• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buckethead has released 75 albums in the past 2 years. Let's talk about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpende

That's way to much imo. I always look forward to hearing new material from artist, having a 2 or 3 year break is good for that.

But hey, if this guy makes music that people like and that he likes... good for him.

jett

D-Member
What's ridiculous is how no one knows who he is (AFAIK).

The OP has his name. :p

bucket-unmasked.jpg

Paid 120$ for one of his rare concert albums back in 04'. Got Colma which my wife loves too.

Some of his style is a bit too experimental but when he jams on a track I like it is legendary stuff. There were all kinds of stories and myths about him back in the day. Especially when he got even more popular because of his mega hard Guitar Hero 2 track. How he once denied Ozzy when he was asked to join him on tour because Ozzy told him to take the mask off. How no one has ever seen his face since like age 17 lol. Shit like thay

That was hilarious:

"I tried out that Buckethead guy. I met with him and asked him to work with me but only if he got rid of the fucking bucket. So I came back a bit later and he's wearing this green fucking Martian's-hat thing. I said, 'Look, just be yourself!' He told me his name was Brian, so I said that's what I'd call him. He says, 'No one calls me Brian except my mother.' So I said, 'Pretend I'm your mum then!' I haven't even got out of the room and I'm already playing fucking mind games with the guy. What happens if one day he's gone and there's a note saying, 'I've been beamed up?' [Laughs] Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. He plays like a motherfucker!"

post-46491-laughing-lizard-gif-imgur-gfyc-nWv1.gif

On topic:

Buckethead is simply amazing and I just love his character.

Having said that, sometimes I think he should slow down the amount of material he releases. Longer writing times would lead to even more fascinating records.

Still, I don't complain.

I remember long time ago, when he began his career, everyone was talking about him on guitar forums and because of his physical appearance (tall, skinny and with freaky long fingers), pretty much the whole world split in two sides, one said it was a Steve Vai parallel project, the other one said it was Paul Gilbert. Obviously, they were wrong, although, Gilbert gave him guitar classes when Buckethead was a teenager.

akira28

Ah I didnt know he was an intrumentalist. I was worried that he gummed things up with crappy rock lyrics. I love instrumental rock.

I'm familiar with Buckethead from his Bill Laswell/Material/Praxis days but never listened to his solo albums.
He reminds me of John 5 - can play in any style but keeps the weirdness.

It's not like it's all shit either. I've listened to... maybe 20 of those albums, and there's almost always at least one good song.
You've listened to about 20 of his albums and there's "almost always at least one good song" on each album? Jesus

I haven't heard any of his albums and respect the dude as a musician, but if you're just pumping out material that is uninspiring, that's cool and all, but I like to consume music that is good, not half baked stuff that is pumped out.

That being said, he can be saying he's not making music for me or anyone expect himself which is fair. But yeah I don't think it's that impressive other than the sheer number of albums he's released in a short time

GamerJM

Banned
I got kinda into him around the time Guitar Hero 2 got big (JORDAN), but I haven't listened to him in like five years or so. 75 albums? Dear god.

Gazoinks

Huh, for some reason I always thought he was younger.

I've been interested in Buckethead, but his ridiculous prolificness is kind of terrifying. Where's a good place to start?

He exploded in popularity with Guitar Hero 2. I remember many "long time fans" suddenly showing themselves around that time.

Great guitarist, very prolific. No way in hell I'm even close to having listened to his entire catalog. I'm glad GnR got him even more exposure. But as good as he is, Bumblefoot is even better imo.

Chavelo

Holy shit, totally forgot about the dude (kinda laid off my guitar phase a couple years back, so stopped listening to stuff like Buckethead, Paul Gilbert and John Petrucci).

Goddamn, he's been cranking it up since then. Gotta catch up on a lot of stuff :eek:

Huh, for some reason I always thought he was younger.

I've been interested in Buckethead, but his ridiculous prolificness is kind of terrifying. Where's a good place to start?

Monsters and Robots
Enter the Chicken
Colma
Electric Tears

Those are probably some of his most "accessible" albums.

He's basically the Mike Patton of guitars. Not my thing, but for some reason Buckethead seems to attract the same kind of fans who want to lock you in a room to try to convince you that Mr. Bungle, Trey Anastasio, Les Claypool or Neil Peart is the GOAT.

Yes, lets.

I love the dude but it's hard even for a super fan like me to keep up.

Betamax's beginner recommendations are on point.

kingslunk

I've seen him live twice. User name is a Buckethead mash.

Good guy. Great guitar player.

Got a mask from him at one of his shows.

I cant keep up with this guy ever. Been to many shows, caught a bunch of toys he hands out, but the last straw for me was when he put on a 3 hour show around 2005.

He's been consistently good, but I felt he's been stagnant for a while. Out of the million of albums he releases a year, he'll have a couple really standout songs.

His early Bucketheadland, Deli Creeps, and Giant Robot NTT (where my username is taken from) stuff is also great.

My absolute favorite stuff of his is with Praxis. A supergroup of musicians with Bernie Worrel, Brain Mantia, Bill Laswell and Bootsy Collins.
Praxis - The Interworld and the New Innocence

DopeToast

Banned
Wow. Never even heard of this guy but that's pretty incredible. Guided by Voices/Robert Pollard releases a bunch of albums, but not even close to that. Regardless of how they sound, the dedication this would take is at least worth applauding.

Hopefully there will be some fan-made greatest-hitshits mixes when this buckethead Pikes series ends. I'm sure that even when you drop all the mediocre tracks from the project, you'll still be left with multiple albums worth of quality jams.

I really should see this dude live sometime.

Need to hear that latest he dropped, someone told me it was mellow like Colma or something?

Random tidbit, I went with a friend once to his guitar lesson with a man named Pebber Brown, long story short he actually taught Buckethead and apparently still stays in touch and Buckethead does some clinics at that music store from time to time. What's funny is when asked, Pebber told us "I only taught Brian, I don't know where the hell Buckethead came from"

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
"Siege Engine" from Albino Slug is my favorite track of his. It's hard to keep up with his discography, especially if you're being honest about it.

Love him quite a bit, but a lot of the stuff is him just noodling around. But I come from a place of ignorance because I haven't heard EVERYTHING he's released. I'll take another album like Colma over 75 more albums of guitar sounds.

Robot Pants

The best guitarist of all time.
And just a general awesome dude and extremely unique. Love him to death even though his output lately, while prolific, hasn't been great. But hes always kinda been like that. When his stuff is good it's really good.

My favs:
Soothsayer
Final Wars
Night of the Slunk
Brewer in the Air
and a soft spot for Buckethead's Toy Store

One of the best live performances of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akmP6Sjv2o

Favorite album by far:
Elephant Man's Alarm Clock
51CbY3FM4gL.jpg

BubbaMc

I was on a musical diet of almost nothing but Buckethead for at least 6 years (2006 to 2012), in that time I would have purchased everything he put out including his Gibson signature Les Paul which I'll never sell (see pic below).

The guy is a musical genius, if you're new to his music I'd be happy to give recommendations depending on which styles you like. Bucket covers them all.

That said I haven't been all that impressed with the latest of the Pikes series, to the point where I rarely even stop and listen to the samples these days. I'd rather he spent some more time with these recordings and make more structured music like he used to, and bring Dan Monti back into the fold full time.

btw it's a travesty that he never got to perform his GNR solos live with the band, these are some of the greatest guitar solos ever recorded IMO. Listen to the long outro on "There Was a Time". I understand his reasons for leaving though, having to share lead guitar duties with Robin Finck is enough to make any man throw in the towel, the guy is an insult to the guitar instrument.

P4300068.jpg

Pathos

Banned
i never heard of this guy so i searched him up and have been listening to electric sea for the past 10 minutes
it's pretty good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom