• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop talks about Switch. Higher attach rate than Wii U / Q1 launch "smart move"

phanphare

Banned
yeah the March launch was very smart. it helps out everyone, pretty much. like that other video mentioned it separates the hardcore Nintendo fans from the lapsed Nintendo fans and other gamers who might want to buy around the holiday season so now they're not all fighting for the same limited stock. it also allows Nintendo time to build a nice library and install base ahead of its first holiday season to entice those lapsed Nintendo gamers and people potentially looking to purchase the console and all of that holiday stock will go to them since the hardcore Nintendo fans have already bought in. plus if Nintendo is making deals with big AAA western 3rd parties for games releasing in the fall they'll have a bigger install base to sell their games to giving those games a bigger shot at being successful.

I'm kind of surprised by the higher attach rate since I feel this lineup is smaller and weaker overall. I'm definitely buying less games for the Switch at launch than the Wii U and I'm the type who probably buys too many games at launch to play with on the new toy. I think I bought 6 for the Wii U.

Makes sense if there's a high attach rate. When I buy a new system I usually tend to get 3-5 games for it because I guess it helps justify the purchase, and gives me more new toys to play with.

To be fair Wii U had a tonne of scalpers buying it to sell at a profit who all got burnt, they wouldn't have been buying any games for it, presumably switch doesnt have that problem

Josh5890

Maybe a bit of a reach but if Nintendo has a great first 12 months, especially around Christmas, could the other guys start thinking about releasing consoles in March next time around?

Regiruler

I would imagine it has to have a better attach rate because it's literally useless otherwise.

Wii U was backwards compatible, and as noted came with the pack-in. People already had something they could play.

I would imagine it has to have a better attach rate because it's literally useless otherwise.

Wii U was backwards compatible, and as noted came with the pack-in. People already had something they could play.

I'm pretty sure pack-ins are counted in attach rates but yeah the point about BC is a good one.

Chindogg

I mean, to be honest is that really a bad thing? Who wouldn't have wanted to get a PS4 a few months before it actually came out, regardless of games?

We did. What did PS4 have that anyone really cared about in it's first two years other than Resogun?

To be fair Wii U had a tonne of scalpers buying it to sell at a profit who all got burnt, they wouldn't have been buying any games for it, presumably switch doesnt have that problem

Scalpers preordering games with their consoles?

daxgame

that's kinda surprising.
We're talking about Gamestop so obviously not digital stuff.
Personally Bomberman is the only second game that I've considered but I'm waiting for a small price drop first. I feel between 25-35€ is more appropriate.

I mean aside from the obvious Zelda, it's either 1-2 Switch, Bomberman, Just Dance 2017, Skylanders Imaginators for retail, no?
Having a really hard time believing this.

Spinluck

We did. What did PS4 have that anyone really cared about in it's first two years other than Resogun?

PS4 launch fucking sucked. I remember not having anything to play for a while.

But Xbone's was far worse.

Switch's is kinda weak, but having Zelda helps a ton.

Dremorak

Banned
Very similar view to what Arlo posted about on youtube a couple of days ago. Get the hardcore fans in the asap, the young adults etc with zelda and 1 2 switch as a drinking party game. Then when christmas rolls around, sell to those kids and familys HARD with pokemon and mario.

Reading through gaming topics is like watching alt-right vs left debates on YT comments at times.
so your theory is humans act on different topics similar?. i do find that's not far fetched.

switch will do very well initially. i just can't gauge the long term success already

Sterok

I'm not impressed by 1-2-Switch, but I definitely think it has the potential to surprise people. Not to Wii Sports levels, but not a repeat of Nintendo Land's failure either.

dickroach

The reason people are buying more launch software, despite the lineup being really sub-par (excluding Zelda) compared to Wii U's launch is due to people actually being excited about the Switch.

The idea that this is just another Wii U situation is nonsense and I hope people are finally starting to realize it.

maybe wait until after the system launches to call people out for jumping to conclusions about how the system is going to do.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I agree, I think that's more than likely the way the top 3 sellers will be ranked

Exactly. Also, Just Dance and Skylanders will sell far, far less than the top 3, and I'm in the "Bomberman will surprise people" boat.

Baleoce

I think 1-2 Switch will sell well initially by virtue of the fact it's being marketed generously to showcase the system potential, and it's one of the few (2?) boxed retail games available at launch that is also a Nintendo game. I suspect it'll go down in value rapidly maybe a month or two afterwards and you'll see a lot of second hand copies on shelves. It's clever for that reason alone that they've decided to release it at launch.

Sony and MS releasing their consoles at Q4 to coincide with the releases of big 3rd party games. Nintendo don't have that, but they have Zelda. So, a Q1 release makes more sense.

Vinnk

Does Super Bomberman R have a chance to hit the NPD top 10?

I can't even believe I am writing these words...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It could be that people are preordering Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Arms right? Wouldn't that count towards attach rate if you're putting money down?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Without the numbers, the statement means little.

I doubt Wii U set a high bar for attach rate.

Loris146

Scalpers preordering games with their consoles?

Brand recognition , third party games , better price point than the competition ( WII u does not count here) , etc...

Ridley327

I can't even believe I am writing these words...

Probably not. Zelda is a given, but everything else will have to compete with the likes of the current mainstays on the charts, as well as big new releases like Ghost Recon Wildlands and Mass Effect: Andromeda.

I would be surprised, if only because the top 10 charts are now packaged + digital for participating digital publishers, and Nintendo is not a participating digital publisher.

Would certainly be cool though.

Sterok

I would be surprised, if only because the top 10 charts are now packaged + digital for participating digital publishers, and Nintendo is not a participating digital publisher.

Would certainly be cool though.

Is Nintendo publishing Bomberman, or does Konami not give digital numbers?

Gotta remember, the WiiU had a lot of ports of games available on other systems that ran better or were cheaper. The unique software wasn't wildly compelling. The Switch may be launching with less games but the software itself is much more compelling and a lot of it is more exclusive based. Zelda, Bomberman and 1 2 Switch aren't on other systems so it makes sense that they would draw more interest.

Gotta remember, the WiiU had a lot of ports of games available on other systems that ran better or were cheaper. The unique software wasn't wildly compelling. The Switch may be launching with less games but the software itself is much more compelling and a lot of it is more exclusive based. Zelda, Bomberman and 1 2 Switch aren't on other systems so it makes sense that they would draw more interest.

Wut? The launch lineup has 2 exclusive games, 12Switch and Bomberman. Zelda's on Wii U, just dance and skylanders are on every other system months ago, world of goo is ancient, little inferno was out near wii u launch, i am setsuna's been out for awhile. Boxed Binding of Isaac is cool but it was delayed.

noshten

1st is Zelda
2nd is 1 2 Switch
3rd is Super Bomberman R

is my guess

Those are the three launch games sure, but I'm thinking maybe people are preordering some indie titles as well, also I've no doubt that Snipperclippers will get a physical release in less than a few months. The game will definitely be a top eShop title.
In terms of the launch I think games that embrace the local multiplayer that the Switch is able to provide will do well on the system as it's a major selling point. If Bomberman R wasn't a game you could play against 8 other people I'd pass but just the fact that it has that online and local component means I will wait and snag it when it goes down a bit in price. 1 2 Switch is something I will buy simply because I want to get an idea about the rumble and functionality of the controls. Personally I'm treating my 1 2 Switch purchase as a tech demo for the joycons.
Indies are a no brainer for me, personally those are the type of purchases I feel good about regardless of the amount of time I spend on them. I hope Switch really takes off as an indie machine because it allows the market to finally have a vibrant midtier ecosystem.
Still not sure when I will get a Switch because it's not an urgent need I'm thinking mid March. I'm the type of person that doesn't care about spoilers so when I play Zelda isn't really important. My decision was sealed with the March Testfire... Zelda BotW on the go is like a nice bonus, I might end up buying the Wii U version at some point as well it be nice to buy one final game for the Wii U.

Both the Wii U and 3DS launches were very underwhelming - Zelda does trump the entire Wii U or 3DS launch lineups and the indies/smaller 3rd party titles kinda of provide different secondary options. Also as someone mentioned pre-orders could also be counted for things like MK8D, Arms, Splatoon 2 in the US.

Wut? The launch lineup has 2 exclusive games, 12Switch and Bomberman. Zelda's on Wii U, just dance and skylanders are on every other system months ago, world of goo is ancient, little inferno was out near wii u launch, i am setsuna's been out for awhile. Boxed Binding of Isaac is cool but it was delayed.

If you're not already a Wii U owner, Breath of the Wild is a de facto Switch exclusive since Nintendo hasn't shipped any Wii Us since late last year.

Hattori

Banned
He's right, I only bought NSMB U on launch whereas I have almost every single physical game preordered for the Switch.

Top Bottom