• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop talks about Switch. Higher attach rate than Wii U / Q1 launch "smart move"

watershed

Banned
Good for Nintendo and good for gamers who are seeing stuff they want to play day 1. For me its just gonna be Zelda and Snipperclips for a while. I am Setsuna has some appeal but I'll have to read reviews and see more gameplay first.

jmizzal

I really think third parties failed by not having a core game at launch.

Things like Resident evil 7 or gta 5 would sell quite well and face almost no competition

I agree with that, though Rockstar prob wont miss the money, but Capcom and others could have made a lot

Cuburt

“The Q1 launch is one of the smartest moves Nintendo could have done,” Bright said. “Instead of pushing units out during the heaviest time of the year (in Q4), this allows them to build a base. So by holiday, we can focus on games. There will be millions of people who will be hungry for content, creating a richer development cycle for game publishers who will have an install base to support titles. This also will take some of the brunt off of Christmas and enable Switch to be better stocked at stores.”
All this basically reinforces the soft launch theory because this is what people have been pointing out why Nintendo would do this, why 3rd parties would be on board with this strategy, and why a retailer like Gamestop would actually be happy with a Q1 launch over a Holiday launch, at least for a console like the Switch.

No retailer wants to deal with the supply constraints of launch, especially worldwide launches, during the holidays and would much rather have a steady supply of widely available hardware they can actually sell, as well a people picking up more games during that period (people who own the console and those who are just now picking it up) rather than that rush of games all at once while a sizable portion of those launch games will just sit on the shelves while people buy the most hyped AAA titles only.

We'll see how it works out for Nintendo, but if this is successful, it wouldn't be surprising for Microsoft and Sony to follow suit to some degree. We've seen how the film industry used to think only certain seasons could be successful for blockbuster films (or any films for that matter) but now we are getting releases outside of the summer window and the winter/spring break able to have great success.

Isn't summer thought of as a good time for game sales (before kids go back to school) but we don't a ton of big releases before summer or hardware launches? I mean, lots of people pointed to Pokemon Go's huge success due to it being released in the summer. Nintendo putting out the console with Zelda then having ARMS, MK8D, and Splatoon 2 going into the summer when people will be out playing with their friends (with online while it's still free over the summer) seems like a winning strategy.

Cerium

Prediction: BotW is going to dominate awards in 2017. Assuming it's an amazing game (which is a safe bet) and releasing big DLC in the holiday season means that it will have dominated much of the year at that time. Unless that DLC sucks, it will rocket the game back into everyone's minds once it drops.

2017 = Zelda. Full stop.
Mario Odyssey is a holiday title.

Meesh

I think most people would agree we're about to enter another Nintendo Golden Age.

You can feel the excitement in the air.
Well for me, if Mon Hun was in the launch line up it'd be the biggest/best Nintendo launch ever lol. Still pretty good... loves me a good Zelda... and the hardware from all accounts seems rock solid/tight... sadly as exited as I am I'm not getting one at launch. Can't afford it this time. Hopefully a few months down the road... but we're definitely not seeing a WiiU repeat.

Nintendo made the right decision. It has a higher attach rate than the Wii U and the Wii U came with a pack in (deluxe) AND it launched with like 30 games?

The month of March has some nice games to look forward too

-BotW
-Super Duper Bomberman R
-I am Setsuna
-Snake Pass
-Snipperclips
-Fast Racing RMX
-Binding of Isaac
-Has Been Heroes

When was the last time the Wii U had a good month like this? There are some other games too. Yeah, there are some ports, but it's expected. There's only so much games I can buy. I only have so much money to spend.

Mory Dunz

Prediction: BotW is going to dominate awards in 2017. Assuming it's an amazing game (which is a safe bet) and releasing big DLC in the holiday season means that it will have dominated much of the year at that time. Unless that DLC sucks, it will rocket the game back into everyone's minds once it drops.

2017 = Zelda. Full stop.

Even if it's like a 99 meta, I don't think so. Certain categories will be won by western big hitters no matter what

- Best Story (even if the story in Zelda is good, it's not winning this award. We all know it. Since the narrative isn't the focus, etc. Something cutscene heavy will win like Horizon I assume)
- Best Writing ( see above)
- Best VA ( see above. I don't think there will be enough VA for awards to give it)
- Best Technical GFX (cause the artstyle and being on Switch/Wii U)

But it can win GOTY, Best Graphics Artistic, Best Action/Adventure

It's interesting how awards are tailored to certain types of games I guess

TLZ

Banned
Very good to hear, thanks. Maybe 1, 2, Switch is going to be a lot more popular than GAF thinks?

More like infamous.

Nintendo made the right decision. It has a higher attach rate than the Wii U and the Wii U came with a pack in (deluxe) AND it launched with like 30 games?

The month of March has some nice games to look forward too

-BotW
-Super Duper Bomberman R
-I am Setsuna
-Snake Pass
-Snipperclips
-Fast Racing RMX
-Binding of Isaac
-Has Been Heroes

When was the last time the Wii U had a good month like this? There are some other games too. Yeah, there are some ports, but it's expected. There's only so much games I can buy. I only have so much money to spend.

Your opinion, but my opinion is apart from Zelda, all these games are nothing to write home about.

This attach rate is more excitement for the device than the launch lineup at offer. If we had Zelda-level launch games, I doubt any of these current ones get any attention.

Jobbs

Banned
For me, it's a one game console. It would have been a two console game but I'm not paying $40 for Binding of Isaac (whose idea was that??).

..But that's fine. PS4 was a zero game console to me for a while. It didn't even have one killer app at launch. I remember playing Warframe on launch day because even though I got Killzone it was boring me to tears.

meirl

Banned
Of course. Gamestop loves the Switch. Mainly because it still uses physical game carts and going All digital is Not really an Option, which is Great for Gamestop.

Very good to hear, thanks. Maybe 1, 2, Switch is going to be a lot more popular than GAF thinks?

Once again, Nintendo proving GAF wrong

d50626fc07.gif

Top Bottom