• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before Microsoft started offering free games for gold, the percent of Gold users was "over 50%". I can't imagine that number dropping as Microsoft has continued to add more value and also since the competition now has a paid service.

Fell to MS PR, did you?

The official stance is this :

Install base:
80+ million 360s sold

Xbox Live:
48 million XBL accounts (Gold + Silver)

Xbox Live Gold:
Approx.50% of XBL accounts have Gold (in 2010)
Currently : 17 million XBL Gold accounts on XB360.

Realistically speaking, XBL Gold's subscriber count probably peaked at around 20-25 million. As console transitions happens, it's natural that subscriptions will drop as consumers move over to the new consoles.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
God ms PR is so amazing.

I truly believe they disseminate messages and organize forumers akin to a modern political organization. Sony fanbots are like annoying Ron Paul people by comparison.

It's of course in large part to newts like Aaron Greenberg and major Nelson In the community (not to mention gaf's own ephemeral truth teller) but I'm so impressed at the collateral damage they do.

truth411

Before Microsoft started offering free games for gold, the percent of Gold users was "over 50%". I can't imagine that number dropping as Microsoft has continued to add more value and also since the competition now has a paid service.
Do you have a source for that? I never heard of that. In any case, the bulk of M.S. subscribers are in America and currently Sony has about 1 million unit lead here in the U.S.. I think M.S. is afraid of a snowball effect where people go where there friends are, a lot of PS4 owners are former 360 owners. The larger the PS4 installed base here in America the lower Gold subscribers M.S. Will get and M.S. isn't going to have 70% of the market in the U.S. IMO this is the real reason for the price cut and bundles, it's to boost Xbox live Gold membership. I bet it's falling fast the further along we get into these Current Gen Consoles, it's math.

truth411

Fell to MS PR, did you?

The official stance is this :

Install base:
80+ million 360s sold

Xbox Live:
48 million XBL accounts (Gold + Silver)

Xbox Live Gold:
Approx.50% of XBL accounts have Gold (in 2010)
Currently : 17 million XBL Gold accounts on XB360.

Realistically speaking, XBL Gold's subscriber count probably peaked at around 20-25 million. As console transitions happens, it's natural that subscriptions will drop as consumers move over to the new consoles.

Good info.

Isurus

Then the problem turns into the hardware being sold at a huge loss. They can't be making profit even at the $399 price point only a year into this generation And I see MS willing to take a huge hit for the console being sold at $349 in order to become a loss leader during the holidays. But afterwards, would MS want to keep selling it for so low after the holidays? I don't see that being viable either.

It comes down to how well they are managing their supplier relationships and overall P&L. I still think it's possible they can turn profit at those figures if managed appropriately. Quarterly reports will be interesting over the next few quarters.

Tsiawd

Banned
Fastest ui??? Lol!!! I have both. Speak what you will about preferences but the ps4 os is lightning fast. You can get to anything major in seconds. The bone os is laggy by comparison. The bone has other strengths so I'm not tearing it apart here but it's nowhere near as fluid as ps4.

xbox goto Netflix

xbox watch tv

xbox goto halo MCC: err wait, it's broken.... aww shit... xbox go home

Pretty damn fast!

Jordan89

Neo Member
The official statement is deliberately trying to be vague for a reason especially the "shortly, we will have sold in to retailers more than 10 million Xbox One consoles." I have seen other articles that are specifically stating that the 10 million consoles are considered shipped. That means they could have sold like 7 million, but have 3 million sitting in stores. Plus, of course they have more in the stores now! The holidays are coming soon. Overall, the switch/change in terms is intentional.

The price dropped though was an act of desperation to become more competitive. PS4 has been outselling the Xbox One, and for good reasons too. It is well established that The PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One. The whole "it is just a little bit more powerful" premise/argument is invalid. Just because something is a little bit more powerful doesn't mean the overall difference is a little bit.

I have both consoles and had a Xbox 360. I was very pro-xbox until the release of the Xbox One. I enjoy playing on my PS4 for a few reasons and have shared that with my friends that haven't switched to next gen yet. The PS4 has better graphics (in most cases), interface is easier to navigate, has more useful features for gamers, runs faster (turning on and starting up), and etc.

I feel that the Xbox one is a good console, just the graphics at times are not up to par (screen tearing is bad on certain games like Titanfall) I, however, do enjoy some of the multitasking features and do like the TV integration. Nevertheless, I have issues with its poor quality controllers and clunky interface. The Xbox One gets on my nerves at times. It seems to always have to update the games, apps, and OS. That gets ANNOYING (the PS4 automatically checks for updates when I turn it on).

There are many reasons why the PS4 has been outselling and will continue to out sell the Xbox One even with this price cut. However, I am glad that they seem to be optimistic about selling more units because a larger base of customers will foster a healthy and competitive video game console market.

AmFreak

For those of us who can actually remember where PS3 was at this point in it's life, your post seems kind of laughable to be honest.

PS3 year one was garbage, shitty exclusives, worthless multiplats and online... it was the shitshow to end all shitshows those first couple of years.

PS4 year one will most likely be remembered as merely 'unremarkable' at worst when all is said and done.

That seems like quite a step up to me.

Yeah ps3 in 06 and 07 was clearly garbage in comparison.

Let's compare exclusive Retail games:

R&C: ToD > Knack
Resistance > KZ4
Motorstorm > Driveclub
Uncharted > Infamous 3

left on PS4:
LBP3

left on PS3:
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
Ridge Racer 7
Genji: Days of the Blade
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
Full Auto 2: Battlelines
Formula One Championship Edition
Warhawk
Lair
Heavenly Sword
Folklore
The Eye of Judgment
Time Crisis 4
UT3 (came later to 360)

+ multiplatform games like
Assassin's Creed
CoD3
CoD4:MW
Fight Night Round 3
VT3
F.E.A.R
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
TES: Oblivion
VF5
The Darkness
RS:Vegas
Advanced Warfighter 2
Colin McRae: Dirt
Skate
Sega Rally Revo
Orange Box
TimeShift
MoH: Airborne

yeah - clearly garbage in comparison to the ps4 line-up.

crazyprac

God ms PR is so amazing.

I truly believe they disseminate messages and organize forumers akin to a modern political organization. Sony fanbots are like annoying Ron Paul people by comparison.

It's of course in large part to newts like Aaron Greenberg and major Nelson In the community (not to mention gaf's own ephemeral truth teller) but I'm so impressed at the collateral damage they do.

Do you have the same sony hat as bish?!

Amir0x

Banned
Sony is making an open world Hot Shots Golf game or something, right?

PS3's first few years were tragic as far as I was concerned. I went from adoring PS2 to basically abandoning the Sony ship until it was $299.99. And even then it took a while for me to warm up to it, since there was so much at the time it still wasn't doing compared to the 360.

I'm glad it finally came around, but for me PS4 is them with things under control.

Curiously, though, they've been having a lot of first party quality disaster releases. I'm really wondering how so many projects got out of hand, from wasting 100 million on a bullshit Sony Santa Monica project to SingStar being destroyed to a daft incompetent release of DriveClub (the core game is phenomenal, so the fact nobody will ever give it a chance now is a tragedy). I liked Shadowfall more than most Killzone games to date, but Knack was just lame. Only inFAMOUS: Second Son turned out 100% decently in 2014 that was actually completely unique for PS4, we got Last of Us: Remastered which is great but... you know... PS3... and then we got LittleBigPlanet 3, which I'm sure will be good but it's just a cross gen excursion. Third party wise Sony chose the big gun with Destiny, and that worked out except for the backlash. Microsoft had its own bad choice - Assassin's Creed Unity - but Advanced Warfare will probably make up for that for them.

I hope next year is better for their first party studios, because Microsoft sort of clompled them this Holiday with MCC (I guess we can put this toe to toe with Last of Us Remastered, so we can cancel one out), Sunset and Forza Horizon 2. :p

Zophar

PS3 had a better first year than PS4 when it comes to exclusive games.

Not sure about this as I don't have a PS4, but I had a lot of good times with my PS3 in the first year. Motorstorm, Virtua Fighter 5 and Warhawk were especially gems.

I had a 360 the whole year too, and put about as much time into R:FoM online as I did Gears 1, and had a blast with both- it's hard to explain how novel 40 player MP on a console was at the time. The following fall Uncharted 1 got nearly as much love as Mass Effect did from me, since they came out at about the same time. It was a really good first year, in my experience.

Dante

It's going to be pretty embarrassing if these guys don't win by a large margin in November, if they don't win November I don't think they'll win any month ever.

I didn't leave them out,i just think PS3 had a better lineup .Remember PS3 also had indies too.

You also should remember that in 2007 the 360 delivered big time, and a number of the PS3 versions of games you listed were appallingly bad compared to 360 versions (or released many months later).

I agree the PS3 list isn't so bad taken on its own... but compared to the competition, it was pretty limp.

That's odd. all of my friends who just got one love it and is the fastest UI they have ever used. To each his own I guess. I do personally agree that it is too busy though and some things need fixing. I do regret purchasing Halo: Master Chief Collection, but I found a good use for it.

lol i'll take it , poor halo being reduced to a coaster :(

Replicant

This FLOP of a company can't seem to stop lying. It must be in the company's DNA and principle to lie to the best of their ability.

Too bad they're basically useless since you can't use them when a game is running.
As Brad said, yes you can. I also just noticed that when you say Playstation during a game the PS4 automatically reduces the volume of the game currently running whilst the prompt for voice commands is on the screen. Cool.
Not sure how long that feature has been there but it's the first time I've noticed it.

Maybe I should start a new thread about it being my new favourite feature of the OS? :p

stryke

It's really difficult to describe thatgamecompany as "indie" when they were fully contracted by SCE to create games for them.

I want to see what kind of financial support that contract involved because to this day I don't understand how they ran out of money in developing Journey.

Amir0x

Banned
I didn't leave them out,i just think PS3 had a better lineup .Remember PS3 also had indies too.

PS3's first year indies were hilariously limited and barely existed at all. PS4 has literally mountains of indies that come every goddamn second. It's not even a real comparison.

I'd agree if we're talking AAAs, PS3 managed to have a few more that worked. But when I combine the totality of the lineups, which include indies, I'd give PS4 the easy win. Doesn't mean Sony doesn't have a lot of work to do though.

vin-buc

This FLOP of a company can't seem to stop lying. It must be in the company's DNA and principle to lie to the best of their ability.

I don't think its correct to say the company is a flop - definitely the entertainment and devices unit though. MSFT is healthy.

I would love to know how much money they're "hemorrhaging". That was Aaron Greenberg's word at one point. It can't be pretty but MSFT got that bank roll. Hmmm...where is Aaron Greenberg these days? I remember seeing a video of him dancing with the black ladies after some event. Pretty funny - that he's as quiet as a mouse these days.

Zophar

Really loving the revisionist history where the PS3 had a good launch line-up.

The launch was a lot more robust than the PS4s, and it still had a very respectable first year. The "PS3 has no games" narrative that plagued the first year was a myth I never really understood, and I owned all three consoles.

Ursiform

Banned
There's already a vocal minority that want MS to spin off the Xbox division due to revenue being eaten up by costs, and I can't imagine this will help. Maybe they figure a successful division they are bullied into spinning off is better than one they can keep but limps behind the pack.

I don't know why this narrative is allowed to be repeated ad naseum without sources. We don't have access to specific financials for Xbox and we don't sit in at MS's board meetings. Maybe I slept and missed a massive verified leak at some point but I doubt it.

AFAIK the "vocal minority" is made up of forum posters.

alterno69

Banned
First party games are becoming less and less relevant by the day. Long gone are the days when exclusives, first or third party, were the driving force behind a consoles succes.

People buy consoles to play CoD, Fifa and all the yearly franchises we love and hate.

rokkerkory

First party games are becoming less and less relevant by the day. Long gone are the days when exclusives, first or third party, were the driving force behind a consoles succes.

People buy consoles to play CoD, Fifa and all the yearly franchises we love and hate.

I know :( i mostly buy consoles for exclusives tho.

Halo
GT
Forza
Uncharted
SO
Gears

Juice

xbox goto Netflix

xbox watch tv

xbox goto halo MCC: err wait, it's broken.... aww shit... xbox go home

Pretty damn fast!

It takes longer for kinect to start listening and then to stop listening than it takes for me to get to those things on my PS4's dpad

Amir0x

Banned
It takes longer for kinect to start listening and then to stop listening than it takes for me to get to those things on my PS4's dpad

yup. 30% of the time Kinect voice commands fail me and my friend. Just faster to do it with the controller frankly, the failure rate is too high.

That's why XBO's UI is so irritating to me (although haven't tried the latest updated XBO UI), because it was a huge stepback from the latest 360 updated UI for navigating with a controller. Just unwieldy and nasty. It was clearly designed to be used with Kinect voice shit, but Kinect voice shit - along with everything about that tech - is an abomination.

sangreal

You don't have to wait for kinect to start or stop listening for those commands.

Also the speed in which you could do that on ps4 depends entirely on where they reside in your recent game list or library

You could have just said ps4 supports launching games via voice too

Exquisik

Sold in lol.

Forget my question, it must be a touchy subject or something.
Boy i have learnt my lesson though!

You are forgetting that it's close to holidays season, a lot of stores do stock up a large amount of console units for the holidays alone, that way they don't run out of stock or have to keep reordering for more stocks.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the 10 millions sold-in is never confirmed. It's confirmed to be shortly, they will sell more than 10 millions to retail stores. We don't know how soon shortly is. It could be tomorrow, next week, next month, or even next quarter. So the actual number could be anywhere between 8 millions to 9.99 millions.

Even if they did sold 10 millions units to retail stores. Considering that Walmart has over 4,900 stores in the US, Target has 1,801 stores, Best Buy has 1,968, Gamestop has 4,429 stores, Costco has 468 stores and Toys'R'Us has 876 stores, that's a total of 14,442 stores between the 6 major video games retail stores, and this is not including KMart, Sears, Sam's, Meijer, Mom & Pop Stores, major online retailers, etc. If you add them all up, there could easily be about 25,000 retail stores that sells video games. And given that each store should always have at least 10 consoles in stock, that's easily 250,000 units laying around in the retail stores in the US alone. Not to mention that since the Holidays are coming up, that number could easily double or triple. Add the total number of retail stores worldwide and online retailers, the total number could easily reach 1.5 millions units laying around in retail stores. And this is not including the warehouses for each retail stores which easily carries thousands of units for emergency and their online store.

So it's not that hard to see some people saying that 8 million units sold to customers is extravagant or exaggerated.

Just my two cents.

I don't know why this narrative is allowed to be repeated ad naseum without sources. We don't have access to specific financials for Xbox....
Yes we do. Here's their most recent quarterly report. Versus the same quarter last fiscal year, Xbox revenue went up by ~$540m. But cost of revenue went up by ~$620m, meaning gross margin for the segment was reduced by Xbox.

That's the immediate past. For the immediate future, we have their quarterly investor's call.
Satya Nadella said:
In computing and gaming, we expect revenue to be $3.5 billion to $3.8 billion [next quarter]. This range reflects growth in Xbox One consoles over the last year, but a mix shift to lower price SKUs announced last June. With the momentum we are seeing with Surface Pro 3, we expect units to grow sequentially.
Last year their Q2 revenue for the segment was ~4.7b. Given that they simultaneously expect Surface revenue to continue rising, this means they estimate the changed Xbox business will cost them more than a billion dollars in lost revenue this holiday.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Sheesh, I'm late to this party, but boy has been an enjoyable ride so far...

I don't think you could possibly split that hair any thinner, but who gives a damn what MS cares about? Hint: they are legally obligated to care about their shareholders.
Yeah, yeah, fiduciary duty and all that. But it does not mean that the management of a company has to nickle and dime their customers to their heart's content. It just means that the management is not allowed to act against the company's best interests. This does not necessarily result in them having to maximize short term profit. Ethical conduct can be more beneficial in a long run.

"Pls show me examples of Microsoft being greedy assholes in the last few months."
How about blocking purchases from US store for non-US customers? A practice that used to be silently approved and (at least here in Finland) even encouraged.

This is purely my opinion, but I think some of yall are clearly underestimating the X1s sales.
If it is only selling. 4.5-5M in a whole year, then that is bad news for the industry indeed.
Not to the industry, just Microsoft. Sony has still managed to sell quite a bunch of Playstations. If you have more than ten million consoles of one brand, that's an installed base of more than ten million. Unless there is absolutely no overlap, every sold Xbox does not increase this install base. For Ubisoft or Activision it is enough that you have one of those consoles; having both does not mean that they can sell more copies of Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty.

Besides, Microsoft had shipped 3.9M Xboxes by the end of last year. Now it is entirely possible that they plan to have shipped 10 million by the end of this year. That would mean 6.1 million consoles for this year, which is not terribly much more than 5M.

*Almost* 10 million could mean just about anything. It could be 9 million. It could be 8 million. I am sure since the statement came from PR, they are using a liberal definition of almost.
You gotta admire the phrasing, because it has translated to that "almost 10 million" form a lot. But what they did say was "we will shortly have sold". I would interpret "almost 10M" as more than 9M. But "shortly have sold" can mean anything. If they have 4 million consoles in containers waiting to be shipped, they would be technically accurate. But that would by no means mean "almost 10 million".

are you saying that MS, one of the wealthiest on the planet, who can afford to lose money on their consoles and second only to Apple in terms of company value are a flop?

Biker19

Banned
I think MS is doing this temp price cut to get the console in as many hands as possible. Once they get the user base up and more people realize its actually a really good console and not a demon spawned abomination the word of mouth should improve.

If anything, as we've all learned from history, a company doing price cuts when their product is struggling to sell, only provides a temporary boost. It's never long lasting.

Like sturgboski, Tommy DJ, & Nightengale said in another thread here, this is the main problem with Microsoft: They keep devaluing their product by coming out with all of these price cuts, bundles, free games, etc. all within the span of 8 months (since March) just to get more of their consoles to sell.

The next time that Microsoft does a price cut, it won't be received as huge among consumers while Sony will with PS4, whenever it comes.

are you saying that MS, one of the wealthiest on the planet, who can afford to lose money on their consoles and second only to Apple in terms of company value are a flop?
Yes he is. Because he sees MS as a video game company and nothing more. If MS is a flop then they are doing pretty well for a flop company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom