• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop talks about Switch. Higher attach rate than Wii U / Q1 launch "smart move"

Thought some people might find some of this info a bit interesting. Eric Bright the director of merchandising at GameStop did an interview about the Switch and the retailers perspective on it, and I thought there was a couple interesting tid bits of info. Keep in mind of course a retailer isn't going to bad mouth a console manufacturers new product, but still they seem enthusiastic about the launch

Firstly it seems they like the Q1 launch over the Q4 launch

”The Q1 launch is one of the smartest moves Nintendo could have done," Bright said. ”Instead of pushing units out during the heaviest time of the year (in Q4), this allows them to build a base. So by holiday, we can focus on games. There will be millions of people who will be hungry for content, creating a richer development cycle for game publishers who will have an install base to support titles. This also will take some of the brunt off of Christmas and enable Switch to be better stocked at stores."

Secondly, and this is the really cool piece of info, despite the relatively slim amount of offerings at launch for the Switch, it appears it actually has a better software attatch rate at launch than the Wii U did. Bodes pretty well for Zelda / the other launch games

"From our sales perspective, we're seeing incredible demand. We're pleased with the Switch attach rate. People are not just buying one game. They're buying multiple games." Bright added that Switch is enjoying a higher attach rate than Wii U, which included a pack-in game, although he wouldn't specify numbers.

more at the link

http://www.alistdaily.com/strategy/gamestop-nintendo-switch-pre-orders-attach-rate-higher-wii-u/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=alistdaily&utm_content=GameStop:%20Nintendo%20Switch%20Pre-Orders%27%20Attach%20Rate%20Higher%20Than%20Wii%20U

Very curious to see what the second most bought game at launch is going to be.

This the Wii U had a ton of great launch games like Zombi U, BLOPS II, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Sonic Racing Transformed.

Conversely at launch aside from Zelda everything seems comparatively weaker.

Then again the vast majority of people bought a SKU with Nintendo Land so that already had them one game up.

The reason people are buying more launch software, despite the lineup being really sub-par (excluding Zelda) compared to Wii U's launch is due to people actually being excited about the Switch.

The idea that this is just another Wii U situation is nonsense and I hope people are finally starting to realize it.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I think most people would agree we're about to enter another Nintendo Golden Age.

You can feel the excitement in the air.

Welfare

Zelda, 1 2 Switch, and Bomberman seem like great launch pick ups. There is also Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in April so there will be some good software sales for the Switch launch.

Well of course people are buying multiple games, it doesnt come with anything.

Its a shame 1,2 switch doesnt come with the console. Be interesting what the attach rate is.

In all fairness, it's not hard to have such a high attach rate when there's only like 6 or 7 physical games out for it.

Attach rate = number of games sold per system.

Why would having fewer games increase attach rates? In theory, you'd think having fewer games means there are fewer games that people will actually want to buy, making the attach rate lower.

The best-kept secret of Switch is that it actually has an amazing launch lineup - especially compared to any of Nintendo's recent systems, bar Wii.

Vena

In all fairness, it's not hard to have such a high attach rate when there's only like 6 or 7 physical launch line-up games out for it.

Well of course people are buying multiple games, it doesnt come with anything.

Its a shame 1,2 switch doesnt come with the console. Be interesting what the attach rate is.

The point is its selling more than the WiiU, which launched with a lot more games in physical retail AND came with a pack-in (which would be counted towards attach).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I think Bomberman sales may surprise people.
That's a game I'll play with many non Switch owners. It can only be a blast with 4 joycons, can't it? I'm sure this multiplayer experience in the most improbable places will sell hardware.

In all fairness, it's not hard to have such a high attach rate when there's only like 6 or 7 physical launch line-up games out for it.
Attach rate isn't number of games bought out of total available games, it's simply number of games bought per console period. Having more games available would typically increase the attach rate. If the majority of people were buying it just for Zelda we'd be seeing an attach rate around 1.

I wonder if GameStop is including preorders in their numbers?

purg3

slept with Malkin
They’re buying multiple games.” Bright added that Switch is enjoying a higher attach rate than Wii U, which included a pack-in game, although he wouldn’t specify numbers.

I would be interested in seeing the actual numbers here.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
GameStop talking good about new hardware.
News at Ten.

lmao actually aren't they in danger of going out of business soon with everyone using amazon or going digital?

I haven't bought anything there in ages but I stepped foot in one a few weeks ago and half the store was that Funko Pop garbage.

Isn't multiple software purchases for console launches par for course?

But more software purchases per console than the Wii U had, when the Wii U had far, far more games available is the big news.

Although, is a packed in game counted in an attach rate? If so that's even more impressive.

1 2 Switch seems to be an absolutely brilliant drunken party game. I am excited to see the idiocy that comes about playing it with my friends.

It's also the type of thing which has a great potential to go viral.

not what that means. it's "games sold per console sold" not "percentage of all games on the system that you've bought." that stat would be damn hilarious, though. wonder what gaffer comes closest to having 100% of a system's library.

the wii's attach rate was like, 8 or 9. that doesn't mean the average wii owner owned every game for the system 8 times. it means they bought 8 or 9 new pieces of software at retail on average

Oneself

lmao actually aren't they in danger of going out of business soon with everyone using amazon or going digital?

I haven't bought anything there in ages but I stepped foot in one a few weeks ago and half the store was that Funko Pop garbage.
Yeah I still have store credit there, I should spend that ASAP.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I really think third parties failed by not having a core game at launch.

Things like Resident evil 7 or gta 5 would sell quite well and face almost no competition

Top Bottom