate a wet blanket like Mitarai!) DR3's greatest sin is that it completely trashes DR2.

BTA

It's been weird to be in Japan while this was airing because I was shopping today
and ended up buying the themes on CD because I'm weak
and saw merch. Of Bandai. Pins and such, as if he was just another member of the cast that you'd want merch of. Huh.

That would be smart if it came out when things started airing, but this stuff is new. I wonder how much that'll sell...

If there's one thing im glad about its that the Great Brozu was indeed a great bro. The muscle bro in the school council is still the one outlier, dude was a savage.

Hope muscle bro in V3 lives up to his great brodecessors.

Hope
In short, it was incredibly entertaining but shat on the significance of anything in DR2 and perhaps DR1. That said, DR3 as a whole fucked up incredibly, so embracing the bullshit it introduced and make something entertaining about it was probably the best way to go.

The whole DR2 class waking up was bullshit. I can soooooooort of accept the "MUH FUTURE" deus ex machina of DR2, even though I still think that the best way to end it would be to have Hinata be the world's hope by his sacrifice during that graduate/suspend dilemma, but "ha ha all your sacrifices and regrets from the DR2 killing game are for naught now since you woke up and are bestest of friends even though you literally fucking murdered each other" is just one of the biggest wet fart endings possible. At least, DR3 could have given us an explanation of Izuru implementing a secret feature that would provide a different outcome than Junko's options if he was impressed/entertained by the 77th Class at the end of DR2, for example. The class 77 survivors owing their survival to their greatest enemy could have had incredible implications and could have branched off any number of ways, in DR2 or DR3. DR3 wasted a huge opportunity to provide context on that matter and fix the biggest plothole in DR2 (also, I feel that when you have to fucking break in-universe rules to deliver your message of "Just believing and hoping will get you anywhere", it kind of kills my emotional investment).

That said, in terms of casual entertainment there was a lot to enjoy. Twogami with a sword (btw, how did we have both Twogami and Ryotai!Imposter?) was great, so was the Nidai-Souda combo and Sonia praising Souda. Hanamura shouting "JUSTIN BIEBER" and Akane's meat on the bone were great too. Unfortunately that stuff isn't a good way to end DR.

Catvoca

Banned
I really didn't like this series. Like Ultimate Despair Girls, it had a couple of really cool episodes/moments
(That episode where Junko made an entire class kill each other Battle Royale style was wild)
but nothing about the overall plot or the writing worked for me. I think divorced from the killing game and the murder mystery theme Danganronpa's universe is lame as hell, and the more they explain the things that where hinted at or only vaguely touched on in the first two games the worse it gets. Like when Danganronpa 1 said the world had succumbed to despair I thought it was a cool, high concept idea of humanity embracing the darkest aspects of itself, but when they try to explain exactly how or what a despair ridden world looks like it becomes dumb trash. Their world was so much better when the explanations of how it got so bad were vague rather than when they've tried to fill in the details. I will say some of it is still enjoyably trashy, but really the series has gotten so far away from what I liked about DR1 and 2 that if V3 isn't the reboot they said it'd be I might be done.

Also,
The lack of conclusion of the Monaca stuff has made me really worried those dumb fucking kids will be in the next game :(

Maebe

How did Kirigiri know the drug did what it does and yet Seiko never mentioned it at all? Wouldn't she want everyone to take it?

The only redeeming part of the episode was fat narukami.

After I finished DR2 the biggest question in my mind was who mutilated what part of their body, they couldn't even deliver that.

This show was a mistake.

Also, I never realized that Hajime was so tall.

Wow, that was really disappointing, especially
that bullshit with Kirigiri
. What a disappointing way to end it all. Now I'm even more interested in what V3 really is.

Permanently A

The only redeeming part of the episode was fat narukami.

After I finished DR2 the biggest question in my mind was who mutilated what part of their body, they couldn't even deliver that.

This show was a mistake.

Also, I never realized that Hajime was so tall.

Fuyuhiko with the eye

Nagito with the hand

Akane with the starvation

Sonia gave her parents to Junko

Kazuichi was the one murdering people in the streets

the only muddled one is the dead body copulation because I've heard claims the japanese version actually says womb transplant so it could be mikan or izuru depending on the translation.

Why did Chisa give the videos to Tengen though, did she somehow know he was a crazy person who'd use it for some incredibly insane/stupid purpose? No one else in FF saw it coming, hell they all thought he had gotten softer, seems like it would a lot smarter for Chisa to trick people into watching the despair video.

Permanently A

Why did Chisa give the videos to Tengen though, did she somehow know he was a crazy person who'd use it for some incredibly insane/stupid purpose? No one else in FF saw it coming, hell they all thought he had gotten softer, seems like it would a lot smarter for Chisa to trick people into watching the despair video.

its not a plothole if you don't think about it

tbt, a lot of things would make a lot more sense if Tengen became a despair from it /shrugs

This is why I think this show would have done a lot better if it was more focused on the Future stuff.

1. Maybe have a scene implying Tengan's intent in a flashback that helps Chisa pick up on this.

2. Explain why Mitarai was there (there's literally NO REASON that he showed up there, and he was definitely not supposed to be there in the first place).

3. Explain why Mitarai was given that bracelet with that NG (it should have been that Chisa is the one who brought him in and that she prepared that bracelet for him - turn hope into despair and all that).

4. Why was it so important to Chisa that Munakata falls to despair? Was that just a fetish that she wanted to share with him?

5. Was all of Nagito's plotting throughout the series just... nothing? "Monaca didn't take, so I guess I'll just go back to being a supporting character."

6. Why did Tengan have that NG? I figured at one point that he was set up with an NG that would force him to reveal the truth, but ultimately it was just that he kinda gave himself an NG that kinda sucked and got him killed, thereby reducing his ability to make his plan succeed.

7. How did Kirigiri know that the medicine would slow the poisoning? Were there instructions on the bottle?

8. What were Bandai, Miaya, and Great Gozu like in the past?

9. Why was Izayoi such a cuck (ironic use of the word sry)?

10. The secret exit was silly, because ultimately it demonstrated poor detective work on Kirigiri's part. It was the secret exit, because it was the only way to stop the killing game.

11. Why was the recording capable of noticing Mechogahara or "hacking" her?

12. Why did Mechogahara have all of the NG codes? This and 11. could have been explained by having Miaya be Tengan's accomplice, but instead it was just nothing.

13. Why was Mechogahara programmed to combat Future Foundation members when it was inactive?

14. Why did Tengan care about Munakata's bait in the form of Makoto? We eventually discover that Munakata is right about the person running the killing game wanting someone to survive it and serve as hope (and if you think about it, he was right about a 'hope indistinguishable from despair' since brainwashing despair out of people and replacing it with hope wasn't "real hope"), but the true symbol of hope was Mitarai, so wouldn't Tengan care more about protecting Mitarai? In fact, wouldn't it benefit him to let Makoto die, because Mitarai would then have even more impetus to want to use his talent?

I could literally go on 5ever.

If you think about it, Nagito was crazy from the start. The fact he is back to action and free, should be terrifying. It's a matter of time until he starts some despair to see hope shining again. Lol

If you think about it, Nagito was crazy from the start. The fact he is back to action and free, should be terrifying. It's a matter of time until he starts some despair to see hope shining again. Lol
DR3 changed it, he only becomes really zealous/pro active about helping despair because of the brainwashing.

He still should be considered dangerous but he isn't likely to do anything drastic on his own unless a prime opportunity(like a killing game) presents itself.

He's also definitely changed, DR2 Nagito would've been a lot more neutral in dealing with Ryota, might have even helped him.(hope vs hope and all that) DR3 Nagito seems to really consider the rest of the class his close friends, as long he has that he'll be mostly kept in check.(hopefully)

DR3 changed it, he only becomes really zealous/pro active about helping despair because of the brainwashing.

He still should be considered dangerous but he isn't likely to do anything drastic on his own unless a prime opportunity(like a killing game) presents itself.

He's also definitely changed, DR2 Nagito would've been a lot more neutral in dealing with Ryota, might have even helped him.(hope vs hope and all that) DR3 Nagito seems to really consider the rest of the class his close friends, as long he has that he'll be mostly kept in check.(hopefully)

That has me really disappointed that he didn't get closure on that. It would have been great if we even got to see, in the Hope arc finale (which would be an hour long in this case) everyone going through the recovery process. Or see him talk about how he is satisfied, now that Hajime's hope clashed with Mitarai's hope. Doesn't even have to make him the mastermind, just needs to make him wanting that kind of thing.

UberTag

That said, in terms of casual entertainment there was a lot to enjoy. Twogami with a sword (btw, how did we have both Twogami and Ryotai!Imposter?) was great.
We had THREE imposter variants in this episode. That wasn't Twogami with a sword. That was the imposter role-playing as Munakata.

Nagito was still crazy whether or not he was a remnant of despair/brainwashed. That he didn't attempt to hijack a situation that was so loaded with hope/despair is extremely out of character considering hijacking these situations is his schtick.

Binged on the series and man...all of it just filled me with despair, unironically. Rant mode incoming.

I thought Future started out like garbage, then became mediocre before delving back into garbage near the end. I hated all of the Future Foundation members, except for Great Gozu and (up till about halfway through) Tengan. I'm just sitting there thinking "THESE are the people who are supposed to bring hope back into the world?", these generally downright mean-spirited shitty people are the future of the world? And my god, at least in DR1 and DR2 even when the killings stated everyone kept a calm head and logically tried to discuss everything. Here, you have all these FF leaders get trapped, and literally 5 minutes after the first death they all go insane and start trying to kill each other. I couldn't tell if that was the point but god damn was it a ridiculous sudden change in the tone.

Shout outs to Sakakaya and Kyosuke, who are probably the worst characters in the entire franchise imo. Everything they did or said in the Future arc was just garbage. Can't come up with a better idiom, they were just plain old, straight up, musty garbage. Their beliefs, motives, etc, all of it was just awful to me. And then it kills me when they try to redeem these characters near the end as good hearted people when it's their fault most of the FF members are dead in the first place. They weren't any better in the Despair arc either, whenever they did show up. Speaking of which.

The Despair arc started out somewhat decent, but slowly got worse each and every episode. All the DR2 characters were ruined. Not much else to say honestly. Even Mary-Sue "Ultimate Hop- I mean Gamer!" Chiaki. A major point of the Despair arc was to see how the hell Junko manipulated these good well meaning kids into becoming the Remnants of Despair. People like Nagito, who had both a strong love and hatred of Junko, how the hell do you turn someone like him into basically Junko's lackey? How did she manipulate their weaknesses and flaws?

The answer, anime. Brainwashing anime. Perhaps the dumbest thing to come out of this franchise, and I say that fully well knowing all the dumb shit that's happened in the previous games/novels. How did Junko manipulate the Reserve Course students into doing her bidding before making them commit suicide? Brainwashing Anime. How did Junko attain this method? Oh she just got plot-conveniently lucky and decided to start talking to this one animator kid for zero reason whatsoever. (I heard apparently she sensed the Despair in Mitarai? Which...makes no sense since he wasn't really in Despair, just sick...) Junko, the girl who supposedly made the world fall into despair, manipulated the lives of thousands, all these batshit crazy things she did, aaaaaaand it turns out all of it only happened cause she got lucky and met some kid who reaaaaally liked anime. Even for Danganronpa this is just bad.

Shout outs again to Chisa who was just...there? First ep made me think she was the mastermind who was going to carry out Junko's will but nope. Just hangs around for a bit, does some stuff, and then dies. Okay. Although I could say the same for Izuru, who hung around every scene in the background like a cardboard cut out until he was needed. I couldn't help but laugh at the scene with Nagito.

"You're the ultimate luck? So am I..."
*spins around him and gently takes his gun away*

Oh, and Chiaki's execution. I'll admit that made me uncomfortable watching a character I liked go through that particularly brutal and extreme shit. But the emotional aspect was lost on me when she was still able to move around and talk to Izuru/Hajime about casual shit even after her body was stabbed and pierced and shit. Sorry.

And then the Hope arc,
which I also hated. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a big grin on my face when the DR2 cast showed up and started doing what they do best. That was good fanservice, just wish their designs were updated besides Hiyoko. Tengen's motive was dumb. Why inspire Mitari with hope to do brainwashing when he ALREADY WANTED TO FILL THE WORLD WITH HOPE! Everything could've been avoided if Tengen just said

"Hey Mitari, still got that brainwashing Hope video?"
"Yeah."
"Broadcast it worldwide so we can stop Despair."
"Ok."

And that Kyoko surviving crap. Pure crap. Kodaka just too afraid to let go of his DR1 survivor boner. And that fucking ending "They're all waiting for you headmaster." I was in laughter.

Outside of some of the fan-service, I thought it was god awful way to end the Hope's Peak storyline. I enjoyed some episodes here and there, but all three arcs left me with nothing but disappointment. Honestly it makes me worried how V3 will play out. I know, this was an anime and DR1/2 were games, but they were also 4-6 years ago. Only time will tell if Kodaka can tell a good storyline without any Junko, Hope's Peak Academy, or Future Foundation bullshit.

At the very least my boy Byakuya remained relatively left untouched. Pretty hard to ruin pefection.

KraytarJ

So, I just saw the hope episode and now that DR3 is done I can safely say that I prefer the timeline where DR3 never happened. Chiaki being a real person and not a meta you're supposed to like her character is less interesting, DR2 as a whole gets shit on by this series (in regards to the characters turn to despair and the entire plot and point of that game). Then of course the bright spot of the future arc shit itself by the end as it turned out old dude concocted the stupidest plan ever to make that whole thing happen. It feels weird to not only hate something in this series this much but to also be as let down by an ending to something in this series.

I think a better twist would have been for Tengan to be actually evil, where he wanted to get Mitarai to upload the Hope video because hi

Munakata thought that the mastermind wanted to use Makoto as a tool to inspire despair in the guide of hope

What's more secretly despair than forcing people into hope?

There needs to be a Danganronpa fighting game.

DR1 - Makoto, Kyoko, Junko, Monokuma, Sakura, Mukuro, Toko/Genocider, Mondo
DR2 - Monomi, Nagito, Chiaki, Peko, Nidai, Akane, Gundham, Ultimate Imposter who would just be a random character's moveset when you picked him
DR0 - Madarai
DR3 - Juzo, Munakata, Seiko
DRAE - Komaru

Izuru would be the broken boss character you can't play as who chains together everyones moves in busted ways. Everyone else can be a support character.

FluxWaveZ

How would Naegi even fight, truth bullets coming out of his mouth?

I mean, how would Phoenix Wright fight in a fighting game?

What I had written before:
Makoto Naegi (turtle/runaway, power up character)

"Attacks" by flailing and generally being oblivious as to how to fight (e.g. tripping, trying to kick only for his shoe to fly off as a projectile that needs to be picked up to use again). Relies on gaining "Truth Bullets", switching between them and launching them at the opponent to various effect, mainly to keep them away. The character's goal is to achieve the "Closing Argument" state, in which his unconventional attacks becoming very powerful and is overall strengthened.

[See: Phoenix Wright from UMvC3, Zappa from GG]
The whole thing would have to be insanely over the top. Which is fine, really.

Which would you have preferred

Kyoko drinking the antagonist and living

Or Kyoko drinking the reactivator and shitting herself and dying

I just kinda thought, she didn't really have any idea what the medicine did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom