• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buckethead has released 75 albums in the past 2 years. Let's talk about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
i83Jtqk.jpg

Brian Patrick Carroll (born May 13, 1969), better known by his stage name Buckethead, is an American guitarist and multi-instrumentalist who has worked within many genres of music. He has released 114 studio albums, four special releases and one EP. He has performed on over 50 more albums by other artists. His music spans such diverse areas as progressive metal, funk, blues, jazz, bluegrass, ambient, and avant-garde music.

Buckethead is famous for wearing a KFC bucket on his head, emblazoned with an orange bumper sticker reading FUNERAL in capital black block letters, and an expressionless plain white mask which, according to Buckethead, was inspired by his seeing Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers.

On May 15, Buckethead started to release albums under the concept of a kiosk within Buckethead's fictional "abusement" park called "Buckethead Pikes". The albums released within this concept were to resemble a comic book style and be shorter in length than his previous works at around half an hour in length.

In the past 2 years, he has released 75 albums, mostly digitally, but a limited number of physical versions are made made available. His solo albums add up to over 68 hours of music. Has any other musician been this prolific?

Some of my favorite tracks of his:

Whitewash

All in the Waiting

Soothsayer

Carpal Tunnel Slug

Rim of the World

Beginning Putrification

Hold Me Forever (In Memory Of My Mom Nancy York Carroll)

The Closed Triptych
  • Twisterlend "Pike 39" is available free here

Some may know him from his time in the new GNR
Better

arab

he puts on a great show too. i saw him around halloween and in the middle of it, he gave out toys and played the space jam theme on bass

BPoole

Now That's What I call Buckethead 76! Preorder now and get $2 Off his next album estimated to launch in FOUR DAYS!!!

Rapstah

It's not like it's all shit either. I've listened to... maybe 20 of those albums, and there's almost always at least one good song.

Paid 120$ for one of his rare concert albums back in 04'. Got Colma which my wife loves too.

Some of his style is a bit too experimental but when he jams on a track I like it is legendary stuff. There were all kinds of stories and myths about him back in the day. Especially when he got even more popular because of his mega hard Guitar Hero 2 track. How he once denied Ozzy when he was asked to join him on tour because Ozzy told him to take the mask off. How no one has ever seen his face since like age 17 lol. Shit like thay

I've been following him for many years. Most of his recent output is terrible but some of it is great. I am convinced he lives in a studio. But his early material is simply fantastic. Colma is one of my favorite albums. I like the guy's work ethic but most of his "Pike" series is long-ass noodling.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The insane part is that he actually makes legit music (sometimes)

Paid 120$ for one of his rare concert albums back in 04'. Got Colma which my wife loves too.

Some of his style is a bit too experimental but when he jams on a track I like it is legendary stuff. There were all kinds of stories and myths about him back in the day. Especially when he got even more popular because of his mega hard Guitar Hero 2 track. How he once denied Ozzy when he was asked to join him on tour because Ozzy told him to take the mask off. How no one has ever seen his face since like age 17 lol. Shit like thay

The legend is that Ozzy told him to take the bucket off so he came out wearing a space alien mask.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The other rumor was that he was secretly Paul Gilbert
KuGsj.gif

They can't all be good. No one writes that many albums in two years without a dip in quality somewhere.

Though he is very talented and I admire his work ethic. If even a handful of the albums are good it would be amazing.

Nicktendo86

Amazing output and he is obviously an extremely talented guitar player but I've never heard anything of his I have actually liked :/

jett

D-Member
My favorite Buckethead works are his more acoustic/laid back albums, especially Electric Tears and Electric Sea:

Electric Tears
ElectricTears.jpg

Padmasana
The Way To Heaven
Mantaray
Spell of The Gypsies

Electric Sea
220px-Electric_Sea.jpg

Electric Sea
El Indio
Yokohama
The Homing Beacon

A Real Diamond In the Rough
220px-A_Real_Diamond_in_the_Rough.jpg

Big D's Touch
Dawn Appears

Shadows Between The Sky
220px-Shadows_Between_the_Sky_cover.jpg

Inward Journey
Sea Wall
Sled Ride

something something quality control

I guess he's a quantity over quality kind of guy. :p

Buckethead is definitely a musical genius, he just needs to be more judicious on what he releases. He pretty much puts out anything and everything that comes to his head, and the result is that a lot of his stuff seems half-baked or repetitive at times.

Randam

Know him but never heard a song of him Afaik.

Is it only guitar or are there bass and drums too?
Does he play those too?
And are all his songs instrumentals?

Kuroyume

Banned
He's god.

The quality control thing doesn't apply. He's been great. He's always been a beast. You should see the amount of guest apperances he's done over the years. To me he is the perfect musician. Doesn't keep fans waiting 90 years like Axl. Bumblefoot seems to have realized that recently and it sounds like now he's leaving the band to get his solo career back on track.

Know him but never heard a song of him Afaik.

Is it only guitar or are there bass and drums too?
Does he play those too?
And are all his songs instrumentals?

He can also play bass but the releases mentioned in this topic are mostly a drum machine plus him playing guitar. Usually no bass is involved unless he plays himself. No singing. This is what allows him to be do so much.

strafer

Isn't he a vegan and hates KFC?

The Buckethead persona came to be when Buckethead saw the 1988 fright flick Halloween 4 and was inspired by the film. He went right out after seeing it and bought a Michael Myers-like white mask. The bucket idea came later that night while eating Kentucky Fried Chicken:

I was eating it, and I put the mask on and then the bucket on my head. I went to the mirror. I just said, 'Buckethead. That's Buckethead right there.' It was just one of those things. After that, I wanted to be that thing all the time.

jett

D-Member
He's god.

The quality control thing doesn't apply. He's been great. He's always been a beast. You should see the amount of guest apperances he's done over the years. To me he is the perfect musician. Doesn't keep fans waiting 90 years like Axl. Bumblefoot seems to have realized that recently and it sounds like now he's leaving the band to get his solo career back on track.

Bumblefoot would've been better off not ever joining GNR, but I guess that's a thing that happened. :p

He can also play bass but the releases mentioned in this topic are mostly a drum machine plus him playing guitar. Usually no bass is involved unless he plays himself. No singing. This is what allows him to be do so much.

This is something I don't like about a lot of his music. His drum machine is just no replacement for real percussion.

CloudWolf

75 albums in two years is too much, who actually takes the time to listen to all that?

Anyway, Population Override is easily my favorite album of him that I've heard. It's just beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom