• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alex Ward (ex-Criterion) talks about the problems launching Need For Speed: MW Wii U

Mlatador

Banned
Well that sucks. Nintendo could have at least helped them out marketing-wise.

I can't remember Criterion was ever bitched on, though. I think everyone was angry about EA and praised Alex Ward and his team for doing a splendit job on the Wii U Version (it really shows).

Somehow I don't think Nintendo was going to bend over backwards for a publisher that dropped them at the drop of a hat.

This is exactly how companies get into bad market situations: making judgments based on pride rather than concrete outcomes.

Yes, EA tossed Nintendo to the wind, for a mixture of good and bad reasons. Individual human beings at Nintendo were probably offended by that. But in business, that happened because EA had all the leverage in this relationship. Nintendo needed EA's support for their systems to perform well; EA didn't need Nintendo for anything. When someone has that much leverage over you, it doesn't matter if they were kind of a dick once; you're not gonna get what you want from them unless you make concessions.

Also, what I think is particularly relevant in this case is that by taking this kind of hardball approach with EA, Nintendo didn't just alienate people who were working at EA; they alienated people who left to form new developers (like Alex Ward) and all the people who talk to people at EA (and since EA's a huge company with tons of influential devs, that's almost everyone.)

Drakeon

The last thing this industry needs is a union.

His statement is in context to their indie games doing poorly. If they make a game, publish it on their own, and it bombs, then they are fucked. They need to pick the platform carefully. Doesn't mean it will be a guaranteed success, but they are going to approach with caution because their livelihood depends on it.
Games industry is in desperate need of a union, but that's getting off topic.

Sounds like ea and Nintendo are both at fault here. It's no wonder 3rd parties drop support when Nintendo doesn't provide them any support.

Zalman

Yep, I've had discussions about this in other threads before. I consider myself a Nintendo supporter but it's been clear for a long time that they don't believe that it's their job to market for 3rd parties unless they're publishing.

Sony and MS do this all the time (especially MS) and in the end it helps everyone make money off the platform.
Whether or not Nintendo should've marketed it for them can be discussed for a long time, but Criterion shouldn't expect them to do it. It isn't Nintendo's job. EA is the real culprit here. Putting developers at work for a game they don't even plan on marketing themselves is complete bullshit.

Silky

Banned
2an4d.png

Huh. Well that's pretty interesting to see.

To those who don't have this game and have a Wii U, you should totally get it. I haven't played a Need for Speed game in quite a while, but enjoyed the hell out of this version.
It turned out to be the best console version but since it was late, un-marketed and full price it was just sent to die.
Whether or not Nintendo should've marketed it for them can be discussed for a long time, but Criterion shouldn't expect them to do it. It isn't Nintendo's job. EA is the real culprit here. Putting developers at work for a game they don't even plan on marketing themselves is complete bullshit.
There's some truth to this but Nintendo has very rarely ever helped to market 3rd party games unless there's a publishing or some other deal in place. Under the circumstances and considering the quality of the effort they should have helped out, if not just as an olive branch to Criterion and EA.

Draconian

I love how the guy he's talking to starts out yelling at him for not making a Wii U game and by the end is yelling at Nintendo for making it so hard to make a Wii U game.

The most remarkable thing about the exchange is how a random Twitter guy just decided to abuse a developer for not releasing on his console of choice... and then upon being explained that he was yelling at the wrong guy, started yelling at someone else.

In life, if you aren't sure about who you need to yell at, it's probably time to stop yelling.

Edit: Damnit charlequin

Fair points, but that guy was hardly yelling and certainly not abusing him.

Gannd

Banned
Nintendo allows people to self publish through the eShop. The Wii U supports Unity which, I assume, is what they will build their game on. I don't really see the downside to releasing it on the WiiU in addition to any other platform they can self publish on.

Jesus, hearing shit like that makes me feel fucked up for being a little pissed towards the game, I get it, EA and Nintendo are at fault here and the devs did a brilliant job on the game.

We need unions in the industry or something...shit.

What? This has nothing to do with unions, he wasn't abused at work nor was he fired. He left of his own accord because he didn't like what was being done to his work, which is entirely understandable. Unions don't exist to make marketing decisions for companies.

antonz

This is exactly how companies get into bad market situations: making judgments based on pride rather than concrete outcomes.

Yes, EA tossed Nintendo to the wind, for a mixture of good and bad reasons. Individual human beings at Nintendo were probably offended by that. But in business, that happened because EA had all the leverage in this relationship. Nintendo needed EA's support for their systems to perform well; EA didn't need Nintendo for anything. When someone has that much leverage over you, it doesn't matter if they were kind of a dick once; you're not gonna get what you want from them unless you make concessions.

Also, what I think is particularly relevant in this case is that by taking this kind of hardball approach with EA, Nintendo didn't just alienate people who were working at EA; they alienated people who left to form new developers (like Alex Ward) and all the people who talk to people at EA (and since EA's a huge company with tons of influential devs, that's almost everyone.)

Absolutely right. I think it has a lot to do with the ignorant notion held by some at Nintendo that they don't need others. Crytek was willing to bring Crysis 3(regardless of how people view it) but EA had no interest in funding it and when Crytek asked Nintendo they refused.

Not that Crysis 3 or a better advertised NFS would save the Wii U but sure as hell would be better than the deafening silence and large gaps of nothing released periods.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Sucks the game didn't sell well. I bought it, granted half-off at launch. I enjoyed it.

Having just gone through the process myself, I found it rather painless. The only issue for me was how long it can take sometimes from submit to final approval... Which is, granted, a rather large issue, I know I found it annoying. Can be a bit of wasted time if you go through the process several times due to fail/resubmit process.

Out of curiosity, anyone know what the process is like for Sony|Microsoft? I'm curious how long those take.

my experience with MS/ sony is a lot more easier than working with nintendo. MS/ sony do both functional and compliance. functional always takes the longest based on how long your game is. compliance is short because most MF's are within the boot flow or the hw handing the game to sw or how the builds pass dev tools from each manufacture.

The_Lump

Banned
I had no idea there were people stupid enough to be pissed at criterion for NFSMW U. It was a great port and they were openly trying to push the game as hard as they could.

Would prefer if he'd answered the guy on the WiiU self publishing stuff rather than saying "Yawn" but maybe I'm not reading the whole convo there. I understand his reasons for being pissed at how his game was handled but if he's wanting to self publish and indie titles are selling ok on WiiU, then it's understandable why someone would want to know why he wasn't going for it.

Anyway, hopefully he doesn't think all WiiU owners are as narrow minded as that guy. I really enjoyed the game and supported it because it was clear how much effort had been out in. I (and I think most others) were/are fully aware why the game was late, not marketed and was a port of an old game, and it was not the fault of the developers. Criterion are/were ace.

KAP151

NFS has a pretty good track record in terms of brand recognition and sales (at least on 'other' platforms). It still remains the best racing title on the WiiU, which granted isnt saying much.

The fact that EA nor Nintendo gave a shit about this title says a lot.

L Thammy

The publisher, but the console vendor can gives financial breaks or add incentives (like marketing money) to print discs if the publisher thinks they will lose money by making the minimum print requirement (which can be anywhere from 5000-50,000 depending on who the console vendor is, usually at $10-$12 per disc printed as the licensing fee is up front).

Since EA and Nintendo couldn't come to an agreement and EA thought they would lose money, EA didn't print discs for the European release up front.

Thanks. I seem to recall hearing both, so I guess it makes sense that deals are also an option.

This game came out pretty early in the Wii U's life; Nintendo had little reason not to try to push all the games they had as hard as they could in order to get the console off the ground. They really need to overhaul how they communicate and serve third parties completely.

While I think EA is more to blame here (late port, too expensive, almost no marketing), Nintendo should have done more to cater to the one goddamn racing game hitting their platform. Some sort of marketing push at the very least.

That said, totally dismissing the eShop is a mistake, I believe. It sounds like it's based purely on a bad experience he had while he was working with EA. The eShop is one area Nintendo managed to do very well with on the Wii U. Whoever's calling the shots on indie development at Nintendo needs more influence with the rest of the company.

that assumes that you absolve him of any shared blame in the first place. I don't make assumptions like that, especially from what I have heard of this guy.
You're gonna need to drop some hints to his 'jerkiness' tbf. But the fact that he just tweets 'yawn' irks me a little. At least he explains afterward.

I wish one day someone will explain what happened to "unprecedented partnership" instead of the speculations of origins.

Yeah I agree. Maybe if Nintendo went all-out for MWU, and it sold well, maybe things would be different.

Mlatador

Banned
On the other hand it was EA afterall and they pissed off Nintendo big time... So it really was a shitty situation for Criterion to be in (in-between all the drama). No wonder neither side gave a fuck... :/

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Huge fucks by both parties but at the end of the day it's Nintendo's system, not EA's. They need to recognize that they need to bend over backwards and completely change their culture with how they treat what few 3rd parties they may have left.
If any...

Agent X

Somehow I don't think Nintendo was going to bend over backwards for a publisher that dropped them at the drop of a hat.

Well, this was technically before the publisher dropped them, so they could have (and should have) worked something out to help promote the game on Wii U and make it a success. Look at how heavily Microsoft is promoting and advertising Titanfall. Now, I wouldn't realistically expect NFS:MW to get nearly that amount of money thrown at it for marketing support, but it could have gotten something.

Likewise, EA should have also tried to market their own game up. I understand it was a late port and all that (which couldn't be helped--the other versions released before the Wii U console did), but EA totally dropped the ball. The Criterion guys worked hard on the game, even adding some additional polish just for this version, but EA didn't care. When the game underperformed, the corporate brass decided to abandon the platform, without considering their own failures along the way.

You could sense Mr. Ward's frustration with EA as a publisher. No wonder he left the company.

Looks like Nintendo has already given up on WiiU except for some 1st party titles. If the platform holder doesn't care why the F a publisher or dev care about your platform. And then Nintendo fans blame devs/pubs for showing no support just like this guy. Shame.

Taker666

In all honestly..what would be the point in Nintendo marketing a game that released months after the other versions ...which was also double or triple the price of the other versions when it launched ?

Not forgetting that it was pretty clear 5 months prior to the Wii U launching that EA had decided to dump it as a plstform.

The guy uses arrowquotes and calls himself -drone so he's probably from /v/. But god damn Ninty, if your fanboys are starting to turn on you its time to get your shit together. And lol at equating the success of indie eShop games to success with third-party AAA games.

Curious: when they flew to Nintendo looking for marketing support, was that before or after the game had released on other platforms?

The dev came off a bit childish, despite being harassed by the random dude. Nintendo does offer the things he claims to be looking for and indies have found success on Nintendo platforms. He is choosing not to publish on Wii U for purely personal reasons for a situation that had plenty of blame to pass around. That's his right, but it's childish in my mind.

I understand they worked hard and by all accounts made a really great product, not saying that wasn't the case. But this was a rather childish exchange all around.

Mlatador

Banned
Huge fucks by both parties but at the end of the day it's Nintendo's system, not EA's. They need to recognize that they need to bend over backwards and completely change their culture with how they treat what few 3rd parties they may have left.
If any...

Japanese mentality does not work like that.

lupinko

It's refreshing to see a developer being so honest and candid.

edit: I hope Alex Ward's new endeavor gets some measure of success, whatever it is. Burnout Paradise forever.

This, and BP has made me a fan of Ward's for life.

GamerJM

Banned
This is pretty bad. As a Nintendo supporter I really hope and expect them to get their act together when it comes to third-parties by the time they release their Wii U successor. Either that or hopefully they have a plan in mind.

Also, I'm not sure if I agree completely with his reasons not to support the Wii U with Indie games despite allowing self-publishing. I guess it depends on how difficult it is to port a game to the Wii U, but if it's not then I don't see why he could still self-publish on the console despite Nintendo not giving them disc/marketing support since those things aren't really relevant when releasing downloadable Indie games. The important thing should be that Nintendo actually does have a good self-publishing policy with Indies, which they do. Then again, he also said to never say never so we'll see, I think I see where he's coming from overall.

The one game where they get a close to definitive version, and Nintendo gave absolutely zero fucks. Sounds about right.

Zephyrus

Banned

excuse my off topic, but I call bullshit on your tag. Now after I had the guts to say it
pleasepleasepleasedon'tbanmeohwhydidIhavetosaythat

You know this can turn upside down. Remember the whole Oddworld thing?:

“Well, we’ve already announced versions of Stranger and Munch for the Vita, but with regards to Nintendo, currently I’m not interested in working with them, or on their platform. Having developed a number of titles over the years for their various platforms, it’s become increasingly apparent that unless you are published by Nintendo you don’t tend to do very well.

“They also have this crazy regard to IP and refuse to sign NDAs with indie-developer/publishers, leaving us small guys open to having our ideas stolen with no recourse. We have already looked at doing some stuff on iOS and all I can say is watch this space.”

Then at E3, two Oddworld games were announced, the reason? Nintendo came to them and they changed their minds.

Alex

That quip about indie games selling more on 3DS/Wii U than fucking Steam is some extremely comedic cherry picking.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
What? This has nothing to do with unions, he wasn't abused at work nor was he fired. He left of his own accord because he didn't like what was being done to his work, which is entirely understandable. Unions don't exist to make marketing decisions for companies.

Oh I know, perhaps it was a little premature. But just reading about what his says feeding his family, as well as seeing reports of devs taking shit tons of hours away from their families to work on a game; makes me feel...I don't know, guilty in a way.

On the topic at hand though, as a UK gaffer, I actually didn't see any promo for this game outside a YouTube trailer and the £45 price tag on Amazon. Fuck that.

-MB-

SO EA refuses to do their duty as a publisher yet it is Nintendo who gets all the blame here, makes perfect sense.

wrowa

In all honestly..what would be the point in Nintendo marketing a game that released months after the other versions ...which was also double or triple the price of the other versions when it launched ?
Yeah, I agree with that notion. I can't imagine that Sony or Microsoft would be very eager to help marketing a late port, either. There's just nothing in it for them. Even if it was technically a little superior to the other versions, it was still a game everyone interested in likely has already played.

You're gonna need to drop some hints to his 'jerkiness' tbf. But the fact that he just tweets 'yawn' irks me a little. At least he explains afterward.

I would have thought it should be common sense that people don't take a disaffected former employees opinion as gospel anyway; I was just adding some colour.

It's up to you to decide if this guy is speaking the honest truth instead just engaging in some roundabout self-marketing.

L Thammy

In and of itself it may not mean much. But giving multiple ports more exposure may still provide the impression that there's a lot coming to the system, that it's receiving healthy support. It would also help them build relationships - and big publishers are the sort of companies that Nintendo should want to build a relationship with.

Japanese mentality does not work like that.

Sony is a Japanese company; they don't seem to have that problem.

Silky

Banned
SO EA refuses to do their duty as a publisher yet it is Nintendo who gets all the blame here, makes perfect sense.

They had no control over launch date & price (EA) and they had no support distribution/marketing wise even when asking for it. (Nintendo.)

Both are in the wrong.

I am happy he started his own company to get away from the EA mess but I am not sure why he expected support from Nintendo for an EA published/IP owned game?

I am a bit confused by that. After EA basically threw the Wii U under the bus how exactly was Nintendo support of Need For Speed Most Wanted U suppose to happen?

I loved that game and got it even after I got burnt by Mass Effect 3 on Wii U when it did not get a collector's edition. EA was burning Nintendo left and right around that time unless Alex Ward could tell us why he expected Nintendo to still step up and support his dev team it is still hard for me to understand why Nintendo is the bad guy in this OP.

Without EA as your publisher I am sure Nintendo can help you as an indie

EA can afford to burn those bridges but for an indie to hold a grudge over what happened with a NFS port is kinda weird.

Well, that's really fucked, specially from Nintendo, when trying to launch a platform.

I'm sure giving that late port of Arkham City such prominent presence during the E3 before launch did wonders for their system. I mean, I get this developer's frustration, I really do. It sucks, but there was little incentive for Nintendo to put any marketing muscle behind a late port no matter how definitive it was. At worst they are secondary to this problem and it's mostly on EA for bailing out on the very project they green-lit themselves.

Top Bottom