• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buckethead has released 75 albums in the past 2 years. Let's talk about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So, for those not keeping track at home, Buckethead, our intrepid guitar guru, has been on a one-a-day marathon of dark ambient, Countdown-to-Halloween releases.

In the middle of it though, he just released is 200th pike today.

Since he released his first pike in May 2011, he's rate has been 8.12 days/album. Which is pretty damn impressive, but what's even crazier is that this is rate for 2015 alone: 2.9 days/album!

Dude is nuts.

Pungza

Bit of an old bump...

New tour dates, last live performance was 2012 I believe -

http://www.bucketheadpikes.com/shows.html

Code:
April 15, 2016 Granada Theater Lawrence, KS
April 16, 2016 2720 Cherokee St. Louis, MO
April 18, 2016 Blue Note Columbia, MO
April 19, 2016 Waiting Room Lounge Omaha, NE
April 20, 2016 Wooly’s Des Moine, IA
April 21, 2016 The Cabooze Minneapolis, MN
April 23, 2016 The Majestic Madison, WI
April 24, 2016 Shank Hall Milwaukee, WI
April 25, 2016 Park West Chicago, IL
April 26, 2016 Majestic Theatre Detroit, MI
April 28, 2016 The Vogue Indianapolis, IN
April 29, 2016 The Woodlands Tavern Columbus, OH
April 30, 2016 Earlybird 2016 at Nelson Ledges Quarry Park Garrettsville, OH
May 1st, 2016 The Altar Bar Pittsburgh, PA
May 3, 2016 Westcott Theater Syracuse, NY
May 4, 2016 Higher Ground Burlington, VT
May 5, 2016 The Wilbur Theatre Boston, MA
May 6th, 2016 Toad's Place New Haven, CT
May 7th, 2016 B.B. Kings New York, NY
May 8th, 2016 Ardmore Music Hall Ardmore, PA
May 10th, 2016 Baltimore Soundstage Baltimore, MD
May 11th, 2016 The Howard Theatre Washington, D.C.
June 30th, 2016 The Highberry Music Festival Ozark, AR

CFMOORE!

Bit of an old bump...

Code:

wtf. come back to CA!

Bit of an old bump...

Code:

I will never get to see him in the UK will I?

jett

D-Member
So these days I've been listening A Real Diamond in the Rough. Such great acoustic (mostly) work in there.

However I find it impossible to keep up with his releases. Ever since he released Electric Sea, he has only put out these 30-minute albums, which might as well all blend together for me at the rate he releases them. Has he made any primarily acoustic albums since ES? Feels like he went nuts after he released that one.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Buckethead is my favorite guitarist of all time. His quantity is outrageous, but don't let that fool you. The quality of his work is fantastic, and his official albums are pieces of art.

Legend

Was going through this thread and found this gem:

This is beautiful.

The pikes stuff is cool and there are some gems there, but I miss Bucket's full-fledged studio albums. He hasn't released anything since March, which is odd for him. Must be busy with his tour.

What the hell, dude.

You have stated several times in different threads that you love Buckethead but as I understand here, you just listened "I Love My Parents" for the first time ever? O_O

Now you're going to say you never listened...

Too Many Humans

I saw him recently in Orlando

It was the most magical show I've ever seen. He's unparalleled

Also, he threw stuff out to the crowd and I was able to snag one of his goodies. It turned out to be alphabet letters, I still have them on my entertainment stand.

Durden77

I have like 850 songs by him on my iPod Classic.

The man is not a music artist, he's a music factory. I fucking love him, and what makes it so crazy is that his variety is insane. But I've been out of the loop for a little while. 75 albums in 2 years? Christ. I'm shocked, but not that shocked.

old

I've poked around a number of these albums. At best it is serviceable background music. The stuff you play while focusing on something else. This is the rock/metal version of elevator music.

Gattsu25

Banned
My favorite Buckethead works are his more acoustic/laid back albums, especially Electric Tears and Electric Sea:

Electric Tears
ElectricTears.jpg

Padmasana
The Way To Heaven
Mantaray
Spell of The Gypsies

Electric Sea
220px-Electric_Sea.jpg

Electric Sea
El Indio
Yokohama
The Homing Beacon

A Real Diamond In the Rough
220px-A_Real_Diamond_in_the_Rough.jpg

Big D's Touch
Dawn Appears

Shadows Between The Sky
220px-Shadows_Between_the_Sky_cover.jpg

Inward Journey
Sea Wall
Sled Ride

I guess he's a quantity over quality kind of guy. :p

Buckethead is definitely a musical genius, he just needs to be more judicious on what he releases. He pretty much puts out anything and everything that comes to his head, and the result is that a lot of his stuff seems half-baked or repetitive at times.

Bought Electric Tears, Electric Sea, and Colma
Ambient from Buckethead:
I love my parents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwXlzy9k7jI
Bought the album this is from (Giant Robot) as well

Syncytia

I have like 850 songs by him on my iPod Classic.

The man is not a music artist, he's a music factory. I fucking love him, and what makes it so crazy is that his variety is insane. But I've been out of the loop for a little while. 75 albums in 2 years? Christ. I'm shocked, but not that shocked.

As a guitarist, this isn't terribly impressive to me. If I had more time to dedicate to playing and writing I could bang out at least 5 riffs a day. As it is I'm nearly at a song each time I pick up my guitar to write; I just don't have the time to do that every day of the week. Adding in variety makes it even easier IMO. Ambient, post-rock, acoustic, metal, classical...all are different in the way I approach writing. The more styles you are comfortable writing the more stuff you are able to write. Sometimes I want to write a song for my band but it won't come to me and I get stuck on it. I have to just tell myself to let it go and pick up my classical guitar or play around on some synths.

I made a buckethead Website with Images from all the "in search of the" albums that i found or ppl sent me in buckethead.tk.
Offline since 4 years tho.

Still one of my fav artists, despite the fact that i cant find the time to listen all the pikes

Nice, but does he have an impressive body of work or is it lots of filler?

He has a good amount of really killer albums in different styles (easily 10 or more really awesome albums), it's only in the last years when he went mental about releasing tons of albums per year.

Most of those albums suffer from what I call the "Malmsteen Syndrome": A lot of tracks sound very similar compared to each other and compared to tracks from previous albums, which is a shame cause as a listener you find yourself with a lot of "I've heard this before" moments.

Sometimes I'd say to call him a genius is too much, but for sure he is super talented and unique, I mean... without a single doubt there is no other guitar player in the world that sounds like him, and that speaks a lot about him.

Somebody close to him should persuade him to take more time with each album so new releases don't end sounding like half-baked projects.

IMHO.

jett

D-Member
What the hell, dude.

You have stated several times in different threads that you love Buckethead but as I understand here, you just listened "I Love My Parents" for the first time ever? O_O

Now you're going to say you never listened...

Too Many Humans

I like Buckethead, but I just haven't listened to everything he has made. I'm not all that familiar with his pre-Colma work.

I like Buckethead, but I just haven't listened to everything he has made. I'm not all that familiar with his pre-Colma work.

Agree. Its unreasonable to try and listen to everything he puts out. There are so many hidden gems all over the place

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
From wiki

Unreleased albums[
Buckethead Plays Disney [2]

Gimmie

In 1997 Buckethead began work on an album titled Buckethead Plays Disney, but the album has never been released. According to his web page:

"This highly anticipated album, once listed in an Avant catalog, has yet to be completed. It is Buckethead's most precious personal project so he won't record or release it until he knows he is ready. It is slated for release sometime before the burial ritual."

"I like Disneyland. I want to be buried there - parts of me in It's a Small World, Haunted Mansion, and Pirates of the Caribbean, plus parts in Tokyo Disneyland, Euro Disneyland, and Florida Disney World. There are enough bones to go around."

GIMME

Ah my bad. Reading your previous posts about him made me think he was one of your fav musicians and that you were familiar with most of his work.

How does he remember it all?

Music's kinda... Weird like that. As a casual guitar/bass player, the combination of sound recognition and muscle memory means I can recall stuff I last played years ago like nothing, or after a few minutes at least. I doubt that he knows all his own songs off by heart with that huge a library though.

EDIT: I realise you may have meant just remember what he's made. Spreadsheets I guess. Or he may not be the organised type.

I feel like when he retires/moves on there will be an absolutely epic effort to rank every one of his songs. I look forward to it.

Diablos

He has a good amount of really killer albums in different styles (easily 10 or more really awesome albums), it's only in the last years when he went mental about releasing tons of albums per year.

Most of those albums suffer from what I call the "Malmsteen Syndrome": A lot of tracks sound very similar compared to each other and compared to tracks from previous albums, which is a shame cause as a listener you find yourself with a lot of "I've heard this before" moments.

Sometimes I'd say to call him a genius is too much, but for sure he is super talented and unique, I mean... without a single doubt there is no other guitar player in the world that sounds like him, and that speaks a lot about him.

Somebody close to him should persuade him to take more time with each album so new releases don't end sounding like half-baked projects.

IMHO.
Thanks. I'll look into his older stuff the next time I decide to go on a music binge.

Nice, but does he have an impressive body of work or is it lots of filler?
With that much stuff out there, who can even say? You can have one person with 25 albums arguing with someone else with 25 albums, and neither of them have heard any of the same stuff.

Nothing I've heard has impressed me. It's all technical skill and no songwriting ability.

Thanks. I'll look into his older stuff the next time I decide to go on a music binge.

You're welcome. Make yourself a favor and take the time to listen the tunes I'm posting below, for sure you'll love some of them (maybe all of them :) ).

Nothing I've heard has impressed me. It's all technical skill and no songwriting ability.

I'm curious to know what albums exactly have you heard? I ask cause what you said is just flat out wrong, what I mean is... you're entitled to not like his catalog, but to say he has no songwriting ability is just incorrect.

Are the next examples all technical skill and no songwriting ability to you?

Mellow:

I love My Parents (album: Giant Robot)

Ghost, Part 2 (album: Colma)

Witches on the Heath (album: Electric Tears)

Loss from a Distance (album: Chicken Noodles)

Humans Vanish (album: Population Override)

Metal:

Machete Mirage (album: Bucketheadland 2)

Bloody Rainbow Spiraling Sherbert Scoop (album: Bucketheadland 2)

Vacuum Tube Implants (album: Island of Lost Minds)

The Shores of Molokai (album: The Shores of Molokai)

Experimental:

The Fairy and the Devil (album: Crime Slunk Scene)

Big Sur Moon (album: Colma)

Davy Jones Locker (album: Bermuda Triangle)

Veil of Tinfoil (album: Ballon Cement)

Funky (for a lack of a better term to define tunes that have rhythm parts catchy as hell):

The Return of Captain Eo (album: A Real Diamond in the Rough)

Symmetrical Slug (album: Albino Slug)

Chase the Darkness Out (album: Captain EO's Voyage)

Aquabot (album: Giant Robot)

The Brain and the Chariot (album: The Dragons of Eden)

Goblin Shark (album: Pepper's Ghost)

Weird (this guy for sure has a twisted mind, if Steve Vai is a guitar player that comes from outer space, Buckethead for sure comes from Arkham Asylum):

Post Office Buddy (album: Giant Robot. Comment: note how he uses the same melody after each call but he transforms it a bit to make it more menacing/crazy)

The Ballad of Buckethead (album: Monsters and Robots. Comment: Les Claypool on voice and bass)

The Sticker on Hallucinogens (album: Kaleidoscalp)

You Like this Face? (album: Somewhere Over The Slaughterhouse)

Mannequins are my Friends (album: The Shores of Molokai)

Disembodied (album: Disembodied. Comment: This album was released under the anagram Death Cube K (same letters used to form Buckethead) and the whole album is kinda like an OST for a horror movie/game)

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom