• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop talks about Switch. Higher attach rate than Wii U / Q1 launch "smart move"

I'm kind of annoyed that GameStop are gloating about attach rate because I had to buy one of their shitty bundles to get launch day stock.

Yeah my Switch has an attach rate of 3 but in terms of games I really wanted it's only one.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm kind of annoyed that GameStop are gloating about attach rate because I had to buy one of their shitty bundles to get launch day stock.

Yeah my Switch has an attach rate of 3 but in terms of games I really wanted it's only one.

You know I forgot about these bundles they did. Some others probably did this for the same reason you did and it contributes to their sales numbers. Well uh.......

If you're not already a Wii U owner, Breath of the Wild is a de facto Switch exclusive since Nintendo hasn't shipped any Wii Us since late last year.

And Gamecube was selling abysmally when Twilight Princess came out. It still wasn't a "de facto" exclusive. There are more Wii Us in the wild than Switches that will be sold in the first year, so I wonder how many people are like me and cancelled the Wii U version preorder to "switch" over. Obviously the Switch version will sell far better than the Wii U one, as I expect the Zelda attach rate should be at least 60% for people buying the system at launch.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think the launch window is smart.

Games aren't toys any longer, and having a pipeline up before Xmas (stock of inventory, games, etc) and a built in fan base already playing the games and system for word of mouth is only smart.

I have a lot of issues with the launch lineup and some of the direction, but the March launch feels super smart.

Quonny

The only way my friend could get one at launch was to buy one of their stupid bundles.

So that attach rate may be misleading (I don't know if he Wii U launch was the same).

Nairume

Banned
The only way my friend could get one at launch was to buy one of their stupid bundles.

So that attach rate may be misleading (I don't know if he Wii U launch was the same).
I don't think the forced bundles are really that much of Gamestop's overall stock of Switch preorders to where it would make terribly much of a difference in the attach rate.

maybe wait until after the system launches to call people out for jumping to conclusions about how the system is going to do.

Nah, I feel perfectly fine calling them out now!

Please bookmark this post. If I'm the one who's wrong and the Switch is a Wii U-level disaster, please call ME out!

Oddduck

I think Bomberman sales may surprise people.

Bomberman is currently #6 on Amazon's best selling games right now.

Bomberman_2.jpg

And Bomberman is sold out on Amazon Canada.

Wow at how high Super Bomberman R is. How happy will Konami be? Nintendo did them a favor. Now, Konami better bring back Castlevania after this.

Zelda's attach rate is going to be absolutely insane.

It's gotta be like 99%, right?

I'm going to wait for sales to get Bomberman and 1 2 Switch, personally. I'll probably pick Iaasac and Snipperclips, though. I'd say VC games too but I'm beginning to doubt them at launch.

Should we assume there are no more announcements for Switch launch games? If so, I will be picking up BOTW, Bomberman and Setsuna at launch. I'm actually intrigued with 1-2-Switch and would love to play it in a family setting.

Randomizer

What he was saying kind of sound like the whole 'soft launch' theory. Which is a very smart move imo. By releasing at a time of less competetion it allows them to develop an install base and a decent sized library for the next holiday season.

Cerium

There are people buying the Switch version of Zelda who haven't been able to secure a console yet.

Attach rate might be more than 100% on launch day.

KingBroly

Banned
It's gotta be like 99%, right?

I'm going to wait for sales to get Bomberman and 1 2 Switch, personally. I'll probably pick Iaasac and Snipperclips, though. I'd say VC games too but I'm beginning to doubt them at launch.

Probably a tiny smidge over 1:1 when you consider some will buy multiple SKU's of Zelda on Day 1.

Crayon

The march launch is very smart, given the situation Nintendo is in. The jokes about early access console have a kernel of truth but it's not a bad thin in this case.

Fisty

With carts, amiibo, tons of accessories and multiple color options, yeah I bet Gamestop is loving the Switch

Veitsev

There are people buying the Switch version of Zelda who haven't been able to secure a console yet.

Attach rate might be more than 100% on launch day.

This is a good point and kind of crazy.

If you are buying a Switch I have no idea why you would not buy Zelda. Attach rate has to be near 100%.

I know I decided to pick up 1 2 Switch after hearing the warioware devs worked on it. And I normally avoid the tech demo-ish launch games.

Speely

Banned
Prediction: BotW is going to dominate awards in 2017. Assuming it's an amazing game (which is a safe bet) and releasing big DLC in the holiday season means that it will have dominated much of the year at that time. Unless that DLC sucks, it will rocket the game back into everyone's minds once it drops.

2017 = Zelda. Full stop.

Like the launch time. If they can build up supplies for EOY i.e. holidays to meet demand things have the potential to be golden. Fingers crossed!

Doctre81

Maybe a bit of a reach but if Nintendo has a great first 12 months, especially around Christmas, could the other guys start thinking about releasing consoles in March next time around?

Possibly. But actually I believe the ps2 launched in a certain territory in march anyway.

Top Bottom