• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buckethead has released 75 albums in the past 2 years. Let's talk about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sub_o

P4300068.jpg

How much did that cost? I've always wanted Buckethead's signature guitar. But since it's Les Paul, there's no tremolo bar right?

BubbaMc

How much did that cost? I've always wanted Buckethead's signature guitar. But since it's Les Paul, there's no tremolo bar right?

Correct, no tremolo. It cost about $1500USD. Got a great price from a Gibson dealer in Wichita (EM Shorts), who was kind enough to ship it to Australia.

List price was $4311USD.

These guitars are unobtainable now.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...Gibson-USA/Buckethead-Signature-Les-Paul.aspx

Later Gibson released a cheaper Studio version:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Buckethead-Les-Paul-Studio.aspx

BubbaMc

We have Axl Rose to thank for that guitar btw. He arranged for Gibson to build a guitar to Buckets' specifications back in 1999 or 2000. The resulting instrument has been a huge part of his tone over the last 14 years. Standard short scale Les Pauls just don't sound the same.

We have Axl Rose to thank for that guitar btw. He arranged for Gibson to build a guitar to Buckets' specifications back in 1999 or 2000. The resulting instrument has been a huge part of his tone over the last 14 years. Standard short scale Les Pauls just don't sound the same.
I'll thank him if he releases Bucket's songs he has locked away.

Foaloal

I've never really gotten "into" Buckethead before, and with such an expansive catalog it looks like it will be a lot of work to do so.

I personally can't just listen to a few songs from somebody like this, I always want to listen to everything I can until I feel like I understand the message they're trying to convey through their music.

He seems like a real artist though, and a very unique person.

So I guess I'll have to add him to my musical bucket list (ba dum tsh).

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
One of the greatest. Like...even people that don't follow his type of sound or are in completely different genres will likely notice and mourn his passing.

Saw him lI've at an outdoor 5 stage show years ago and his sound cuts through all the average whatever music like a hot knife.

Crazy cool dude.

(And a response to someone on the last page: bungle is one of the goat. I'll fight you!)

sub_o

Correct, no tremolo. It cost about $1500USD. Got a great price from a Gibson dealer in Wichita (EM Shorts), who was kind enough to ship it to Australia.

List price was $4311USD.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...Gibson-USA/Buckethead-Signature-Les-Paul.aspx

Sadly I don't think at this moment I'm willing to part 4000 bucks just for a guitar.

Edit: My cold was affecting me too much that I failed to see that you got it for 1500, that's more affordable.

Buckethead is fantastic. Problem is out of those 75 albums, there is a lot of shit. I love listening to his music, but sometimes a track will be him just scraping a nail on the strings. I figure there's probably 15 albums of actually good music out of those 75 albums.

List price was $4311USD.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Buckethead-Les-Paul-Studio.aspx

Ha! They're pretty good. If you ever need me to check something out from EM, let me know. I live in Wichita, and go there pretty regularly.

Buckethead (Brian) is a good guitarist, and he's certainly prolific, but I'd like to hear him move on from shred a bit.

Disclaimer: With 75 albums in two years, he may have indeed recorded some non shreddy things, and I'd have missed it.

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like I've been on the internet a lot and listened to a lot of music in the past several years, but I don't remember ever even hearing of Buckethead.

I'm listening to the Electric Tears album now. Some songs aren't so great, but others are pretty neat. This sort of chill, instrumental stuff seems like great background music for programming. Thanks for making the thread, OP, and thanks for recommending songs or albums, other people! Finding something interesting and new to me is cool.

He is a great guitarist, but mediocre songwriter. He's no different than the rest of the guitar wankers that have come out of the post-Yngwie era. Dude needs to tone it down and focus on making one great album instead of 1000 shitty ones.

BubbaMc

He is a great guitarist, but mediocre songwriter. He's no different than the rest of the guitar wankers that have come out of the post-Yngwie era.

Incorrect.

edit: I don't like everything he's done, but the dude is a monster songwriter at times. His style is completely different from any generic shredder, Yngwie included.

Kwixotik

I've been listening to Colma the past couple of days. First time I've ever listened to Buckethead. I really like it.

SD-Ness

Colma is a great album. Though the harder/faster stuff is impressive, I'm really fond of his softer, more melodic stuff. "Coat of Charms" on the Coat of Charms album is a good example of this. Any recommendations for similar songs?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Colma is a great album. Though the harder/faster stuff is impressive, I'm really fond of his softer, more melodic stuff. "Coat of Charms" on the Coat of Charms album is a good example of this. Any recommendations for similar songs?

check out Shadows Between The Sky album

Axiology

One of my favorite musicians, ever since Guitar Hero 2. I've been slowly going through the pikes on youtube and though there is a lot of garbage, there's really a crapton of amazing stuff he gets out with like, no notice.

I've been stuck on Telescape for a little while now, the whole cd, it's so amazing. Like, it could be a pre-Pike CD.

wiggleb0t

Banned

Kuroyume

Banned
Where should one start for more ambient/space rock kind of stuff from him?

Pike 148 "Invisable Forest"
Pike 128 "Tucked Into Dreams"
Pike 116 "Infinity of the Spheres"
Pike 97 "Passageways"
Pike 90 "Listen for the Whisper"
Pike 89 "The Time Travelers Dream"
Captain EO's Voyage

Quick list off the top of my head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom